PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Mc Hammer Monk (Master of Many styles) Build

Drothmal
2012-03-06, 08:54 PM
First, quick disclaimer to my players (you know who you are!): Stay away!!! :smallfurious:

Are they gone? Ok, let us proceed

For listening while reading this thread (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyEE0qpfeig)

So, I have been toying with a concept (I'm sure that has come up a couple times in the past, but I cannot seem to find a thread that has everything I need) for a fairly important NPC boss - though I might end up trying this myself in the future - and I would like to turn to the playground for advice

I want to make a monk that specializes in counterattacking. For this, I have turned to a Master of Many styles (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/master-of-many-styles) using both Crane Style and Snake Style at the same time

Here's the build for the lvl 10 NPC (Monk=Master of Many styles + Quinggong archetypes, Fighter = Lorewarden)

20PB (with racial adjustment): 14, 18, 12, 10, 14, 8

{table=head]level|Class|BAB|Feat|Monk Bonus|Fighter bonus|Extra
1 |Monk| 0 |Crane Style| Crane Wing | |Dodge
2 |Lore Warden| 1 ||| Weapon Finesse
3 |Monk| 2| Snake Style |Snake Fang
4 |Lore Warden| 3 | || Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes
5 |Monk| 4| TWF
6 |Monk| 5|
7 |Monk| 5| Mantis Style |Mantis Torment
8 |Monk| 6|
9 |Monk| 7| SF: Sense motive
10 |Monk| 8|[/table]

The idea behind this build is deflect up to 2 attacks per turn (one with Crane style, one with Snake Style. These would be used against the enemies highest bonus attacks) and then go for high AC (getting barksking through Quinggong, fighting defensively) for the other attacks, raining AoO on the enemies, using Mantis style to stun and acrobatics to move around the battlefield...

At least, this was my plan until I came across the Hungry Ghost archetype. The Punishing kick ability looks awesome for this build (avoid full round attacks by enemies by deflecting the first attack and using the free AoO to kick them away). On top of that, the ability to recover Ki could do a lot for the build (all AoOs from Snake Style have to be unarmed stikes, but maybe there's room for 2-wielding a high crit weapon and a fist to keep the ki coming). The problem with this archetype is that the build loses stunning fist, so it's no longer useful to take Mantis style... I looked at the the other styles, but nothing seemed very useful (snapping turtle is only a +2 shield bonus, which seems rather low for a 2 feat investment)

Anyways, that's the idea behind the build. I would appreciate any suggestions for either the non-hungry ghost or the hungry ghost build

Some questions to get the discussion started
1) Is the hungry ghost archetype worth it?
1-a) Would it be good to have a high crit weapon available to use with TWF? (keen wakisashi or something like that)
1-b) Are there any good styles out there if the build does not have access to stunning fist? (Dragon style seems like the best option)
2) are there any other ways to just bypass attacks? (I looked into duelist, but the parry ability uses an immediate action, the same as Snake Style)
3) As far as I can tell (and I have read a couple threads about it), this is perfectly valid but, just in case: Is there anything wrong with the build?

i think this is a pretty neat idea, so I'll try to keep the first post updated with the latest version of the build

Jack Zander
2012-03-07, 10:00 AM
Hungry ghost is one of the best ways to build a monk when you combine it with Quiggong. However, for the purposes of your build, I'd go with a Flowing Monk of the Sacred Mountian. Stunning Fist and Punshing Kick can be taken as feats latger in your build, but what you cannot take as a feat is the flowing monk's Redirection ability. It pretty much acts just as Punishing Kick but with the added bonus of making your enemies sickened. Also, it uses an immediate action whenever someone attacks you so you can use it even if someone tumbles past your reach or you've used all your AoOs for the round.