PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5 PRC for Vow of Peace] Speaker of Calm Futures (PEACH)

Magikeeper
2012-03-07, 01:16 AM
Why use this class:

When trying to level my Vow of Peace cohort I realized that there is not a lot of support for D&D when trying to wage peace. Even if your party is okay with diplomatically avoiding as many combats as possible, the rules don’t help you out much besides the inherent OPness of diplomacy. And if your DM interprets diplomacy in a useful but less OP fashion (like mine does), there isn’t really a class for you. Concordant speaker of IO is good for 3 levels, and if you are LG there is that exalted preaching class. There is also Apostle of Peace, if you are into poverty. But the Apostle only gets one class feature that promotes making peace, the other two are about banishing evil entities. Oh, and oddly fast spellcasting progression (Which is likely why the vow of poverty is required). So here is a class that actually improves a character’s ability to wage peace (I hope).

Speaker of Calm Futures

Hit Die: d8

Requirements
To qualify to become a Speaker of Calm Futures, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Any Good
Skills: Diplomacy 8 ranks
Spells: Able to cast 1st-level divine spells.
Feats: Sacred Vow, Vow of Nonviolence, Vow of Peace

Class Skills
The Speaker of Calm Futures’ class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (Any) (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), and Speak Language (None).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Spells Per Day

+0
+2
+0
+2
Expanded Vows, Joyous Vow, Tongues
+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

+1
+3
+0
+3
Living Embassy, Serene Touch
-

+1
+3
+1
+3
Great Communicator, Bonus Speaker Feat

+2
+4
+1
+4
Path of the Sage

+2
+4
+1
+4
Advanced Diplomat, Detect Negative Emotions
-

+3
+5
+2
+5
Majestic Communicator, Bonus Speaker Feat

+3
+5
+2
+5
Soul of Peace, Worldly Speaker

+4
+6
+2
+6
Universal Communicator, Drawn to Plight
-

+4
+6
+3
+6
One with What Is, Bonus Speaker Feat

+5
+7
+3
+7
Universal Peace

Class Features
All of the following are features of the Speaker of Calm Futures prestige class.
Weapon Proficiency: A Speaker of Calm Futures does not gain any armor or weapon proficiency.

Spells per Day: At every level except 2nd, 5th, and 8th the Speaker of Calm Futures gains new spells per day and an increased caster level as if she had also gained a level in whatever divine spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class level. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If a character had more than one spellcasting class before she became a Speaker of Calm Futures, she must decide to which class she adds each level of Speaker of Calm Futures for the purpose of determining spells per day and caster level.

Expanded Vows (Ex): A Speaker of Calm Futures can willingly increase the restrictions of vow of nonviolence and vow of peace in order to include other creature types. For example, she could alter her vow of peace to apply to undead as well as living creatures. The benefits of these feats may now be applied to the chosen creature types if they could not already (such as using vow of nonviolence’s save DC increases against undead). A speaker may expand their vows at any time by meditating for an hour, but they cannot reverse this expansion.

Joyous Vow (Su): A Speaker of Clam Futures can choose, as a free action, to have their vow of peace’s aura only effect negative emotions (hate, rage, etc). She may resume the vow’s regular effect (calming all strong emotions, such as joy) as a free action.

Tongues (Su): A Speaker of Calm Futures can speak with any creature that has a language, as though using a tongues spell.

Living Embassy (Su): Any creature that would be effected by the vow of nonviolence of a 2nd level or higher Speaker must make a will save (Save DC 10 + ½ Speaker’s HD + the speaker’s Charisma modifier) whenever they attempt to harm the Speaker. If they fail the save, the attack/spell/etc fails and the creature cannot attack the Speaker again for one minute. This includes spells and supernatural abilities. If the speaker performs any action that would end the effects of a sanctuary spell cast upon her she loses the the benefits of this ability for 10 minutes.

Serene Touch(Su): At 2nd level, a Speaker of Calm futures gains the ability to pacify violent creatures with a successful melee touch attack. The touched creature is effected as though by the calm emotions spell, except that only anger, hatred, and other hostile emotions are suppressed. The touched creature is also protected as though a Sanctuary spell had been cast upon it, except that the save DC is the same as the Speaker’s Living Embassy ability. These effects last for as long as the touched creature is within 20ft of the Speaker and for one minute per class level after that. Breaking the sanctuary effect (as per the spell) does not end the calming effect. An enemy that attacks a creature benefiting from the sanctuary effects of multiple Serene Touches makes a single saving throw and applies it to all of the Serene Touches effecting that creature. Using this ability does not end sanctuary effects cast upon the speaker.

Great Communicator (Su): Once per day per class level, a Speaker of at least 3rd level may mimic any of the following spells: Speak with Plants, Speak with animals*, or Stone Tell. The effect’s caster level equals the Speaker’s hit dice.
*A Speaker of Calm futures can also use this effect to speak with vermin.

Bonus Speaker Feat: At 3rd level the Speaker of Calm Futures gains a bonus feat. This feat must either grant a bonus to diplomacy, give a new use for the diplomacy skill, be an exalted feat, or otherwise aid the Speaker’s ability to create peace in the world in a direct manner. The Speaker cannot choose a feat that improves their ability to harm others, even if it is exalted. The Speaker gains an additional bonus feat every three class levels beyond the third.

Path of the Sage (Su): A 4th level or higher Speaker of Calm Futures gains a bonus equal to her class level on all Handle Animal, Sense Motive, and Diplomacy checks. Furthermore, the speaker no longer needs to eat or drink and becomes immune to non-magical diseases.

Advanced Diplomat (Ex): A 5th level or higher Speaker of Calm Futures can use any feat that grants bonuses to diplomacy or gives a new use of the diplomacy skill with any creatures she has sworn not to harm via vow of peace, ignoring creature type restrictions. For example, a Speaker that has expanded their vows to include constructs could use the Undead Empathy feat to make diplomacy checks against mindless constructs. Other restrictions such as “mindless” still apply. Furthermore, the Speaker of Calm Futures no longer receives a penalty when making rushed diplomacy checks.

Detect Negative Emotions(Su): A 5th level or higher Speaker can attempt to sense negative emotions within 10ft per class level as a swift action at will. The amount of information revealed depends on the number of rounds spent using this ability:
1st round – The presence or absence of negative emotions.
2nd round – The location of each individual experiencing these emotions and the relative severity of these emotions.
3rd round - The Speaker learns the nature of the emotions (Fear, Hatred, Etc). Each target may hide this nature by making a bluff check opposed by the Speaker’s sense motive check.
This ability is blocked by any effect that blocks detect magic and has a caster level equal to the Speaker’s hit dice for the purpose of overcoming nondetection effects.

Majestic Communicator(Su): A Speaker of at least 6th level can use the Stone Tell effect of her Great Communicator ability on any permanent non-magical solid material, such as Iron or Dirt. A speaker can only talk with up to 10 cubic feet of the material per caster level at any given time.

Soul of Peace(Ex): A 7th level Speaker of Calm Futures has such a serene presence that she can make diplomacy checks without speaking or sharing a common language, although the creature(s) must be aware of her presence. This allows her to use the diplomacy skill as a swift or immediate action without penalty (but only when not speaking). The Speaker cannot raise a creature’s attitude above friendly (or its initial attitude if better than friendly) without speaking unless she spends an entire minute making the check. The Speaker cannot conceal uses of this ability - even without speaking it is clear to any creature aware of the Speaker's presence that she is making a diplomacy check.

Worldly Speaker(Su): A 7th level Speaker of Calm Futures may communicate with animals, plants, and vermin without having to expend uses of her Great Communicator ability (this does not include the benefits of Majestic and Universal Communicator). The starting attitude of all non-sentient non-evil living creatures towards the Speaker is one step better than it would normally be (Hostile -> Unfriendly, etc).

Universal Communicator(Su): A Speaker of at least 8th level can use the Speak with Plants effect of her Great Communicator ability to speak with lingering spell effects and magic items. For example, she could consult a Hallow spell to learn who has been in its area recently. She can also use this ability to speak to non-permanent effects and liquids, such as a bonfire or a pool of water, provided it lasts long enough to answer. A Speaker can only talk with up to 10 cubic feet of the material per caster level at any given time, although there is no limit on the size of a spell effect.

Drawn to Plight(Su): An 8th level or higher Speaker of Calm Futures can meditate for one hour to learn the general location of greatest mass of ill-intent, hatred, sorrow, and other negative emotions in her area ("In that City", "Roughly 5 miles to the North", etc). Her senses may extend up to five miles per class level in all directions. She also receives a general idea of what the emotions are related to (Such as hatred towards a particular race, or sadness due to a recent natural disaster). At the DM’s discretion there may be more than one mass of negative emotions worthy of note. Very powerful individuals may count as a mass, although in a peaceful land less powerful individuals and smaller groups may be revealed by this ability.

One with what Is(Su): A Speaker of at least 9th level may communicate with any permanent non-magical solid materials without expending uses of her Great Communicator ability. This does not include the benefits of Universal Communicator. Also, the starting attitude of all non-sentient non-evil creatures is one step better than it would normally be (Hostile -> Unfriendly, etc). This stacks with the effect of Worldly Speaker, so the attitude of living non-sentient non-evil beings is improved by two steps. This benefit does not apply to any creature type that the Speaker has not sworn not to harm via Vow of Peace.

Universal Calm(Su): A 10th level Speaker of Calm Futures can make diplomacy checks to influence non-living, unattended objects and forces. Each such check requires that she expend a daily use of her Great Communicator ability. For example, she could convince a Fireball to be less deadly or talk a hurricane into peacefully dispersing… See the chart below for the effects of a successful check (Assume all non-living objects and forces start off as indifferent when determining the DC). Using this ability is an immediate action against instantaneous effects, but otherwise takes the normal amount of time for a diplomacy check. Using this ability against a spell increases the Diplomacy check DC by an amount equal to the spell’s save DC (or the DC it would have if it had one). Using this ability against some other nonliving object or force might also increase the diplomacy DC as decided by the DM. The Speaker always knows if they are even capable of improving the force's attitude (if the DC to improve its attitude is not greater than the Speaker's diplomacy modifier +20).

EFFECTS OF UNIVERSAL CALM:
Hostile: The object/force will alter itself/change course/ or otherwise be changed to become more violent towards everyone. For example, a fireball might deal vile damage.
Unfriendly: The object/force will alter itself/change course/ or otherwise be changed to become more violent towards the Speaker for her insolence. For example, a Fireball might raise the Speaker’s save DC by an additional 50%.
Indifferent: Nothing happens.
Friendly: The object/force will alter itself/change course/ or otherwise be changed to be somewhat more pleasant for the speaker. For example, a Fireball might lower its save DC or a Hurricane will slightly alter its course to avoid the speaker’s village.
Helpful: The object/force will alter itself/change course/ or otherwise be changed to help everyone. For example a Fireball might deal non-lethal damage or a Hurricane might simply disperse.
Fanatic: The object/force will be miraculously changed to better the lot of others. For example, a fireball might heal instead of harm or a case of Mummy Rot could repair the victim’s body before curing itself.

The Mentalist
2012-03-07, 02:41 AM
Okay, not entirely sure about balance yet (will come back with that) but THIS! THIS IS WHAT VOPeace was supposed to be! Communication! (And the capstone is amazingly epic coolness)

Now to balance (first draft) If you allow RAW diplo this could be even more broken than Wizard but no-one allows RAW diplo so it's fine there. I really think that this is a beautifully flavorful class and I will be using on an NPC.

On further review when looking at the Living Embassy thing, with expanded vows it turns any combat with this guy into a save or lose. Also, as for the communicator things maybe make them at will and give the capstone a times per day? (This guy's shtick seems to fit being able to talk to anyone at anytime.) I could see both arguments for that one though, and it's a personal choice.

Magikeeper
2012-03-07, 02:02 PM
I have altered Serene Touch so that you can no longer infini-stack them on a creature. Well, you can still stack them but it doesn't cause enemies to make additional saves.

On further review when looking at the Living Embassy thing, with expanded vows it turns any combat with this guy into a save or lose. Also, as for the communicator things maybe make them at will and give the capstone a times per day? (This guy's shtick seems to fit being able to talk to anyone at anytime.) I could see both arguments for that one though, and it's a personal choice.

Living Embassy: Hmm... I might need to actually see this in action to judge it. I mean, it is basically a much better version of sanctuary. Maybe I should change the 24hr effect to... a minute? That would give the Speaker time to make a diplomacy check.

As for the communicator abilities, I'm not sure what you are asking for. The class already gains the ability to speak to animals/plants/vermin at will at level 7 and the ability to speak to non-magical solids at level 9. The only thing the uses per day are still being used for by the time you get the capstone are the two Universal abilities.

The Mentalist
2012-03-07, 02:32 PM
I have altered Serene Touch so that you can no longer infini-stack them on a creature. Well, you can still stack them but it doesn't cause enemies to make additional saves.

That will help I think.

Living Embassy: Hmm... I might need to actually see this in action to judge it. I mean, it is basically a much better version of sanctuary. Maybe I should change the 24hr effect to... a minute? That would give the Speaker time to make a diplomacy check.

I think that could help, allowing another save after a minute would make it a bit easier to actually hit this guy.

As for the communicator abilities, I'm not sure what you are asking for. The class already gain the ability to speak to animals/plants/vermin at will at level 7 and the ability to speak to non-magical solids at level 9. The only thing the uses per day are still being used for by the time you get the capstone are the two Universal abilities.

I missed that sorry, it was kind of late when I read this.

Magikeeper
2012-03-08, 01:58 PM
I removed the random level 10 feat. I didn't notice it was there (The text correctly described when you get the bonus feats). Does this class really need to lose a caster level at 2/5/8? I considered 2/7.

Magikeeper
2014-04-05, 01:40 PM
Bump to note some recent (if minor) changes!

I edited the table - the old version no longer worked post-forum change. Anyone else using old-forum center-based table methods should check their old stuff as well!

I also altered the spells-per-day text to actually increase your caster level. Looking at the SRD suggests there is no standard wording for this?

I notice that the picture I was using is gone as well. Should I just post a link to one instead of showing it on the page? I don't want to run afoul of the forums new(well, old by now) rules regarding copyrights.

I also added "Speak Language" to class skills. Not that useful given the tongues ability, but it is still fits the theme of the class.

silphael
2014-04-07, 07:52 AM
Are you sure the wording of Serene Touch allow it to not supress Living Embassy? Since Serene Touch states "attack" that may be considered, by RAW, a breaching of the Sanctuary like effect of Living Embassy.

Amnoriath
2014-04-07, 10:08 AM
Are you sure the wording of Serene Touch allow it to not supress Living Embassy? Since Serene Touch states "attack" that may be considered, by RAW, a breaching of the Sanctuary like effect of Living Embassy.

I wouldn't consider Serene Touch an attack at all. It is more like passing on the Vow of Peace abilities to another person. While it does restrict attacking that is already happening so therefore it wouldn't be a harmful action in that situation.

Amnoriath
2014-04-07, 10:18 AM
This is a fantastic PrC and really succeeds in representing what peace is all about both tangibly and metaphysically. This just makes the Apostle of Peace look like a way to compensate you for your vows rather than embrace them.

Magikeeper
2014-04-07, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the comments!

@Serene Touch - I can see the argument for this breaking sanctuary. Calm emotions could be viewed as an attack, and it does make an attack roll. It can be argued the other way as well, but I decided to just add a line at the end of Serene Touch specifying it doesn't end sanctuary effects cast on the speaker.

Edit: Added Spot, Listen, and Gather Information to class skills. Because.. I don't know why those weren't there in the first place...