PDA

View Full Version : Cleric build advice

ahenobarbi
2012-03-07, 12:33 PM
My character:
Race: Human
Class: Cleric 2
Domain: Spell, Rune
Feats: Divine Spell Power, Improved Turning, Scribe Scroll (Rune domain)
I will get to level 3 soon so I have to decide how to advance. I consider 3 ways:

1. Cleric 5 / Dweomerkeeper 10/ ? 5
2. Cleric 7 / Thaumaturgist 5 / Malconvoker 8
3. Cleric 5 / Sorcerer 1 /Mystic Theurge 10 / ? 4

Note 1: Anyspell fulfills any "can cast arcane spells" requirement with my DM.
Note 2: I can use Dweomerkeeper from "Faiths and Pantheons" not from Complete Divine web...

I have two questions:
1. Which build has most potential for power?
2. Dweomerkeeper requires shuriken proficiency. Is there any way to get it other than actually wasting a feat?

gbprime
2012-03-07, 01:46 PM
Malconvoker is the least powerful of the three, certainly.

Both Dweomerkeeper and Mystic Theurge allow you to have a greater repetoire of spells to react with. MT has the advantage of greatly extending the character's "battery life" at the cost of needing to develop a second casting stat and with the limitation that half your casting won't get above 6th level spells at best.

So if your campaign is one where the players can and do run out of daily spells and allows you to pick up enough magic gear for two stat enhancement items, then Mystic Theurge is more powerful. But if you're not likely to NEED all those spell slots each day, Dweomerkeeper is a solid choice.

macdaddy
2012-03-08, 01:43 PM
If you can get into mystic theurge via that route, its not too bad. Your cleric level will only suffer a dip of 1, while sorcerer will be far, far, far, behind. You won't have access to 2nd level sorc spells until 9th level and 3rd at 11th level.

Also depends heavily on your charisma as to how good it would be.

Overall, I would probably say
2. Cleric 7 / Thaumaturgist 5 / Malconvoker 8

Monster summoning power house.

pfz555
2012-03-08, 02:06 PM
As far as Shuriken Proficiency goes you could try a Monk dip. As a cleric you're probably wearing armor so you won't get some of the better class benefits but a 1 level dip gets you a bonus feat and 2 levels gets you 2 bonus feats so it's not a complete waste. Depending on whether you're allowed to access the variants of monk or not that gives you a pretty good selection of feats to choose from.

Godskook
2012-03-08, 05:12 PM
How about Ardent/Psychic Theurge. You get a straight wis dependency, and with the right powers, you can easily give up actual armor in favor of a monk's belt. And you can bulk up your HP with Vigor tricks.

The build would look like this:

Cleric 2/Ardent 1/Cleric +1/Psychic Theurge 10/Clericy stuff +6

Feat
Level 3 - Practiced Manifester(Ardent)*

*The trick here is to use practiced manifester to boost your ML as you level up, allowing you to select powers as a 3rd level manifester(only works with Ardents at all, due to how they learn powers). Your DM might not let the Ardent select higher level powers at level 1 depending on how he views level up progression, and if so, just take a second level of Ardent, its still worth it.

ahenobarbi
2012-03-09, 04:55 PM
I can't use psionics. So I can't go Ardent/Psychic Theurge.
One player made good some decent gishes some time ago (and possibly improved them further by cheating). Other players think they can optimize, but... it's like "look my fireball is soooo huge (casts it into melee between allies and obviously-fire-immune enemies)"

I don't think I will run out of spells often but sorcerers get some spells that would be great for melee cleric (nerve skitter, wings of cover, quickened true strike, ...).

gbprime, you surprised me. I thought malconvoker (at if I take 5 levels in it) would be pretty good. But when I was writing reply I realized that maybe it's not as good as I thought. Extra summon is nice but other benefits aren't so great for 1 level of spell progression (extra damage and HP are ok, longer duration probably will not matter, ability to summon evil creatures is good).

Abilities of this character are (I think I will middle-age the character about 8th level):

Str: 12
Dex: 11
Con: 13
Int: 10
Wis: 15
Cha: 14