PDA

View Full Version : So, Dungeon World.

dsmiles
2012-03-07, 01:46 PM
I recently registered for not one, but TWO, Dungeon World sessions at DC GameDay. Is anyone here familiar with the system?

It seems pretty simple, but I'd like to hear some other opinions on it.

I'll definitely be posting a log of the sessions somewhere on here after GameDay, hopefully it will give others insight into it.

Thanks.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-03-08, 03:26 PM
I have the PDF around somewhere on another computer, but I remember really liking it from my read-through. Haven't played it, though. Out of all the gamers I know, I'm the one with the fringe RPG interests.

The basic idea of DW is that everything that happens is based around an "action to action" flow. Something starts, and then someone picks a "move" to react to it. That move makes things happen, and then someone reacts to the result with a move of their own. In theory, it keeps snowballing like that.

I haven't actually seen it play out, though, so I can't describe it much better. There's a lot of things I like about it, though. It has a gritty, edgy "in your face" old-school feel.

Totally Guy
2012-03-08, 03:39 PM
I ran the sample adventure from the book and I was suitably impressed!

The cleric was attacked by a goblin at the bottom of the shaft and asked for divine guidance, should he kill it or not? The others fighting above disarmed an enemy and a sword fell and stuck out the ground near the cleric's hand.

He thought that was awesome!

Then when fighting the mad wizard Grundeloch at stone circle he asked for divine guidance again. I asked him what his precepts were and he named suffering and secrets. I told him that Grundeloch was a man who'd suffered greatly to attain his secrets. The clouds parted and cast light upon him.

He was wracked with conflict!

He chose his own vengeance over his deity.

The player thought the game was awesome.

I love the fronts mechanic.

eggs
2012-03-08, 06:33 PM
It's a really nice, easy system for archetype-driven dungeon-dive type games. It basically nails the stereotypical old-school D&D feel without making you dig through the mechanics of D&D.

Don't expect to go into involved wargames or to spend time nerding out over character builds. Basically bards who play music and act silly, clerics who heal and cudgel and fighters who yell at things and whack them with their swords.

I like the system, but it doesn't have a lot of depth or room for extended campaign growth. It's fantastic for one-shots, but it doesn't have the character-driven or tactical depth I usually look for in prolonged campaigns.

If you like it, you should try Apocalypse World. It uses a slightly deeper version of the system for a pretty unique take on a post-apocalyptic Road Warrior-type game.

dsmiles
2012-03-08, 07:03 PM
Thanks, it sounds like a system I'm going to enjoy. I don't really go in for the tactical stuff, I prefer narrative combats and action sequences (like in Mouse Guard), so this sounds perfect!

dsmiles
2012-03-24, 09:44 PM
So, DC GameDay has come and gone, and here are my thoughts on Dungeon World:

It. Is. AWESOME!!!

Simple character creation, simple experience system, simple everything. I absolutely love it for its simplicity. It makes setting up a game a breeze! I needed a total of 3 dice for two four-hour sessions (2d6 and 1d8).

Combat is a fast, narrative process where the enemies only really attack you if you fail in your attack. Combat is SICK! You can do almost anything you can think of, and not get bogged down in rules. There are 'basic moves' like Hack & Slash and Defy Danger, and then there are class specific 'moves' like Backstab or Spellcasting. You tell the GM what you want to do in the narrative, and he tells you which move to roll against. And it's an easy-to-learn 2d6+modifier roll versus a pretty static target number. 10. You always want to roll a 10 or better. 7-9 usually works, but it's a conditional success. (For instance: you hit your enemy, but they also hit you.)

Damage is determined by your class rather than your weapon, so the Rule of Cool is definitely in play. You wanna play a Fighter who's actually a caveman with a bone club? Do it. Bone clubs are just as effective as a longsword, which is just as effective as a fist.

I'll do a game journal tomorrow, if anyone wants to read it. But it's late, and I need to hit the rack. :smallsmile:

UserClone
2012-03-25, 01:34 PM
The two words that best describe Dungeon World are as follows, and I quote:

F***.
YES.

I'm waiting with baited breath for the inevitable Kickstarter campaign.

dsmiles
2012-03-25, 01:38 PM
I'm waiting with baited breath for the inevitable Kickstarter campaign.There just was one to publish three adventures for DW. It ended last night. (It was successful, I might add. :smallsmile:)

UserClone
2012-03-25, 02:00 PM
I pledged for the full set of hardbacks. :smallbiggrin:

I mean, it's based loosely on Age of Worms, how could it fail? And also, the Ziggurat of the Sun Princess is crazy good...

Totally Guy
2012-03-25, 02:04 PM
I missed another kickstarter...

dsmiles
2012-03-25, 02:12 PM
I pledged for the full set of hardbacks. :smallbiggrin:
I got to play two of them at DC GameDay. It was pretty epic. :smallbiggrin:

UserClone
2012-03-25, 04:18 PM
I got to play two of them at DC GameDay. It was pretty epic. :smallbiggrin:

JEALOUSSSSSS...

UserClone
2012-03-25, 05:24 PM
I missed another kickstarter...

Meh, I'm certain Josh will be selling it at some point through another means besides Kickstarter.

dsmiles
2012-03-25, 05:26 PM
Meh, I'm certain Josh will be selling it at some point through another means besides Kickstarter.August-ish is what he said at DC GameDay. Did I mention Josh ran the two adventures I played in? :smalltongue:

UserClone
2012-03-25, 05:41 PM
Lol, who better?:smalltongue: