PDA

View Full Version : Optimized kobold

B33rm4n
2012-03-07, 02:41 PM
Alright! so, i've been thumbing through some books, and i came acrossed a kobold riding a dire weasel in the Races of the dragon book, and needless to say i became incredibly enthralled. I ask the forum to give me a great build for a Mounted combat oriented build for this, All sourcebooks are available EXCEPT Tome of battle. Ranged mounted combat is also acceptable. Just looking for some ideas on how to play this vat of cool factor w/o draining the power of our party.

Mystify
2012-03-07, 02:42 PM
Sorcerer on a weasle? Kobold's racial penalties hurt less for sorcerers, though you will be rather squishy. Which is why you have a mount to keep you out of danger and have mobilty while casting.

chaotician375
2012-03-07, 03:18 PM
Theres a PrC in Complete warrior called Halfling Outrider. I know your a kobald not a Halfling, but maybe your DM willl be flexible with this and let you play a Kobold that rides some sort of flightless drake, or a riding dog or something. While you technicly don't meet the racial prerequisite, your DM might let you be a Kobold Outrider, or a Kobold Raider or something cool like that. But go fighter and take feats for mounted combat and then CHARGE INTO BATTLE ON YOUR MIGHTY STEED!!!

Rubik
2012-03-07, 03:21 PM
A Dragonwrought Kobold psychic warrior/whirling pounce lion totem barbarian with the Wild Cohort feat. Grab a dire weasel, mounted combat feats, the Linked Power feat, and buff powers.

Then make your enemies explode with your brain.

Later on, try to go for a level of thrallherd for a were-weasel swarm thrall, just for kicks.

Randomguy
2012-03-07, 04:08 PM
Mounted archery is pretty useful, if played well. You could go druid or ranger for a dire weasel animal companion and then head into Wild Plains Outrider in complete adventurer so you can full attack while your mount moves. Look up some archery and mounted archery guides for help.

B33rm4n
2012-03-07, 05:02 PM
These are all good ideas, i looked into the build rubik gave me, i've never really played a psionic character so i might have to look into that harder.
Is cavalier worth taking a look into?

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-03-07, 05:06 PM
You may wish to more carefully choose the title of your threads. Those two words mean something quite different than what you are asking in your post, and is perilously close to invoking the Gamer's Corollary to Godwin's Law (As an online discussion on the topic of D&D grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Pun-Pun approaches 1).

Your request is rather open-ended and general, with only a single book prohibited (one which tends to spark debates in and of itself, but I digress...). You haven't described what you want your kobold to do, other than sit on a weasel and not suck. This can go anywhere from a Mailman-esque Warmage/Incantatrix build to a Warlock/Binder/HFW/Legacy Champion to a Swift Hunter build to a Totemist/Crinti Shadowpounce build...

Please clarify what it is you are wanting, and try your request again.

B33rm4n
2012-03-07, 05:16 PM
Apologies schneeky, i've been playing 3.5 for a long time but i am very new to the d20 forums. My group consists of a Shot on the run based scout-->highland
stalker build, a base assassin build, and a fear based swashbuckler who wants to advance into scarlet corsair later. The campaign is based in a mountainous snowy region, (lots of scrolls of endure elements going out) and i'm looking for a build with high mobility that can duck in and out of combat efficiently in a low magic campaign

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-03-07, 05:47 PM
Apologies schneeky, i've been playing 3.5 for a long time but i am very new to the d20 forums. My group consists of a Shot on the run based scout-->highland
stalker build, a base assassin build, and a fear based swashbuckler who wants to advance into scarlet corsair later. The campaign is based in a mountainous snowy region, (lots of scrolls of endure elements going out) and i'm looking for a build with high mobility that can duck in and out of combat efficiently in a low magic campaign

Okay, so it looks like your party has zero healing or status effect removal whatsoever.

It's a low magic campaign... does this mean there are restrictions on classes you can play? Would you be penalized for playing, say, a Clericzilla?

B33rm4n
2012-03-07, 06:11 PM
No magic classes (sorc/wiz/cleric/druid ect) potions scrolls and wands can be bought for spells of up to 4th level at increased price, SLA and su/ex like the ninjas ki abilities still work. paladins and rangers still are granted their spells and so are most other classes (Hexblade/bard) get their spells up to 4th level (being somewhat nerfed later obviously.) UMD is pretty important it seems for this campaign which our rogue and swashbuckler (via able learner) have started filling in for The minor spellcasting available.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-03-07, 07:18 PM
No magic classes (sorc/wiz/cleric/druid ect) potions scrolls and wands can be bought for spells of up to 4th level at increased price, SLA and su/ex like the ninjas ki abilities still work. paladins and rangers still are granted their spells and so are most other classes (Hexblade/bard) get their spells up to 4th level (being somewhat nerfed later obviously.) UMD is pretty important it seems for this campaign which our rogue and swashbuckler (via able learner) have started filling in for The minor spellcasting available.

If SLA's work, I'd strongly suggest Warlock. They actually get the ability to Take 10 on UMD checks, making them valuable as a wand-wielder. I'd also dip Binder for Naberous and go straight into Hellfire Warlock for massive damage boost, then pair it with Legacy Champion for even more damage boost and still has a lot of other Invocations known.

If HFW gets vetoed, or if Legacy Champion seems a bit too cheesy, then go straight Warlock. When you hit level 12, you get the ability to be your own MagicMart, so even if the GM is stingy with magic items, you can get your fix. See if you can dip Chameleon... normally it has a silly prerequisite of Human or Changeling, but see if your GM will let you get away with it as a Kobold. That way, you get the floating feat for Item Creation feats when you want to make something, or Extra Invocation when you're doing adventuring.