PDA

View Full Version : Wild Cohort? Where?

Brock Samson
2012-03-07, 04:03 PM
I've heard a lot of refernece to the Wild Cohort feat, just curious where this can actually be found at and if it's ever NOT a good/fun idea.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-03-07, 04:05 PM
Right here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a), probably not a great idea in a big party because combat is already going to be a bit slow, but otherwise great for anyone.

Rubik
2012-03-07, 04:06 PM
I've heard a lot of refernece to the Wild Cohort feat, just curious where this can actually be found at and if it's ever NOT a good/fun idea.It's online. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a)

The only times WC isn't a good idea is if you're already feat-starved, or you know your DM would just kill it because he's a jerk and doesn't want his players having nice things (which I've dealt with before).

So...yeah.

[edit] Swordsage'd!

Right here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a), probably not a great idea in a big party because combat is already going to be a bit slow, but otherwise great for anyone.It really doesn't take any extra time if you use it as a mount, though, unless you have it attack as well. And even then it's not THAT much.

INoKnowNames
2012-03-07, 05:50 PM
If your Dm is nice enough, ask if you can apply the Natural Bond Feat (from Complete Adventurer) to Wild Cohort. Not that much of a stretch, despite it being listed for Animal Companions.

Boom: Full Strength Animal Companion (minus some of the special abilities).

In one game, I actually traded my Ranger's Animal Companion, then took Wild Cohort and Natural Bond. And now I'm mounted on a Tiger, rather than walking with a Wolf.

http://rlv.zcache.com/like_a_boss_sticker-p217269681513024420z85xz_400.jpg

Coidzor
2012-03-07, 05:57 PM
About the only time I can think of to not take it is if one is in a feat-starved build, the only real corner case I can think of would be an inspire courage bard who would have to choose between, say, song of the heart or wild cohort and whether a 1 or 2 lower IC bonus would be worth the extra IC platform.

It's one that I think would get picked by almost anyone with access to it and some format like E6 or the ability to spend XP for feats.

Kaeso
2012-03-07, 06:50 PM
You wanna know when it's NOT a good idea to take wild Cohort? You got it, mate. Human Druid 20 with two flaws.

Feats
Flaw 1: Wild cohort
Flaw 2: Wild cohort
Human: Wild cohort
Level 1: Wild Cohort
Level 3: Wild cohort
Level 6: Natural spell
Level 9: Wild cohort
Level 12: Wild cohort
Level 15: Wild cohort
Level 18: Wild cohort

Congratulations, you're an entire party. Thats not even counting your already way too strong animal compantion, your ability to change into a bear and your ability to summon natural allies. Can somebody say "bear cavalry"?

Zaq
2012-03-07, 07:29 PM
You wanna know when it's NOT a good idea to take wild Cohort? You got it, mate. Human Druid 20 with two flaws.

Feats

Congratulations, you're an entire party. Thats not even counting your already way too strong animal compantion, your ability to change into a bear and your ability to summon natural allies. Can somebody say "bear cavalry"?

Strictly speaking, you can't take WC twice (you can only take any feat once unless it explicitly says otherwise), but that's a funny picture, to be sure. Level 6 especially made me laugh.

INoKnowNames
2012-03-07, 08:27 PM
Your own Party? That's a campaign right there! Summon Mooks, Cohorts as King Mooks, Animal Companion as Sub Boss, and Human Druid as Boss...

Not a bad idea, actually....

Coidzor
2012-03-07, 08:41 PM

Feats

Indeed, level 9 should be leadership, level 12 should be dragon cohort, level 15 Improved Cohort.

Rubik
2012-03-07, 08:47 PM
Indeed, level 9 should be leadership, level 12 should be dragon cohort, level 15 Improved Cohort.It says something when the druid would be better off grabbing Natural Spell at level 6 than Leadership (one of the most powerful feats in the game).

Coidzor
2012-03-07, 08:54 PM
It says something when the druid would be better off grabbing Natural Spell at level 6 than Leadership (one of the most powerful feats in the game).

Yup. In my book it says that Druids give up their 6th level spell feat for an ACF that everyone takes.

For others it means that it just isn't a druid without natural spell.

Still others think natural spell is the most broken feat ever.

Crasical
2012-03-08, 12:25 AM
So wait, can you go Ranger into Broodmaster with Wild cohort and end up with Five animal companions at fifteenth level?

Coidzor
2012-03-08, 01:21 AM
So wait, can you go Ranger into Broodmaster with Wild cohort and end up with Five animal companions at fifteenth level?

Hmm? Do you mean the Beastmaster PrC from Complete Adventurer? Only Broodmaster I know of is a Summoner Archetype from Pathfinder.

Flickerdart
2012-03-08, 01:22 AM
If you want to embetter your Wild Cohort, Silverwood Arcanist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031209a) can get it Share Spells, and Silverwood Outrider (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031202a) can control, and eventually push, his Wild Cohort as a free action.

Crasical
2012-03-08, 01:27 AM
Hmm? Do you mean the Beastmaster PrC from Complete Adventurer? Only Broodmaster I know of is a Summoner Archetype from Pathfinder.

Derp, yes, that is what I meant.