PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] alternate Con/HP rule [PEACH]

zlefin
2012-03-07, 05:55 PM
I dislike how the con modifier to hp can all too easily overshadow class and monster races base hit die. I'd like to ensure that even at high con values, fighters have alot more hp than wizards; and that low con doesn't drop people to unplayably low hp levels (though it still will be low; just not as horrible as a -1 or -2 con mod would normally be); so people can actually choose more of a range of consitutions instead of every class going for a high one.
So I'd like to change it from a number based system to a % based system.
Calculate your base hp without modifier; then multiply by CON/10.
So a lvl 4 barbarian with 16 con would have 4d12 * 1.6 hp.
And a lvl 3 wizard with 8 con would have 3d4 * 0.8 hp;

This has very little change to d8 and d10 HD.

I'm aware this change might let some casters be rather short on hp at low levels; but the issues of low level survivability already exist; and i'd rather use this solution for the con modifier problem; and use another solution to fix the low level survivability issues.

Anton Spohn
2012-03-07, 07:23 PM
Interesting idea, you could also just make it so all types of creatures have different types of HD, so all humanoids have d4's.

If you want to increase the hp range for higher levels you can have it increase proportionally with level.

I'm not entirely sure i get your problem with Con as it is but it sounds like you might have a fix. Hope it works out.