PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on non-iPad tablets?

Maeglin_Dubh
2012-03-07, 06:40 PM
Been thinking of getting one for reading, writing, gaming (by this I mean roleplaying, not video games. I have a desktop for that. Mostly looking for something to conveniently hold the information I need when DMing.), that sort of thing. Not interested in iPads, because I don't really like Apple all that much. All of my friends with tablets have iPads, but they don't have tablets because they wanted tablets, they have tablets because Apple started making them. I'm convinced if the ghost of Steve Jobs told any of them to kill me, I'd have a fight on my hands.

So, since I'm not interested in the overpriced pieces of shiny metal that Apple wants me to buy from them, what else is out there?

JCarter426
2012-03-07, 06:56 PM
I'm not a fan of tablets, but the upcoming Lenovo IdeaPad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jnrRRAcZc) looks amazing. If you can afford the price and the wait, I'd suggest that.

Mauve Shirt
2012-03-08, 06:06 AM
I've been ogling the Asus Transformer Prime. It has an optional keyboard dock. It also has 4 cores. FOUR. That's as many as 4 ones. And that's awesome.
They've a new model coming out in June or so (TF700), but that means the earlier ones (TF201) are cheaper!

It's about as expensive as an iPad, $400-$500 or so for the tablet + $100 or so for the keyboard. And the newer one will be $600 by itself.

Eloel
2012-03-08, 10:13 AM
I can't recommend kindle fire enough. Budget price, great performance, and well, meh, what else do you need? :smallsmile:

BizzaroStormy
2012-03-08, 10:17 AM
I can't recommend kindle fire enough. Budget price, great performance, and well, meh, what else do you need? :smallsmile:

Gotta agree with you there. Picked one up for $200 and haven regretted it. Sure I can't install anything that isn't an android app but it holds my RPG books well enough that im not lugging around 300 pounds of paper and ink.

Mauve Shirt
2012-03-08, 06:55 PM
You don't get the independent apps though, do you? I thought you had to buy them from the amazon store.

Eloel
2012-03-08, 06:58 PM
You don't get the independent apps though, do you? I thought you had to buy them from the amazon store.

I'm not allowed to tell you if you can get individual apps by forum rules.
Carrots, they're a funny part of the plant they're attached to.

Mauve Shirt
2012-03-08, 07:17 PM
I don't understand anything you said there. :smallconfused: The forum rules forbid talking about products now?

The Underlord
2012-03-08, 09:36 PM
I'm guessing it involves hacking or something.

Riverdance
2012-03-08, 11:19 PM

Yeah that's the first one that comes to mind. A friend of mine also has an Asus tablet which seems to be very capable. They're not too cheap but you can get an attachable keyboard, they're pretty capable, and the battery last for 30+ hours.

Maeglin_Dubh
2012-03-08, 11:35 PM
I was looking at a refurbished Acer Iconia on Newegg...

They're generally good?