PDA

View Full Version : Hoodoo? Idoo!

Zombulian
2012-03-07, 09:32 PM
Hey peeps. I was thinking of making a witch doctor type fellow for a campaign I am playing in right now. Well, actually I've already started playing with him, :smallwink: he's a Sha'ir 3/Geomancer 3 so far and the current basis is that he is connected spiritually to nature as well as the planes. Now from here I have two ideas, both involve adding the whole "dark magic" part of voodoo to the character.
1. Add in Warlock and then Eldritch Theurge, focusing on invocations.
2. Add in Shadowcaster and then Noctumancer, using the fixed rules published by the writer, and focusing on mind affecting mysteries.
So for the flavor which do you guys think would work better? I played with the idea of making potions to imitate voodoo but they seem kinda meh and I don't really want to deal with losing XP. Either way I plan on using Living Zombie servants from Champions of Ruin.

FYI I have already looked at Glyphstone's homebrew class and I like it. But homebrew is a little iffy here.

SilverLeaf167
2012-03-08, 04:03 AM
IIRC, Sha'ir is an arcane caster class, right? You should be able to dual-progress it with Warlock by taking the Eldritch Theurge prestige class from Complete Mage.
For invocations, Fog Cloud, Summon Swarm and whatever-that-Shatter-thing was might be thematically appropriate.

Telonius
2012-03-08, 06:23 AM
If you're talking about emulating what the real-world religion is supposed to "do"? Probably Binder or Spirit Shaman would be your best bet. I can suggest a few books about it and give a bit more detailed explanation if you want to PM me, but any further than that on the open forum is probably against the rules.

If you're going for more of the aesthetic and the popular concept of what it's about, yeah, Warlock is probably better.

hivedragon
2012-03-08, 10:15 AM
There is a system you might wanna check out caleed hoodoo blues by vajra enterprises.