PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Gestalt Druid/Swordsage

Crusader2010
2012-03-08, 06:08 AM
Hello all,

I'm starting a new game, and it's a gestalt one. It's the first time I play gestalt, did some looking around, and settled on a predator cat themed druid/swordsage.

Starting at lvl 1, 32 PB. Flaws allowed (yes, srsly).

Now I could use some advice.

First off; race. Human is always good, but I was thinking perhaps Dreamsight Shifter (Eberron) is better? Also would make me more catty.

Statwise; max Wis, add to Dex?

Then comes the class synergy part. Normally a swordsage with Tiger Claw and Shadow Hand discipline focus would favor two weapon fighting. (I think those two disciplines work best once shifting comes available?) A big question would be if investing a feat in two-weapon fighting is worth it since later I would fight shifted.

For feats, I'm pretty sold on Desert Fire and Desert wind dodge, plus Mobility later on, as the DM has a houserule where AOO's are not done normally. Instead, when a character attacks something that provoked an AOO, they get a +4 bonus to the attack. Mobility would negate that, and the other two feats add 1 dodge AC and 1d6 damage on each attack as long as I keep moving. (the +1 fire damage from Desert wind dodge would be unused but who cares?). With two attacks at lvl 1 and a lot more once I gain shifting, that adds up quickly, especially when combined with maneuvers and stances.

At lvl 1 that would leave me with TWF, Desert Fire and Desert Wind dodge (+1 if human) as feat choices.

I could really use your thoughts.

gkathellar
2012-03-08, 08:17 AM
You'll want to run an Unarmed Swordsage, since while gestalting with a druid you lose absolutely nothing to do so (and gain unarmed strikes you can use while Wild Shaped, not to mention the prereq for Improved Grapple.)

Wis is your top priority, followed by Con. Wild Shape will take care of your other physical stats.

Diamond Mind, Tiger Claw, Shadow Hand and Setting Sun are your big priorities, full stop. Skip Desert Wind - you can't move and full attack until relatively late in your maneuver progression, which rules out your plan for extensive bonus damage from the Desert Wind feats.

The most important feat for a swordsage is Adaptive Style, with Extra Readied Maneuver also ranking pretty high on the list. Don't bother with TWF, since it won't do anything for you when you're Wild Shaped. Consider Shadow Blade - a number of your Wild Shape forms will have good Dexterity, which can add quite a bit of bonus damage.

Think about multiclassing on the swordsage side. Master of Nine is good if you have the spare feats to qualify. Shiba Disciple 1 is fantastic for a build like this if you have the spare feats to qualify. Umbral Disciple 3 is always nice, and you can run Azurin instead of human to help you get bonus feats. Totemist 2 is pretty good for a druid.

Crusader2010
2012-03-08, 08:58 AM
Thanks for your reply gkathellar.

I like your suggestions, but I worry about the lower levels until Wild Shape becomes available. Another rule we have is dead=dead, no resurrections. :smallfrown:

The unarmed swordmage is interesting, but not exactly official. I know it's in the book, but it's listed as a suggestion, not a canon class, right?

Why Con though? Wild shape gives improved Con, right?

gkathellar
2012-03-08, 09:14 AM
Wild Shape increases your Con, but that doesn't actually improve your HP. Make sure you've read the most recent errata for it.

A decent point-buy would be: 16 Wis, 16 Con, 12 Int, 12 Dex, 10 Str, 8 Cha. You could potentially drop Str or Dex for Wis or Int.

Unarmed Swordsage is in the Adaptation section, and it's well-outlined enough that pretty much everyone around these parts regards it as official. It's not strictly necessary, though, so if your DM doesn't see it that way, that's okay.

In terms of low-level survival, your priorities are like those of any other druid: focus on spellcasting, good armor and a good shield, and using your animal companion to keep yourself. Once you get to 2nd level and get the swordsage AC bonus, you'll be in a somewhat better boat.