PDA

View Full Version : Obtain Familiar [CA]

Scarey Nerd
2012-03-08, 07:18 AM
I've never been certain, what classes qualify as arcane classes for the purposes of gaining the Obtain Familiar feat? I know that Bards, do, but what else?

DemonRoach
2012-03-08, 07:22 AM
Factotums, or a wizard/sorcerer with an ACF that stops having a familiar normally. Probably bunch of PrC's as well.

Cog
2012-03-08, 08:00 AM
Any class that says something like

A warmage casts arcane spells (the same type of spells available to sorcerers and wizards)...
qualifies. Classes that give access to arcane spell-likes (Warlock and DFA) qualify as well, but gain less benefit; the scaling benefits of a familiar are granted only for classes that actually cast spell. Factotum falls into the latter case as well.

Pilo
2012-03-08, 08:07 AM
Base class:
Bard, Beguiler, Dread necromancer, Duskblade, Factotum, Hexbalde, Sorcerer, Spellthief, Warmage, Wizard, Wu-jen.
If 3.P: Magus, Witch

Npc: Eberron: Magewright.

Prc: Bladesinger, Suel Arcanamach, Forgotten realms: Knight of the weave.

I think there is more.

Uin
2012-03-08, 08:10 AM
Works well with Duskblades thanks to their d8 HD and full-BAB.

teslas
2012-03-08, 03:31 PM
Factotums, or a wizard/sorcerer with an ACF that stops having a familiar normally. Probably bunch of PrC's as well.
Keep in mind that many ACF's say that you permanently give up your ability to obtain a familiar. While this is possibly open to DM adjudication, RAW, you can't simply take Obtain Familiar at 3rd level to circumvent such a choice.

Diarmuid
2012-03-08, 04:15 PM
I know warlocks can qualify for PrC's that have a CL requirement, dont know if that works for Obtain Familiar though.

nedz
2012-03-08, 05:55 PM
I know warlocks can qualify for PrC's that have a CL requirement, dont know if that works for Obtain Familiar though.

RAW says Arcane Caster Level 3rd
This has been heavily debated, it doesn't seem too unreasonable to allow it however.

Coidzor
2012-03-08, 06:16 PM
I've never been certain, what classes qualify as arcane classes for the purposes of gaining the Obtain Familiar feat? I know that Bards, do, but what else?

Sublime Chords, a number of classes here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181091), wizards or sorcerers who traded their familiar away in certain ways.

If it casts arcane spells, it's an arcane caster. An Assassin could get a familiar after Assassin 3, or at Assassin 1-2 if it could fit both the feat Practiced Spellcaster and the feat Obtain Familiar into those levels.

Cog
2012-03-08, 08:10 PM
They should be able to qualify, but they wouldn't get the scaling benefits. Things like effective HD and skill usage would be in; things like natural armor and evasion would be out.