PDA

View Full Version : Swordsaged?

Rejusu
2012-03-08, 08:55 AM
Title is self-explanatory. I see people throwing around this term fairly often but what does it actually mean? All I can gather is it has something to do with the swordsage class.

panaikhan
2012-03-08, 08:58 AM
It's the 'forum' version of "ninja'd"
{edit} that is to say, someone managed to give the answer you were going to, while you were still typing it

SilverLeaf167
2012-03-08, 09:02 AM
A hidden meaning is also that Swordsages are commonly considered better ninjas than members of the actual Ninja class.

Acanous
2012-03-08, 09:04 AM
It's due to the forum member "Swordsage", who is legendary for replying to threads quickly and with specific information. Like you ask "What book is the feat Mother Cyst in?" and three people respond with the correct answer. The first to do so would be Swordsage, and the other two would have been "Swordsage'd".

SilverLeaf167
2012-03-08, 09:08 AM
It's due to the forum member "Swordsage", who is legendary for replying to threads quickly and with specific information. Like you ask "What book is the feat Mother Cyst in?" and three people respond with the correct answer. The first to do so would be Swordsage, and the other two would have been "Swordsage'd".
You're either mistaken or trolling, as there's no Swordsage on the members list. Unless he quit and deleted his account, that is.

Zaranthan
2012-03-08, 09:17 AM

Sarcasm in blue text, please.

Thanks.

KillianHawkeye
2012-03-08, 09:19 AM
There's nobody called Swordsage on this forum, lol. As panaikhan said, it's typical on this forum when somebody beats you to a post to edit in a comment saying that you've been "ninja'd", because ninjas are quick and stealthy, etc.

But since the ninja class in D&D is pretty weak, some have taken to using the term "swordsage'd" instead. This reflects that the swordsage class can make a better ninja than the actual ninja class.

Darth_Versity
2012-03-08, 10:05 AM
While on the topic of forum lingo and its meaning, I've always wondered about a couple of things.

What does Mary Sue mean, and the same goes for Strawman? Ive seen them thrown around but never understood the meaning.

Kaeso
2012-03-08, 10:13 AM
While on the topic of forum lingo and its meaning, I've always wondered about a couple of things.

What does Mary Sue mean, and the same goes for Strawman? Ive seen them thrown around but never understood the meaning.

Mary Sue is a (female) fictional character that's put in a story to be an utterly pure, perfect and universally loved self-insert character for the author (a common example is Bella from the Twillight series).

A strawman means setting up an argument your opponent never made.

JoshuaZ
2012-03-08, 10:15 AM

A Mary Sue is a character that is nearly perfect and whose only flaws make them seem all the more sympathetic. Generally an author insert. Common in fanfic Almost every character labeled as a Mary Sue in a major work will be disputed by someone. A large amount of disagreement consists of people changing using slightly different definitions to suit their argument.

A strawman is a portrayal of an argument that makes it seem weaker than the argument actually is, often to make it easier to argue against. This comes from the phrase "beating up a strawman" or similar descriptions. An example would be someone saying "Wizards will generally outperform fighters" and then someone arguing against it treating their argument as "Wizards will always beat fighters".

INoKnowNames
2012-03-08, 10:16 AM
Swordsage doesn't have as cool a ring to it as Ninja... I'd sooner be a Pirate than a Swordsage....

But yeah, a crunch thing became a bit of a forum meme. Too bad there isn't a decent Ninja Class...

Darrin
2012-03-08, 10:25 AM

Mary Sue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_sue) comes from literary criticism, and is popular in fanfic. It's where the author inserts an idealized character (usually a stand-in for the actual author) that is super-optimized to deal with any problem or can "magically fix everything", either through unlikely coincidences or being incomprehensibly competent. Example: Wesley Crusher was frequently regarded as a Mary Sue type character on ST:TNG. Readers find them supremely annoying because there's no dramatic tension (Mary Sue can never fail at anything), and it's mostly just the author stroking his/her own ego.

Strawman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawman_argument) is a rhetorical technique. When you want to refute your opponent's argument, you build a similar argument that is structurally similar to your opponent's argument, but typically has a glaring weakness that you can use to dismantle the Strawman. Thus, you "prove" your opponent's argument is flawed by showing that your proxy is flawed.

Some other terms that you may need to know in these forums:

RAW: Rules As Written.
RAI: Rules As Intended.
RAMS: Rules As Makes Sense.
FNORD: Ignore. EitP. Does Not Exist.

Darth_Versity
2012-03-08, 10:28 AM
Mary Sue is a (female) fictional character that's put in a story to be an utterly pure, perfect and universally loved self-insert character for the author (a common example is Bella from the Twillight series).

A strawman means setting up an argument your opponent never made.

A Mary Sue is a character that is nearly perfect and whose only flaws make them seem all the more sympathetic. Generally an author insert. Common in fanfic Almost every character labeled as a Mary Sue in a major work will be disputed by someone. A large amount of disagreement consists of people changing using slightly different definitions to suit their argument.

A strawman is a portrayal of an argument that makes it seem weaker than the argument actually is, often to make it easier to argue against. This comes from the phrase "beating up a strawman" or similar descriptions. An example would be someone saying "Wizards will generally outperform fighters" and then someone arguing against it treating their argument as "Wizards will always beat fighters".

Thank you, I can now be happy with my greater level of forum knowlede

"Darth_Versity has reached level 2":smalltongue:

Douglas
2012-03-08, 10:32 AM
The meaning of the term 'Mary Sue' has been explained well enough already, but here's its origin:
An author named Paula Smith, way back in 1973, noticed a trend in Star Trek fan fiction of people creating blatant wish fulfillment characters to center their stories around. Paula satirized this phenomenon by taking it to a ridiculous extreme in a (very) short story in her magazine, featuring a character named Mary Sue. You can read that story here (http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/dark/1000/marysue.htm).

Rejusu
2012-03-08, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the answers guys. It's funny that it's something as simple as "ninja'd", my original thought was that people posted it whenever someone brought Swordsages into the discussion.

Thank you, I can now be happy with my greater level of forum knowlede

"Darth_Versity has reached level 2":smalltongue:

I'm just nitpicking but Mary Sue and Straw man are more general terms that are used everywhere rather than being forum specific. Just to add my own explanation a straw man is to misrepresent an opponents position. By replacing their argument with a similar but inequivalent argument and then disproving that you create the illusion that you've disproved their original point. And to add that the common male variant of a Mary Sue is a Marty Stu, though he goes by other names.

The meaning of the term 'Mary Sue' has been explained well enough already, but here's its origin:
An author named Paula Smith, way back in 1973, noticed a trend in Star Trek fan fiction of people creating blatant wish fulfillment characters to center their stories around. Paula satirized this phenomenon by taking it to a ridiculous extreme in a (very) short story in her magazine, featuring a character named Mary Sue. You can read that story here (http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/dark/1000/marysue.htm).

Wow, I've always known the meaning of the term but I never knew it's origin. It's kind of crazy to think it came from a Star Trek fanfiction parody.

Big Fau
2012-03-08, 12:42 PM

Incidentally, this is the actually birth of the term "Sarnath'ed" (often shortened to just Nath'd) at MTGSalvation.

Krotchrot
2012-03-08, 01:16 PM
Not to mention the first Slashfiction was StarTrek based as well. *shudder*