PDA

View Full Version : Deflect/Snatch Arrows vs Splash Weapons

Incriptus
2012-03-08, 09:48 AM
What is our opinion on this?

If it is deflected what square does it land in? Can a Person catch a flask of alchemist fire without it breaking?

gallagher
2012-03-08, 10:44 AM
Can a Person catch a flask of alchemist fire without it breaking?

you know, that is an interesting idea. i would like, have you roll a reflex save or something to see if it breaks. rule o' cool

teslas
2012-03-08, 03:35 PM
From Deflect Arrow:
"...you may deflect it so that you take no damage from it."

So this at the very least absolutely means you can avoid taking the d6 damage from that flask of acid or alchemist's fire. I would also wager that it means you probably avoid the splash damage as well. As to what square you deflect it into, yeah, that's the rule of cool as the DM sees it. I'd probably say it fails to break against a wooden or dirt surface, though metal and stone would probably do it.

Snatch Arrows:
"When using the Deflect Arrows feat you may catch the weapon instead of just deflecting it. Thrown weapons can immediately be thrown back at the original attacker (even though it isn’t your turn) or kept for later use."

There is no question here whatsoever. I'm surprised you even asked. Yes, you can catch a splash weapon without any issue. You can even, as the feat says, throw it back at the attacker.

edit-
And let me add that these two feats are generally regarded as lackluster. The Monk class grants it for free, and there's no damn reason to attempt to weaken the Monk any further than it already is. They deserve plenty of love by the DM, so letting your players deflect splash weapons into adjacent enemies is about the the nicest thing you can do--and it's also fun.

deuxhero
2012-03-08, 05:29 PM
3.5 or Pathfinder?

The two explicitly work on bullets in PF (go-go blade grasp!) and RAW in 3.5, so flasks aren't a problem.