PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a group of noobs?

Lionheart
2012-03-08, 10:30 AM
Hi all!
I recently (earlier today) put together an RP group consisting of people completely new to the hobby. One of them has played one game before (though which edition, I'm not sure) and two of the others are heavily into similar things, Skyrim, Runescape, KOTOR, that sort of thing. The fourth has never done anything like this before.

I was wondering if you had any tips for me? Any published adventures ideal ro take their roleplay virginity?

I'm probably going to use PF as a system, simply for the ease of access to the rules.

Thanks in advance!

Yora
2012-03-08, 10:50 AM
Most important: Start very simple! Most of the players have an idea what to expect, but for the beginning the most important thing is to learn the rules. So forget about story and NPCs at first, and give them some time to learn what the things on the character sheets mean and getting used to finding the numbers they need when they make their turns.

There has been lots of praise for "The Sunless Citadel", which I've only read, but it seems really good to me. It's meant to be an adventure for new players with 1st level characters and keeps things simple without devolving into stupid hacking and killing. It's for D&D 3rd Edition, but since it's so simple there is barely any need to make any changes for Pathfinder. It could be that there's a call or two for Wildernes Lore checks, which in PF is called the Survival Skill, but that's pretty much is it.

mucco
2012-03-08, 10:59 AM
Well, KOTOR is basically d20 Star Wars, so if your friend read up on the combat mechanics he should find the system very familiar. Runescape also has a hit/miss type mechanic (Attack=BAB, Strength=Strength, Defense=AC).

They're probably used to having a plot, so provide few clear plot hooks at the start. Have them roll a lot of dice, so they get used to it. Don't explain how stuff works out-of-game but accurately describe the effects. Try to put a focus on team play - it's something lacking in newbies, they all try to make their character the best without considering the others. Also try to direct them to easy classes: Sorcerer, Paladin, Cleric. Tier will not be an issue for a long while.

Anxe
2012-03-08, 01:26 PM
I've run the Sunless Citadel before. Although my players seemed to like the parts of it they did, they never felt like actually finishing the adventure. My personal experience is to stay away from that one. But the idea of running a 1st level module is what I would suggest. Perfect way to get to know the game.