PDA

View Full Version : Yo Dawg, I herd u lik elemental resistances...

Brock Samson
2012-03-08, 06:46 PM
So last session my Beguiler 1/Wizard 4/UM 3 just got hit with a fireball, it did about half my health in damage, and I didn't like that.

We FINALLY just got access to the MIC compendium, and have access to the PH1 and PH2, as well as all the completes. No other books allowed, as we need them in paperback, not just PDF/online.

So with that in mind, what are the best ways to have elemental resistances up on you all day long? (given that I JUST got 4th level spells). Or at least able to bring them up as an immediate action in reaction to someone blasting you. I'm in a group of low op people, fyi, if it matters. I saw a couple things in the Magic Item compendium that give you a +5 or +10 resistance to some elements, just wondering what's best, AND what's best for your buck. Item/spells all welcome.

kardar233
2012-03-08, 06:48 PM
When does Ultimate Magus get the "use spell slots to power metamagic" ability? If you get it soon, grab Persistent Spell and cast Elemental Resistance to last all day.

Zaq
2012-03-08, 06:50 PM
Hmm. Without those restrictions, I'd suggest being an Ironsoul Forgemaster (doesn't fit your particular character, but maybe I could have tempted you).

Anyway, what do we have to work with? Are you willing to give up a level? A feat? Just some gold (how much)? What are you giving us to use?

Ernir
2012-03-08, 06:58 PM
Cloak of Elemental Protection (MIC) is a nice quickfix. It's not particularly good, but it will make you feel better without breaking the bank. :smallbiggrin:

Boots of Sidestepping (Dungeonscape) only works when you're at the edge of the effect, but it's very Neener Neener when it does.

When does Ultimate Magus get the "use spell slots to power metamagic" ability? If you get it soon, grab Persistent Spell and cast Elemental Resistance to last all day.
UM paying for Persist will be available at a level where getting hit by a fireball deserves a laugh. =/

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-03-08, 07:14 PM
Cast Celerity (PH2), spend two 1st level Beguiler spell slots via Versatile Spellcaster to cast Silence, centered on a point in space near enough to catch the guy casting Fireball. His verbal-component-spell is automatically interrupted and lost, spent as though it was cast.

Rubik
2012-03-08, 07:18 PM
Cast Celerity (PH2), spend two 1st level Beguiler spell slots via Versatile Spellcaster to cast Silence, centered on a point in space near enough to catch the guy casting Fireball. His verbal-component-spell is automatically interrupted and lost, spent as though it was cast.Actually, verbal spells have a 50% chance of fizzling in a silence effect, not 100%, except for [Sonic] spells, which obviously won't penetrate an area of silence.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-03-08, 07:26 PM
Actually, verbal spells have a 50% chance of fizzling in a silence effect, not 100%, except for [Sonic] spells, which obviously won't penetrate an area of silence.
I don't see that.

Verbal (V)
A verbal component is a spoken incantation. To provide a verbal component, you must be able to speak in a strong voice. A silence spell or a gag spoils the incantation (and thus the spell). A spellcaster who has been deafened has a 20% chance to spoil any spell with a verbal component that he or she tries to cast.

Rubik
2012-03-08, 07:28 PM
I don't see that.Sorry. It wasn't 50%; it was 20%. (Check your second quote there after the bolded bit.)

Seerow
2012-03-08, 07:31 PM
Sorry. It wasn't 50%; it was 20%. (Check your second quote there after the bolded bit.)

That's if the caster is deafened. Silence explicitly stops you from casting something with a verbal component. But if you can't hear yourself you talk funny, so have a chance of messing up.

Rubik
2012-03-08, 07:38 PM
That's if the caster is deafened. Silence explicitly stops you from casting something with a verbal component. But if you can't hear yourself you talk funny, so have a chance of messing up.Huh. You're quite correct.

Upon the casting of this spell, complete silence prevails in the affected area. All sound is stopped: Conversation is impossible, spells with verbal components cannot be cast, and no noise whatsoever issues from, enters, or passes through the area. The spell can be cast on a point in space, but the effect is stationary unless cast on a mobile object. The spell can be centered on a creature, and the effect then radiates from the creature and moves as it moves. An unwilling creature can attempt a Will save to negate the spell and can use spell resistance, if any. Items in a creature’s possession or magic items that emit sound receive the benefits of saves and spell resistance, but unattended objects and points in space do not. This spell provides a defense against sonic or language-based attacks.

And here I thought it merely deafened you. I guess I should read these things directly more often.

Thanks for the correction.

Brock Samson
2012-03-08, 10:59 PM
Celerity of course is an option, however it's an option that then leaves me dazed.

And I'll be able to start persisting I believe at level 12. I REALLY wish we had Spell Compendium because I could just take Energy Immunity...

And I've never heard of this "Ironsoul Forgemaster" - but it certainly doesn't sound like something from one of the Completes or PH/PH2.

Oh I did forget to include we have Dragon Magic.

And I don't believe Versatile Spellcaster is in any of our available books, is it???

We did just get a moderate amount of gold, so I now have something like maybe 7,000 GP to spend.

Cloak of Elemental Protection certainly is cheap, even if only once a day, and to make it slotless would only be 2,000 (twice the original 1,000 right?)

I LOVE the Boots of Sidestepping, but no Dungeonscape.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-03-08, 11:18 PM
MIC p234, you can add generic effects to existing items. You wouldn't have to make the Cloak of Elemental Protection slotless, you can just add all of your cloak-slot bonuses (Cha, saves, resistances, etc.) onto it for no more than buying separate items of each effect. Another option is to add it to an existing cloak item at only +50% cost instead of double (DMG p282).

There are a bunch of spells in Dragon Magic that give you a permanent passive benefit just for learning them. Haze of Smoldering Stone gives you Fire Resistance 3, which stacks with any other resistance to fire you would otherwise have.

Darrin
2012-03-08, 11:31 PM
And I've never heard of this "Ironsoul Forgemaster" - but it certainly doesn't sound like something from one of the Completes or PH/PH2.

Magic of Incarnum PrC. Requires a dwarf. Offers lots of good full-spectrum energy immunity at mid-levels.

Oh I did forget to include we have Dragon Magic.

Shield of the Winged Crusade (3170 GP, Dragon Magic p. 95) offers a 10' teleport as an immediate action when hit by an instantaneous area effect. Roughly the same price as Boots of Sidestepping, but unfortunately the shield is only 1/day.

Cloak of Elemental Protection certainly is cheap, even if only once a day, and to make it slotless would only be 2,000 (twice the original 1,000 right?)

Grab an Enduring Amulet as well (1500 GP, MIC). Continuous endure elements effect, and up to 20 cold/fire resistance as an immediate action.

Crimson Dragonhide Bracers (5000 GP, MIC) are also very nice. Fire resistance 5 and a +1 enhancement bonus to natural armor.

Azure Skullcap (3900 GP, Dragon Magic) gives you electricity resistance 5, +1 enhancement bonus to natural armor, and lightning bolt 1/day.

Fiery Kabuto of the Celestial Dragon (9000 GP, Dragon Magic). 1/day complete immunity to fire/cold damage for 10 rounds, but takes a standard action to activate.

Brock Samson
2012-03-08, 11:37 PM
The Enduring Amulet does seem like a deal, even if only covers fire/cold.

Thanks for all the suggestions for far guys.

Tr011
2012-03-08, 11:50 PM
Energy Aegis IIRC from PHB2 is a spell that grants immediatly 20 resistance to one element. If you don't wanna waste spell slots get QuickDraw and an Eternal Wand (MiC). If you don't want to get quick draw, just talk your DM into allowing a Wand Chamber (I know you didn't say Dungeonscape, but it's just a small hole in a weapon that costs 100gp) and buy a least Returning weapon crystal (MiC again, grants quick draw for that weapon).

Zombulian
2012-03-09, 10:40 AM
Well there's a regional feat that gives regeneration 1 (acid and fire) I think it's called trollblooded. That's from a dragon mag so :/ hmmm BoVD you could turn yourself into a bone creature and be immune to cold but nogo on that either...
Sorry, I'm not very much help. I'd be SOL in a game like that :P

dextercorvia
2012-03-09, 10:57 AM
Energy Aegis IIRC from PHB2 is a spell that grants immediatly 20 resistance to one element. If you don't wanna waste spell slots get QuickDraw and an Eternal Wand (MiC). If you don't want to get quick draw, just talk your DM into allowing a Wand Chamber (I know you didn't say Dungeonscape, but it's just a small hole in a weapon that costs 100gp) and buy a least Returning weapon crystal (MiC again, grants quick draw for that weapon).

You can't quickdraw out of turn, so you'll want to just be holding it. You can't use an immediate action eternal wand. They are actually miscellaneous items, with a standard action activation. You can make it a regular wand though, and just hold the weapon at all times. Staves actually can hold two wand chambers (being a double weapon).

DarthCyberWolf
2012-03-09, 11:14 AM
Third Eye: Dampening (MIC). Only once a day, but when you get hit by something with lots of dice of damage, you can minimize it (You treat the damage as if every die rolled a 1).

Phaederkiel
2012-03-09, 03:49 PM
versatile spellcaster still does not work the way Biff suggests.
Or rather, no sane DM will allow it to work that way.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2012-03-09, 04:19 PM
Ask your GM if he'll let you make an consumable item that gives semi-permanent protection from energy. Prevents the first 60 points of fire damage, then the item breaks. If it took up a cloak slot, I'd peg it somewhere around 3,000 gp.