PDA

View Full Version : Mummy Knight [build advice]

NotScaryBats
2012-03-08, 07:40 PM
Hey everyone. I have a moderately unique build that I wanted some advice from the seasoned vets on if possible. What I'm looking for are errors / stupid choices as well as advice on future things / what to look out for, and I'm relatively unsure of my magic item selection.

If anyone feels like helping me out and taking a look, thank you!

Myth-weavers Link (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=378284)

This character is for a lvl 10 game, with 49000 gp starting wealth and 2 traits and flaws allowed (I did not see any flaws or traits that seem applicable)

I was allowed to add Cha over Con for HP / lvl, and take +4 turn resistance, as well as substitute 'battlefield control' feats over 'mounted feats' since I am not a mounted knight.
... I think that was all the homebrew.
Summary:
5 levels of this Mummy Class (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=699.msg3751#msg3751 mummy class
) and 5 levels of Knight
She is an old mummy created from a valorous knight who postponed her place in the afterlife to continue to protect and serve the people of her land. I imagine her using a longsword and shield, sitting in the front line (pretty much being the front line) and knocking people over / absorbing large quantities of damage.

eggs
2012-03-08, 11:50 PM
My thoughts, skimming the build:

Knight isn't doing a lot for you. Once you hit level 3, it runs out of useful abilities (the only CR 10 monsters that will fail to Test of Mettle more than half the time are hydras and rakshasas). Consider Crusader, Arcanamach (could actually be pretty nifty with Tomb King) or Binder/KotSS (especially if it can get a modified version of the Tomb King's pseudo caster-bonus) - either to continue progression past Knight 3 or to replace Knight altogether; your call.

The Tomb King ability is far more powerful than Tomb Guard, unless you're focusing your build around a weird Disciple of Dispater or other 3.0-relic crit-build. As long as you don't have an IC-focused bard in the party, King is a huge bonus to allies expected damage and a huge penalty to enemies with no save, where Guard is a rare damage boost whose occasional damage increases will only be academic if you've spent the necessary resources to be a genuine melee threat (-10 and -1000 HP are functionally identical). The one draw for Tomb Guard is the weapon ability, but there are easier ways to get 5 attack/damage from 2 feat slots.

Your damage is pretty bad, and the one-handed weapon plays poorly with Bulwark of Defense and the Trip schtick that it looks like you're building. Get at least a 10ft reach weapon to maximize your difficult terrain area and get the extra trip bonus for 2-handing.

And if you're taking Weapon Focus anyway, it could be worth your while to grab Pole Master from Secrets of Sarlonna to apply your Flurry of Blows to a reach weapon. Because extra attacks never hurt.

Your Fort and Reflex save are abysmal. Fort is less important, but level 10 is when Disintegrates start cropping up. So covering it with either boosts or substitutes (eg. Mind Over Body) would not be unwise. Reflex is less important, but be sure you have ways of dealing with attacks like Web, Entangle or Resilient Sphere (typically meaning some form of teleportation; Anklets of Translocation or Boots of Big Stepping are never bad investments).

You don't have any sort of Flight. I recommend adding either a Dragonscale Cloak item or Winged Feathers graft. Both make for cheap flight with difficult dispel DCs that don't bite too hard into your action economy.

Edit:
You also don't have any reliable way of dealing with Invisibility, Displacement, Mirror Image, etc. I recommend a Scout's Headband, for those times where the party casters can't deal with the problems.

NotScaryBats
2012-03-09, 12:15 AM
Well, there will be a Tomb King in the party, and I don't think the auras stack.

The reason I built around a shield and 1h weapon is because the Tomb Blade only works on a 1h and I assumed more AC was a good thing lol

I don't suppose there is a reach 1h weapon like the polearm Hilde from Soul Calibur uses ... ?

Is there a way to sub my awesome Str or Cha to cover my bad saves? I have a Cloak or Resistance+2 to help out with 'em, but...

eggs
2012-03-09, 01:26 AM
Well, there will be a Tomb King in the party, and I don't think the auras stack.
That's going to be hilarious with multiple Despair abilities. :smalltongue:
But you're right; only one iteration will apply.

The reason I built around a shield and 1h weapon is because the Tomb Blade only works on a 1h and I assumed more AC was a good thing lolI don't see what makes Tomb Blade 1h-only, but if you do rule that way, Tomb Blading unarmed strikes would allow you to hold a reach weapon for AoO trips/difficult terrain, and still get the Tomb Blade benefits in your turns. It would also allow you to Flurry with your silly Hit/Trip/Hit sequences. (Enchantable via a Necklace of Natural Attacks, found in savage species and here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060707a).)

AC is nice, but Shields are really limiting. Halved threatened area, halved power attack and -4 to trips are all pretty severe penalties for +5 AC, even before the gp price tag.

I don't suppose there is a reach 1h weapon like the polearm Hilde from Soul Calibur uses ... ?Not that I know of. The Kusari-gama (Oriental Adventures, and buried in the DMG somewhere) is the only 1-handed reach weapon I can think of. And it both eats a feat and is kind of silly.

Is there a way to sub my awesome Str or Cha to cover my bad saves? I have a Cloak or Resistance+2 to help out with 'em, but...I'm just going to set this link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732) here. Blackguard seems like the most appropriate, but Dark Blessing wouldn't kick in until level 11. The cheapest is the Evil's Blessing feat, which you can get by pledging yourself to an Elder Evil (along with 2 other Vile feats), but which requires a standard action to activate.

One other inexpensive item that would work well here that I failed to mention is the Sudden Stunning weapon enhancement. For a flat 2k, it puts a Charisma/day stun tagalong effect onto a weapon attack, forcing a DC 10+1/2HD+Cha Ref save v. stunning.