PDA

View Full Version : Massive Battles

TheLooker
2012-03-08, 08:01 PM
I was wondering if I could get some advice on how to run giant war scenarios? The Heroes of Battle doesn't do a very good job of conveying ideas, and so I need help. What kind of rules should I use? How should I run scenarios within it? Is the Victory Point system effective at all?

Suddo
2012-03-08, 08:09 PM
The more you tell us about your specific situation the more we can help you. Is it PCs level 6 versus army of 1-2 level NPCs? Level 15 PC versus Level 1-2 army? Army vs Army? Red Hand of Doom style? What?

TheLooker
2012-03-08, 08:15 PM
The more you tell us about your specific situation the more we can help you. Is it PCs level 6 versus army of 1-2 level NPCs? Level 15 PC versus Level 1-2 army? Army vs Army? Red Hand of Doom style? What?

Sorry about the vagueness. They are a group of level 6 PC's, and will be fighting against an army of Demons from the Abyss and Nine Hells of Baator. The war itself will be based with the PC's on the defensive in a Stronghold with the Demon Gate outside, pouring in a combination of Dretchs, Babuas, Bebiliths, Hezrou, and so on. On their side, they will have lots of 1st Level Soldiers, a couple of powerful Clerics, one 10th level Wizard, a Necromancer of similar level, and a Storm Giant. They are going to be pretty well outnumbered, but the fortress itself is set into a mountain, with forest to the left and marshes to the right. It is going to be extremely defendable (even against teleportation), but I still want to be able how to decide outcomes and battles and encounters. Obviously I want the PC's actions to dramatically alter the effects of the war, whereas without their intervention everyone will most likely die. Running away is not an option, and the group playing is all newbies to D&D, so I don't want something utterly ridiculous thrown at them. I can supply further details if needed.

mattie_p
2012-03-08, 08:19 PM
In the past I've hand waved it and just pre-generated the "encounter" and outcome. Where applicable - like PCs in the middle of it, I've got generic combatants statted out for them to fight. I usually attempt to keep PCs out of direct battle because it gets way too complicated. Where they are involved, it gets real complicated. Never underestimate the ingenuity of a PC.

nyjastul69
2012-03-08, 08:47 PM
The Miniatures handbook by WotC and Cry Havoc by Malhavoc Press both have mass combat rules. Malhavoc Press is Monte Cook's d20 imprint. The book itself was authored by Skip Williams.