PDA

View Full Version : Weapons of Legacy, how to go about using them?

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-08, 11:15 PM
I'm looking to give my PCs items from the Weapons of Legacy rulebook.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I alter the rules for the rituals/penalties, or should I play them straight?

Big Fau
2012-03-08, 11:36 PM
Mostly just remove the penalties Save/Skill/BAB and/or allow the players to found their own Legacy items (although don't restrict them to abilities listed in that chapter of the book because there is a lot of abilities that just aren't worth looking at).

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-08, 11:39 PM
Mostly, you are going to have to ignore pretty much every writeup of every item, as it is written. In other words, there is NOTHING in that book that can be just plain used as is. Sad, I know.

Ryulin18
2012-03-08, 11:50 PM
Look at each person's character. Look at how they wish to progress and where you want the campaign to go. Then build it with what they will want/need. Give the bards rapier "Tongues" first. Give the mage a spell book legacy with "personal attunement". Give the barbarian a progressing weapon as he grows, his anger fuelling it. +1,+2, extra rage, Empowering strikes and the like.

Now give them an item that is going to 5% better than other weapons at the same progress rate.

Nothing sucks as hard as having a sword with the disembodied spirit of a greater power being thrown away for a +2 longsword some orc was carrying.

eggs
2012-03-08, 11:55 PM
The penalties are asinine.
Most Legacy Weapons are of dubious merit even without them.

Darth_Versity
2012-03-09, 01:58 AM
I find that simply removing the penalties works well enough. The gp requirement of the rituals uses the gold you would have enchanted a weapon with in the first place and the rituals themselves can make great side quests.

If they make their own weapons i'd allow the use of more abilities than the book offers as the whole point of the weapons is to offer something unique (like Simple Bow from the book has Call to Hand)

Killer Angel
2012-03-09, 05:21 AM
The penalties are asinine.
Most Legacy Weapons are of dubious merit even without them.

My experience is that without the penalties, the weapons work sufficiently fine. Nothing extraordinary, mind you, but the flavor is a point in favor of them.