PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Social Skill Optimization

jaybird
2012-03-09, 12:00 AM
Basically, I'm playing a Bard in a highly social game, where we're knights errant of a sort who divide our time pretty evenly between politiking at court and beating the crap out of things in dungeons. There's a higher level Bard/Aristocrat opposing us, and I want to be able to outmaneuver him.

Restrictions:
Glibness has been nerfed - it's now a +10, and only applies one on one.
No Diplomancy as we know it - the DCs needed have been scaled appropriately (after I hit 50 on a check to seduce an old duke's favourite daughter...)
Pathfinder Only.

My top priorities are Bluff and Diplomacy, with secondary skills being Sense Motive, Intimidate, and Perception. Now, my DM does allow skill-boosting items, but those cost me a good chunk of my wealth, even factoring in the fact that I'm exceeding WBL by a fair amount through currying favour at court.

How should I build this? So far I have a +31 to Bluff and Diplo (yes, and the higher level 'manipulator' character is out-manipulating me...) from items, race, etc etc. Any help?

Cieyrin
2012-03-09, 12:30 PM
Knowing what your build is and level would help to determine what is feasible. More Details!

I'm guessing Half-Elf Bard, since you say 'Racial' bonuses. Persuasive and Alertness are feat options to boost your skills, as would appropriate Skill Focuses. Voice of the Sybil can help in that department as well.

If you're casting Glibness, you're probably at least Bard 7. If you want to stack the deck in your favor spell-wise, Eagle's Splendor and Owl's Wisdom are a good start. Honeyed Tongue will greatly favor your Diplomacy checks, as can Adoration. Lesser Geas to manipulate pawns to your will, as well as Suggestions and Charm Person to make friends in court and discredit rivals through the mentally unfit. Heroism on yourself will also boost your skills, which can be supercharged with Moment of Greatness. Detect Thoughts can get you juicy tidbits to use in your machinations, Seek Thoughts can help you get specific ones. Tongues and Whispering Wind can help you get your message to who you need wherever they are. Also don't discount the proper uses of illusions to mislead people, as well as Disguise or Alter Self if you want to get your own hands dirty but keep people from guessing that you're involved. Acute Senses, Compassionate Ally, Delusional Pride, Hidden Speech, Malicious Spite, Memory Lapse, Negative Reaction, Reckless Infatuation, Unadulterated Loathing, Unnatural Lust, Terrible Remorse, Vocal Alteration all have their uses in the right situation.

At the Heart of It All can give you an edge over anybody. Celebrity, Court Bard, Demagogue, Detective and Geisha archetypes can be of help.

There's something to look into. Them's my 2 coppers, take as you will.

demigodus
2012-03-09, 01:47 PM
No Diplomancy as we know it - the DCs needed have been scaled appropriately (after I hit 50 on a check to seduce an old duke's favourite daughter...)
Pathfinder Only.

Do you mean the DM looked at your skills and scaled the DCs based on that? Because if so, don't bother optimizing your skills. The higher your stats, the higher the DCs will get.

Particle_Man
2012-03-09, 02:03 PM
Perform Comedy and Perform Oratory can be used to sub for 4 of the 5 skills you mention by the time you are 6th level. I don't know if it is easier or harder for you to buff two perform skills than 4 other social skills, but it might be less expensive magic item wise at least.