PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The best undead to create

Ryulin18
2012-03-09, 12:15 AM
Becoming a Dread Necromancer in the near future and I'm reading a lot of templates and creation ideas.

My interest is peaked with the mummified template from Libris Mortis.

I was thinking of catching a troll to screw it around. Its original stats are:
40ft move with 10ft swing
22str [+6]
+5 natural armour
4d8 hitdice
It's club swings for 2d8+7

Adding the template to its stats. It becomes a whopping:
30ft move
30str [+10!]
+10 natural armour
4d12+32
Its full round attack is 2d8+15 and a slam for 2d6+10
and DR 5/-

Thats a bad ass template!

Coidzor
2012-03-09, 12:28 AM
Dread Warriors from Unapproachable East and the things made by Dirgesingers snagged using Revive Undead (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=3718.0) are pretty up there.

Ryulin18
2012-03-09, 12:28 AM
I was going to add this to a troll at first, but the 100% extra fire damage would have sucked...

I would love to make an evolved undead Rogue from Libris Mortis. Roll an 8 and it has greater invisibility as a spell like but can't do crap in the sun.

Ryulin18
2012-03-09, 12:33 AM
stupid double posting, thank god for edit

Any ideas except for those stated?

Calanon
2012-03-09, 01:01 AM
Personally I've used Zombies as Shock Troopers, Mummies for strikers, Sword Wraiths for Commandos, Death Knights for... well anything really they are VERY effective undead, Honestly use multiple kinds of undead... It really depend on what you plan to do with them.

If you need to fly? Zombie something that can fly, If you need to assassinate someone I find Wights and Mohrgs to be pretty effective since they can reproduce followers, Vampires make for amazing Spies if you willing to supply them with a ring of Night Mantle, just make sure that you have a method to kill your intelligent undead. Can't tell you how often Intelligent Undead Rebel against their creators...

Instead of Skeleton undead, use Revived Fossils instead... and a Slaymate will always be helpful... Personally I think that a Slaymate is a liability but eh, your results may vary. Would love to be able to play a Slaymate Dread Necromancer :smallamused: But no DM in creation would allow that... Ah well...

Anywho! Undead are like insects... They are very specialized, Of course they do have "Overlords" that can essentially "Do-It-All"

Suddo
2012-03-09, 02:25 AM
Polymorph a corpse into a War Troll Corpse (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040815b&page=6). If you are looking for abuse then apply Half-Black Dragon Template to it.

GoatBoy
2012-03-09, 02:54 AM
Can't go wrong with skeletal owlbears and hydras.

Calanon
2012-03-09, 03:01 AM
Polymorph a corpse into a War Troll Corpse (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040815b&page=6). If you are looking for abuse then apply Half-Black Dragon Template to it.

That method is so cheesy I could dip my nachos into them :smallannoyed:

Igneel
2012-03-09, 03:21 AM
That method is so cheesy I could dip my nachos into them :smallannoyed:

Better then the ol' Dragonwrought Kobolds into Great Wyrm Skeleton/Zombies (Draconomicon) which have a different set of rules compared to normal Skeleton/Zombies.

I would suggest Cursts (Monsters of Faerun; pg 87) as near indestructible undead [SR 12+Lvl/HD, Regen 1/lvl/hour, decapitation doesn't kill, Cold+Fire Immunity, Turn Immunity] for a +3 LA, but it was updated (Lost Empires of Faerun; pg 165) with major nerfs.

Baneguard and its big brother Direguard (updated version in Lost Empires of Faerun) are skeleton warriors with SLA's that include Magic Missile, Blink (Banegaurd), See Invisibility, and +3 Force armor (Direguard).

Flameskull (Lost Empires) is a flaming skull with lots of SLA's [At will—detect magic, mage hand, ray of frost (+8 ranged touch); 3/day—blur, magic missile, ray of exhaustion (+8 ranged touch; DC 15); 1/day—fireball (DC 15), mirror image. Caster level 4th.] that has Fast healing and even after being destroyed can come back save if its sprinkled with a vial of holy water or subjected to a dispel magic, dispel evil, or remove curse spell.