PDA

View Full Version : Devil-Flavored Duskblade

Lord Loss
2012-03-09, 07:58 AM
Alright, I need a devil-flavored PrC, homebrewed or otherwise, that nicely complements duskblade. Ideally, he should be able to get in by level five. Furthermore, the player has little or no grasp of the rules, he's starting to understand initiative but uses less than half of his spells (usually just using Kelgore's Firebolt, or otherwise swinging with his Battleaxe) and isn't an optimizer at all (however, the other players, myself included, pitch in when it comes time to build his character, so he's somewhat optimized).

So thanks in advance, so far all I've come up with is the Fiend-Blooded and that seems to make him far less powerful than if he just stuck with pure Duskblade.

GreenSerpent
2012-03-09, 10:07 AM
Acolyte of the Skin from Complete Arcane? Not exactly an optimised prestige class, but fits the flavour.

Elric VIII
2012-03-09, 10:55 AM
Thrall of Graz'zt (BoVD) is a demon-servant class that gets bonuses for casting damage-dealing spells. It requires 3rd level spells, but if you use Heighten/bloodline and Versatile Spellcaster this is achievable by level 6.

Over 10 levels it gets:

+5d6 damage to damage spells that hit targets denied Dex to AC.
Can add half of this damage to spell targets in melee range (nice with channeling).
Ability to summon a 5-10 HD demon 1/day.
6/10 casting.
Low BAB.

You can also play an Ur Priest that worships devils. Arcane Channeling works on Inflict, etc spells. You probably won't have to worry about anything gamebreaking if the player is that new.

Particle_Man
2012-03-09, 02:07 PM
Maybe Fiend-Blooded from Heroes of Horror?

GreenSerpent
2012-03-09, 02:51 PM
Disciple of Mephistopheles (BoVD) would also be good if he didn't mind losing the spellcasting. You get full BaB, all good saves, fire resistance, the ability to cast a short-range Scorching Ray at will, a couple of spell-like abilities and finally the ability to become a living flame version of yourself.

Aegis013
2012-03-09, 03:00 PM
If you alter some of the requirements, (let weapon focus:battleaxe work, not require nonhuman) Soul Eater PrC from BoVD seems like it would work, just let him channel energy drain through his battleaxe in addition to whatever spell. It's basically a class level for free Fell Drain on everything.

Urpriest
2012-03-09, 09:30 PM
A little Fiend-Blooded might be nice, but too much would indeed be worse than pure Duskblade.

What about sticking with pure Duskblade, but adding feats? The Devil-Touched feats from Fiendish Codex II aren't that bad, and most of them won't require all that much investment.

Lord Loss
2012-03-10, 09:26 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys, keep them coming :smallbiggrin:. I had considered Disciple of Mephistopheles, but I'm not sure wether or not it's worth losing spellcasting over. Urpriest's flavor really doesn't fit what the player is going for, and I hadn't really considered Soul Eater, not sure wether or not it would be any good. I don't have Complete Arcane unfortunately :smallfrown:

Also Devil-Touched feats are pretty chill I might suggest them to him or try homebrewing something using those. As you guys might have noticed already, optimization isn't really my strong suit, I'm not always sure what will end up being overpowered and what won't.