PDA

View Full Version : templates replacing the Tiefling, Aasimar and Shifter

Kol Korran
2012-03-09, 11:37 AM
hey there folks, i'm very new to home brewing, so i thought to ask the forum about certain changes i may implement in the next campaign.

i never understood why tieflings, aasimar and shifters are races unto themselves. they seemed more like alterations of regular races, or in other words- templates.

so here are the followings. some minor changes from the original races may be present, to fit my campaign world better. I'm know it's not written as templates usually do, but these are the main changes. so, without further ado-

Fiend touched
type remains the same.
the warlocks make contact with forces in the space between relams, but fined touched have some of it's essence thrown unto them. some think them cursed, some think them blessed, but really- it's up to them to decide what to do with their power. most have some unusual signs, such as small horns, not casting a shadow, a smell of sulphur or the like.
a warlcok can be a fiend touched, as can any other class
the fiend touched gain +2 Cha (unlike the MM tiefling, the fiend touched are touched with power, presence and influence)
they gain resist 5 to fire, cold and electricity
Darkvision 60 ft
the fiend touched knows 1 least warlcok invocation. this can be used 2/ day, each time for 10 minutes or as the invocation lasts, the SHORTER of the two. CL is the character level.
at 6th level this evolves to a lesser invocation (same rules)
not fully humanoid: when targeted by a power/ spell that targets humanoids (including monstrous humanoids) the fiend touched , it gains a +2 to the save.
+1 LA
----------------------------
Star touched (aasimar replacement)
type doesn't change
The Starfallen (favored soul) possess a deep understanding and connection of spirit to the fallen stars. but some people were connected by body from birth. these Star touched display some abilities of the Starfallen, but not to their extent. fairly new to the isles, they are quite well accepted- but just as starfallen- they choose their own path in life. (quite a few charge for their healing power). Star touched eyes grow bright golden.
a Starfallen can be a star touched, as can any other class
the Star Touched touched gain +2 Wis
resist 5 to acid, cold and electricity
low light vision.
the star touched knows one of the following spells: CMW, Aid, delay poison or lesser restoration. this could be cast 2/day. CL is the character level.
at 6th level this changes to Cure Critical wounds, restoration or remove poison.
not fully humanoid: when targeted by a power/ spell that targets humanoids (including monstrous humanoids) the fiend touched , it gains a +2 to the save.
+1 LA

------------------------

Feral
type unchanged
sometime the touching is not from outside forces. sometimes, as the Shamans say to us- it just reaches deep into us, to our inner beast, inner animal. the Feral display some signs of animalistic heritage- for, teeth, hide, and so on. but when they Shift they REALLY take on an animal appearance. the Feral are as different as the animals in the world. most make fine warriors, but really- they can take on any role.
+2 Con, +2 either Str or Dex, -2 int
the character gains a shifter trait (from the Eberron campaign setting or Races of Eberron). the shifting works as in the book, except fro two differences: first, the Feral can shift for a total of 6 + con modifier rounds per day, but s/he can divide this as s/he likes. second the feral gains 3 more rounds of shifting from any shifter feat it gains.
low light vision.
+1 LA.

thoughts? comments? thanks in advance for critiquing my humble attempts at home brew
(search word: piratewitch )

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-09, 11:54 AM
The entire premise behind the shifter is that it is a way for people to play lycanthropes without having to deal with a ridiculous Level Adjustment. I mean, +1 templates give permanent increased movement speed (Half-Minotaur), permanent natural weapons (draconic), so why would shifting for 6+Con rounds per day be equal to that?

Lord Vampyre
2012-03-09, 12:58 PM
The concept that templates are separate from races isn't quite accurate. Yes all of the more powerful half-breeds have been done as templates, such as the half-dragon and hald-fiend. However, the lesser races have been given their own race, such as the half-elf and half-orc. Now, you can do it either way, but in the case of Tieflings and Aasimars there are lesser versions that get rid of the +1 LA.

A +1 LA is fine at the lower levels, but as you get into the higher levels it becomes quite a burden. Unless of course you are using LA buyoff system out of Unearthed Arcana.

Kol Korran
2012-03-10, 01:30 AM
The entire premise behind the shifter is that it is a way for people to play lycanthropes without having to deal with a ridiculous Level Adjustment. I mean, +1 templates give permanent increased movement speed (Half-Minotaur), permanent natural weapons (draconic), so why would shifting for 6+Con rounds per day be equal to that?

hmmmm... i don't have that many books os id don't know of the templates you speak of. the shifter template as stated also gives a nice adjustment to abilities. i thought that would suffice as a +1 LA.

if you think this is unworthy of a +1 LA than:
- what should be added to make it a +1? i'm thinking maybe give each shifter the Elite trait for free? perhaps lengthening the shifting time per level instead of just shifter feats? (so as not to incur a "tax")?
- or can it be made a +0 LA template? if so should i get rid of the ability adjustments? perhaps keep the -2 to int to compensate for getting the shifting ability?

your thoughts?

The concept that templates are separate from races isn't quite accurate. Yes all of the more powerful half-breeds have been done as templates, such as the half-dragon and hald-fiend. However, the lesser races have been given their own race, such as the half-elf and half-orc. Now, you can do it either way, but in the case of Tieflings and Aasimars there are lesser versions that get rid of the +1 LA.

A +1 LA is fine at the lower levels, but as you get into the higher levels it becomes quite a burden. Unless of course you are using LA buyoff system out of Unearthed Arcana.

the half elf and half orc are stated to be between those demi human races and humans, so they are quite fixed. while this could be argued to be the case for the 3 templates i suggested, i want to keep this interpretation for them, as it also seem favored by the group.

i am unaware of LA buy off but i will check it out. UA you say? that's on the SRD, yes?

my question is however, not how to reduce the LA to 0, but whether the templates deserve an LA +1, and if not - what should be tweaked or changed.

thanks for responding. :smallsmile:

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-10, 01:43 AM
hmmmm... i don't have that many books os id don't know of the templates you speak of. the shifter template as stated also gives a nice adjustment to abilities. i thought that would suffice as a +1 LA.

if you think this is unworthy of a +1 LA than:
- what should be added to make it a +1? i'm thinking maybe give each shifter the Elite trait for free? perhaps lengthening the shifting time per level instead of just shifter feats? (so as not to incur a "tax")?
- or can it be made a +0 LA template? if so should i get rid of the ability adjustments? perhaps keep the -2 to int to compensate for getting the shifting ability?

your thoughts?

How to make the shifter template an LA +1? Hmmm...

Go ahead and allow shifting to be at-will. Then it will be what it was always intended, a weaker, but less expensive lycanthropy. Then change all shifter feats so that instead of giving an extra daily use of shifting and additional rounds, for every two shifter feats you take, the increase to your ability score that you receive while shifting increases by +2. (So with four shifter feats on a razorclaw shifter, when I shift I get +6 Str)

Then, of course, you could homebrew some better shifter feats, and even some better shifter traits! Improve cliffwalk and longstrider so that people will actually want to take them over razorclaw or swiftwing or longtooth.