PDA

View Full Version : Evil Campaigns: Talk About Your Experience

Andorax
2012-03-09, 11:43 AM
Discussions in another thread have lead me to start up this separate topic. I would politely ask that debates about whether or not you *should* have an evil campagin, or why you never *would* have one, take place elsewhere.

I'm hoping to keep this thread focused on the experiences of those who have conducted evil campaigns. If it's been a dismal failure, go ahead and say why. If it's been successful, in part or full measure, tell us about what worked. If you're thinking about running a campaign with one (or all) evil characters...feel free to borrow ideas and ask questions.

To my recollection (and I've been at this a long time) I can only think of five times I've had either an evil character or an outright evil campaign,and the results have been varied. In my experience, there's three ingredients that, if not outright necessary, at least help the experience go much smoother:

1) Loyalty that goes *beyond* alignment. There has to be something that makes one or more evil characters still play nice with the other kids.

- Sometimes, it can be a genuine bond of friendship, even love...though the roleplay becomes a bit of a challenge.

- Sometimes, it can be an appeal to a higher authority that the evil character(s) are answerable to...a mentor, a government, a deity, a demonic patron.

- Even common cause can be made to work, though care needs to be taken as this tends to be a more fragile thing, and quibbling over methods can shake the group's cohesiveness.

2) Democracy, equality and fairness are great for the good guys, but tyranny, opression, and blatant favoratism actually seem to HELP evil parties get along. Obviously, I'm leaning more towards the LE side of the spectrum here, but I've actually found that having one member of the party outright in charge, with some combination of authority and power to back it up, can help tamp down the tendency of evil campaigns to fall apart.

3) A sense of purpose. Give the group an overarching goal. Good parties can hold together for the sole purpose of "discover, loot, and get more powerful", but I've found that evil parties need a more tangible motivation. If you can give them a specific purpose, something that trancends their natural inclination to stab each other in the back, then this can help keep them focused and goal-oriented.

With those thoughts in mind, here's the five scenarios I can recall. Opinions, questions and comments welcome...as are your own experiences.

1) Edition: 2nd. Setting: Spelljammer.

Oh, those wild college days...when I was able to marignally manage a gaming group of 13 people and stay up to 3:00 AM on a friday night.

With a group this size, it's almost inevitable that *someone* is going to want to go evil. In this case, it was a trio of PCs, and it was the worst possible situation. Simultaneous party fatalities lead to a smoke break where a full-blown inner-party faction was born, with the specific goal of revenge on those responsible (with, of course, no motivation beyond out-of-character knowledge).

New characters were introduced as a thief, wizard, and fighter. Carefully orchestrated starting items and class abilities allowed for masking alignments and getting past the interview process (the group as a whole was pretty harsh when it came to signing new characters onto the charter and working out proportional shares). Then the group hits a trap-heavy dungeon.

Three levels down, final boss killed, and massive piles of treasure discovered. It's going to take a while to loot everything and haul it out, so the conspirators head out first, and set up an ambush.

Nominally, they're just out to get revenge on 2 other characters (out of the total of 10), but as fate would have it, there was one of those two characters in each of the next two groups to come up from below. So they ambush and kill two injured PCs on their way out, hide the bodies, then ambush and kill three more. At this point, they're "in it up to their eyebrows" and decide they might as well finish off the last 2 PCs, since they'll never go along with it...so they set up the trap once more and manage a complete coup.

And needless to say, got a lot of players angry and resulted in that whole campaign being folded up. A early opportunity for lessons learned.

2) Edition: 2nd. Setting: Forgotten Realms (pre Time of Troubles)

Here's where I learned that the "imposed authority" thing really worked. This was an outright evil campaign from the onset...a bit of an experiment actually. Party consisted of:

Cleric of Bane (leader). A level higher than the rest, with the best armor. Understood to be the voice of the party in all discussions, and the person through whom the rest of the party received their orders.

Wizard (follower of Bane). Had orders from his master to assist the Cleric of Bane...future gains of power were promised thorugh assuring the party's success.

Cleric of Bhaal. Back in 2e, there was a clearly-ordered deific hierarchy, and Bhaal was a 'servitor god' to Bane. In that same vein, it was presumed that clerics of Bhaal would defer to clerics of Bane...an arrangement he was quite willing to accept. As such, he worked for the party leader.

2 Thieves (assassins). Devotees of Bhaal, they reported to the cleric of Bhaal for fear of Bhaal's patronage and blessing being withdrawn from them. Didn't care much for the cleric of Bane, but the Cleric of Bhaal held them in check.

Cleric of Loviatar. Again, as with the Cleric of Bhaal, the 'divine order' made her subservient to the Cleric of Bane...plus she liked the way he ran things. It suited her goals just fine.

Fighter (follower of Loviatar). As both the bodyguard and lover of the Cleric of Loviatar, he went with whatever she required. The closest thing to friction we had in the party was his jealosy of the Cleric of Bane, but knowing he'd be torn to pieces by the rest of the party was enough to hold him in check. Well...that, plus the Cleric of Bane being WELL AWARE of it and never letting his guard down.

The campaign actually lasted a fairly long time...long enough to discover that the Cleric of Bane was being duped by a Harper agent posing as a higher-up Banite in the order and sending the entire party on wild goose chases. Painful revenge was taken, but after that they sort of ran out of a solid overall goal to pursue (lesson #3 learned).

3) Edition: 3rd. Setting: Custom

This was actually a playtest we'd been invited to take part in, so take it for what it's worth. Party consisted entirely of vampires for an undead sourcebook about to come out. The scenarios were somewhat contrived, as the main focus was on test-driving the rules not a full-blown exploration of the campaign.

Anyways, common condition and common cause (survival) gave them good reasons to band together. Vampire hunters can make for very dangerous opponents when they know your actual weaknesses. And we learned that a rat can "count" as someone who lives in a house, and once charmed, is quite willing to invite the master into the building.

4) Edition: 3.5. Setting: Eberon

In this case, it was a single evil character, not an "evil campagin" so to speak, but it worked out quite well. One of the PCs was a Changeling, a Becommer, and a devoted servant of the Cabinet of Faces. While she was evil at the 'core', she was played almost as an outright multiple-personality-disorder, and between her items, Chameleon class and Personna Immersion feat (RoE), she was essentially an ever-shifting party member who could be a number of different people, each with a different alignment and personality.

In a sense, then, being evil didn't 'matter much' with this character...she was able to put on a persona and function perfectly well in the party, and she had the skills to back up her occasional absenses when she had a 'job to do' that was true to her real alignment. Even managed to put up a convincing front when investigating one of the murders she, herself, had done after the party was hired to look into it.

5) Edition: 3.5. Setting: Custom

Sadly, one of my coolest ideas never was truly realized. I had put together a two-player friendly campaign designed specifically for a long road trip. The idea was that I could run the whole show from the back seat, and the two people up front needed only to supply their in-character reactions to what I threw at them...I'd handle the dice, the character sheets, the whole deal.

The overall idea was that the two characters found themselves in a small room in an inn, each holding a cup that seemed to be full of a brackish black water, and each with no clue who the other was...or who they, themselves, were. As you may have guessed, the black water was from the river Styx, and the two PCs were quite thorough agents of evil, given the "Total Recall" treatment so they could infiltrate a particular location they'd be subtly guided to by their hidden masters.

Part of what I'd hoped to explore was how they would react when seeing how others who knew them by reputation reacted to them. Would they try to play the characters as good, not knowing their alignments in advance...or would they revert to evil ways and evil behaviors when everyone 'expected' them to.

For those curious:

Maenad Monk 2/Wilder 3/Psionic Fist 4.

"A Dark-haired man with a faint golden hue to his skin (which grows much stronger when Inertial Armor is active). Silk vest and trowsers held up by an embroidered belt, sandals, stone amulet, two simple rings. Winged, demonic looking creature (Fire Mephit) tattoo on either wrist. Large chimeric (two lion's heads, 1 black dragon in center) tattoo on chest, visible under vest."

Human Ex-Cleric 2/Rogue 3/Ur-Priest 5.

"Imposing, towering figure of solid metal. Cold iron amulet, cold to the touch, circular with spikes jutting out on the sides. All gear unmarked and unremarkable (save for their materials). In her backpack, a tome entitled Mysteries of Divine Usurpation."

"Underneath the armor, a remarkably delicate looking young woman with a haunted look to her green eyes."

Venger
2012-03-09, 01:55 PM
I remember you from the other thread. I'm glad I'm getting a backstory on the river styx "total recall" thing now. that had really piqued my curiosity.

I'm in an evil game right now an it's going extraordinarily well. the party is as follows:

wizard 5/mage of the arcane order 5. halfling. TN on paper, NE in practice. a money grubbing member of house jorasco who is in the habit of such magnanimous acts as charging commoners for her healing spells. generalist wizard played as a blaster. wild cohort husky totes her around in combat. she has taken damage exactly 1 time in 3 OOC years of gametime. blasts all day, erryday. stays in the back and blasts.

psychic rogue 10 NE. human. 1930s new york bootlegger and gun moll. my character's wife. my gf OOC. took stunning blow, craven, and the psionic shot chain, ,making her capable of downright stupid amounts of damage when sneak attacking, much more than the unoptimised wizard. uses her psionic powers to sneak around, follow people, and has maxed perception skills to notice things before the rest of the party. roleplays like a boss. uses wallwalker and cloud mind to squeeze off 10d6+11 SAs almost every round.

factotum 5/chameleon 5 NE. human. 1930s new york bootlegger and rumrunner. the brains of the operation. built a time machine to try to travel back before prohibition was enacted to buy a bunch of cheap booze and then return to the present to sell it for a profit. it malfunctioned and took him and his wife to eberron (which is where our game is) has terrifying social skills due to being int SAD, synergies, and being an adept liar. if he says it, you believe it. same goes for the mrs. our bluff/diplomacies are roughly identical (+20 at level 10). in combat functions as a gish with plenty of melee damage and a penchant for enlarge person. does battlefield control with arcane focus, buffs with divine focus and heals the party with opportunistic piety after battle. functions as the party face along with the psyrogue.

sacred fist (some mix of cleric and monk) warforged. alignment unknown due to absence of roleplay. added in recently by the party fighter. functions as the party fighter, with all that entails.

neither the wizard nor the sacred fist roleplay, and really don't care what the party does as long as the two of us give the two of them a ready supply of enemies to smash at least once a session.

we're in the lhazaar principalities, and some extradimensional religious zealot invaders teleport in using a network of what are essentially stargates. the four of us destroy the central stargate and thus the network (it is here that the fighter's "original" character was lost and he replaced it with the warforged) at this point, my character saw a golden opportunity.

my longterm plan for my character is apotheosis, an aim I've only shared thus far with my partner in crime either in or out of character. there is now a vast army of religious adversaries with no orders coming through the other side. my plan is hatched.

I propose to the wizard that we scry on their admiral to find out what he looks like. I'm a chameleon and it's high time I actually do some impersonation. she agrees to do it at the earliest opportunity. we find some trolls in the forest and see that they have captured a small company of the soldiers. I propose we rescue the soldiers that I may impersonate one of their spirits when they regain consciousness. we kill all the trolls and I pretend to be the spirit of death. I say the loss of the gates was a test sent down by their dark god and that they have failed. this has created a schism in the church and instead of a scorched earth shock and awe style of military campaign, the church must now lie low until we can plan as to how to take over this planet in the future. anyone who disagrees with this is a heretic and must be purged. I ask if he and his company are on board and they quickly agree. I ask him about the admiral and have the wizard use crystalline memories to find out what he looks like to get a good modifier on her scry spell.

we find what he looks like and it's plan time. I suggest that my character impersonate the lady of the lake in order to speak to the admiral and get close to him so I can steal his identity. I disguise myself as a mermaid and tell him the spirit of the planet is against him and that one of his lieutenants, someone in the church that we had crossed paths with was betraying him. as planned, the admiral teleported away, leaving me free to submerge, use my hat of disguise and maxed disguise skill to assume his identity, and tell the fleet to sail away.

he returned a few rounds later and together the party and I killed him, cementing my character's identity as the admiral.

once we were settled for the night, the wizard said she wanted to drop a cloudkill into the ship and gas everyone the fighter sacred fist agreed, because he always agrees with the wizard. my character and his wife, being jewish, objected to this and I for the millionth time told the wizard's player she was not remotely neutral, and was in fact much more evil than both our characters put together. I told them that having a fleet is much more useful than not having a fleet and told them of my plan to affect changes in the religion (I neglected to mention that the changes would ultimately have the men worshipping my character) and roleplayed some more with the soldiers, who were pretty cool guys. I secretly use absorb mind on the admiral's body to help with my cover and we landed and took up a bounty to go into a super old school dungeon crawl to kill some vampires to satiate the wizard and warforged's appalling bloodlust.

so as you were saying in the other thread, leadership is paramount in an all evil party (which ours is) especially depending on the types of evil you have.my character is the leader and is the one that makes the plans. the couple are both schemers and my plan for apotheosis has been in the works since the beginning of the game 3 years ago at level 2. the wizard and warforged are both bloodthirsty psychopaths who never roleplay and just want to kill everything and take its stuff, so we have to find a way to point them at the right creature in such a fashion that our plans don't get cloudkilled. since "characters" that simple are pretty easy to control, as a party, our plans are going swimmingly

kardar233
2012-03-09, 02:55 PM
As I mentioned in the other thread:

Two of the best campaigns I've ever been in were set in Naggaroth, a frozen hellhole inhabited by even-worse-than-normal-Dark Elves who have made a state religion out of elaborate ritual murder, where torture is a valid way of saying "hello", you're not properly married until you've tried to kill each other and nobles have to stay two sword lengths away from each other to avoid precipitous stabbings.

On creating evil characters:

If I do say so myself, I consider myself of fairly high intelligence. I think methodically, adaptively and in great complexity. I decided that my character would be every inch as intelligent and radical as I was.

So I made a thought experiment. I turned my sense of morality on its head, and imagined a sadistic, narcissistic, manipulative, scheming sword-wielding psychopath with the same thought structures and processes as I had.

It was scary as hell, and incredibly awesome.

In the first campaign of these, my character was a domineering control-obsessed bastard. He proved that he could beat the other warrior in the party in single combat (through cheating, but the guy didn't know) and so it wouldn't be a good idea to turn on me. As the captain of our ship, I orchestrated it so the sorceress would be knocked unconscious, and while she was I locked her in the slaving restraints in the hold and made her an offer she couldn't refuse: Geas herself into my servitude or I'd leave her there and put up a sign for the crew.

The prelude session had me being drugged and dropped off the side by my old crew, washing up on shore and promptly being captured by orcs, fighting his way out, making a deal with the chieftain, sacking a city and betraying the orc to kill most of his men, escaping on a captured ship, sailing all the way home and murdering the orc in his sleep. The campaign started when I arrived home with a stolen ship full of fine wines, sold the thing, bought a new ship and went looking for a crew.

The high point of the campaign was where I killed the entire High Elven court and most of their heroes with two knives in the back, one drop of infinite-aging poison, one greater daemon, a vial of dragon's breath and a bolt covered in hydra poison. Granted, the Tower of Ghrond teleporting to my position and a nice dynamic entry by Crone Hellebron helped a lot.

The other campaign was just two players; and in order to avoid the kind of (fun) nastiness that happened the time before that he chose that his character would be a cousin of mine, whose advancement was tied to whoever's coattails he could ride off of. Furthermore, I tied him to the illegal hedonism cult that I was part of just in case.

I won't go into the details of this one, but I went on a murderous and really nasty terror campaign against the human empire, then made a big charade out of having them "sink" my ship (called Tenebrous, with sails of skin, bells of skulls and a deck covered in hides). I made the admiral who did it "disappear" a couple months after.

After Tenebrous became a ghost story, I built my next ship; a pure warship called Warspite, that I had engineered to take on the entire Imperial fleet. I added the Admiral to the prow ornaments. I brought back Tenebrous just once to make a point.

Tons of fun, both.

Eonir
2012-03-09, 03:00 PM
I am in a campaign right now that consists of entirely evil PCs. Me, a NE half-vampire Dread Necromancer, a LE half-golem Artificer, and a CE rouge/assassin. It has been rough, as egos get matched occasionally, but it has been fun.

But I highly agree with your first point; our party sticks together because we are all brothers, so the desire for power is often tempered by the desires to keep one another alive. We had another character enter for a game, a NE Druid, and we let him die, because none of our characters lacked any attachment to him.

ScionoftheVoid
2012-03-09, 05:37 PM
The group I play with almost always plays Evil campaigns and characters. However, we don't tend to play stupid characters unless they're "dumb muscle" types. They're either smart enough to help the only psychopaths willing to do the same stuff they do (on the understanding that failing to do so could feasibly lead to being killed on the spot) or happy to go along with whatever "the boss" says ("the boss" usually being whoever is helping the dumb muscle character the most at the time, or whoever is most obviously powerful/knowledgable).

Having some kind of authority figure does seem to help. Having a fairly clear heirarchy of power within the party tends to be more helpful for us than it is frustrating (at least as far as I know, generally being one at or near the top), since the ones at the top are understood to be helping the ones lower down, and the ones lower down are understood to be a pain to replace. Actual relationships between characters aren't usually developed much, because we have an incredibly high campaign turnover (we tend to start a new one every five sessions or so), but could certainly be done. It also helps that the better optimisers of the group tend toward optimising for only damage (in one particular case, though he's improving) or playing characters that are more support- or utility-oriented. My current character, for example, could more-or-less play a whole party by himself (much to the DM's vexation :smallbiggrin: (He knows I'm not all that bad, really)), but is mostly satisfied with filling any percieved holes and having some tools to blunt PvP fairly quickly (easy access to stat damage as the party Cleric -- and therefore the person with Restoration -- is a rather good deterrent to trying to kill one another, and a minor minionmancy specialisation doesn't hurt either). That I sacrificed a load of endurance to become three casters and some melee bruisers also contributes to this satisfaction to keep everyone alive...

Need_A_Life
2012-03-09, 05:49 PM
Are we talking "for the evulz" or "egotistical b***ards"?

Because I've only tried the latter. Heck, it almost seems to be standard with my regular group. Every character has their own goals that are independent of the group's goals and sometimes even contradictory. We let it take us where we want to go.

I've tried overarching goal, I've tried "[Authority figure X] commands you to..." and I've tried, probably the most fun one:

"Here's a spaceship. It's a new prototype. The owners are on your tail. Run, hide, make money. No, I don't know why you guys are all working together," (we affectionally named the campaign "The Search for more monies" in honour of Spaceballs).

There's not really anything that can happen in an Evil game that couldn't happen in a Good game (or vice-versa). There can be PC v. PC, there can be heroic sacrifices, callous betrayals, passionate fury against a hated foe and a wish to make ones mark on the world.

At least, in Evil games (or "villain," "black," "grey," "noir," "anti-hero" or whatever type of game it's being called at the time) I get to:
a) Avoid Paladins (regardless of system, too many games have the "honourable guy who cramps other peoples' style" archetype)
b) Get to moonwalk down the slippery slope. If I'm going down, I'll do it in style (Call of Cthulhu pose*)

* If you know what the pose looks like, you won't need an explanation. If you don't, your Mythos skill is too low :smallwink:

GoodbyeSoberDay
2012-03-09, 06:05 PM
The best Evil game I've played in was one where we all worshipped Erythnul and fought for religious freedom by burning down good-aligned churches and murdering their priests/clergy. We were all bloodlusting psychopaths, but we were also a well-oiled machine of death who acted more like extra-violent Shadowrunners than standard kick-in-the-door adventurers. My divination-focused cleric gathered information on the next target from afar while characters with mundane info-gathering and hiding skills cased the temple; we ended up either steamrolling encounters or shirking back to the shadows before the fight got truly heated... until we were infiltrated by a Pelorite spy in the form of a new player. We probably would have been more suspicious about were it not for the metagame "he looks like a trustworthy fellow" syndrome. It's too bad that game fell apart.

Calanon
2012-03-09, 06:54 PM
Evil Campaigns can get a little wild... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12822261&postcount=36)

If I had a nickle for every time we completely obliterated/conquered the world I would die a rich man...

Hell I'm in an Evil Campaign right now... :smallconfused: