PDA

View Full Version : How do PsyWar Soulbound Weapon ACF and Psychic Weapon Master work together?

danzibr
2012-03-09, 01:41 PM
In case anyone is unaware: PsyWar ACF (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a), Psychic Weapon Master (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a).

So here's my issue. With Call Weaponry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/callWeaponry.htm) you can't call a specific weapon, and it's not a crystal weapon. So how can you combine the bonded weapon part of Psychic Weapon Master with the Soulbound Weapon ACF?

Suppose you can do both at the same time? Would you have to do the +1 base for both? Or once you have the +1 from Soulbound Weapon ACF can you apply all the bonuses from Psychic Weapon Master as things like Keen and whatnot?

Rejusu
2012-03-09, 02:12 PM
Benefit: You must choose a soulbound weapon at 1st level and you gain the Weapon Focus feat with this weapon. Also, the first power you learn must be call weaponry. You can summon your chosen soulbound weapon to your hand using call weaponry.

At 2nd level, you gain the soulbound weaponclass ability, and the weapon you summon using call weaponry is of the same type as you chose at 1st level. Its physical appearance slowly changes, growing in power as you do. You must manifest the power call weaponry to obtain your soulbound weapon; you retain the weapon for the duration of the power. You may still use the call weaponry power as normal if you wish. This is a specific weapon every time you summon it

It's a little foggy in terms of RAW. "You must choose a soulbound weapon at 1st level" doesn't actually restrict what weapon you choose. You could choose something you're not proficient in for example. It also doesn't make any mention of materials. It says you can summon your chosen soulbound weapon with call weaponry and goes on to say that it's a specific weapon every time you summon it.

My interpretation is that it gives you an alternate use of Call Weaponry that overrides the implementation of it posted in the SRD. This line in particular: "You may still use the call weaponry power as normal if you wish" seems to support that interpretation. So potentially yes you could use it to get a crystal weapon.

However, you can't use that weapon for Psychic Weapon Master. For at least one reason:

The weapon must be a standard crystal melee weapon (without any magic or psionic enhancements).
Emphasis mine. Plus I don't know if enhancement bonuses from multiple sources stack, I don't think they do.

But really why would you want to go Psychic Weapon Master anyway? It's a terrible prestige class and the Soulbound weapon ACF makes it pretty much redundant.

Psyren
2012-03-09, 02:15 PM
My major question is why would you want to? Soulbound weapons can be improved with all the special abilities bonded weapons get, and the other bonuses aren't worth losing 5 ML.

eggs
2012-03-09, 02:18 PM
They don't stack on several levels:
-Soulbound Weapon is based on Call Weaponry, which makes a weapon of "ordinary materials."
-Soulbound Weapons get enhancement bonuses from level progression, and so don't qualify for the Bonded Weapon ability.

So if they're going to work, they're going to work via houseruling. So it's your call.

Z3ro
2012-03-09, 03:02 PM
Alternatively, talk to your DM. This is obviously a class/concept you really want to do (given your multiple posts), hopefully your DM will understand and houserule their stacking. It's not like Psychic weapon master is overpowered, even allowing it to stack with soulbound weapon would be a net-nerf over straight PW. I'd let it stack were I the DM.

danzibr
2012-03-09, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback all. In particular the ACF Call Weaponry seeming to act differently from the standard Call Weaponry.

Alternatively, talk to your DM. This is obviously a class/concept you really want to do (given your multiple posts), hopefully your DM will understand and houserule their stacking. It's not like Psychic weapon master is overpowered, even allowing it to stack with soulbound weapon would be a net-nerf over straight PW. I'd let it stack were I the DM.
Ha, thanks. I'm impressed you noticed (well, I'd be impressed if anyone noticed). Something about the whole calling a personal weapon (a very baddonkey one) while retaining (at least some of the) PsyWar powers is something I do find very cool. Even worth saccing the ML for (I don't play in high OP games; in fact, a PsyWar 20 played fairly well would outshine anyone else).