PDA

View Full Version : Nightcrawler Skills

Joe Eskimo
2012-03-09, 02:00 PM
Can anyone breakdown the skill distribution on the Nightcrawler Warlock Telflammar Shadowlord?
It's based on Rogue 3/Warlock 6/Telflammar Shadowlord 4 by thinblade.
The entry requirements on the Telflammar Shadowlord btw:
Non-good
Hide 10 ranks, Move Silently 10 ranks
Blind-fight, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack
Dimension Door as spell or SLA
Sneak attack +2d6

Rogue 3 only gets 6 ranks on hide/ms and hide and move silently are cross-class skills for the warlock. 6 levels only get 3 ranks each if i'm correct. So i'm only seeing 9 ranks. Is this right or am I just really bad at math?

AsteriskAmp
2012-03-09, 02:07 PM
Can anyone breakdown the skill distribution on the Nightcrawler Warlock Telflammar Shadowlord?
It's based on Rogue 3/Warlock 6/Telflammar Shadowlord 4 by thinblade.
The entry requirements on the Telflammar Shadowlord btw:
Non-good
Hide 10 ranks, Move Silently 10 ranks
Blind-fight, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack
Dimension Door as spell or SLA
Sneak attack +2d6

Rogue 3 only gets 6 ranks on hide/ms and hide and move silently are cross-class skills for the warlock. 6 levels only get 3 ranks each if i'm correct. So i'm only seeing 9 ranks. Is this right or am I just really bad at math?

Can't you start with Rogue, take six levels of Warlock, and then take the last rogue level?

Joe Eskimo
2012-03-09, 02:09 PM
aw crap. i'm such an idiot. didn't see that. that's exacty what he did.

Aerlock
2012-03-09, 04:54 PM
Can't you start with Rogue, take six levels of Warlock, and then take the last rogue level?

Apparently my math has left me high and dry today as I can't quite see how this works to get you 10 skill ranks. Wouldn't you still end up with 9 ranks? 6 from your 3 levels in Rogue and 3 from your 6 levels in Warlock?

- Aerlock

Seerow
2012-03-09, 05:05 PM
I'm pretty sure that if you multiclass into a class that doesn't have a skill as a class skill, the skill cap doesn't change, it just takes 2 points to invest in it that level.

For example, a Rogue 3 can have 6 ranks in Hide for 6 points. A Rogue 1/Warlock2 can also have 6 ranks in hide, but the last 2 ranks cost 2 points each instead of 1, so it costs 8 points total.

So as a Rogue3/Warlock6, you can get 6 ranks from Rogue, and need 4 more ranks from Warlock, meaning you need to spend a total of 14 skill points to get your skill to rating 10.

Alternatively you could go Rogue1 (hide/ms 4 ranks)/Warlock 6/Rogue2-3 (dump most of your skillpoints here into hide/ms), and get it at 10 ranks each, by never buying while it's cross class.

AsteriskAmp
2012-03-09, 07:03 PM
Apparently my math has left me high and dry today as I can't quite see how this works to get you 10 skill ranks. Wouldn't you still end up with 9 ranks? 6 from your 3 levels in Rogue and 3 from your 6 levels in Warlock?

- Aerlock
From the SRD, emphasis mine:

Originally Posted by The SRD http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/skillsSummary.htm)
Skills Summary

If you buy a class skill, your character gets 1 rank (equal to a +1 bonus on checks with that skill) for each skill point. If you buy other classes’ skills (cross-class skills), you get ½ rank per skill point.

Your maximum rank in a class skill is your character level + 3.
Your maximum rank in a cross-class skill is one-half of this number (do not round up or down).

If you are an ECL 8 and take a level in rogue, your new level plus 3 will be 12.

Godskook
2012-03-09, 07:14 PM

- Aerlock

Aerlock, your math is right. Araveugnitsuga was just not mentioning the implied 3rd rogue level which was mentioned in the OP. What Araveugnitsuga meant was either:

Rogue 2/Warlock 6/Rogue 1 -or- Rogue 1/Warlock 6/Rogue 2