PDA

View Full Version : Himura Kenshin Vs. Samurai Jack

Kyberwulf
2012-03-09, 02:13 PM
So, I was deep in sleep when i had this Dream.

Deep in the Bammbo Forest. Two Swordsmen meet.

I woke up before it was over, but it was kinda epic.

Who do you think would win?

Keeping in mind, no help for anyone. We will give them both plot reasons to fight and have to win. No one realizing they are both heroes and stopping the fight prematurely.

Who would win?

IrnBruAddict
2012-03-09, 02:24 PM
Jack, he has the cooler theme music. :smallwink:

Neither would die though, Kenshin doesn't kill and Jack only ever kills robots (I think).

But seriously, I think Jack could take him. Kenshin only fights superpowered humans, Jack takes on supernatural enemies more dangerous than anything Henshin fights. (I have actually been watching some samurai Jack recently and it was even more awesome than I remembered.)

Grinner
2012-03-09, 10:22 PM
Jack only ever kills robots (I think).

That was intentional. The creator didn't want to piss off the Powers That Be.

Dark Tira
2012-03-10, 12:31 AM
I'd give it to Jack. If you replaced Kenshin with his master Hiko Seijuro that'd be a totally different story though.

thubby
2012-03-10, 12:41 AM
i think jack wins. even if this is pre-tragedy kenshin, he's still ultimately much closer to RL human than jack.

also, kenshin still uses normal, if high quality, weapons. where jack has a magic sword proven capable of regularly slicing and dicing heavily armored machines.

Starwulf
2012-03-10, 01:38 AM
I can't really be objective in this, because I've never seen Samurai Jack, plus the Kenshin series is my favorite anime of all time, so, obviously I'll give the win to Kenshin! I will heartily second the idea that if it was Kenshins master it would probably be a no-contest. His master was the legend upon which the term "bad-ass" was based on.

Mikeavelli
2012-03-10, 03:11 AM
I'd give it to Jack. If you replaced Kenshin with his master Hiko Seijuro that'd be a totally different story though.

If during his journeys, Hiko Seijuro encountered god, god would be cut.

That said, Kenshin would lose to Jack.

Bastian Weaver
2012-03-10, 03:26 AM
There's no fighting style that could defeat Jack's. Victory to Jack!
P. S. He jumps good, too.

Cespenar
2012-03-11, 09:17 AM
Kenshin's ultimate technique makes things a little iffy, so it can go either way.

Venom3053000
2012-03-11, 02:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RTjUeRNnQA this amv shows just how high jack can jump and why he will win

if you don't like the song just mute it

edit: you should unmute if you do at the end to hear aku and jack

IrnBruAddict
2012-03-11, 04:40 PM
People forget that Jack's sword cuts through steel like nothing, and even with normal weapons he can demolish robots. As cool as Kenshin's sword is, Jack would cut it in two as soon as he got serious. Jack takes it. The one guy who thinks Kenshin would win has never seen the awesomeness that is Jack.

While versus threads seem close and arguemental, this one is almost onesided. Jack wins!:smallbiggrin:

And all this coming from a Kenshin main in Jump Ultimate Stars

Murillio
2012-03-11, 05:04 PM
Jack would definately win. They both have good techniques but Kenshin has a severe disadvantage.

Manga spoilers.

In the manga at least, Kenshin, though able to use the techniques taught to him by his master, was not able to use them consistently. If he did he would put to much strain on his body and promptly die. Kenshin IS a powerful swordsman but unlike Jack his body is to frail to withstand using his own powerful techniques.

Brother Oni
2012-03-11, 05:38 PM
People forget that Jack's sword cuts through steel like nothing, and even with normal weapons he can demolish robots. As cool as Kenshin's sword is, Jack would cut it in two as soon as he got serious. Jack takes it. The one guy who thinks Kenshin would win has never seen the awesomeness that is Jack.

Kenshin's sword isn't cool - it's a blunt weapon on the edge that matters.
However Jack's sword can't harm the innocent, so it boils down to has Kenshin atoned enough to be regarded as innocent by Jack's sword?
Aku couldn't even use the sword as blunt implement to hurt Jack, so if Kenshin is innocent, then the blade will do nothing to him.

Jack can jump good, but he doesn't use ranged weapons, so the extra mobility granted isn't that useful against Kenshin.

Jack has far more versatility, thus he can keep Kenshin's ability to read people to a minimal edge.
He's also significantly more durable than Kenshin, so assuming that Kenshin doesn't try to kill him immediately (and he won't), that puts things in Jack's favour.

As Cespenar says, Kenshin is quick and with his ultimate technique, damn near unbeatable, but the strain his sword techniques put on his body leave him with relatively little endurance.

In a short quick fight (two to three exchanges in less than two minutes) as outlined in the OP's statement, my money's on Kenshin. If Jack can drag it out to more than a couple minutes, things shift in his favour.

IrnBruAddict
2012-03-11, 07:15 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to say Jack would cut Kenshin. As I've said, neither man kills (anymore). I meant that if Jack can cut Kenshins sword in two then the fight is effectively over in his favour. And since it can cut through more advanced metals than were available in old Japan, it could. I think i remember somewhere learning only magical weapons can stop his blade, like the scotsmans claymore. As far as I know the reverse edge sword (which I can't remember the name of) is just normal.

thubby
2012-03-11, 07:48 PM
we've definitely seen jack use ranged weapons. in the first arc, no less.

he doesn't keep them on hand, granted, but he is definitely proficient in their use.

BRC
2012-03-11, 08:34 PM
I actually maintain that while Jack CAN cut through robots, he does so much less frequently than one would think. His sword has the power to turn anything it cuts into a Robot.

Psyren
2012-03-12, 09:56 AM
Kenshin - can cut people
Jack - can only cut robots

I don't see Jack winning this one.

Ikaruga (http://fairytail.wikia.com/wiki/Ikaruga) would own them both anyway.

Brother Oni
2012-03-12, 02:37 PM
Ikaruga (http://fairytail.wikia.com/wiki/Ikaruga) would own them both anyway.

Well you've nominated a swordsman from a world of magic users to go up against a mostly realistic character and a low magic world character.

It'd be like comparing a Gasaraki Tactical Armour and an NGE EVA to TTGL's Gurren Lagann.

Psyren
2012-03-12, 02:52 PM
Well you've nominated a swordsman from a world of magic users to go up against a mostly realistic character and a low magic world character.

It'd be like comparing a Gasaraki Tactical Armour and an NGE EVA to TTGL's Gurren Lagann.

Indeed :smallbiggrin:

But ok then. How about Mitsurugi? Ukyo? Setsuna?

I guess I'm not sure why the two folks in this thread are so special.

Brother Oni
2012-03-12, 03:04 PM
But ok then. How about Mitsurugi? Ukyo? Setsuna?

I guess I'm not sure why the two folks in this thread are so special.

Because they were the two the OP dreamed about? :smallconfused:

If you want to start a Heishiro Mitsurugi/Ukyo Tachibana/Setsuka (I assume you meant her) discussion, then feel free.

IrnBruAddict
2012-03-12, 03:09 PM
Ikaruga sucks to other shonen swordsman (Hawkeyes Mihawk, Killer B, Erza Scarlet :smalltongue:) out there but thats not what we were talking about. These two are similar levels and both just slightly superhuman. They have abilities that arent that far beyond belief but at the same time are still unrealistic enough to be awesome. Mitsurugi would be similar level but would get his butt kicked, he's like 50 and still never even seen Soul Calibur or Soul Edge. The only reason he's still in the game is cause he's a fan favourite.

Now Sanosuke Sagara vs the Scotsman would be interesting.

And Jack defeats plenty of demons and magical creatures (like elementals or golems, dunno which) so saying he only defeats robots is not true. He only kills robots.

Bastian Weaver
2012-03-12, 03:16 PM
Kenshin - can cut people
Jack - can only cut robots

I don't see Jack winning this one.

Take a closer look. Primo, Jack can cut robots, aliens, monsters, demons, Aku, and evil men. Secundo, we're not talking about who would cut his opponent - we're talking about who would win. There are many ways to defeat someone without cutting him.
And Jack knows them all. Seriously, he's not only a master swordsman, he's proficient in pretty much every weapon and fighting style of his time. Learned archery from Robin Hood, no less!
Just remember the Samurai vs Samurai episode when he defeated a whole army of killer robots using a bamboo stick.

Psyren
2012-03-12, 03:59 PM
Take a closer look. Primo, Jack can cut robots, aliens, monsters, demons, Aku, and evil men. Secundo, we're not talking about who would cut his opponent - we're talking about who would win. There are many ways to defeat someone without cutting him.
And Jack knows them all. Seriously, he's not only a master swordsman, he's proficient in pretty much every weapon and fighting style of his time. Learned archery from Robin Hood, no less!
Just remember the Samurai vs Samurai episode when he defeated a whole army of killer robots using a bamboo stick.

All right, you got me! I didn't actually watch Samurai Jack.

Because they were the two the OP dreamed about? :smallconfused:

If you want to start a Heishiro Mitsurugi/Ukyo Tachibana/Setsuka (I assume you meant her) discussion, then feel free.

Nah, I meant Setsuna (http://snk.wikia.com/wiki/Setsuna).

And I'll pass.

Bastian Weaver
2012-03-12, 07:19 PM
All right, you got me! I didn't actually watch Samurai Jack.

Ah, that explains a lot.
And it really is a great cartoon. :)

DigoDragon
2012-03-14, 07:48 AM
If I had to chose... probably Jack. Though I could also see them ending in a draw. They both don't seem to be the kind that need to fight to a decisive win.

Anteros
2012-03-15, 09:18 PM
I think people are severely underestimating Kenshin here. I'm rewatching the anime now, and he's regularly doing things like cutting through steel, jumping 50 feet in the air, cutting bullets and even cannonballs from the air with his sword, and moves so fast that the other characters will comment that they can't even track him with their eyes. He's certainly not a normal human, or even close to it like people are saying in this thread.

I'd put him on a level with Jack honestly. Maybe even a bit higher when he's serious.