PDA

View Full Version : Undead characters

pfz555
2012-03-09, 03:29 PM
I'm starting a high level campaign with some friends soon (might work up to an epic campaign but we're starting at 18 right now) and one of them is picking up an undead race for his character. I'm probably the only one who will actually be able to heal at all so I'm trying to work out good options for healing the party, but being undead makes him take damage from the standard Heal/Heal Mass spells and the Inflict spells are significantly less attractive (4d8 healing versus 150 HP). Are there any good options for keeping an undead healthy or will I just have to settle for the inflict series/forget about healing him at all?

teslas
2012-03-09, 03:35 PM
The fool chose to be undead? Make him worry about himself.

Generally speaking, though, Fast Healing effects affect undead normally. You also suggested the Inflict/Harm spells, which are pretty much your best option if you don't want to get too exotic. Harm is nearly every bit as good as Heal is for such a purpose.

Wyntonian
2012-03-09, 03:47 PM
The fool chose to be undead? Make him worry about himself.

yeah, a stack of immunities isn't really worth anything compared to not being healed by positive energy.

If you get the Vigor line of spells, preferably Persisted, then he'll get the fast healing from them. It's like the most effective healing you could be doing anyway, as far as I know.

Johel
2012-03-09, 04:21 PM
Generally speaking, though, Fast Healing effects affect undead normally. You also suggested the Inflict/Harm spells, which are pretty much your best option if you don't want to get too exotic. Harm is nearly every bit as good as Heal is for such a purpose.

Have to second this.
So Neutral Cleric is the way to go for you, I guess.

teslas
2012-03-09, 04:37 PM
Not to mention that if the undead dude doesn't need any healing, at 18th level that's a 75 damage (potentially 150, but let's not kid ourselves) touch attack you have sitting there ready. Can't exactly call that a wasted spell slot.

And Harm is not an evil spell, so his alignment doesn't really matter.

TheCountAlucard
2012-03-09, 04:45 PM
Is he applicable for Evolved Undead? That could help by giving him an always-on Fast Healing. :smallcool:

Garagos
2012-03-09, 04:55 PM
Have any warlocks in your party by chance? There is an invocation they can apply to Eldritch Blasts which turn the blast to negative energy, which could be used to help heal in a pinch. I've used it with my warlock who managed to get control of a bunch of shadows during a siege type attack. Combined it with Chain Blast and they lasted a lot longer than they should have vs. what we were fighting.

Wavelab
2012-03-09, 06:51 PM
Have any warlocks in your party by chance? There is an invocation they can apply to Eldritch Blasts which turn the blast to negative energy, which could be used to help heal in a pinch. I've used it with my warlock who managed to get control of a bunch of shadows during a siege type attack. Combined it with Chain Blast and they lasted a lot longer than they should have vs. what we were fighting.

If you are referring to Utterdark blast I fear you are mistaken. It doesn't deal negative energy damage but instead grants negative levels.

If you are referring to another blast type please direct me to it, I'm intrigued.

TheCountAlucard
2012-03-09, 06:53 PM
If you are referring to Utterdark blast I fear you are mistaken. It doesn't deal negative energy damage but instead grants negative levels.Negative levels are associated with negative energy; undead who are hit with them gain temporary hit points.

DaedalusMkV
2012-03-09, 07:03 PM
If you are referring to Utterdark blast I fear you are mistaken. It doesn't deal negative energy damage but instead grants negative levels.

If you are referring to another blast type please direct me to it, I'm intrigued.

Utterdark Blast very much does deal negative energy damage. It both deals negative levels and changes the blast into negative energy. The text of the invocation in the book specifically mentions that it makes the Blast heal undead instead of harming them, so I have no idea where you got your interpretation.

SirFredgar
2012-03-09, 08:15 PM
I am curious: What class is the undead player?

If he is something like a Dread Necromancer, then healing him really shouldn't be an issue. He'd get all the inflicts on his spell list as well as harm... oh and a touch attack he can use at will to heal himself up to full HP between encounters.

If he's not a Dread Necromancer.... well... tell him to play one :)

Wavelab
2012-03-09, 09:56 PM
Utterdark Blast very much does deal negative energy damage. It both deals negative levels and changes the blast into negative energy. The text of the invocation in the book specifically mentions that it makes the Blast heal undead instead of harming them, so I have no idea where you got your interpretation.

Oh my bad, I was checking the short description that says "Target must make a fortitude save or gain two negative levels" but now glancing over the full description I notice my mistake, thank you.

Coidzor
2012-03-09, 10:32 PM
What is he playing? If he's got a level of dread necromancer he's covered outside of combat.

If Sandstorm material is on the table he has access to Black Sand which is always on 1d4 fast healing for him if he keeps it in his boot/clothing/etc.

Particle_Man
2012-03-09, 11:39 PM
Have someone in the campaign (even a cohort) take a level of shadow sun ninja for infinite out of combat healing of undead and non-undead party members?