PDA

View Full Version : Cursed Sword: Immune to Sundering?

Rossebay
2012-03-09, 06:46 PM
So, your -2 Cursed Sword gets broken.

You then call it back by drawing something else. The sword comes back to you, right? Breaking it isn't a way of getting rid of it.

Since it doesn't state anything about it, the SWORD comes back. Every piece. If that's the case, it'd technically reform upon teleporting back to the wielder, right?

skycycle blues
2012-03-09, 07:02 PM
The rules are very foggy about how exactly the Cursed Sword affects things, but since Sundering isn't a Wish, Limited Wish, or Miracle. The wielder would still not be able to get rid of it. They might be forced to constantly draw a shattered sword.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-09, 07:06 PM
A broken sword is still a sword. You got to go around holding the busted weapon, unable to damage anything with it but unable to use anything else, with the possible exception of gauntlets already worn and unarmed strikes.

Need_A_Life
2012-03-09, 07:11 PM
Well, you have to attack with it, it doesn't necessarily have to be intact.

Attacking with the hilt of the sword is perfectly possible, even if it's not particularly efficient. Say:

-6 attack (-2 enhancement, -4 non-proficiency)
1d4+½str-2

Using cursed items for your benefit is just begging to come back to haunt you.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-03-09, 07:19 PM
I'd make you still attack with the broken sword as an improvised weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#improvisedWeapons): -4 penalty to hit, the damage would be one die smaller than what the sword normally got, and only threatens on a natural 20 for a x2 crit. That's in addition to the sword's normal -2 penalty, of course.

Rossebay
2012-03-09, 07:20 PM
Well, you have to attack with it, it doesn't necessarily have to be intact.

Attacking with the hilt of the sword is perfectly possible, even if it's not particularly efficient. Say:

-6 attack (-2 enhancement, -4 non-proficiency)
1d4+½str-2

Using cursed items for your benefit is just begging to come back to haunt you.

Hahaha. I've got a pretty good system worked out for making it not break, I was just wondering if it was immune to sundering or not. I guess not.

Suddo
2012-03-09, 07:37 PM
Its going to be really fun when they try to smash it to bits and they draw their other sword only to have dust of the crushed sword come their hand.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-03-09, 10:36 PM
Unrelated, but...

There are gloves that confer the throwing property upon the weapon that you're holding.

Just sayin'. :smallbiggrin:

Rossebay
2012-03-09, 10:50 PM
Unrelated, but...

There are gloves that confer the throwing property upon the weapon that you're holding.

Just sayin'. :smallbiggrin:

I don't see where you're going with this.

TuggyNE
2012-03-09, 10:51 PM
I don't see where you're going with this.

Free returning property, I think.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-03-09, 10:57 PM
Free returning property, I think.

Something like that.

Sorry, I know this thread is probably tangentially related to some *other* discussion about the abuses of the -2 Cursed Sword, but I figured I'd throw that out there. :smallamused:

Rossebay
2012-03-09, 11:40 PM
Something like that.

Sorry, I know this thread is probably tangentially related to some *other* discussion about the abuses of the -2 Cursed Sword, but I figured I'd throw that out there. :smallamused:

It is. Haha.

I just may use that...

Jeraa
2012-03-09, 11:40 PM
A damaged magic item continues to function, but if it is destroyed, all its magical power is lost.

All of a magic items power is lost when broken, not just the beneficial stuff. Drop a cursed sword to 0 hp, all of its abilities stop functioning, including the "can't wield another weapon" part.

Rossebay
2012-03-09, 11:55 PM
All of a magic items power is lost when broken, not just the beneficial stuff. Drop a cursed sword to 0 hp, all of its abilities stop functioning, including the "can't wield another weapon" part.

Except Sunder is not Wish.

It is explicitly stated that nothing but Limited Wish, Wish, Miracle, or the other miracle spell will stop the cursed sword from doing its thang.

Jeraa
2012-03-10, 12:12 AM
Except Sunder is not Wish.

It is explicitly stated that nothing but Limited Wish, Wish, Miracle, or the other miracle spell will stop the cursed sword from doing its thang.

Those spells are required to get rid of a still functioning (1 hit point or more remaining) sword. But once a cursed sword is reduced to 0 hit points, it is no longer a magical sword. Its broken junk, and whatever magical abilities it had are gone.

A cursed sword doesn't say its effects still apply even after being broken, so the general rule still applies. A completely broken magic item does not function at all.

shadow_archmagi
2012-03-10, 12:13 AM

Stop me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Curse still intact, in that the Cursed Item causes the person who equips it to become Cursed? Sort of like how killing the mummy doesn't cure the Mummy Rot- You still need a remove curse?

Mystify
2012-03-10, 01:28 AM
Those spells are required to get rid of a still functioning (1 hit point or more remaining) sword. But once a cursed sword is reduced to 0 hit points, it is no longer a magical sword. Its broken junk, and whatever magical abilities it had are gone.

A cursed sword doesn't say its effects still apply even after being broken, so the general rule still applies. A completely broken magic item does not function at all.
If it works how you say, then the item is completely pointless as you can have your friend sunder the sword, and you are free. You don't set up wishes as the means to stop the item then let it be destroyed by something as mundane as smashing it.

Rossebay
2012-03-10, 12:28 PM
If it works how you say, then the item is completely pointless as you can have your friend sunder the sword, and you are free. You don't set up wishes as the means to stop the item then let it be destroyed by something as mundane as smashing it.

This. I mean, it'd make sense for most things, but this is a curse. The item continues to function after being destroyed. Getting it made out of aurorum is the only way to ensure you aren't screwed forever when wielding it, haha.

Worira
2012-03-10, 12:58 PM
You know, I'm kind of curious how exactly a magical item that can only be made by a 15th level or higher caster casting either a 4th and 7th or a 3rd and 9th level spell works out to 1500 GP.

Rossebay
2012-03-10, 01:23 PM
You know, I'm kind of curious how exactly a magical item that can only be made by a 15th level or higher caster casting either a 4th and 7th or a 3rd and 9th level spell works out to 1500 GP.

Because it's suddenly the only item you can ever hope to use if traveling alone. Sure, your allies can throw you weapons, but you can't draw a single thing for yourself.
And it's at a -2.