PDA

View Full Version : Don't Split The Party question

Ron Miel
2012-03-09, 06:47 PM
I've not seen the print editions of any collections, only the online comic. I've heard that some strips have been changed for the print edition to make the joke work better.

Was strip #649 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0649.html)changed? Haley climbing over a facsimile of the web page might not make sense on the printed page.

Whiffet
2012-03-09, 07:00 PM
Nope. It's the same.

Goosefarble
2012-03-09, 07:30 PM
.../thread, I guess.

OH HEY WAIT I HAVE A SIMILAR QUESTION

That strip where Tsukiko electric orbs Haley off the panel - how's that done?

Porthos
2012-03-09, 07:34 PM
.../thread, I guess.

OH HEY WAIT I HAVE A SIMILAR QUESTION

That strip where Tsukiko electric orbs Haley off the panel - how's that done?

She's blasted into a completely blank page. :smallsmile:

Goosefarble
2012-03-09, 07:41 PM
I figured it was something like that. Thanks for the answer, I'm glad I hijacked someone's thread to get it.

NerfTW
2012-03-09, 11:45 PM
I've not seen the print editions of any collections, only the online comic. I've heard that some strips have been changed for the print edition to make the joke work better.

No strips were changed to make the joke work better. There was an Mind Flayer/Illithid change, but that wasn't for the sake of a joke.

When you see a half page in the online comic, it combines with the following comic's half page at the beginning. But that's not really a change.

I believe the only two times were Roy jumping on the zombie dragon (it was enlarged and modified slightly) and Haley being blasted onto the blank page when she was blasted out of the comic panel. (But that isn't really a change, especially considering the comic wasn't shrunk or modified to make it work.)

Retrieving the diamond off the cast page stayed the same. Why wouldn't it make sense? I'd be hard pressed to find ANYONE who reads the print books and doesn't realize it's a web comic. You'd have to go out of your way to ignore the introduction, comments, and the product page to not know that.

KillianHawkeye
2012-03-10, 08:11 AM
How about the strip where Roy falls to his death? I only ask because that strip was unusually long and thin.

FujinAkari
2012-03-10, 08:14 AM
It was printed to be unusually long and thin :)

Seriously guys, changes, they weren't made :)

Dr. Gamera
2012-03-10, 08:59 AM
Retrieving the diamond off the cast page stayed the same. Why wouldn't it make sense?

...especially since the cast page is one of The Order of the Stick EXTRAS! after comic 120 in Dungeon Crawlin' Fools.

The diamond is still on the cast page in the printed copy, though.

Jaros
2012-03-10, 09:11 AM
What would be beautiful is if it wasn't there in the new print run...

Porthos
2012-03-10, 01:25 PM
How about the strip where Roy falls to his death? I only ask because that strip was unusually long and thin.

It doesn't fall out of book like a bookmark, if that's what you're asking. :smalltongue:

The one long singluar row is split up and printed side-by-side. Instead of reading left to right/down a row/left to right, it is set up to be read top to bottom/over a column/top to bottom.

There also was some minor editing as the last panel of #442 was shifted to the top of #443. It served as an "overlap panel" that sat on top of one set of the Roy Free Fallin' columns.

Goosefarble
2012-03-10, 02:18 PM

Reeeeally? The page is tiny and really long, and extends out of the bottom of the comic? Surely not.

Cizak
2012-03-10, 02:50 PM

Um, false. It has been cut and the pieces put side by side. No dialouge or art were changed, the but format definitely was.

Cizak
2012-03-10, 02:53 PM

Um, false. It has been cut and the pieces put side by side. No dialouge or art were changed, the but format definitely was.

Redgoblin
2012-03-10, 03:09 PM
It was mentioned that the Mind/Flayer portion is changed. How is it different than online?

I assume the change is to avoid trademark disputes, so I understand why it was changed.

NerfTW
2012-03-10, 07:30 PM
It was mentioned that the Mind/Flayer portion is changed. How is it different than online?

I assume the change is to avoid trademark disputes, so I understand why it was changed.

Exactly what I said. They just changed the name. That is all. The joke remained the same. (the lawyers pulling it off panel)

Kish
2012-03-10, 08:50 PM

"Mind Flayer" becomes "Brain Eater" the first time, when it's in Elan's thought-bubble, and "brain-eating aberration" when it's Rich saying, "Hey, kids! See what the brain-eating aberration is thinking!"

"Illithid" becomes "Illithoid."

Ron Miel
2012-03-10, 10:01 PM
What was that needed for? would Rich really have been risking a lawsuit if he used the proper name? He feels safe using appearances of Batman and Cyclops.

Porthos
2012-03-11, 02:12 AM
What was that needed for? would Rich really have been risking a lawsuit if he used the proper name? He feels safe using appearances of Batman and Cyclops.

This is just me speculating, but it could just be the difference between a writer very early in his career being extra careful and one later who is more sure with what he can and cannot "get away" with later on.

It's rather easy for a Big Time Author (or even a Relatively Big Time one) to go down the road of Parody Is Protected Speech. It might not be quite as easy for one who is just getting their first book published.

Also, as I think about it, it might be something as simple as not wanting to rock the boat too much with WotC at that time.

NerfTW
2012-03-11, 05:07 PM
This is just me speculating, but it could just be the difference between a writer very early in his career being extra careful and one later who is more sure with what he can and cannot "get away" with later on. .

Bingo. Why take the risk? As a webcomic, if they complained, he could just change it. In print, if they complained, the remaining stock can't be sold and would have to be destroyed, leaving him out the money.

It's better to err on the side of caution when it comes to a potential complaint. Yes, it probably falls under parody, but he'd still have to pay for a lawyer and argue it in court. And if he lost, he'd be out the lawyer money and any remaining copies of the book he had in stock.

Mr. Pants
2012-03-16, 12:48 AM
Why do I get the feeling that every time a character breaks the fourth wall the Snarl's rift starts to grow bigger?

Nimrod's Son
2012-03-16, 03:10 AM
There is one instance where Rich changed the dialogue slightly that wasn't for copyright reasons. In the last two panels of #16 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0016.html), the lines in DCF are changed to "which is cool" and "A lich's ghoul?" respectively.

Personally, I prefer the online version there, precisely because Durkon is stretching it way too far.

Surfing HalfOrc
2012-03-16, 03:59 AM

It was changed here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0006.html

In the Strip, Durkon is a box of Band Aid brand bandages. In the book, it just says Bandages (Johnson & Johnson was changed on the bottom of the can to John & John. Copyright issues, I'd assume).

COMPLETELY changed the tone of the book! :smallbiggrin:

Also, my FAVORITE scene (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0430.html) became a two page panel, and is one of the Wallpapers I hope Rich makes for one of the Kickstarter Rewards.

(Please, Please, Please)

tassaron
2012-03-16, 05:22 AM
There are numerous small art fixes and typo corrections throughout the books in addition to the stuff posted above. Nothing important.

Roy's reference to "looking through this comic's archives" near the beginning of the Resistance subplot in DSTP was changed to "having copies of the previous three books". Why this specific line was changed when so many other online-only things like the aforementioned cast page gag were left in, I have no idea.

Kish
2012-03-16, 05:30 AM
Why do I get the feeling that every time a character breaks the fourth wall the Snarl's rift starts to grow bigger?
I don't know why you get that feeling. Considering the rifts have not yet consumed the OotS world, I'd say we can be pretty sure that's not it.

Sunken Valley
2012-03-16, 05:53 AM
Changes were made. Multiple references to "archive" were changed to "books".

Mr. Pants
2012-03-16, 04:37 PM
I don't know why you get that feeling. Considering the rifts have not yet consumed the OotS world, I'd say we can be pretty sure that's not it.

It'd make sense considering the rift seems to lead to the real world...

ti'esar
2012-03-16, 06:44 PM
It'd make sense considering the rift seems to lead to the real world...

Please stop posting random things. The Giant explicitly shot this theory down a long time ago.

factotum
2012-03-17, 02:25 AM
Even if he hadn't, it's pretty darned obvious that the world Blackwing saw through the rift is nothing like our world anyway!

Katana_Geldar
2012-03-17, 02:43 AM
There are numerous small art fixes and typo corrections throughout the books in addition to the stuff posted above. Nothing important.

Roy's reference to "looking through this comic's archives" near the beginning of the Resistance subplot in DSTP was changed to "having copies of the previous three books". Why this specific line was changed when so many other online-only things like the aforementioned cast page gag were left in, I have no idea.

Maybe because the cast gag is a major art change and the others were minor dialogue changes?

Bastian Weaver
2012-03-17, 04:30 AM
I'd like to know if this page (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0645.html) had any changes. You know... Belkar's line in Panel 3 about bonus content?

Katana_Geldar
2012-03-17, 04:45 AM
No, no change there.

Kish
2012-03-17, 06:36 AM
Beyond that, of course, someone reading the book knew that the rescue did get added in as bonus content, because s/he just finished reading it.

Ron Miel
2012-03-17, 11:37 AM
I'd like to know if this page (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0645.html) had any changes. You know... Belkar's line in Panel 3 about bonus content?

No, no change there.

But I think I saw someone commenting that there WAS a bonus strip added. Is that correct?

martianmister
2012-03-17, 11:53 AM
But I think I saw someone commenting that there WAS a bonus strip added. Is that correct?

I'd like to know if this page had any changes. You know... Belkar's line in Panel 3 about bonus content?

No, no change there.

Bastian Weaver
2012-03-17, 12:03 PM
I see. Thanks!

Kish
2012-03-17, 12:05 PM
If the cast page was printed in any of the books--I can't remember, offhand, if it's in Dungeon Crawling Fools--then that printing has not changed and still has the diamond, not the IOU.

So how would you think the "aforementioned cast page gag" would have been changed in print? The only relevant change I could think of, would be to explicitly say "the online cast page"...which would be very unnecessary.

Gift Jeraff
2012-03-17, 02:58 PM
The demon-roach's line at the end of Volume 2 is also changed to say end of the book.
But I think I saw someone commenting that there WAS a bonus strip added. Is that correct?8 bonus strips, in fact.

SaintRidley
2012-03-17, 03:28 PM
If the cast page was printed in any of the books--I can't remember, offhand, if it's in Dungeon Crawling Fools--then that printing has not changed and still has the diamond, not the IOU.

It's in the back of DCF. And yeah, wouldn't make sense to have the I.O.U. there in any printing of the book, since it's a spoiler at that point.