PDA

View Full Version : PF Artifact Weapons - PEACH

Maquise
2012-03-09, 11:56 PM
I'm trying to design some artifact weapons, and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on their design. The fluff is specific to my homebrew setting.

Spear of Fate

One of the three relics wielded by the paladin champion Meridous, the Spear of Fate was delivered to him by the Aeon servants of the god of Destiny, Akasha.

This +2 Greyflame adamantine weapon can be wielded either as a spear or a lance, at the choice of the bearer. In the hands of a chosen servant of Akasha, its enhancement bonus increases to +6. In addition, the bearer gains a +5 sacred bonus to all saves. Once per day, the chosen bearer can designate one opponent to bring the powers of Destiny and Doom against their opponent. Any injury inflicted during that time cannot be healed either naturally or magically; a casting of Miracle or Wish is required to reverse this effect.The first attack made using this ability is automatically subject to a True Strike effect, and all attacks made against the designated target ignore concealment.

If an opponent is slain by the Invocation of Destiny and Doom, they cannot be resurrected short of a Miracle used to negate this effect, followed by the casting of True Resurrection.

Sword of Retribution

This elegant, gilded sword was wrought within the forges of the Celestia and bears the mark of Ashelon, god of justice. It was bestowed by the archons to the archpaladin Meridous as one of three boons given to him by the Thrones.

This +5 adamantine great sword functions as a Holy Avenger to the subject of the wielder's Smite Evil. The abilities of the Holy Avenger function as though the wielder were a 20th level Paladin, and while wielding the Sword of Retribution, the wielder's Smite Evil functions as though the wielder were a 20th level Paladin. If the wielder is Good-aligned, the sword allows its wielder to make use of one additional use of Smite Evil per day than what they could normally have, even if they normally would not have any.

This weapon can also be used as the focus for the channeling of positive energy. When it is, in addition to the standard effects of the energy channel, the weapon casts a Bless effect, with a CL of 20. The Sword of Retribution is Good-aligned.

Heart of the Beloved
Thanks W3BDragon

Covered in gold and silver filigree, this armor was provided for the protection of the champion Meridous at the behest of the goddess of love, Aurelia. In addition to providing unparalleled protection against both the weapons and sorcery of Evil, the armor serves to magnify the wearer's physical and spiritual beauty. A large red gem set over the heart of the wearer grants the ability to call upon the wearer's most trusted friend or lover.

This +5 mithral breastplate grants the wearer a continuous caster level 20th Sanctuary effect (DC 29 will save neg). If an attacker succeeds on the save, they become immune to the sanctuary effect for 24 hours. If the wearer attacks, the sanctuary effect is broken for the target automatically. This armor grants the wearer a spell resistance of 35 against spells of an evil nature, or spells cast by evil characters. The red gem holds 4 charges which can be used to cast the spells in the table below. The target can only be the wearer's most trusted friend of lover, determined when the armor is first worn. The gem recharges to full every dawn. As long as the gem still has charges left, it grants the wearer a sacred bonus to his charisma score equal to +6. This bonus is doubled when in the presence of the wearer's designated friend or lover.

Ability | Cost
Sending |1 Charge
Scrying |2 Charges
Teleport without Error* |3 Charges

* Can only teleport to the target, or have the target teleport to you.

These are a work in progress.

Tarvon000
2012-03-10, 10:08 AM
The spear of fate is hard to evaluate, since you haven't said how one becomes a chosen servant of Akasha or what it entails. By the way, you can just say that the spear becomes a +6 weapon rather than gaining an additional bonus to attack and damage rolls beyond its enhancement bonus (unless you don't want chosen servants of Akasha to be better at sundering other weapons).

Other than that minor detail, I like it. It's one of the few weapons that gives you choices in combat besides "Who will I attack this round?"

Maquise
2012-03-11, 09:24 PM
Reworded the Spear of Fate, added the Sword of Retribution.

W3bDragon
2012-03-12, 04:54 AM
These seem interesting. I would add that artifacts tend to have high caster levels. As such, don't shy away from throwing out very high CLs for their abilities.

For example, the Bless component of the Sword of Retribution should be caster level 20th. The fact that the sword becomes a holy avenger is good, but I would suggest that it makes a Smite Evil attempt used while it is wielded equal to a 20th level paladin's smite evil with a charisma score of 30 (unless the wielder is higher) and its other abilities (greater dispel magic and spell resistance) also function as if the wielder is a 20th level paladin. Otherwise, both the dispel and the spell resistance will be very lackluster for an artifact.

As for a completely different angle to consider for the sword (alternative, not additive) and to accentuate the "Retribution" theme, you could have it automatically use Smite Evil whenever the wielder is struck by a qualifying target. This ability allows the wielder to go beyond the normal limitation of only one Smite Evil active at a time. It also grants a bonus number of Smite Evil uses per day equal to a 20th level Paladin, as long as the character has the Smite Evil class feature.

As for the spear of fate, it looks nice, but I'd throw in a True Strike effect on the first attack against the target of the Destiny and Doom ability. +20 to attack and ignore concealment.

The fun thing with artifacts is having them break the rules in interesting ways. An artifact used in combat must feel incredibly powerful, downright scary even.

Maquise
2012-03-12, 09:21 AM
I like your ideas, W3bDragon, and have implemented them. I chose to stick with the original use of the Smite effect, but did beef it up.

I'm still drawing a blank on the armor though. Its abilities have to fit a specific crunch. I guess I'll post it and see what posters suggest:

Covered in gold and silver filigree, this armor was provided for the protection of the champion Meridous at the behest of the goddess of love, Aurelia. In addition to providing unparalleled protection against both the weapons and sorcery of Evil, the armor serves to magnify the wearer's physical and spiritual beauty. A large red gem set over the heart of the wearer grants the ability to call upon the wearer's most trusted friend or lover.

W3bDragon
2012-03-12, 11:56 AM
I'll use the name I'm using for my current character's armor, and try to fit in some of the abilities from the description.

Refuge of the Faithful

This +5 mithral breastplate grants the wearer a continuous caster level 20th Sanctuary effect (DC 29 will save neg). If an attacker succeeds on the save, they become immune to the sanctuary effect for 24 hours. If the wearer attacks, the sanctuary effect is broken for the target automatically. This armor grants the wearer a spell resistance of 35 against spells of an evil nature, or spells cast by evil characters. The red gem holds 4 charges which can be used to cast the spells in the table below. The target can only be the wearer's most trusted friend of lover, determined when the armor is first worn. The gem recharges to full every dawn. As long as the gem still has charges left, it grants the wearer a sacred bonus to his charisma score equal to +6. This bonus is doubled when in the presence of the wearer's designated friend or lover.

{table]Ability | Cost
Sending | 1 Charge
Scrying | 2 Charges
Teleport without Error* | 3 Charges
[/table]
* Can only teleport to the target, or have the target teleport to you.

Note: Not fully happy with it, but its a start.

Maquise
2012-03-14, 10:09 AM
Looks good for the most part. I'll probably change the name yet, but I'm still trying to brainstorm a fitting one. Other than that, keep it up; I appreciate the ideas.

Maquise
2012-03-16, 12:34 PM
So, anyone else have an opinion on these artifacts? Are they good, power-wise? Interesting enough?

Maquise
2012-08-29, 09:50 AM
I was looking through here, and realized I never designated a way for the Heart of the Beloved to recharge. I'm thinking that it would involve the wearer's designated companion.