PDA

View Full Version : Silver Fire

TheOneWhoWalks
2012-03-10, 06:41 PM
Ok, I'm playing in a Pathfinder game, and my character is a transplant from the Forgotten Realms (literally; he got tricked into running through a one-way portal, and can't get back.). He's a bastard child of Elminster and the third incarnation (...or whatever) of Mystra (silly concept for a character, probably, but I'm having fun with it :-P), so I was planing for him to have at least limited access to Silver Fire, and the DM is on board with the idea. The trouble is two-fold; First, Silver fire is a 3.0 mechanic (to the best of my knowledge it was never converted to 3.5, or even assessed to see if conversion was necessary), and I can't find the actual stats for it anywhere. I know I've seen them once, ages ago, but now all I can find are references to it, when various books talk about Spellfire (which is similar in principle, but very different in effect). I can find nothing that sites a book or page number, and my Google searches have so far come up empty for rules. SO I was hoping someone could point me to where the 3.0/3.5 rules governing Silver Fire are spelled out, so I can start working on a conversion, and also, maybe get some thoughts on wither Silver Fire would even function, in a world without Troil's Weave. Thanks in advance!

Jeraa
2012-03-10, 06:45 PM
Silver fire can be found in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, under the Spellfire section (page 56).

and also, maybe get some thoughts on wither Silver Fire would even function, in a world without Troil's Weave.

Well, if you go by the 4e Realms, the weave was never actually necessary for magic to begin with. However, the FRCS says that silver fire is "unique to the Chosen of Mystra". No Mystra, there are no Chosen, so no silver fire.

Edit: After looking at the ring, there is a bit of conversion necessary. One of silver fires abilities functions as a Ring of Warmth, which doesn't exist in 3.5/Pathfinder. It functions as if Endure Elements(cold) was cast upon the wearer (which gives them cold resistance 5). Endure Elements no longer functions like that.

So, for 3.5/Pathfinder, either change that ability to Cold Resistance 5, or a constant Endure Elements effect (but no cold resistance). Cold Resistance 5 is more in line with Silver Fires 3.0 abilities, though.

TheOneWhoWalks
2012-03-11, 11:25 AM
Very helpful, thank you! :-) I think you're right about the Cold Resistance being more in the spirit of Silver Fire, so I'll probably go with that. Thanks very much for the info, and the input about the viability, as well. I haven't really done much with 4e, and specifically not the FR 4e stuff, but the little I know includes that Mystra is dead, and magic still seems to work (although, my understanding of the Weave was that it was basically one part User Interface, one part restriction plate between mortals and the raw power of magic, so even without it, magic itself would still be there, just much more dangerous to use... but I'm getting off topic) , so... I'll work that into my thought process, and see where it leads me :-) cheers!