PDA

View Full Version : New DM needing help designing a campaign.

Talkan
2012-03-10, 07:57 PM
This might be a bit of a read. Sorry about that.

Ok, so I'm going to be running a campaign with a group of friends. It won't be for a while, the earliest it'll start is the end of the semester, so I've got a couple of months to plan during my down time. I'm not expecting this to be very good, mediocre at best, but I'll definitely do my best to help everyone have fun. I've even set aside some notepads for the first session so that I can have the players write down stuff I do that they do and don't like and everything I do that they don't understand the motives or reasoning behind, so that I can know what they don't like and adapt my DMing style if needed.

I don't have a plethora of dice, but I do have the WotC Dice simulator bookmarked. Is this a suitable substitute?

In all the games I've played, someone has died early on (level 2 and below) so I'm starting it at level 4. The Players all also like some decent power in the beginning and level 1 or 2 isn't really enjoyable to them. I don't know why, 4 just seemed like a good number to me. I was considering lowering it to 3, but some of the players have already made character sheets, and I don't really want to force them to remake them. Is 4 a good starting level?

The Island
The campaign is set on a large, secluded island in the middle of an ocean. Not the size of Greenland, but large enough to have a mountain range, a couple plains, a few large forests, maybe a swamp, etc. There are some islands relatively nearby, but most are inhabited by monstrous races, so not many people explore them. The island is inhabited by Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, Halflings, Humans, and Goblins (only Goblins at first. Not Bugbears or Hobgoblins). Goblins are considered pests of bestial intelligence. Orcs live on a nearby island and get bored occasionally and decide to pillage the nearby island. Half-orcs are a result and are seen as abominations and are either left to die in the wild (and possibly grow up as barbarians/druids/rangers) or used as cheap manual labor.
The island is large enough to have several small settlements for each race (excluding Goblins) and at least two cities. There is an extremely influential Church system, which incorporates all the pantheons of each race. The headquarters of this Church is in the dead center of the Island and each pantheon has its own headquarters in the main city of its race.
There is a 'Council of Races' with 5 members of each sentient race contributing. I want a sort of race-based caste system-type thing, such as Gnomes on top, Halflings on bottom, everyone else somewhere in between. Not necessarily that though, that was just an example. I somewhat want hunting to be restricted if not outright illegal, since they're on an island with limited resources.
There will be a University of types, which will encompass Wizardry, Bardic training, Fighter School, and others. Monks will be taught at Monasteries instead of the University, while Clerics and Paladins will be taught in a combination of both.
Magic will be heavily regulated by the Church, especially Necromancy, which will have a 'You will be interrogated and possibly killed if we find you using it' policy. The same thing for associating with Demons and Dragons. The Church is pretty much the governing body and they use their Paladins and Clerics as well as Lawful Fighters to enforce the laws and regulations they put out.
Once a year there is a Performance competition in one of the towns, where you enter into your best skill of performing and try to win with a performance check. There is a cash reward. I know this is tailored towards Bards, but I think it adds flavor to the land. I'm also debating having an Archery, Fencing, Wrestling, and other contests to make it more balanced.

That's pretty much all I have for the mechanics of the Island. I do have some ideas for story-lines, but I need help in narrowing them down. I'm thinking of giving the players the choice of their side in all of these.

1)A coven of Necromancers are going to attempt to get the laws to change so that there won't be Discrimination against any Magic school. The Church doesn't like this. The group decides what side they're on, and a massive Undead VS Church war breaks out. This sounds over-used to me, but I don't think I'll do this one anyway, since there are possibly two Rogues, and potentially no cleric in the party (Explained below). It might depend on what side they chose, though. If they are on the side of the undead, that might be better. This was my first idea, and I think it would be fun to try, but I might want to save this for later, when I have more experience under my belt.
2)A bunch of Warlocks (not necessarily the character class) are communing with Demons and are planning a full-scale invasion. Pretty much the same as the 1st one, but with Outsiders instead of Undead. Might progress to a 'Heaven VS Hell' campaign. It's probably also over-used, but I think it could be fun. Also maybe a little crazy for a new DM.
3)The native Goblins are becoming stronger and smarter and are enlisting the help of Orcs and other monstrous humanoids to destroy the oppressive 'sentient' races. They will eventually experiment in cross-breeding, resulting in strange new races. I like this one, but it could use a lot of work and I think it might end up being shorter than others.
4)A chunk of the Druidic Council has decided that all civilization is bad and that they must 'lead all back to The Wild'. They will enlist the help of some Clerics, Rangers, and Barbarians. This one seems to me to be the simplest and most easily done, and it works well with the party's play style.
5)The Dwarves have found a massive cavern that doesn't look like it's naturally occurring, with strange statues and runes carved into the walls. They need a group of hardy adventurers to explore it and tell them what it's like. Likely to include Illithids, Drow, and other subterranean races/monsters. I'd prefer not to do a massive Dungeon Crawl, but I'm up for almost anything.
6)A group of humanoids (not sure what type exactly. Maybe Tieflings or Aasimar) with more advanced technology and magic come from across the seas and start offering to trade and help this society. They are welcomed warmly and given generous offers for their fancy wares. The newcomers then attack unexpectedly. The Church will be divided, some thinking it is the Will of the Gods and that they have been unrighteous, others thinking these are Demons come to bring about the Apocalypse who must be destroyed at their source, and others not sure what to think. The general public will be in chaos and many will want to fight and hurt the enemy. Players decide what they want to do. This one is my favorite, since I like history, and this is heavily based on the Spanish invasion of the Americas. The NPCs won't necessarily be a lot more powerful than the players, they will just have more flashy stuff.
7)Then there's the crazy idea that I just let the players choose their own path, like a sandbox-type thing, which I'm honestly not too psyched about. I can, as a player, imagine one of those getting very boring unless the DM is phenomenal, which I am probably not.

As for the starting: I don't want to start in a Tavern, as my first DM complained about the cliche of doing this and then started us in a Tavern, and I don't want to do the same thing. I was thinking that I could start with a massive party for a prominent member of society and go from there, but I'm not sure how to do that. I was thinking something along the lines of "There are strange noises coming from the local Church-house. The Head Priest has asked that you to investigate and has offered to pay you." The things they would encounter in the dungeon would be determined by the Story line I choose.

Also, I don't really know how to limit the players, so could you help me decide? I have given all of them a tentative 'yes' on their current characters, but I'm not sure what they're all planning in the long run, so I don't know if they'll work well together. I don't want to ruin their fun though, so I almost want to let them do almost anything for their character within reason.

Here is the party so far:
Player A: loves to make optimized and generally overpowered characters, but due to some restrictions, he can't really build them. His original idea was a Binder, but from what I've heard I don't know how well it would work in my world. He then wanted to make a defensive Fighter who specializes in dual wielding spiked tower shields and pinning monsters smaller than himself against the wall. Next, he wanted to make an Elf Rogue who is in the 'old' age category, who had an incredible backstory. I have no idea if he's kept that idea for what he wants to do, or if he's changed his mind again.

Player B: Likes to try new things, and thus is a half-elf Bard. That's all I really know about his character. I think he's trying to come up with a backstory, but he's usually good at this, so I'm not rushing him.

Player C is a Chaotic Neutral Ranger who will be focusing on Two-weapon Fighting. He wants to be a member of one of the prominent families in society. He could easily turn my campaign on its side, regardless of what I do. I've seen him do it to another DM. That DM was not happy whatsoever.:smallbiggrin: I just hope that when he inevitably does that to me, I can take it and roll with it and not freak out and railroad everyone...

Player D is True Neutral Rogue, and wants to become a member of the Assassin Prestige Class. He originally wanted to be Chaotic Evil, but I told him that that probably wouldn't be a good idea. I've told him that I want to think about the prestige class thing, because I don't know if there's going to be any assassins to begin with.

And then there's Player E. He has no idea what he wants to be, but he generally tries to be a party-beneficial class, so I'm guessing he'll be a Cleric or Druid. He wants to know what everyone else has planned before making a decision, though.

This seems like a pretty balanced group to me. What do you guys think?

I'm not planning on having it get any bigger, as I've played with bigger groups and the sessions almost always went straight down the drain. I'm letting them decide if their characters know each other. From what I've heard from each of them, they don't really want to, which could lead to some interesting role-playing. They all enjoy a more hack-and-slash style campaign, but a few have requested more role-playing opportunities than former DMs have provided.

I thought in the beginning it might be simpler if I restricted them to PHB Races and Classes, and to PHB/DMG Items and Feats. Which brings me to my next question:
Was this a bad idea?
I've been reading some other threads trying to pick up some tips, and I've noticed that people seem to prefer to be restricted to NOT be allowed to be PHB standard classes/races rather than to be restricted to them. My main reasons were that I didn't want any confusing nonsense and that I don't have any of the supplementary source books. But if it would make the game more fun, I'd consider letting them do other stuff. Not Truenamer, though. I have no idea how they are supposed to work. Someone tried explaining it to me and I am completely confused. Please don't try to explain it to me, though I am completely fine with being in the dark for now. I would also prefer no Artificers, I'm playing in a campaign with one right now, and it's a little crazy.

Another question I have:
Player C has brought up that he thinks two new skills would be interesting. Tinker and Engineering (both Int based) Tinker would be improving upon an item, while Engineering would be figuring out how it works. If I do the 'Spanish Conquest' one, this could be very useful for figuring out the other side's technology. Is this a good idea? I can see using an Intelligence check instead of making a new skill, or a Disable Device check, or something along those lines being simpler.

That's all for now.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-03-10, 08:13 PM
Also, I don't really know how to limit the players, so could you help me decide?

Player A: loves to make optimized and generally overpowered characters, but due to some restrictions, he can't really build them. His original idea was a Binder, but from what I've heard I don't know how well it would work in my world. He then wanted to make a defensive Fighter who specializes in dual wielding spiked tower shields and pinning monsters smaller than himself against the wall. Next, he wanted to make an Elf Rogue who is in the 'old' age category, who had an incredible backstory. I have no idea if he's kept that idea for what he wants to do, or if he's changed his mind again.

Vanilla Binder (minus the online vestiges) is a pretty solid Tier 3, if I recall correctly. Their fluff is fairly easy to fit into most worlds, too.

Another question I have:
Player C has brought up that he thinks two new skills would be interesting. Tinker and Engineering (both Int based) Tinker would be improving upon an item, while Engineering would be figuring out how it works.

Knowledge skills are your friend. Knowledge (Engineering) could probably cover both of those skills there, maybe with a Craft skill tossed on for the improvement aspect there.

As for the racial structure, what if humans were at the 'top', but the gnomes were the true leaders, while the humans were their puppets (sort of like Eberron)? that way, you get your gnomes on top, and no adventurer has to look up to a gnome as the supreme authority.

mucco
2012-03-10, 08:36 PM
/paranoid mode on

First: by the looks of it, you seem like the type what wants to be very prepared for their players. A first advice is, judging by your players you will have a hard time being prepared for them. :smallbiggrin: Be ready to adapt, help yourself by making the stories coherent so you do't screw up and if they do screw up, well they did. Be ready to impose yourself if/when players try to bend rules or try to do stuff they shouldn't be able to - but if their characters, not their players, do anything in their power, then let them have their way.

Buy a set of dice - one of each type will suffice. It makes immersion that much better, when you're rolling your d20 against the party caster making a loud sound. It's the sound that scares people.

On to a small breakdown on your players and their potential issues. Disclaimer: it's obviously just speculation, I don't mean anything against them. A seems like the guy who bends rules, or thinkes he deserves something "just because it's in my background". Be ready to be firm with this one. B sounds like he won't be any trouble at all, but an unoptimized Bard will be quite inefficient in combat. C screams to me "hidden CE", hell, it even has Belkar's build. Random CE is fine in my group, but only as long as everyone is ok with it. Otherwise, watch out. D is going to have the same issue. E might happen to choose a happy good healing cleric which will then have to ignore the possible evil acts of C and D.

Yes, I'm paranoid. That groups sounds like a (very potential) recipe for disaster, with op-fu vs. half-elf bard on one side, and CE team vs. goody two shoes on the other. It might work out perfectly, it might not. I hope it doesn't!

/paranoid mode off

About the source books: it depends on how you know the books, and which books they are. Also on how keen you are on studying new systems. Pact Magic (the Binder) is quite complicated, and IMO it's very fair to say 'no' because it's complicated. Classes that don't introduce mechanics new to you, such as Beguiler as an example, should be ok for you to allow. If you're unsure, always allow on a case by case basis. Try to not bite more chan you can chew, and try not to restrict your players too much. PHB+DMG is famous for being not balanced, but at your skill level that should not be an issue at all. If you want to stay on the safe side, PHB only is perfectly fine, however.

Flickerdart
2012-03-10, 08:36 PM
What's the point of a spiked tower shield? They can't be used to make bashing attacks.

Talkan
2012-03-10, 08:56 PM
Once again, I am reminded why I love the Playground! Thanks for the fast responses!

Vanilla Binder (minus the online vestiges) is a pretty solid Tier 3, if I recall correctly. Their fluff is fairly easy to fit into most worlds, too.

Truthfully, I don't think I quite understand how Binders work. I know that they make pacts with these powerful beings that exist (but also don't exist? I'm not sure) and grant them shared access to the souls and body of the binder in return for really cool powers, but apart from that I don't understand them. It's also very possible that I'm completely wrong about them and that I need to be enlightened about my incorrect thinking.

Knowledge skills are your friend. Knowledge (Engineering) could probably cover both of those skills there, maybe with a Craft skill tossed on for the improvement aspect there.
This is exactly what I needed. I don't think he'll like it, since Knowledge (Engineering) is a cross-class skill for Rangers, but he can deal with it :smallamused:

As for the racial structure, what if humans were at the 'top', but the gnomes were the true leaders, while the humans were their puppets (sort of like Eberron)? that way, you get your gnomes on top, and no adventurer has to look up to a gnome as the supreme authority.

I did say that that was just an example, but I like your thinking! I really like this. It adds a deceptive twist on the politics that I wouldn't have thought to throw in there. Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

Buy a set of dice - one of each type will suffice. It makes immersion that much better, when you're rolling your d20 against the party caster making a loud sound. It's the sound that scares people.
I have two sets of dice already, but one DM I know went out and bought an entire pound the night before our first session. I like the idea of scaring the PCs... :smallbiggrin:

On to a small breakdown on your players and their potential issues. Disclaimer: it's obviously just speculation, I don't mean anything against them. A seems like the guy who bends rules, or thinkes he deserves something "just because it's in my background". Be ready to be firm with this one. B sounds like he won't be any trouble at all, but an unoptimized Bard will be quite inefficient in combat. C screams to me "hidden CE", hell, it even has Belkar's build. Random CE is fine in my group, but only as long as everyone is ok with it. Otherwise, watch out. D is going to have the same issue. E might happen to choose a happy good healing cleric which will then have to ignore the possible evil acts of C and D.

Yes, I'm paranoid. That groups sounds like a (very potential) recipe for disaster, with op-fu vs. half-elf bard on one side, and CE team vs. goody two shoes on the other. It might work out perfectly, it might not. I hope it doesn't!

Ok, I guess know nothing about party balance. :smallsigh: Glad that's out of the way. But now that I've read what you have to say, I see it too. Especially about the CE stuff... Crap.. What should I do if they start deciding to kill each other? Or should I say that there's no PVP for now?

On the flip side, last time Player E played a Cleric, he had decided that he was the type who had vowed to not harm living things unless they threatened himself or an innocent, good creature. (just curious, can you have an innocent evil creature?) I'm not sure how he did this, if it's a feat or something, but in that campaign his character saved my DN from the party Barbarian (who didn't see eye-to-eye with my DN)

Pact Magic (the Binder) is quite complicated, and IMO it's very fair to say 'no' because it's complicated. Classes that don't introduce mechanics new to you, such as Beguiler as an example, should be ok for you to allow. If you're unsure, always allow on a case by case basis. Try to not bite more chan you can chew, and try not to restrict your players too much. PHB+DMG is famous for being not balanced, but at your skill level that should not be an issue at all. If you want to stay on the safe side, PHB only is perfectly fine, however.
Ok, I think I'll stick with the PHB+DMG combo. Do you think throwing in Unearthed Arcana would be safe? I've read through it a couple of times (a friend of mine owns a copy) and I like some of the options in there.

What's the point of a spiked tower shield? They can't be used to make bashing attacks.
I'm actually not quite sure. I think it's for 100% cover (I'm not sure if that really works though). I wasn't aware that they couldn't be used for bashing attacks.
A seems like the guy who bends rules I think you are completely right... I will look out for this..

Agent 451
2012-03-10, 09:27 PM

Badassery?

Alienist
2012-03-10, 09:41 PM
Why stick to just one thing?

If you have players who want to tip campaigns over on their side then you shouldn't get too attached to any one thing.

I would go with various factions. E.g. some of the druids want to burn down civilization and start over, but not all.

The thing of the mesoamerican invasion was that the size of the invasion force was tiny compared to the kingdoms they were invading. But I think your church response is stupid. I know its a cliche in movies and stuff, but religious people dont automatically do the stupidest thing possible in all situations. I think a more realistic reaction would be for a faction of the church to try to cooperate with and appease the invaders, and a different faction wants to be the resistance (think 1940s france).

So you've got a secret society of necromancers, the demon summoners and the church. Why not have a three-way hate fest? Then the players can pick whichever side they want. Maybe the necromancers are the smallest, weakest faction, but their undead troops are immune to the mind affecting attacks of the demonologists? Or maybe if the players ignore the dwarves and their mind flayer/aberration problem, then eventually the dwarves will ally with the necromancers.... which is tricky for everyone else because people give their dead to the dwarves to put to rest in underground crypts....

As for the breeding program of the goblins, I think that is too slow for a campaign. It has to have already happened. So this is where the bugbears, owlbears, hippogriffs, griffons etc are already in existence. But then what or who is behind all the magical crossbreeding experiments? An artifact? An insane wizard? An insane goblin wizard? So the found a colony in the wilderness druids come along expecting to engage in a bit of goblin-genocide, but run into a meat grinder of epic proportions. So maybe eventually (assuming no pc interactions) they give up on that, and decide that maybe it would just be easier to take over one of the smaller islands and wipe out the orcs instead, so they go looking for a party willing to do this dirty work for them.

Maybe the foreign invaders are githyanki and githzerai, and they know there is an aberration outbreak somewhere, but not where. So initially they are all friendly, trying to find out the nice way, but when no one will tell them they get pissed off and just go from town to town stomping them looking for the aberrations nest. But of course although the two gith races will cooperate to kill aberrations, there isn't any love lost between them at all.

Meanwhile the church is too busy handling the waves of refugees to really do its job properly and put out all the little fires.

You could easily get a dozen factions out of that, and with that many factions, someone is going to get desperate.... and you could easily have a lot of work for an Assassin type character or group.

There are a bunch of ways of starting a campaign like this.... a bunch of people on a boat that is attacked by Orc Pirates for instance.

Incidentally, everyone seems to blame the orcs for the half orcs, whereas it is humans who more likely will shag anything on two or four legs. I'd blame the humans for the half-orc problem, but that of course means although they grow up among orcs, nobody wants them. The more 'polite' members of human society don't want such a visual reminder of the crimes of their people, and the orcs don't want them either. Consider this... elves humans and orcs can all interbreed. And there are half elves and half orcs, but no elf/orcs... I think the origin of the problem is pretty clear in light of that!! Or maybe in your world there are elf/orc hybrids, and what would that look like, what would that mean? (maybe this is the true origin of tieflings for instance...)

To handle something of this scope, simply come up with a timeline that assumes the players do nothing, and then think about the news items that would be generated. You know all the behind the scenes stuff, but there is no reason the players should know this. Then you can generate small jobs or missions, or rumours, but the players always have choice. If they love kicking over the DMs carefully craftd sandcastles, then build lots of sandcastles, but don't become emotionally attached to a faction or an outcome. The other thing is to not invest much effort into any of the sandcastles, you can fill in details once they start kicking it.
Then think about it in terms of a game of Risk or something like that. That way if the players plough into one group, you know who is going to step into the power vacuum that is created.

Alienist
2012-03-10, 09:51 PM
With resect to this group and PvP if you ban it they will just want it more.

If they want to be evil, then don't throw "save teh kittens" type quests at them. Remember if there is a conflict that one group is attacking a town or civilians, then there are TWO sides to the conflict, not just one. Maybe both sides make them an offer to help them against the other guys. Now they have genuine choice.

Try to give them objectives, but not tell them how to do it. E.g. there is a powerful magic item/artifact in this town, we want it, go get it for us. Of course, maybe the players decide to keep it for themselves, and now they have THREE problems (two sides after them, and the third is how do they figure out how to get the artifact to work?)

I think a lot of the time players end up wanting to be evil because only the evil guys get to make genuine choices. A good character isn't 'allowed' to not save the kitten, whereas the evil character can just say "bog off, I'm busy"

mucco
2012-03-10, 10:06 PM
(just curious, can you have an innocent evil creature?)

MitD, probably.

Unearthed Arcana is a mix. There's nice stuff, there's strong stuff, there's broken stuff. Allow it on a per-case basis, using your best judgment and of course the playground if you like. :smallsmile:

About PvP: I find that in my group, the best approach has been a direct talk before the game, honestly saying that PvP is bad for the game and makes things harder on everyone so please metagame and don't. If they still want to slug it out, let them do it and then they die and roll other chars.

BTW, I like your campaign ideas. Try to keep the players in the spotlight. This is easier said than done, and it's easier when the party is not evil. Evil parties are also the most prone to surprises: "The lord gives you the noble quest to kill a dragon, and will reward you with this amulet." "I sneak attack the lord, steal the amulet, cast Invisibility, and run." Countless examples.

Acanous
2012-03-10, 10:10 PM
Restricting to non-core can be a lot of fun. Most of the really broken PrC combos and such require at least something from Core (Like "Wizard").
So you get a very interesting game with tons of options, but no real dealbreakers.

There can be Innocent Evil creatures. Think of a Defense Attourney who defends criminals whom he knows are guilty, but they pay him a lot of money.

This guy is the steriotype Lawful Evil. He's helping bad people get away with murder, but doing it legally.

Technically speaking, he's innocent. He didn't help the murder take place, and he's working within civil rights. He doesn't kick puppies, steal from the needy, or torture. He may not even own a gun.
If your paladin walked up and killed this guy, he'd fall.

I like your premise, and it's good you have a lot of plots pre-thought out. The player party is a mercurial thing, switching directions and dropping quests like night changes to day.
If you can give them something to do no matter where they go or what they try, you've done your job as a well-prepared DM. Usually after some experimentation and boundry-pushing, the party will settle down and go with the flow (Of treasure).

Be aware that Half-Elf Bard is actually the starting point of early-Diplomancy shennanigans.
(Half elf +2, High CHA +4, +7 ranks, +2 from Knowledge: Nobility, +2 from Bluff, Skill Focus brings it to 20. That's low-op and core-only.)
I remember having a Half-elf Bard/Marshal build that got Diplomacy in the mid 30's by lv 5.
Now, I don't THINK the bard is trying to pull one over on you, but it's not hard to accidentally get Diplomacy pretty high. If he chooses to focus on it, it'll get a lot higher. Nonintelligent Undead, Constructs, Oozes, and plants are immune. Everything else is not.

Suddo
2012-03-11, 01:17 AM
I'm a new DM but love optimizing and think I have a decent idea for what is OP and what isn't.

HOW ARE YOU DEFINING DIVINES. This is a big one for me, personally. I hate playing a Cleric because if I play a good Cleric and do something evil (even a little) technically a god can take away all my power, depending how you define it, though usually a cleric's code of conduct isn't as strict as a paladin's it could easily be ruled to be.
Binders are interesting not that powerful, from what I can tell, but complicated. If over the course of the next few months you feel like looking over the book then feel free to allow it. Banning something because its complicated is a fine reason.
I'd try and use something similar to this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1002.0). Its kind of a basic meter for the ability to break the campaign with a class. I personally tell all my players to only play in Tier 3, I feel it creates an interesting group. The tier list isn't complete you can fit more in. And don't make it an absolute just don't let the high power player play a Wizard and the low power player play a monk.
Other things you can look into as far as allowing things are: Psionics and Tome of Battle. Both are quite interesting in their own way.

On a note about Player vs Player:
As long as no one is directly evil I think conflicting alignments are fine, the Paladin and Dread Necromancer being in the same party thread being a bad example though a Evil-ish Rogue and a Good Cleric isn't that bad of an idea. The try and help make sure everyone in the party contributes, if the player playing a low powered bard picks his skills well you can throw interesting stuff at him, plus Bardic Knowledge. The high powered player should be able to figure out how to fit in the group just fine.

Oh and don't think that you guys need a healer that a fallacy.

Hopefully my advise helped. And remember have fun and don't limit your players.

Edit: A note on Diplomacy. Don't run it by the rules, just kind of allow it to be used in non-combat encounters or against people who maybe just trying to defend themselves.