PDA

View Full Version : What Sort of Races

alchemyprime
2012-03-10, 10:36 PM
For a darker, more horrific world, what sort of races would you expect to see?

Maybe it's just me, but I have a feeling that some creepier races would be the elans (XPH/PsiUn), some race based on the ettercaps (Etterkin?), a dhampir, and maybe shadar-kai.

Are there any that other folks can think of? Or any ideas?

hivedragon
2012-03-10, 10:54 PM
Just about anything can work with a little effort.
For example; make all elves like Prince Nuada.

Edit: From Farscape:
Tavleks are addicted to a drug that increases theirs stats and aggression.
Nabari are about as distopian as they come.

Belril Duskwalk
2012-03-10, 11:01 PM
Alu-fiends , Cambions, Tieflings (for all your devil-mortal crossbreeding needs).

Particle_Man
2012-03-10, 11:41 PM
You could add the Gith races from *before* they overthrew their Mind Flayer masters.

Maybe Heroes of Horror has some ideas on how to "horrify" some standard races?

And of course, Drow, Duegar and all the lovely underdark races. :)

The cannibal halflings from Dark Sun could work too.

Lycanthropes. Werewolves are classic horror.

Maybe warforged could be reskinned as "Frankensteins" creations gone wild?

I think there are ways to play "monsters as characters" so mummies, perhaps?

Ghosts, naturally.

Campbellk8105
2012-03-10, 11:45 PM
Well standard 3.5 players handbook has a monstrocity in it. I'm sure you've seen Mialee :smallamused:

eggs
2012-03-11, 12:30 AM
Kender as far as the eye can see.

Pokonic
2012-03-11, 12:39 AM
Tiny childeren-like humanoids that have the ability to make minor magic at will,often leading "rescuers" to there doom. Always pale, with big,dark eyes regardless of gender. Gnomes

Strange, twig-like humanoid seemingly made out of wood.Featureless, with no actual facial feactures (or seemingly a face, for that matter), there bodies have small branchlike growths jutting out at random places, with a leafless crown of such topping the "head". It's two actual limbs are long and gnarled, with no rhyme or reason for the exact shape or number of fingers on it. Cutting it shows that,dispite its woody apperance, it bleeds when cut and has a pulpy red flesh instead of plant matter as it's make up. Tends to kidnap forest travelers to there domains, feeding them food that eventualy causes trees to grow from inside them. Elvenkind