PDA

View Full Version : [Mass Effect] What are you using to play?

Kiero
2012-03-11, 07:15 AM
There's a lot of interest in the Mass Effect universe right now, what with the series concluding and thus a fair number of people playing the games. Green Ronin (who are working with BioWare on the Dragon Age PnP games) have already ruled out a Mass Effect PnP game, meaning anyone wanting to do it will have to covert or homebrew.

Not that such a "constraint" has ever stopped anyone before!

My group is about to start a game we jokingly title Mass: the Effecting, ie using an nWoD hack (http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/Mass:_the_Effecting). It's probably going to be set starting at the end of ME1 (thus giving us over two years of in-game time before having to address the climax of ME3, which none of us liked), and so far the group is shaping up thus:

A turian Vanguard
A krogan Sentinel
A human Soldier
A human Adept
A quarian Engineer/Infiltrator

I don't even normally like sci-fi games (Star Wars and 40k don't really count as far as I'm concerned, they're more like exceptions to my general dislike of the genre), yet I'm really looking forward to this game.

How about you? Is your group playing, or planning to play a Mass Effect game? What system are you using? What setting premise have you gone with?

KillianHawkeye
2012-03-11, 07:38 AM
I always thought Star Wars Saga Edition would make a good system for it, but I've never tried it.

gkathellar
2012-03-11, 07:59 AM
Someone put together a Fantasy Craft hack (http://www.4shared.com/office/zcN-Nj4j/mass_craft.html) for Mass Effect, actually.

DigoDragon
2012-03-12, 07:30 AM
A friend and I are casually making a conversion of Shadowrun 4e for the Mass Effect universe. Though first we have to convince the rest of the group to want to play it.

Yora
2012-03-12, 07:47 AM
Yeah, Star Wars Saga. You have to make up a few new Biotic Powers, but many of the Force Powers can be called Biotics without really changing anything.
Tech Powers would require a bit of creative work, but everything else is pretty much ready to go.

Jerthanis
2012-03-12, 02:39 PM
I've been working on a pretty deep-cutting SWSE hack that has wound up just being barely even D20 anymore.

Basically, instead of the three static defenses of Fortitude, Reflex, and Will, there's Mass, Profile and Hardening.

Mass is a numerical reflection of your character's mass in Kg including armor (eg 50 kg might represent a Mass rating of 15 on the familiar scale of d20+bonus vs static DC, meaning it's DC 15 to affect a 60kg target with a biotic power or whatever) the idea being that Mass determines the amount of force your biotic powers need to be exerting to take hold on an individual or object.

Profile is how much area you take up. This is of course measured in an inversely proportional way, so larger targets have a smaller numerical rating. Various stances and feats such as crouching, pronation, standing with pistol out in one hand and body in line with the target or taking advantage of cover and range are necessary for avoiding enemy fire.

Hardening is how resistant your suit and weaponry are to the effects of Tech powers such as Overload. This is determined by the relative technical expertise of your race, since generally each race designs the hardsuits which are... suited... to be worn by members of that race.

Powers and abilities would be copied as closely from the source material as possible, with Biotic Powers having the effects of the actual value in Newtons as you might have had in the games.

Once I realized that this system didn't really benefit from a levelling system, since most of these defenses had no reason to change over time, and that I wouldn't even be coopting the Force abilities from Saga that is the primary draw I think for using this base as a hack, so I've been thinking of just making it homebrew through and through.

Although most of this is just idle speculation... of my friends, only one other has played Mass Effect, and he could take or leave it as a setting. I can't get anyone else to play the games despite my wild protestations of it being my favorite Sci-Fi setting ever and how much I want to run a Mass Effect story.

Mr.Moron
2012-03-12, 03:00 PM
I've been running one on my own home brew system. It's only been a few sessions but the core engine feels very good, and the players are enjoying it.

The system still has holes big enough to drive the Mako through it, including a total lack of vehicle rules. Luckily my group is flexible enough that I can plug the holes as we go without making the game feel weird.

Nepenthe
2012-03-12, 03:57 PM
I think the structure of Mouse Guard would work really well for Mass Effect. No idea how to fit in tech and biotics though.

BarroomBard
2012-03-12, 08:19 PM
@Jerthanis: what is the purpose of Profile?

Tavar
2012-03-12, 09:37 PM
Hero system would work wonders for this. Biotic powers are all easily made, same with weapons and armor. Hell, even making ships doesn't seem like too much of a problem.

Jerthanis
2012-03-14, 11:47 PM
@Jerthanis: what is the purpose of Profile?

It's how hard it is to hit you with a gun.

LibraryOgre
2012-03-15, 05:15 PM
D6 Space. I should practically add it to my sig, really...

Natael
2012-03-15, 08:42 PM
Hero system would work wonders for this. Biotic powers are all easily made, same with weapons and armor. Hell, even making ships doesn't seem like too much of a problem.

Either that or GURPS (which probably has all of the tech though out in the Ultratech book well enough). I don't see any sense trying to convert a d20 system game into something like Mass Effect when you have perfectly usable systems as it is.

Milo v3
2012-03-17, 07:32 AM
I was actually planing on running a Mass Effect game using The Window (http://www.mimgames.com/window/rules/)as the system.

It works with everything I've made so far so it should work with Mass Effect without problem.

Gamgee
2012-03-17, 09:30 AM
I heard there was a conversion for Star Wars Saga system but my group never got to try it out.

SaintBalor
2012-03-19, 03:57 PM
I'd be using Dungeons and Dragons 4th Ed. It's the most adaptable system I've played :/ It's made so you can customize and easily create new classes, new powers, items, etc. Me and some friends have already used it to play Zelda and Castlevania.

That said, It's not my favorite system, so I don't use it often. But there's no arguing it's versatility.

World of Darkness is also pretty versatile. You can adapt an all human campaign to Mass Effect. Create a Biotics system similar to Quintessence or Blood points. I wouldn't use Willpower because it's too hard to recharge and it would take the fun out of the game. After all, in Mass Effect, you can use Biotics every couple of seconds.

You could also use Shadowrun and add a little bit of Star Wars d6 (Not the d20 WotC version) to make it a full space experience.
Just a few Ideas :)

Erik Vale
2012-03-20, 06:42 PM
Either that or GURPS (which probably has all of the tech though out in the Ultratech book well enough). I don't see any sense trying to convert a d20 system game into something like Mass Effect when you have perfectly usable systems as it is.

I think Heroes would work splendidly. Does anyone know if someone has a set of houserules lain out/ground work for playing mass effect with heroes.

I was actually planing on running a Mass Effect game using The Window (http://www.mimgames.com/window/rules/)as the system.

It works with everything I've made so far so it should work with Mass Effect without problem.

Taken a quick look at The Window. It would work well with responsible roleplayers....
The Trouble is finding such roleplayers...

Milo v3
2012-03-20, 07:38 PM
Taken a quick look at The Window. It would work well with responsible roleplayers....
The Trouble is finding such roleplayers...

I've never played a game of The Window where the players weren't being serious and balanced.
Which is strange as when I DM games of 3.5e ... You can guess who sensible they are. :smalltongue:

KnightDisciple
2012-03-20, 10:04 PM
Mutants and Masterminds is a very good fit, I think.
Straight Powers are your Biotics, possibly some Tech powers. Also, any cybernetics or natural abilities (Krogan regeneration, Turian resistance to radiation, Geth abilities, etc).
Devices for armor, weapons, omnitools, and most/all Tech powers.

I'll try to remember, but the PbP site I'm a member of, one of the members built a "Biotic Commando" that's basically an Adept; I'll try to make sure I link it in here.

EDIT:
Here it is (http://www.freedomplaybypost.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6135&start=50#p141911).

And it's actually an Adept/Vanguard, with a Charge thrown in!

Tavar
2012-03-21, 12:40 AM
I think Heroes would work splendidly. Does anyone know if someone has a set of houserules lain out/ground work for playing mass effect with heroes.

I've been thinking of writing out some ground rules. No set as far as I know, though.

Erik Vale
2012-03-21, 04:39 PM
I've been thinking of writing out some ground rules. No set as far as I know, though.

So was I, just wanted to know before I go over any ground already gone over...

Gives me something to do on the weekends where I don't have work.

Looked only. Looks like others are doing groundwork, but all those sites are blocked at work. And my home internets down :(.

Kiero
2012-03-21, 06:57 PM
World of Darkness is also pretty versatile. You can adapt an all human campaign to Mass Effect. Create a Biotics system similar to Quintessence or Blood points. I wouldn't use Willpower because it's too hard to recharge and it would take the fun out of the game. After all, in Mass Effect, you can use Biotics every couple of seconds.

Or alternatively, have a look at what we've already done for nWoD (http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/Mass:_the_Effecting).

wayfare
2012-03-21, 08:21 PM
I am writing up a 4th edition conversion, and it seems pretty solid. Here are the basics:

1) Get rid of at-will and daily powers, all powers are Encounter powers.

2) Powers are not leveled - you can gain any power when you level-up

3) To simulate cooldown bonuseses, you can choose the same power multiple times. This unlocks an addional per-encounter use of the power, and adds an "evolution effect" you can add to the power. For example:

Throw
Standard Action - Biotic Attack
Target: Single
Range: 20 squares
Attack: Wisdom v. Fortitude
Hit: 2d8 + Wisdom damage, and the opponent is pushed 2 squares.
Critical: On a critical hit, the opponent is knocked prone as well.

Throw Evolution Options

Throw Field
Effect: Throw now targets Burst 1.

Heavy Throw
Effect: Throw now inflicts 2d10 + Wisdom damage.

Precise Throw
Effect: You gain a +2 bonus to your attack roll, and throw now shifts opponents instead of pushing them.

You can gain multiple evolutions of a power by taking that power multiple times, but you may only apply one evolution effect to the power at a time.

4) Characters only gain health up to level 10. Beyond that point, characters still gain powers and feats, but not HP.

5) Barriers and Shields are per-encounter temporary hp, but can be restored with certain powers.

6) Calculate healing surge value, but there are no healing surges - all healing is through medi-gel or armor regen units.

Kiero
2012-03-22, 06:33 AM
6) Calculate healing surge value, but there are no healing surges - all healing is through medi-gel or armor regen units.

Armour regen is through use of medigel. But really what else is a healing surge but a shot of medigel?

Erom
2012-03-22, 08:11 AM
The FATE based game Diaspora (http://www.vsca.ca/Diaspora/) is perfect for Mass Effect games. Many of the games mechanics mimic Mass Effect right out of the box already (including the overheat/reload mechanic on weapons).

Kiero
2012-03-22, 09:26 AM
The FATE based game Diaspora (http://www.vsca.ca/Diaspora/) is perfect for Mass Effect games. Many of the games mechanics mimic Mass Effect right out of the box already (including the overheat/reload mechanic on weapons).

Someone did a fairly extensive Diaspora-Mass Effect hack (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?510374-Hacking-Diaspora-Mass-Effect).

wayfare
2012-03-22, 11:07 AM
Armour regen is through use of medigel. But really what else is a healing surge but a shot of medigel?

Agreed, but Mass Effect 1 seems to imply that armor with the regen modification can do this without the expenditure of a unit of medigel. Maybe it synthesizes medigel from your body and delivers it in precisely controlled doses to damage spots.

Fate is a great engine for any game, but a no-go for my group. I tried to sell them on the Dresden Files RPG and they wanted something "crunchier" -- their way of saying more rules heavy.

Kiero
2012-03-22, 03:59 PM
Agreed, but Mass Effect 1 seems to imply that armor with the regen modification can do this without the expenditure of a unit of medigel. Maybe it synthesizes medigel from your body and delivers it in precisely controlled doses to damage spots.

Fate is a great engine for any game, but a no-go for my group. I tried to sell them on the Dresden Files RPG and they wanted something "crunchier" -- their way of saying more rules heavy.

We've just come off a DFRPG game and moved to nWoD-Mass Effect. To quote our GM:

Why the nWoD system? Simple enough – the writer's relative familiarity with the system, combined with its 'medium' level of rules mechanic depth and complexity.

wayfare
2012-03-22, 08:21 PM
We've just come off a DFRPG game and moved to nWoD-Mass Effect. To quote our GM:

nWoD Mass Effect is another project I've been working on! Could you tell me how you handle powers? I've got most of the Adept, Soldier, and Engineer written out, but Mass Effect 4e had such traction with my group that we went with that!

horngeek
2012-03-23, 12:26 AM
Someone did a fairly extensive Diaspora-Mass Effect hack (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?510374-Hacking-Diaspora-Mass-Effect).

...if someone would run this on the forums, I would give them cookies.

And play, of course. :smallsmile:

Kiero
2012-03-23, 07:07 AM
nWoD Mass Effect is another project I've been working on! Could you tell me how you handle powers? I've got most of the Adept, Soldier, and Engineer written out, but Mass Effect 4e had such traction with my group that we went with that!

Everyone chooses one of the six templates (Adept, Engineer, Infiltrator, Sentinel, Soldier or Vanguard) which gives them a passive power, active power (see here (http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/Mass:_the_Effecting/You_Were_Born_For_This)) and 6 points to spend on talents (see here (http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/Mass:_the_Effecting/Hard-Won_Experience)for talents).

KnightDisciple
2012-03-23, 12:53 PM
Mostly because the guy who cooked up the build is an awesome dude, I feel I have to plug how easily you can use Mutants and Masterminds to model Mass Effect (http://www.freedomplaybypost.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6135&start=50#p141911).
And yeah, the rules do have ways to apply "templates" for different races.

Macrovore
2012-03-25, 05:09 AM
I do love M&M. But since it's a hard Sci-Fi setting, I need to mention Traveller.

Kiero
2012-03-25, 12:39 PM
I do love M&M. But since it's a hard Sci-Fi setting, I need to mention Traveller.

While ME is certainly harder than Star Wars, I'd hardly call it hard sci-fi.

LibraryOgre
2012-03-25, 01:19 PM
While ME is certainly harder than Star Wars, I'd hardly call it hard sci-fi.

It is something of a medium sci-fi, to coin a phrase. Most of Mass Effect is perfectly plausible by our current understanding (asari reproduction bears some similarity to plant and bacterial sexual reproduction, for example), but it has a Thing, and usually that Thing is singular, even if it's wide-ranging. In Medium sci-fi, everything aside from the Thing is usually semi-plausible, even if a nth degree extension of what we can do.

For ME, it's Thing is element zero. Pretty much all the "weird science" in ME boils down to element zero and the resultant mass effect fields. Gravity on non-rotating ships? ME fields. Faster-than-light travel? ME fields. Heck, even biotics come down to ME fields.

Compare that to Star Trek, that not only has a variety of psychics and weird science types, but also has to two heavily-used tropes of transporters (and their related technology, replicators) and warp drive. Star Wars has hyperdrive and the Force.

Malfunctioned
2012-03-25, 03:41 PM
As been mentioned before, Traveller. Without a doubt Traveller.

Just use the core and Psionics book and you're basically set. One of the optional rules allow you to give more Psi Points dependent on the type of campaign which would help model the use of Biotics better. Tech powers are easy to do with hacking and even all the races can be modelled stupidly easily.

ReaganStorme
2012-04-02, 02:08 AM
...if someone would run this on the forums, I would give them cookies.

And play, of course. :smallsmile:

Glad you liked the hack.

Currently running through ME3 at the moment, after which i'll see about updating the pdfs for new gear and powers and such.

Well, if there's much call for it, that is.

ReaganStorme
2012-07-03, 12:20 PM
Just bumping this thread to let you know that I've updated the Mass Effect hack to version 2.0.2, a full colour expansion with new content that takes it out to 96 pages.

I've kept the download link the same, so you can get it by clicking on the link in my sig.

Hope you enjoy it!

Kiero
2012-07-04, 12:12 PM
You can listen to the podcasts of our sessions (seven and counting) on our site (http://insanitywetrust.wordpress.com/).