PDA

View Full Version : ToB internal multiclassing?

Thuran
2012-03-11, 08:02 AM
This has probably been asked before, but the search engines keep faiing to obey my commands! :smallmad:

Anyway, I decided to splash into ToB fairly late in the levelling curve, and got a few questions in that regard:

- Are maneuvers learned by your class or your character?

- More specifically, if I picked two classes with a shared discipline, would the maneuvers from one class be usable as prerequisites for learning maneuvers from the other one?

- Are the maneuvers known by you or your class? Aka, if I know maneuvers usually avialable to any of my ToB classes, can i prepare those maneuvers as any of the classes in question?

- Example, both swordsage and Warblade have access to the diamond tree so if i learn moment of perfect mind and emerald razor as swordsage, can I buy ruby nightmare blade as warblade, and in this example, can I select to ready moment of perfect mind as one of my warblade maneuvers and ready ruby nightmare blade as a swordsage maneuver, and since this is a campaign where all monsters are immune to all non-touch attacks, can I elect to ready emerald razor as swordsage AND as warblade simultaneusly as in doing so I am not readying a maneuver twice for the individual class?

Lucid
2012-03-11, 08:14 AM
If you pick a maneuver as a Swordsage you can only ready it as a Swordsage. However, it does count as a prerequisite for determining which maneuvers you could pick as a warblade.

Hope that answers your questions.

Edit: You can only learn and ready any individual maneuver once, no matter what class you get it from.

Particle_Man
2012-03-11, 11:20 AM
And better optimizers than myself can use the multiclassing with swordsage, warblade and crusader to make sure that the crusader maneuvers are all "regranted" every single round. It has to do with the warblade taking up the white raven maneuvers and the swordsage taking up the stone dragon maneuvers so that the crusader gets only a few maneuvers left to take, so that they are all granted, so that they are all refreshed. Not sure how it meshes with prestige classes though.

I imagine that timing is everything with this sort of multi-classing. Especially since the first level of each class gives you mutliple manuevers, *and* the other levels of the other classes count at half-value for your initiator level of the class you are getting maneuvers for, giving you access to slightly higher level stuff.

Also, you basically need to multiclass to get all of Master of Nine before epic levels, I think.

Chronos
2012-03-11, 03:01 PM
Also, you basically need to multiclass to get all of Master of Nine before epic levels, I think.No, you can do it with Swordsage, or with either of the other two if you're willing to drop a few feats on Martial Study. The real obstacle to Master of Nine isn't the maneuvers, it's all the prerequisite feats you need.

FMArthur
2012-03-11, 04:28 PM
People often overlook ToB's New Wondrous Items section completely for some reason. Getting additional maneuvers is actually incredibly easy. Martial Study is almost strictly a last resort option.

Chronos
2012-03-11, 06:24 PM
I think that's just because most people consider it cheesy at best to use items to qualify for a prestige class.

FMArthur
2012-03-11, 07:10 PM
Do they? I've never known anyone to be bothered by it. Most people must be unusually quiet people.

Particle_Man
2012-03-11, 07:26 PM
It would at least be risky. Lose the item and lose the prestige class benefits. Heck, technically a dispel magic on the wrong item could supress all of one's Master of Nine abilities for as long as the magic of the item was surpressed.

FMArthur
2012-03-11, 08:07 PM
You gain 2/1/2/1/2 maneuvers known from any disciplines when taking Master of Nine levels. Shortly after you've entered, the class will be able to sustain its own qualification with the items off.

Particle_Man
2012-03-11, 10:21 PM
I would not rule it that way as DM. If you bootstrap yourself like that into a prestige class it is way too easy to bootstrap yourself into other prestige classes, and I strongly doubt that is RAI. So my ruling would be the cruel one that if you lose the maneuvers to get into the class (without counting those that are gained in the class) then you lose the prestige class benefits.

But hey if you can get that by your DM, go for it.