PDA

View Full Version : Dwarven Cleric Lich (3.5e)

Harkle
2012-03-11, 10:47 AM
Hey all,

So I'm playing in an evil campaign that will probably get into epic levels eventually. I'm playing a Dwarf Cleric of Laduguer. And we may be hitting level 12 soon (assuming that we all survive).

I've asked the DM if I can become a Lich, and his response was literally laughing out loud and saying that he would work with me on it. We do have some homebrew stuff added in, but not a huge amount.

I've been reading on Lichs lately, and I've read that a cleric can become a lich, but I haven't found anyone post about actually playing one. and I'm wondering what some of you think about the possibility.

I know I need to take the Craft Wonderous Item feat, which is why I can't do anything until level 12. And I need to save up some money.

So here is my thought. Dwarves don't have a god of the Dead, I do not believe. So, I am attempting to possibily fill that role. But I wish to do this with Laduguer's blessing and assistance.. Much like he helped Deep Durra acsend into godhood.

One of the chief monsters our party is combatting in this campaign is the machinations of Orcus. purely by coicedence Laduguer and Orcus have a long standing hatred.. so it actually plays into the story some. I have no confermation though I believe that the campaign revolves around Orcus attempting to become a god again. And I see no reason that Laduguer would not be at least open to the idea of having an Ally acsend especially if it foils a rival.

Maybe, once - if I can become a lich, I can talk my DM into allowing me to raise my party members as free-will Vampires, Banshees, Mummys, and a Morhg, just for fun. Though I worry that Orcus' power over undead might make us his thralls and basically becoming a game ender.

Thank you for your Thoughts,
Harkle

Urpriest
2012-03-11, 10:58 AM
The issue with Liches is the +4 level adjustment, making you substantially weaker than equal-level party members. That said, it sounds like your DM is planning to use some sort of homebrew to counteract that.

gallagher
2012-03-11, 01:03 PM
The issue with Liches is the +4 level adjustment, making you substantially weaker than equal-level party members. That said, it sounds like your DM is planning to use some sort of homebrew to counteract that.

so what if his DM turns the LA into RHD and has a progression for all the Lich stuff?

Urpriest
2012-03-11, 01:20 PM
so what if his DM turns the LA into RHD and has a progression for all the Lich stuff?

He's a caster, so that would also be undesirable. It might be better to make it into a prestige class that advances casting or the like, or just change the stats so it doesn't need a level adjustment. Fixing monsters is a lot of work and depends heavily on personal preference.

teslas
2012-03-11, 01:31 PM
That's what I would suggest for this scenario, too. Turn the +4 LA into hit dice that progress casting and slowly grant the benefits of being a lich.

As a DM I'd probably rob you of a level of spellcasting abilities at your first racial hit die.

Apart from the making your own phylactery, becoming a lich is left ambiguous because players aren't normally meant to do it to themselves over the course of a standard game. It gives you a lot of leeway to make the process into whatever cool thingamajiggger you and the DM like.

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-03-11, 01:43 PM
If you have access to Sandstorm, why not go Walker in the Waste? It's not the most synergistic template to use with a Dwarf, but it does get you a lich-like template for free, discounting the ten levels of WitW, of course.