PDA

View Full Version : Name for a guild that buys/sells information

veven
2012-03-11, 12:01 PM
I have like...an hour left to prepare for a session and instead of spending 10 minutes thinking of a name I like for a guild of information brokers I thought I would simply come and ask the good folks at the playground. It's a vanilla-ish D&D campaign so nothing futuristic please.

Thanks for the help!

Belril Duskwalk
2012-03-11, 12:10 PM
Those In The Know
Those Who Know
If they're a little more on the boastful side you could go for something like
The All-Seeing Eye
The All-Seeing Ones
For a more magical take on it
The Diviners Guild
The Seers Guild
The [insert number here] Seers

dsmiles
2012-03-11, 12:12 PM
I believe "The Gleaners," from the Epic Level Handbook, already has this covered. Yours could be a franchise of The Gleaners.

Petey7
Isn't Vecna all about learning secrets? If you wanted the guild to be made up of mostly evil aligned people you could go with something like "Eye of Vecna". Otherwise I would call them "The Clandestines". Note that clandestine is an adjective meaning "marked by, held in or conducted in secrecy". It is not usually used as a noun, but it sounds cool, in my opinion.

EDIT: I would also like to second "Those in the Know".

Lea Plath
The Listener's Guild?

Dr.Epic
2012-03-11, 12:15 PM
Gossip Guild:smalltongue:

League of Hearsay

Fact Traders

EccentricCircle
2012-03-11, 12:15 PM
In my current campaign I have a guild of that sort called "the Cognoscenti" or Cogs for short.

veven
2012-03-11, 12:40 PM
Lots of great ideas here! I think the Gleaners are more about finding magic items and artifacts than the are information. I could be wrong though, it is a cool name though.

I really like the idea of them being associated with Vecna!

In my current campaign I have a guild of that sort called "the Cognoscenti" or Cogs for short.

This is awesome. Do you mind if I completely steal this idea?

Templarkommando
2012-03-11, 12:45 PM
The Illuminated Ones (A spin off of the Illuminati).
The Hidden Flame
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheOmniscientCouncilOfVagueness

JustPlayItLoud
2012-03-12, 01:23 AM
One of the old gaming articles on this very site (this particular one by Amber E. Scott) was a series of three articles about an organization called the Literati that was pretty much this, but an interesting slightly evil twist. Those articles aren't on the site anymore, but you can still find them using the Wayback Machine.

Dr.Epic
2012-03-12, 06:36 AM
The League of Lore

Divayth Fyr
2012-03-12, 06:57 AM
Those articles aren't on the site anymore, but you can still find them using the Wayback Machine.
Aren't they?
http://www.giantitp.com/articles/oGR4l4SCYyNnlEcm81l.html
http://www.giantitp.com/articles/jbe2RVkN4S7kRnMoy2U.html
http://www.giantitp.com/articles/HOO32fmmwPwtHNPTXS2.html

EccentricCircle
2012-03-12, 07:03 AM
Lots of great ideas here! I think the Gleaners are more about finding magic items and artifacts than the are information. I could be wrong though, it is a cool name though.

I really like the idea of them being associated with Vecna!

This is awesome. Do you mind if I completely steal this idea?

by all means.

Dr.Epic
2012-03-12, 07:04 AM
The Knowledge Klub

DigoDragon
2012-03-12, 07:06 AM
The Shadow Brokers? :smallbiggrin:

The Glyphstone
2012-03-12, 09:14 AM
The People Who Buy And Sell Information. It's a reverse psychology double-blind, no one will actually believe their name, so it's easy for them to collect information cheaply or for free.:smallbiggrin:

WyvernLord
2012-03-12, 11:11 AM
The whispered congress. Might be a little late though.

prufock
2012-03-12, 12:25 PM
Facebook? Or maybe Google?

JonRG
2012-03-12, 01:44 PM
Eberron has The Tyrants, a changeling organization that deals in information and creating new identities. They usually don't buy the former. :smallamused:

WyvernLord
2012-03-12, 01:58 PM
Facebook? Or maybe Google?

Horrifyingly truthful. :smalleek:

Autolykos
2012-03-13, 09:32 AM
Actually, most Thieves' Guilds are into that line of business anyway. If they don't acquire the information by questionable means, they would be explorers or librarians (depending on what kind of information we're talking about).
Just have one of those specialize a little more in your city.

Dsurion
2012-03-27, 06:51 PM
In my game, I use a faction called The Eyes of the Watcher. Their more public functions are as a grand library and university of sorts. The inner circle secretly doubles as an intelligence agency, spying and recording information under the guise of historians, selling that information to choice persons of power which benefit their native city as a whole.

nedz
2012-03-27, 07:12 PM
Don't give them a name: make finding out the name of a nameless group who collect names the plot hook.

Alternatively
The Directory

Calanon
2012-03-27, 07:22 PM
The Shadow Brokers? :smallbiggrin:

No, there can only be ONE Shadow Broker... and whoever S/HE IS should always be safely hidden... :smallamused:

EDIT: The Order of the Fly is always an evil information gathering unit... (Dicefreaks Gates of Hell Chapter 3 has further details on the Infiltrator of Beelzebub which further details the Order of the Fly)

crazyhedgewizrd
2012-03-27, 08:05 PM
the town council

LibraryOgre
2012-03-27, 08:15 PM
a guy.

Why? Because, invariably, people will refer to them by saying "I know a guy."

crazyhedgewizrd
2012-03-27, 08:17 PM
a guy.

Why? Because, invariably, people will refer to them by saying "I know a guy."

or no one, "I know no one can help you"

vulcanbardmoon
2012-03-27, 08:26 PM
The whispered congress. Might be a little late though.
I definitely like the ring to that one. But if you like being associated with Vecna, what about the Ears of Vecna?

Morithias
2012-03-27, 09:36 PM
The information brokers in Eternea is called "The Rumormongers"

Jay R
2012-03-28, 06:14 AM
"Parliament" or "the nobility".

Everyone in power buys information.

aldeayeah
2012-03-28, 06:35 AM
The Whisperers.

(however, everyone would call them the Gossips)

DigoDragon
2012-03-28, 07:47 AM
No, there can only be ONE Shadow Broker... and whoever S/HE IS should always be safely hidden... :smallamused:

I've so far only been partway through the first game, but my assumption is that the Shadow Broker has many "pawns" that deal with the buyers and sellers directly. That being said, perhaps then something like "The Shadow's Brokers"? :smallsmile:

nedz
2012-03-28, 02:01 PM
Power.
Because Knowledge is, ...

Dr Bwaa
2012-03-28, 02:15 PM
I love that the OP specified that he needed an answer within half an hour, yet the thread has been going for two weeks :smallamused:

Next, I'd like to throw in my vote for "Those Who Know".

And finally, Original Content™!lol nope
The Information Dealers
The Lore Brokers
The <color> Lorebearers

@nedz
pi = 4 lulz.

kyoryu
2012-03-28, 02:43 PM
The Altruists

They'd have a big show of doing all these public works and helping people in need, no matter who they are.

Because getting people to trust you is a *great* way to get info.

veven
2012-03-29, 12:26 PM
I love that the OP specified that he needed an answer withing half an hour, yet the thread has been going for two weeks :smallamused:

Hahaha, my players actually ended up taking a long time on some other stuff so they haven't actually gotten to the point where they would meet this group yet anyway.

Besides, I'm always interested in more names. Information wars might be sort of fun. Lots of different groups starting secret wars with each other for little scraps of knowledge.

Weirdlet
2012-03-29, 12:54 PM
The 'Right Folk'.