PDA

View Full Version : How do I teleport someone else?

CoffeeIncluded
2012-03-11, 12:47 PM
Yeah, basically exactly the question posed in the title. Say a wizard or sorcerer needs to teleport another person, but not himself, to a location somewhere on the same plane. What would he do? Right now I'm thinking that he could Dimensional Anchor himself and then cast Teleport on himself and the target, but only the target would get teleported, but could he Plane Shift someone else to a really far away location on the same plane?

Jeraa
2012-03-11, 01:00 PM
Plane Shift won't work - that sends people to other planes, not another place on the same plane.

Teleportation Circle is what you want.

Right now I'm thinking that he could Dimensional Anchor himself and then cast Teleport on himself and the target, but only the target would get teleported,

I'm not sure that would work. Teleport teleports the caster, who can choose to bring other along with him. If the caster doesn't go, then the others shouldn't go either. The caster brings others with him, not teleporting everyone individually.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-03-11, 01:00 PM
Plane Shift won't work - that sends people to other planes, not another place on the same plane.

Teleportation Circle is what you want.

What if you can't cast 9th-level spells?

Shadowknight12
2012-03-11, 01:01 PM
No, you must Plane Shift someone to another plane.

The Dimensional Anchor trick is debatable, but it would arguably work. The problem is that you explicitly get no saving throw or SR against spells with a target of: You.

I think there's a feat that lets you change the range of spells, but I am not sure it works on Target: You spells. I recall that there's a PrC with a class feature that lets you apply that exact type of spells to an ally, but it sounds like overkill.

If you're playing a cleric, you can use Imbue With Spell Ability, but I'm not sure if it has a spell level cap or not.

Siosilvar
2012-03-11, 01:04 PM
No, you must Plane Shift someone to another plane.

The Dimensional Anchor trick is debatable, but it would arguably work. The problem is that you explicitly get no saving throw or SR against spells with a target of: You.

I don't think it's debatable. Willing targets don't get a save or SR against teleport (only objects do) but dimensional anchor specifically says that it blocks teleport, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Jeraa
2012-03-11, 01:10 PM
I don't think it's debatable. Willing targets don't get a save or SR against teleport (only objects do) but dimensional anchor specifically says that it blocks teleport, so it shouldn't be a problem.

No, there is a problem. Look at the wording of Teleport.

This spell instantly transports you to a designated destination, which may be as distant as 100 miles per caster level. Interplanar travel is not possible.You can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load. You may also bring one additional willing Medium or smaller creature (carrying gear or objects up to its maximum load) or its equivalent (see below) per three caster levels.

The caster isn't teleporting everything individually. The caster teleports only himself, and drags along everything else. If the caster doesn't go, then there is nothing to drag the rest of the stuff to the destination as well.

bloodtide
2012-03-11, 01:26 PM
The dimension spells in the Players Handbook II (Dimension Hop, Dimension Shuffle and Dimensional step) all let a caster teleort another creature, but not every far.

Tactical Teleportation, in Complete Mage, also allows for short distance teleports.

Trobriand's Baleful Teleport, found in the Forgotten Realms Waterdeep book, allows you to teleport even an unwilling creature away.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-03-11, 01:30 PM
So if a mid-level wizard or sorcerer wants to teleport someone to, say, another country, what would be the best way to do it?

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-03-11, 01:41 PM
So if a mid-level wizard or sorcerer wants to teleport someone to, say, another country, what would be the best way to do it?

Spellguard of Silverymoon 4 (PGtF) allows for "personal" spells to be cast as range touch spells, so long as they are "defensive" in nature, as described by the sidebar. So, a Wizard 5/Spellguard 4 could slap Teleport on someone else, but that's a grey area by RAW.

Glyph Seals (MiC, I want to say) allows for a caster to store a spell in them, allowing another character to activate the spell at a later time. You could also get creative with Teleport-based traps.

Worst case scenario? If you can cast teleport, you just use it twice in a day.

Ernir
2012-03-11, 01:56 PM
You cast the spell twice. This is even mentioned in the PHB about renting NPC teleportation services.

Spellguard of Silverymoon won't work for the reasons Jeraa outlined.

Glyph Seals could work, but then you're giving someone who just teleported across the world one of your Glyph Seals. :smalltongue:

Planar Binding (that is, recruiting the services of outsiders with crazy SLAs) can solve anything, of course. Craft Contingent Spell probably too. But then you broke everything.

Jeraa
2012-03-11, 02:14 PM
Spellguard of Silverymoon won't work for the reasons Jeraa outlined.

Spellguard of Silverymoon doesn't work, but not because of what I said. It doesn't work because Spellguard can only be used on defensive spells, which the ability defines as:

For this purpose, a defensive spell is one that improves AC, increases a saving throw modifier, or grants additional hit points (either by healing wounds or by bestowing temperory hit points.)

Since Teleport does none of those things, the Spellguard ability can't be used with Teleport.

(If teleport could be used with the Spellguard ability, you could possibly interpret it as the person the caster touches is now the teleporter, and he drags others along with him. But it doesn't matter, as the Spellguard ability won't work with Teleport.)

Ernir
2012-03-11, 02:20 PM
Spellguard of Silverymoon doesn't work, but not because of what I said. It doesn't work because Spellguard can only be used on defensive spells, which the ability defines as:

Since Teleport does none of those things, the Spellguard ability can't be used with Teleport.
Right. Magic of the Land (Races of the Wild) is the most standard solution to that.

But it still won't work, because as you said, everyone but the caster is piggybacking.

EDIT:
(If teleport could be used with the Spellguard ability, you could possibly interpret it as the person the caster touches is now the teleporter, and he drags others along with him. But it doesn't matter, as the Spellguard ability won't work with Teleport.)
Hmm, interesting interpretation.

Jeraa
2012-03-11, 02:34 PM
Off topic, but I was looking at the Spellguard ability. It seems nearly useless. It only works with defensive arcane spells with a range of personal. In core, as far as I can tell, that is only False Life and (Tenser's) Transformation. There may be more in other books, but those seem to be the only core spells that the Spellguard ability works with. (All other defensive spells already have a range of touch, or have a range other then personal, or don't qualify as "defensive".)

Edit: The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting adds 1 spell - Shadow Mask. And while Magic of Faerun doesn't add any spell capable of working with Spellguard, it does have Mass Teleport, which can be used to teleport other creatures with the caster staying behind.

Zaq
2012-03-11, 02:43 PM
Off topic, but I was looking at the Spellguard ability. It seems nearly useless. It only works with defensive arcane spells with a range of personal. In core, as far as I can tell, that is only False Life and (Tenser's) Transformation. There may be more in other books, but those seem to be the only core spells that the Spellguard ability works with. (All other defensive spells already have a range of touch, or have a range other then personal, or don't qualify as "defensive".)

That just means you have to work at it a little harder. I believe that the typical way of doing this is to use Magic of the Land (RotW) in conjunction with an Acorn of Far Travel (online somewhere) to make every spell you like grant healing, which makes them count as "defensive." I might be missing some of the details, though.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-03-11, 05:09 PM

Edit: The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting adds 1 spell - Shadow Mask. And while Magic of Faerun doesn't add any spell capable of working with Spellguard, it does have Mass Teleport, which can be used to teleport other creatures with the caster staying behind.

It can be used in conjunction with Arcane Devotee to do things like Reach/Chain/Persist Divine Power and Righteous Might...

Mystify
2012-03-11, 05:13 PM
I will point out that core specifies what if you want to hire a wizard to cast teleport, you generally have to buy 2 so the wizard can teleport back home. The standard solution to teleporting somebody to another country would be to teleport there with them, then teleport back by yourself.

Arros Winhadren
2012-03-11, 06:36 PM
The easiest solution is probably to just ask your DM if your caster can independently research a Teleport Other spell. The core rules perfectly allow for research of new spells and a spell that teleports one willing creature would probably only be a spell level higher than Teleport, if not the same (give it a longer casting time or something).

kardar233
2012-03-11, 06:43 PM
That just means you have to work at it a little harder. I believe that the typical way of doing this is to use Magic of the Land (RotW) in conjunction with an Acorn of Far Travel (online somewhere) to make every spell you like grant healing, which makes them count as "defensive." I might be missing some of the details, though.

Pretty sure there's also a Favoured Soul ACF that makes your spells grant healing. Used in the Algernon of White Lilies (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5881.msg194047#msg194047) War Weaver build.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-03-11, 07:13 PM
The easiest solution is probably to just ask your DM if your caster can independently research a Teleport Other spell. The core rules perfectly allow for research of new spells and a spell that teleports one willing creature would probably only be a spell level higher than Teleport, if not the same (give it a longer casting time or something).

Yeah, I think I'll go with that. Thanks!

KicktheCAN
2012-03-11, 07:45 PM
Trobriand's Baleful Teleport, found in the Forgotten Realms Waterdeep book, allows you to teleport even an unwilling creature away.

This seems like the best solution. It is only one level higher than teleport and does exactly what was asked for. Nice find.

Darrin
2012-03-12, 05:47 AM
Glyph Seals could work, but then you're giving someone who just teleported across the world one of your Glyph Seals. :smalltongue:

That depends on how you word the trigger on the Glyph Seal. You can word it so that it's set off by proximity rather than contact.

You could also use a Skull Talisman (if you could figure out how to get your target to activate it), Chardalyn, or Shalantha's delicate disk (Lost Empires of Faerun).

Bastian Weaver
2012-03-12, 05:53 AM
Or you could whisper "you must... ESCAPE" and hope that it works.
What? :smalleek:

Morph Bark
2012-03-12, 06:57 AM
Words of Creation.

Reluctance
2012-03-12, 07:09 AM
Independent research works, yeah.

The other handy question is if this is something the PCs want, or if they're being forcibly ejected. If the former, I think there are rules for portals and gates somewhere. If nothing else, you can use trap rules.

If they just piss off a wizard and get dropped in the adventure location to get them out of his hair... well, don't. If this spell allows a save, expect fate to kick in and cause at least one natural 20. If it doesn't, your players will go to great lengths to get this spell, and then make your campaign a living hell with it.

Garagos
2012-03-12, 08:18 AM
I swear I remember reading about a spell called Baleful Teleport or something that does exactly what you want, teleports a target but not yourself. I'm AFB right now though so I can't look up the exact name or anything.

Ernir
2012-03-12, 08:41 AM
I swear I remember reading about a spell called Baleful Teleport or something that does exactly what you want, teleports a target but not yourself. I'm AFB right now though so I can't look up the exact name or anything.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread. :smalltongue:

Killer Angel
2012-03-12, 08:47 AM

Alter self should qualify: with appropriate form, it increase your AC, after all... :smallcool:

Myou
2012-03-13, 06:13 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20041215a
There you are, an official Teleport spell targeting another creature. :smallbiggrin:

Venusaur
2012-03-13, 07:14 PM
Off topic, but I was looking at the Spellguard ability. It seems nearly useless. It only works with defensive arcane spells with a range of personal. In core, as far as I can tell, that is only False Life and (Tenser's) Transformation. There may be more in other books, but those seem to be the only core spells that the Spellguard ability works with. (All other defensive spells already have a range of touch, or have a range other then personal, or don't qualify as "defensive".

The most fun thing this class can do is cast that Wu Jen spell that gives you massive bonuses but kills you on an enemy, and then running away.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-03-13, 08:12 PM
Yeah, basically exactly the question posed in the title. Say a wizard or sorcerer needs to teleport another person, but not himself, to a location somewhere on the same plane. What would he do? Right now I'm thinking that he could Dimensional Anchor himself and then cast Teleport on himself and the target, but only the target would get teleported, but could he Plane Shift someone else to a really far away location on the same plane?

...You know your comic doesn't have to run entirely on 3.5 RAW, right? Have Miles make his own spell called "Teleport Other".