PDA

View Full Version : Raccoon Stats

Pokelord2
2012-03-11, 03:26 PM
I got a character who may (very soon) end up a raccoon for a very long time and I need stats. Does anyone have a 3.5 resource I can use or a suggestion for a substitute?

Hirax
2012-03-11, 03:31 PM
I'm not sure they exist, if they don't I'd say use the stats for a dog, and add dex. Perhaps sub the track feat for the stealthy feat.

teslas
2012-03-11, 03:38 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/weasel.htm

gorfnab
2012-03-11, 04:00 PM
Unfamiliar Familiars (http://www.fierydragon.com/downloads/familiars.pdf) - It's third party, but it has reasonable stats for a raccoon.

Spiryt
2012-03-11, 04:03 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/weasel.htm

Uh, biggest animal that could pass as a 'weasel' is still about 4 times too small for a raccoon....

It seems that raccoons would be 'small' in 3.5 mechanics.

limejuicepowder
2012-03-11, 04:06 PM
3rd party can be fine obviously, but the animal that immediately jumps to my mind is a weasel. Roughly same size and shape, just take away the attach/blood drain ability (which is a pretty sweet ability, actually). Maybe add some ability related to a raccoon's well-known manual dexterity - letting you do fine manipulation of objects, for instance.

Hirax
2012-03-11, 04:10 PM
Weasels are not the same size, not by a long shot. Trust me, I see both on a regular basis. Edit: in fact, weasels aren't even that close in shape, dogs and cats are much closer to matching a raccoon's basic shape. When I originally posted I was torn between making a stronger cat or a more agile dog. Edit2: if there are stats for a fox somewhere, that would be another candidate, if it's a medium to larger sized fox being statted. Edit3: Arctic fox, from Frostburn, there we go. That's another good fit.

limejuicepowder
2012-03-11, 04:26 PM
Weasels are not the same size, not by a long shot. Trust me, I see both on a regular basis. Edit: in fact, weasels aren't even that close in shape, dogs and cats are much closer to matching a raccoon's basic shape. When I originally posted I was torn between making a stronger cat or a more agile dog. Edit2: if there are stats for a fox somewhere, that would be another candidate, if it's a medium to larger sized fox being statted. Edit3: Arctic fox, from Frostburn, there we go. That's another good fit.

Yeah after posting that I actually thought about it and decided weasels aren't really a good match...much too small. Even a cat is on the small side. Fox sounds good though, or small dog.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-11, 04:54 PM
Pathfinder also has some Raccoon statistics (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/raccoon) that include their bonus as a Familiar.

Pokelord2
2012-03-11, 06:16 PM
Pathfinder also has some Raccoon statistics (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/raccoon) that include their bonus as a Familiar.

Not that it matters since my mental scores are staying the same but isn't a 16 wisdom a little high for an animal?

Bhaakon
2012-03-11, 07:39 PM
I'd probably use the monkey (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/monkey.htm) stats. While I don't think anyone would mistake a raccoon and capuchin in real life, they're similar in size, both good climbers, and clever. Raccoon even have rather dextrous hand-like paws (minus an opposable thumb, unfortunately).

Togath
2012-03-12, 12:23 AM
Not that it matters since my mental scores are staying the same but isn't a 16 wisdom a little high for an animal?

Several animals in dnd and pf have fairly high wisdom, though in those cases it's usually 14 or 15, though a few animals in dnd and pf have wisdom scores as high as 16 or 17. Though, if your dm decides he would prefer 3.5 stats, a monkey as mentioned above would be a good replacement.

Anderlith
2012-03-12, 12:46 AM
Go with Fox or Cat

erikun
2012-03-12, 08:31 AM
My first thought would be a weasel or badger, although the stats for the monkey (plus scent) look appropriate. The stats for the Pathfinder raccoon seem kind of high, especially strength, but will probably work if you just need something.

Telonius
2012-03-12, 08:59 AM
The Badger stats look about right to me. Maybe lose the burrow speed, or turn it into a climb speed.

Averis Vol
2012-03-12, 11:10 AM
i don't mean to get off topic but i cant resist anymore. how did he get turned into a raccoon?

Pokelord2
2012-03-12, 02:05 PM
i don't mean to get off topic but i cant resist anymore. how did he get turned into a raccoon?

He hasn't been yet, when I come back from vacation in two weeks I'll start playing the character. He used to steal from low level wizards (he calls it 'his con') and those wizards in question went to a much more powerful wizard (who is famous for his off-the-wall magic items) for help. Regardless of how he captures my character (which hasn't been decided yet, but I'm hoping the other pcs are hired to do it) he puts a collar on my character and hands out rings to the party that are keyed to it. If someone wearing a worn ring wills it or the person wearing the collar is ever more than a mile away from a ring he turns into a raccoon. He doesn't have to be within a mile of all the rings but he cannot be the one wearing the ring. The only way for him to change back is for someone wearing a ring to will it.

This collar serves several functions: it keeps my character (a thief who doesn't feel compelled to stick with a party of heroes who only want the reward of justice and a smile) in the party. It also acts as a leash should my character get out of hand. This powerful wizard requests that the party keep an eye on me and give most (if not all) of my share to him so that he may cover the costs of the collar, rings, and eventually pay back those I had stolen from. The risk here is that my equipment becomes dependent upon what the party lends me. Oh, and if for some reason I can't play there's suddenly a random NPC in the party the GM probably doesn't want to play.

My character is running a build similar to one I mentioned in another thread but without the ability to acquire extra feats and is a straight, normal, Spellthief until he qualifies for Arcane Trickster at 13th level. Not a super powerful build but I like combining Impromptu Sneak Attack and Steal Spell. I go from 'Spellthief' to 'Spellmugger'.

WHERE'S MAH MAGIC? *BAM!* WHERE'S MAH MAGIC? *BAM!*

That got off topic, my bad. Anyway the collar thing was my suggestion so he may not do it. But considering the wizard making the item (whom I met in a previous campaign) the collar is likely something he would make.

Seharvepernfan
2012-03-12, 02:07 PM
Yeah, I'd use the stats from here. (http://www.fierydragon.com/downloads/familiars.pdf) I've had racoons before, and this looks accurate to me.

Crasical
2012-03-12, 02:43 PM
Stats for a Racoon Dog in Oriental Adventures are Small Size, 30ft movement, 13 AC, 1d4+1 bite attack, 12 str 13 dex 12 con.

Togath
2012-03-12, 03:41 PM
Stats for a Racoon Dog in Oriental Adventures are Small Size, 30ft movement, 13 AC, 1d4+1 bite attack, 12 str 13 dex 12 con.

Raccoon dog is actually a mis translation of tanuki(the correct translation of tanuki is tanuki, there actually is a small animal called that on which the ones in the legends were based on, though the one mentioned in oa is meant to represent a version of the mythical one I think)
Though the mis translation of "raccoon dog" makes some sense, they do look sort of like odd looking raccoons, and the oa stats could work, but you would want to add a climb speed.

Yuki Akuma
2012-03-12, 04:33 PM
Raccoon dog is not a mistranslation of tanuki. Raccoon dog is the English name for that animal.

They are literally canids with raccoon-like features.

Togath
2012-03-12, 05:06 PM
Raccoon dog is not a mistranslation of tanuki. Raccoon dog is the English name for that animal.

They are literally canids with raccoon-like features.

Huh, neat, I had always thought they were seperate(I had thought foxes weren't canids, until I looked it up after you posted, which wa sneat to find out as well), also neat to find out they can climb trees aparently, I had always thought the raccoon dogs were unable to climb, now I sort of want to make stats for a dire raccoon dog and think of a reason to include one in my dnd camapign

Darbius Maximus
2015-05-10, 05:50 AM
Dragon magazine 280. Sorry it's stupid late but I came across a similar dilemma so I thought I'd give my two cents. These are stats as authentic as the third party book thrown around as far as how you want to take them but yeah. Anyway, hopefully this helps despite being late. maybe archive or redirect this to people :/

Haruki-kun
2015-05-10, 12:49 PM
The Winged Mod: Thread Necromancy.