PDA

View Full Version : The Lords of Life and Death

Pages : [1] 2

nyarlathotep
2012-03-11, 04:39 PM
Nightfall was still a full moon cycle away but the wagon-train was nervous. They had found broken carts along the roadside that had showed evidence of forceful destruction and a crippled horse. It had its legs broken and was partially gut. The poor beast was still struggling against the straps that bound it to an upturned wagon until the train leader, Malcolm, put it down.

Landsend could be seen on the horizon scarcely a mile away, but sinister clouds rolled in from the north. The travelers made haste to avoid falling in their shadow.

BelGareth
2012-03-11, 06:48 PM
Beldin's Oracular orbs flickered as he surveyed the tree line adjacent to the caravan. He had overheard the caravan leader saying he was nervous about possible bandits.

It was the logical outcome.

Beldins metallic face shone in the darkness unable to portray the confusion he had inside.

He was having a hard time trying to rid himself of the constant logical procedure, it was so ingrained into him it automatically came to him instantly as his first thought.

It was something he would have to work on.

Shrugging his shoulders he moved on, having scanned the section of treeline to his level of need, his feet taking him further and faster than most would believe was possible from a warforged made from metal and wood.

NotScaryBats
2012-03-11, 08:11 PM
A desiccated walking corpse in shining steel breastplate, boots and gauntlets travelled with the wagon train. Her body was covered in clean white bandages, some scribed with runes, some unadorned. The bandages ran up to her chin, leaving her face and hair uncovered. Time and undeath had changed her once beautiful face into a much different sight. At best, it was uncomfortable to look at, but when she loosed the divine might animating her body, those eyes burned and few were able to meet her gaze. Hair as white as snow was kept tight in a soldiers' bun. If nothing else, the woman looked dangerous.

Joan held the rear of the wagon train, partly because an attack from the rear was more probable than one from the front, but also because she still felt uncomfortable with the sidelong glances and horrified looks people gave her. She was here to protect them -- that was why she was here, after all -- so why couldn't they just treat her equally?

She continued to walk upright and proud despite her inner feelings. This body was built for strength, not speed, however, and she had to push herself a little bit to keep up with the wagon train. Luckily, fatigue was no longer an issue for her.

Kazyan
2012-03-11, 08:18 PM
Istid removed the end of her waterskin from her mouth and idly looked over her left hand. She honestly had no idea if the puce streak was receding or expanding. In either case, she shouldn't slow down on drinking.

With a sad smile, she glanced over to the broken wood at the side of the road. The people at the caravan never did inform her what went wrong there, or maybe she wasn't paying attention. Probably that. It didn't matter anyway. The dead horse tugged at her heartstrings--someone could have saved it somehow.

She took another gulp form the waterskin and walked alongside one of the wagons, not particularly interested in borrowing a ride. Walking burned off a lot of energy. Repetitive motion sometimes helped her get focused, too. Maybe she would rest in a wagon if she got tired or too thirsty. Considering the distance and the amount of water she had left, Istid might be able to get back to her cottage without dealing too much with the nonfey she didn't feel attached to. With a sigh, she laced her fingers together and rested them on her head, her elbows out to her sides.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-11, 10:01 PM
Les rests his feet by slowing to the speed of the horses so we can all arrive at the same time. As soon as everyone catches up with him he sees Istid drinking "Hello again miss do you need your waterskin filled?" (I assume it has become a daily routine for Les to do this not that he minds). Apon seeing the dead horses he scowls "If another horse is wounded DON'T KILL IT *cough*. Between all of us there is bound to be some healin' magic, so think before you go murder someone.".

nyarlathotep
2012-03-11, 10:42 PM
Upon hearing Lester the caravan lead whispers something to his son who is before handing him the reigns of their wagon and dropping back to talk. He has a manner about him of a man who is trying very hard to project strength to those around him but is very scared himself. When he talks he does not whisper but does attempt to keep his voice down so that the others will not hear.

As he begins speaking Lester can hear the sound of breaking leaves and swaying branches. It is the sound of animals with very small hoofed feet, but very long strides. This is comforting most animals with such a spindly structure would collapse under their own weight if corrupted by dragon's blood. They are moving southward and quickly.

Malcolm: You're probably right Mister Gerdmen, I acted rashly in response to the younger ones getting scared their are rumors floating around that it was something rather than someone that attacked those caravans and that's why we saw no other bodies. I'm just not used to having any around who can still cast healing magics. I will try to leave any other such matters in...

The middle aged man trailed off in mid sentence, having noticed something off the road's western side. The animals covered in shaggy black fur with a head and body much like those of a horse supported by four slender legs, easily four meters long each. These creatures, known as forest striders or wooly giraffes, seem very startled and are moving southward as quickly as possible through the trees and fallen leaves.

Malcolm: I need to get back to the front. Whatever's got them spooked this bad can't be good for us, even if its just timber wolves.

As the man gets up to go Malcolm is able to hear something else that eludes the other members of the train. Far to their north behind the wagon-train he hears the greeting cries of terror birds. Something wasn't right though, their calls were pushed out all as one current meaning that they had a diaphragm, when the large flightless birds normally had the same gas sac respiratory system shared by all birds.

Wow that is a high listen bonus for Lester.

Terror birds are a real world animal that went extinct, but survived in this setting. They're a lot like very large strictly carnivorous emus.

picture of the striders for you folks
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss175/Nyarlathotep1/Blackriverthing_by_Monsuta_Ko.png

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-11, 11:13 PM
OOC: that all comes with having a wis mod of 9

"Ya mean well and that will more than make up for it in terms of me forgivin' you, but It's the horse that needs the appology... Hold on now I hear trouble a comin. Get ready for battle mates!".

initiative [roll0]

NotScaryBats
2012-03-11, 11:57 PM
Joan perks up, readying her shield and swiftly drawing her sword and looking about for the threat.

Initiative: [roll0]

Sneaky Weasel
2012-03-12, 01:13 AM
Malain crouched on top of the wagon, conserving his energy. Whenever possible, he refrained from walking, as the pain it caused was not worth the effort. He tilted back his head, enjoying the cool wind blowing across his skull. As they passed the broken wagons and the dying horse, he shook his head and gave a rasping sound that could have been a laugh, a cough or something else entirely. Just another casualty in the war of worlds, he thought. Pushing the thought out of his mind, he looked around warily for whatever had caused the damage. He tried to drown out the voices of the others, concentrating on anything that might mean danger. Then Lester gave a shout of alarm. Malain curses, sliding off the wagon and drawing a pair of knives. I should have heard them coming. What good am I if I let danger walk right into our midst without doing a thing to stop it? He swiftly drops into the bushes beside the road, hiding so he can launch a surprise attack against whatever threatens them.
Initiative: [roll0]
Hide check: [roll1]

nyarlathotep
2012-03-12, 02:17 AM
Iniatives
enemy 1: [roll0]
enemy 2: [roll1]
enemy 3: [roll2]
wagon-train: [roll3]

Wavelab
2012-03-12, 02:41 AM
He sat quietly in the corner while all the commotion was happening. He quietly got up and poked his friend Les with the tip of his sword to get his attention. Has someone decided to engage us then?

[roll0]

Kazyan
2012-03-12, 08:59 AM
Istid, in her distraction, hadn't heard Lester's question. The louder mention of battle, however, pulled her back to reality. After removing her dagger from its sheath, she looked forward and to both sides, unsure of where a possible threat could come from.

"Can we finish this up fast so we can keep walking?" In preparation, she took a moment to concentrate on fortifying her body with the power to endure wounds.

Inititative: [roll0]
Manifesting Vigor, 4 PP. Share Powers with the psicrystal in the Handy Haversack on her back. If that doesn't work due to extradimensional blah blah blah, ignore it.

Conentration check to suppress material and olfactory display, DC 16: [roll1]

20 temporary HP, 86/90 PP

DeusMortuusEst
2012-03-12, 12:46 PM
Anthony

Walking besides the nixie is a young boy, with dark, unruly hair and pale, green eyes. Little can be seen of his face, as it is hidden behind a white crystal mask, just as the rest of his thin body is beneath a large piece of worn cloth that he has wrapped around him, revealing only his bare feet and his small, almost delicate hands. As the people around him prepares for a fight he reaches out and grabs Istid's hand.
"Be careful, Istid!" The voice is as thin as his body, but there's a hint of some unknown strength beneath its brittleness.

In his monstrous form Anthony forms one mouth and one tentacle with the following costs:

Mouth, 2 points
Large mouth x3, 6 points
Hooked teeth, 4 points
Razor teeth x2 12 points

Tentacle, 3 points
Hooked tentacle, 2 points
Long tentacle x4, 12 points
Coiling tentacle, 4 points
Large tentacle x2, 6 points

nyarlathotep
2012-03-12, 03:06 PM
This is at initiative 7 and 9 because the enemies didn't show up until then. Everyone was able to do battle prep and weapons drawing unmolested. The wagon train began moving forward with all due caution

Two bipedal forms emerge from the forest's shadow slowly approaching the train's rear. They are birds as tall as horses at the shoulder, but only in shape. All other actual features of avian life have been forced out of the creatures: their feathers have hardened into a black spines, their wings already too short to fly are now completely unable to move due to their down fusing into a sing mass, and their heads have become entirely dominated by overgrowth from their beaks, eyes, crest, and all other features have been covered up.

Unusually however they announce their presence with repeated shrieks and approach in the open, only dropping into a full run once in view of their prey. Malain and Lester both understanding a predator's mind, Lester through observation and Malain from being one, instantly realize that these creatures are not intending to be the force of the kill, they want to caravan to panic and start running, likely directly into an ambush. Beldin makes similar though slightly different observations based on his highly logical mode of thinking: if they approach from the back they are intending to drive the wagon-train in the direction it was already going. This would mean that their trap either needs those running into it to be moving quickly or it needs them to not be paying attention to what it in front of them.

Wavelab
2012-03-12, 04:25 PM
Siggeir watched the situation patiently. Thinking. Planning.

Sneaky Weasel
2012-03-12, 07:25 PM
Malain watches the terror birds as they charge, his eyes narrowing. They're trying to drive us into a trap, he thinks. Clever little bastards, aren't they?
He scuttles a pace or two forward, testing the wind. Then his two dagger leap like chain lightening from his hands, flipping through the air towards the birds.
Ranged Dagger Attack: [roll0] / [roll1] Damage: [roll2]
If a critical threat(12-20): Comfirmation: [roll3] or [roll4] Damage: [roll5]
On a critical, 90 or higher is a threat of death or crippling(my choice) Fort DC 19 avoids: [roll6]

Extra Sneak Attack Damage: [roll7]
Using Assassin's Stance to up my sneak attack damage.
Edit: I'm assuming 26 hits, so that's 29 damage in total. If the confirmation roll of 15 hits, then it's 45 damage.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-12, 08:00 PM
Sorry, but I'm afraid that you can't attack until they appear something that happens after your turn look in the spoiler at the top of the DMs last post. I guess for most of us this will be a buff round.

nyarlathotep
2012-03-12, 08:21 PM
Sneaky very well could have delayed his action until they showed up and attacking them while charging would allow the 15 to confirm.

Kazyan
2012-03-12, 08:22 PM
Istid looked over to Anthony and smiled, as she dropped her waterskin to reach for the psicrystal in her backpack. "Don't worry about me. I can handle it!" She grabbed the psicrystal and pushed some of her mental energy into it, then let go. "I'll protect you." Flickers of ectoplasm surrounded her as a mild ringing sound pressed into the thoughts of others nearby.

I think this is my initiative count?

Share Pain with psicrystal. 83/90 PP. Move action to grab crystal.

Joan's turn next, if I mathed right.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-12, 08:45 PM
DeusMortuusEst goes before you.

Wavelab
2012-03-13, 01:49 AM
"Would anyone here that possesses the ability to fly mind distracting the birds behind us while me and the the toad go ahead and try and weaken some enemies? After we have distracted them with our quick attack the wagon can come in and we can turn the guerrilla strike into full fledged battle." Siggeir said as he looked at his group of companions.

Basically, Les' eagle distract the two birds behind us getting them away from the wagon, while staying out of harms way. Me and Sneaky, sneak up ahead and sneak attack, at which point the cavalry charges in, attacking the confused birds as their plan backfired.

Sneaky Weasel
2012-03-13, 02:21 AM
Malain grimaces at the sound of Siggier's voice. His plan was sound, but...
"That might work. But going into battle with me after calling me 'toad' is not a wise plan. Don't call me that. My name is Malain." He creeps stealthily towards the birds, dagger in hand.
Move Silently: [roll0]

Wavelab
2012-03-13, 02:36 AM
"Of course. I am terribly sorry. Malain I fear that I have not thought of a very solid plan as I don't know much about these birds, but I can assure you that it will be easily handled. Though I advise extreme caution as the trap that might be ahead, might not be what it seems at all." Sigger said, thinking about what is up ahead.

May I ask towards which birds you are creeping? :smallbiggrin:

DeusMortuusEst
2012-03-13, 05:33 AM
Anthony

Seeing the birds appear from the forest and hearing Istid's reassuring words he nods to himself and lets go of her hand.
"And I'll protect you..." He whispers and turns his attention inwards for a moment, calling upon the darkness that hides inside his body. "Nothing bad..." His body jerks suddenly and he seems to bend strangely backwards, his back arching so that it is his head is almost touching the ground. "Will ever..." His voice becomes strangely muffled for a moment, before it returns, deeper, more powerful than before and originating from the center of his body and not his head. "HURT YOU!". Anthony snaps forward, the cloth that he's wearing is thrown back, revealing his pale stomach that is now consisting of a mouth impossibly large, stretching out beyond the size of the boy. Long wicked teeth fill the mouth to the brim. From his back a long tentacle covered with sharp hooks forms, ready to grab hold of the first enemy to approach.

Forcing every opponent within line of sight to make a will save DC 21 or become shaken for 1 minute or until the end of the encounter.
Ready action: Attack the first enemy who comes within 25 ft.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-13, 12:48 PM
"There are probably some ambushers ahead I'll try and throw em off.".I will make a run 525ft. and my eagle will be 125 ft behind me. As we move I will make a listen check [roll0] and my eagle will make a spot check [roll1]. If eather of us detect something then we will both change direction preferably twords a forest and lead the opponents in that direction.

nyarlathotep
2012-03-13, 03:14 PM
The terror birds turn as if to flee but then doubleback and charge toward the party once more, as if compelled by some greater power to ignore the fear inflicted on them by two great supernatural forces. They both race forward and having been forced to confront their fears attempt to destroy them, biting at Joan and Anthony.

Meanwhile Lester explores what is before the caravan and fines two disturbing sights from the air. Covering the entire road widthwise is a sinkhole covered by dirt and branches to make it appear as a natural part of the path. The trap resembles the kind that would be set by trapdoor spiders or ant-lions. Second is a horse-sized creature with bat-like wings nesting to the east of the road and camaflagued by the trees' think foliage. It is the result of a giant eagle or similar great bird being subjected to dragon-blood taint. It is at the moment covered in its leathery wings, but you know from experience that although such corrupted creatures struggle to fly for great lengths of time due to the mutations of their lung, they have enough energy for short bursts of incredible speed.

The terror birds ironically failed their saves versus both fear effects but were forced not to flee and simply have to stomach the penalty instead.

Everyone who had readied actions to attack can make them now. Their AC is 15 while charging and flat-footed (as they would technically be against your readied actions.)
Attack against Joan: [roll0]
Confirmation roll: [roll1]
Grapple if hit: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
Acid: [roll4]
Critical extra damage: [roll5]
Attack against Anthony: [roll6]
Confirmation roll: [roll7]
Grapple if hit: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9]
Acid: [roll10]
Critical extra damage: [roll11]

NotScaryBats
2012-03-13, 05:33 PM
Joan effortlessly blocks the bird's clumsy attack with her shield, and counterattacks with her long sword.

Full attack
Attack 1 [roll0] v AC,
18-20 crit range [roll1] x3 crit

On hit [roll2] and [roll3] cold dmg
Trip attempt [roll4]

Attack 2 [roll5] v AC
18-20 crit range [roll6] x3

On hit [roll7] and [roll8] cold dmg
Trip attempt [roll9]

DeusMortuusEst
2012-03-14, 10:40 AM
Before the bird charging Anthony has a chance to strike at him the boy lashes out with his tentacle, aiming to halt the charge before the beast gets too close to him and Istid.

With a reach of 25 ft. Anthony should get an attack before the bird has a chance to strike him. A hit with the tentacle triggers Snatch, allowing Anthony to start a grapple, and if the grapple is successful it deals 1d8 constrict damage. While grappling Anthony will pull the bird into reach of his mouth and begin devouring next round. Because of Bizarre Grappler the bird doesn't get any grapple bonuses for being larger than Anthony (if it is).
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Since he is attacking with a natural weapon this might cause Imperious Command to trigger, I'm unsure if it counts as a full attack. If it does, the birds must make another will save DC 21 or move down another step on the fear-table (I'm unsure if they're shaken or frightened).

EDIT: Wow, talk about unlucky rolls, failed to hit but got a massive grapple check. Well, guess it's time to take some damage. :smalltongue:

Wavelab
2012-03-15, 01:14 AM
Siggeir followed Les t'wards the ambush, running swiftly behind him.

nyarlathotep
2012-03-15, 02:22 AM
Obviously not expecting such competent opponents the terror bird attacking Joan swiftly perishes, but the creature attacking Anthony lands a blow and is able to shrug off the effects of the mummy's paralysis.

Although the wagon-train behind them is spooked, Joan's ability to quickly dispatch one of the beasts keeps their ordered retreat from turning into a mad dash.

This is just finishing up how the actions interacted together. Pretty much everyone except Wavelab needs to go still because of the way prepared actions work.

NotScaryBats
2012-03-15, 02:44 AM
Wow, really? I can take another turn now? If I misunderstood you, feel free to ignore this post and I will delete it when notified.

Having defeated the opponent before her, Joan moves to confront the other threat.

Joan has a move of 20 -- I don't know if that is enough to get to the second bird.
If so, she attacks it with her longsword
[roll0] v AC
on hit [roll1] dmg + [roll2] cold dmg
trip attempt [roll3]
crit confirmation [roll4] x3

If she is too far away, she uses her Frighten ability to attempt to paralyze the creature
Will save, DC 22 or be paralyzed for [roll5] rounds
This is different from her Despair passive aura, and is a standard action and I assume it isn't effected by the 'can't be effected more than once every four rounds' clause of Despair.

Sneaky Weasel
2012-03-15, 03:55 AM
Malain hisses, and follows Siggier as fast as he can, which isn't very. His legs ache as he runs, every step like spikes in his muscles. Breath whistles through his teeth as he tries to keep a steady pace, and not make too much noise.
It just had to be running, didn't it?

Wavelab
2012-03-15, 04:55 AM
Siggeir looks back at Malain who followed him. He turns back and starts following Malain's pace. "I find it better to stick together in case of emergencies."

DeusMortuusEst
2012-03-15, 10:01 AM
Anthony

Enraged by his clumsy miss against the bird and the stinging injury its powerful beak left on his body Anthony lashes out again, with both mouth and tentacle.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
Disregard the following if the mouth grapple succeeds
[roll5]
[roll6]
The full attack triggers Dreadul Wrath, forcing the bird to make a DC 21 will save or become shaken.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-15, 10:48 AM
Les will move 10 ft toward the mutant eagle (to get in range) then cast baleful polymorph to turn the monster into a field mouse or chicken (depending on if it is in the air or not) Will save 24. If the transformation is successful then Les's eagle will snatch it up in it's talons. Les instructs it not to eat the thing as it still may still be tainted. My eagle will be significantly high in the air 185 ft. away and it will make a diving charge at the mutant eagle. After attacking the mutant eagle Les's eagle will fly past it and 15 ft behind the opponent at the end of its turn.

EDIT: Look for my rolls in OOC I forgot about the eagle attacking.

nyarlathotep
2012-03-15, 05:10 PM
The creature shrugs off Lester's spell, but the eagle's attacks strike true tearing long wounds into the creature's wings. Upon this disturbance the beast awakens, unfurling its wings and reveals itself to be much larger than you initially estimated. Easily over twenty feet long with a wingspan of at least seventy feet this animal must have once been a great roc of the northern mountain ranges, vigilant guardians of the ruins of ancient giant civilizations. It has grown a monstrous tail tipped with a barb dripping foul yellow poison and its head has been twisted into nothing more than an enormous toothed beak drooling acid spittle.

The monster rushes past Lester and flies over the caravan. It snatches up the toad assassin Malain from their midst. It then begins talking in guttural spit filled Auran.

for anyone who speaks Auran
Draconic Roc: It's best not to the allure of this feast blind me to failure. Come brother we have things far more important than a simple meal to discuss.

It then continues 140 feet to the road's west carrying its amphibious prize with it.

Almost as soon as the roc crosses the road the only remaining terror bird panics and begins running away from caravan, the force compelling it to ignore its fear now gone.

The roc provoked attacks of opportunity from Lester, his eagle, and Siggeir.

The terror bird provokes from Joan, Anthony, and possibly Istid due to her not establishing quite where she was standing.

When you had used spot before you got high enough to see the roc but not high enough to notice it was trying to disguise itself by appearing smaller.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-15, 05:37 PM
"Daaamn! Now that's a big'un."

Lester lobs a rock at the roc and his eagle rips at the birds wings again.Here are the AoO's

Sling attack [roll0]
Sling critical confirm [roll1]
Sling damage[roll2]
Sling bonus critical damage [roll3]

Talon attack [roll4]
Talon critical confirm [roll5]
Talon damage[roll6]
Talon bonus critical damage [roll]1d6+2

EDIT: Sorry I messed that last one up, but there was no crit anyways.

NotScaryBats
2012-03-15, 05:59 PM
As the bird she is engaged with attempts to flee, Joan puts all her might into one last strike, attempting to end its horrible existence.

AoO with Power Attack -5 to hit and +5 to dmg
[roll0] v AC
crit conf [roll1] x3
on hit [roll2]dmg and [roll3] cold dmg
trip attempt [roll4]

Sneaky Weasel
2012-03-15, 06:03 PM
Malain nods gratefully as Siggier slows his pace, all the while cursing his own inadequacy. He locks his eyes on the winged menace, only to find it missing. Where?... Then a rush of wind, and cruel talons fasten on his cloak, and he is pulled into the air unstoppably.
The air rushes past his face, making his eyes water. The creature shrieks as it bears him away, speaking in some strange language unknown to Malain. He wriggles in it's grasp, turning around to attack the thing.
"I'll send you to hell, you monster!" he screams, stabbing it again and again with thin, bloody cuts.
Attacking it with Bloodletting Strike: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] plus [roll2] plus 4 points of Constitution Damage. A Fortitude save(DC 23) reduces the Constitution damage to 2 points.
If attack if 12 or higher, confirmation: [roll3] Damage: [roll4] plus the 5d6 and 4 points of Con damage.
Edit: If 20 hits, that's 19 damage, and no critical threat.

Kazyan
2012-03-16, 12:19 AM
Alarmed by Anthony's eager transformation, Istid doesn't quite know what to think until the one that attacked the boy began to run. She gripped her dagger more tightly as she ran after it.

"Get back here! So I can stab you!" she spat at the terror bird as she bolted towards it, hoping to get close enough to ram her dagger into its body. A weak taunt, but she felt strongly about not letting Anthony be hurt.

I forgot to factor in the Boots of Springing and Striding into her character sheet, but she moves at 30'.

If she can catch up to it with a charge attack, she does so. Manifest Psionic Lion's Charge as a swift action, 80/90 PP left, to get a pounce. Otherwise, no manifesting, just running. Of course, if Joan kills the bird, Istid will run past, look rather silly, and stop.

Attack: [roll0]
Possible Confirmation: [roll1]
Possible Damage: [roll2] + [roll3], nonlethal
Possible Confirmed Crit Damage: [roll4] + [roll5], nonlethal

Second Attack: [roll6]
Possible Confirmation: [roll7]
Possible Damage: [roll8] + [roll9], nonlethal
Possible Confirmed Crit Damage: [roll10] + [roll11], nonlethal

Wavelab
2012-03-16, 01:14 AM
Siggeir saw the bird approaching. He took his rapier and stabbed at it.

"Malain, let's continue forward and "

Attack Roll:
[roll0]

Damage Roll:
[roll1]

Sneak Attack Damage*:
[roll2]

On hit:
1 point of constitution damage.

*I couldn't quite remember if sneak attack applies. I believe it doesn't but I have included it incase.

nyarlathotep
2012-03-16, 02:57 AM
I don't think the sneak attack is applied but I'm not sure.

The last terror bird dies with a pathetic whimper and falls to the ground.

The roc seems surprised by Malain's attacks and begins repeatedly stabbing him with its barbed tail as retaliation, but does utilize its other attacks and continues a further 200 feet from the road.

The poison Fort DC is 27 or you take the listed dex damage.

Tail attack 1: [roll0]
Confirmation roll: [roll1]
damage: [roll2]
critical bonus damage: [roll3]
dex damage: [roll4]
critical bonus dex damage: [roll5]

Tail attack 2: [roll6]
Confirmation roll: [roll7]
damage: [roll8]
critical bonus damage: [roll9]
dex damage: [roll10]
critical bonus dex damage: [roll11]

Sneaky Weasel
2012-03-16, 03:52 AM
The bird ignores Malain's attack and stabs him twice with it's tail. The barb rips through his clothing and armor, tearing two bloody holes in his side. He gives a wordless scream of pain, and he feels the blood flowing out of him to fall to the ground far below. Then his wounds catch fire, sending agony through him like fire in his veins. His muscles seize up, making it almost impossible to move. More than ever, he feels weak and helpless.
Guess this is it. I would have liked to go down killing something, but I guess that's not happening. I guess I'll settle for stabbing it one more time.
Wordlessly, he stabs it again, sending all his hatred into the blow, before falling completely limp and hoping that it thinks he has died.
Obscuring Shadow Veil: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] plus [roll2] And it must make a DC 22 Fortitude save or suffer a 50% miss chance on all attacks on it's next turn.
If a critical threat: Confirmation: [roll3] Damage: [roll4]
On a critical, 90 or higher is a threat of death or crippling(my choice) Fort DC 19 avoids: [roll5]
Edit: Curse my luck. I don't suppose a 13 hits, but if it does the birdy takes 27 damage.

Wavelab
2012-03-16, 04:06 AM
Siggeir sees how the roc attack Malain. He run around the bird, flanking it. He then thrusts twice with his rapier.

Attack Rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Damage Rolls:
[roll2]
[roll3]

Sneak Attack Damage:
[roll4]

1 point of con damage per hit.

I most likely provoke one AoO from the roc. It has to beat an AC of 23 to hit me.

nyarlathotep
2012-03-16, 01:12 PM
This technically isn't the roc's turn he's using his immediate action to talk.

The monstrous creature holding Malain begins speaking again. This time it is attempting to speak common, but its words come out broken as it is clearly not fluent.

Roc: Brother why you hurt us. The travel more important than one meal.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-16, 02:47 PM
Les stands in awe of the roc seeing its incredible speed, but then turns his attention to the sink holes and uses his tracking skill to determine if trapdoor spiders or other monster recently entered them or if they are just empty holes for the caravan to fall in to. Survival check [roll0].

Sneaky Weasel
2012-03-16, 11:30 PM
And then Malain realized. His curse could very well be an advantage. If those he hated the most thought he was one of them, he could strike when they least expected it. Now he had to keep cool, and pretend to be the creature's friend.
"I'm sorry...brother," he gasps, trying to be believable, "I wanted to kill the humans...but you're right, we should go." If he could recover from the poison soon, and if these things even slept, he might be able to kill them easily. He'd been up against worse odds than this, although for the life of him he couldn't remember when.
Bluff check: [roll0] Although it probably would believe me anyway.

nyarlathotep
2012-03-17, 09:55 PM
Lester determines that the trapdoor was likely constructed by a giant trapdoor-spider, and that such a creature can survive draconic corruption, but is unable to lift its body anymore due to the spindly nature of its legs. So the animal in this pit was likely being used as a stationary trap by the other dragon corrupted creatures. You know that a trapdoor-spider of this size could normally strike creatures up to ten feet from its trap, but without proper legs it could likely only attack prey directly above it.

----

Some distance away the roc begins to speak again to Malain. Using common clearly takes great effort from the beast, and it is visibly tiring after less than a minute of flight time.

Roc: Thank you brother, we must reach the gathering in the high mountains. They will be ending this war, the dead who walk, but I tire flying makes it hard to breath. We talk more in the morning.

After only ten more minutes the flyer covers nearly eight miles of distance but collapses into a pile from the effort. Malain finds that his surroundings are an abandoned hilltop fortification to the north west of Landsend. The walls are broken and stained from fights with dragon-blooded and undead enemies as well as the humans it was originally meant to guard against. His companion rapidly loses consciousness and begins sleeping restlessly.

I'm sort of assuming that no one can catch up to the bird when it starts taking double moves, and this won't effect the current initiative. If someone does have super speed speak up and will rectify this.

NotScaryBats
2012-03-17, 10:33 PM
Now that the ambush has been weathered, Joan moves to the front of the caravan to see what has been found there. She approaches Lester and says, "Lester, what have you found?" Apparently, her undead eyes are not sharp enough to perceive the trap.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-18, 08:34 PM
"There are some pit traps around, they got giant spiders in them. I think dragons taint bloats them out so they cannot escape there pits, so I can show you around them."

NotScaryBats
2012-03-20, 11:09 AM
"I have a hard time allowing tainted beasts to stalk these lands, but our first priority is getting these people to safety. If you can lead us through the traps, we should do that. Once we have them behind sturdy walls, we can venture out again, rid the land of these craven animals, and hunt down that roc to save our toad-like companion." Joan answers with conviction. She is pained by the apparent loss of the frog-man, but she does not allow herself to get distracted from the mission on hand.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-20, 01:48 PM
As soon as we all have reached were Les was standing when he first saw the trap doors he will find a path around the entire cluster of spiders, and lead them that way making sure that they don't get to close occasionally he may say "I don't know exactly how far they can reach out of there pits".

nyarlathotep
2012-03-20, 04:18 PM
The caravan moves at Lester's direction, maneuvering around the pits and continuing on southward. As the last wagon moves past one of the larger trapdoors springs open and a flurry of movement is seen along its side but too far to actually threaten any of the travelers. This reveals the creature beneath, a arachnoid horror covered in bony plates, sitting at the pit's bottom. It's legs are far to thin to support its new bony growth, so the corruption has re-purposed them into eight cruel blades pointed out and upward to skewer prey that venture too close, as have its grotesquely elongated fangs. The animal appears emaciated and covered in sores due to its immobility; it will likely die soon if prey does not wonder directly into its pit.

The caravan crew recoil in terror and continue with greater haste to Landsend, having escaped the forest and are in the final stretch across the hilly plains leading to its walls.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-20, 05:32 PM
Well if nothing else stops Les from entering he will hesitantly inch his way in to Landsend as this is his first time in civilization.

Kazyan
2012-03-20, 06:27 PM
Istid avoids the pit traps, taking time to direct the wagons properly. It annoys her that everyone has to move around the roads and lose time, but doesn't say anything. At the sight of the spider trapped under it own weight, she looks down in the pit and sighs. As a friend of all of nature's creatures, she refuses to discriminate between the more beatiful creatures and the more monstrous ones. When few people are paying attention, she tosses a day's quantity of rations at the spider, then continues walking.

Later, when the caravan finally reaches Landsend, Istid shifts closer to Les--she doubts if he can adjust to civilization immediately, so she is prepared to comfort and calm him.

NotScaryBats
2012-03-20, 07:33 PM
Joan waits until the mortal townsfolk have safely navigated the pit trap before following, once again taking the rear guard. As the wretched spider finally shows itself, she can be seen sorrowfully shaking her head. What has this world come to in these recent years...

She intends on putting it out of its misery when they venture out again.

Wavelab
2012-03-21, 07:22 AM
Siggeir waited for them to pass, and he followed quietly. They finally entered the city, a place where his plans could unfold amazingly.

Sneaky Weasel
2012-03-21, 05:12 PM
Malain slumps to the ground as soon as the roc lets him go. He was exhausted, the poison still making his every vein throb. For a while he just lays still on the ground, his face pressed into the dirt. A distinctly ennoble posture, but that hardly matters to me now. At least he was still alive.
After a few moments he heaves himself to his feet, gasping as the wounds he had received were pulled open by his movement. He turns slowly towards the roc, and sees that it has fallen into a deep slumber, it's massive body lying still. He could probably kill it now, even in his weakened state. A knife to the brain kills most anything. But then what? Go back to his companions, if he could even survive the journey. But if he stayed with the bird...
This was what he had been waiting for. It had never even occurred to him that the dragon-spawn would mistake him for an ally. But if he could infiltrate their ranks, he could do what he did best. Assassinate. One by one, he could kill the most powerful dragon-spawn. If this thing could lead him to the linnorms, well, even killing one of them would complete his life. What happened after that, he didn't really care. This was the greatest opportunity he had found, and he intended to make full use of it.
First things first. He rummaged through his pack for some needle and thread, and attempted to bandage his wounds as best he could. He had no training in this, but how hard could it be? After that, he curled up on the dusty ground to rest, his back against a piece of broken masonry. He would pull through. He would survive. And he would kill the dragon-spawn. Every last one.
Heal Check, untrained(not sure if I can do that, but I'm trying): [roll0]

nyarlathotep
2012-03-21, 09:07 PM
The caravan enters Landsen through its northern gate unhindered. The walls provide protection and comfort, but there are still signs of the ongoing disasters to the north. Old churches and warehouse have been converted into communal living spaces for immigrants that could not find proper homes, roofs have leather coverings to prevent them from catching fire during seige, and people waiting outside of the overcrowded hospitals.
Diseases have become pervasive, not just infection by the supernatural elements, but also numerous diseases from simply having so many people in such close proximity to one another. Moving from patient to patient is a man wrapped in bandages and dripping viscous fluids from between the rags, his coat bears the symbol of the Festering King a cross and plate. Each time he touches one of those suffering from disease they seem to recover immediately and get up to leave. Upon spotting you he approaches the group, attempting to run but clearly lacking the leg strength to do so. His voice is thick and raspy indicative of a dmaged throat.

Man: Lady Joan I was worried that news of the auxillary forces being found was false. Where are the others?

--------

Malain's stitchings are not those of a trained doctor but they will have to do for now. The beast beside him begins fidgetting and talking in its sleep; most of the speech is in Auran, but into the Common or Infernal that the assassin can understand.

Roc: The New Dawn is coming. Teacher has promised the New Dawn is coming. Angels will pay for their deaths.

You have succeed at healing yourself a 1hp +your wisdom modifier, and you will heal one more ability point than normal this night if you can rest.

NotScaryBats
2012-03-22, 12:28 AM
Joan greets the man quickly, getting straight to business, "there was the wreckage of several carts on the road, as well as a Dragonblood trap along the road - giant pits filled with monstrous spiders. For better or for worse, these poor souls are all I could protect." She gestures at the caravan as they file about the city.

"Luckily, there are some staunch adventurous types amongst them, and we will be able to form a squad capable of defending your land from these beasts. Do you know where I can find Ms. Ashley? I'd like to report to her as well, if possible."

nyarlathotep
2012-03-22, 01:20 AM
Umm you actually only lost Malain in the attack.

Man: Oh I apologize I should have introduced by self first. I am Father George 3rd Cardinal of the Last Order of Constance. Although I am glad to see more living survivors that is not what I came here to investigate. I had come southward due to tales of undead auxiliary forces animated due to devotion and virtue rather than fear and vice.

As for Ms Ashley I believe she is at the southern harbor. A ship of some importance arrived earlier today and they have been preoccupied with it for some time.

Wavelab
2012-03-22, 01:46 AM
Siggeir merely watched as the people were interacting. He turned to Joan as soon as Father George stopped speaking and he asked "What are we planning on doing?"

DeusMortuusEst
2012-03-22, 05:07 AM
Anthony

As the battle ends Anthony slips back into his normal form, his terrifying shape reverting to that of a young child. He runs up to Istid and once again grabs her hand.
"Istid! Did they hurt you?" And even though his face is hidden behind the crystal mask there's no doubt that he is worried about her.
The rest of the journey to Landsen he walks silent besides the fey. As they reach the town he looks around, and feels a sting of loss and sadness. The crowds of refugees, the sick and lonely and the few trying to help. It all reminds him of the disaster that followed.
"Why do they do like this? It's only easier to find people in large groups. When you are tiny it's easier to hide..."

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-22, 10:55 AM
Les confused as he enters Landsend seeing big walls around the town he expected a roof to cover it like a house, but he had not expected many smaller houses inside the port. He sees many other oddities like cobbled roads and the market stalls which he believes to be a abnormally small houses. Les follows Joan as she seemed to be going somewhere intentionally, and now Les is further confused when we arrive at a large building labeled Doris's fish house (hope you don't mind my name) with sick travelers inside. "Why would they name it that I see know fish." he thinks to him self. As soon as anyone else in the party seems to have a moment to spare Les asks "Hey there _____ how about we get ourselves a somethin' to drink from whichever one of these buildin's has ale. I rarely get to spend my coin things unless a merchant travels the road through my forest."

Sneaky Weasel
2012-03-22, 11:58 PM
Malain sits back, nursing his wounds and thinking. The New Dawn? That didn't sound good. Some sort of plan, probably world threatening. He hated stuff like that. Well, there was nothing he could do for now except try to sleep and build up his strength. He would try to find out as much as he could on the morrow. For now, rest.
He wrapped his cloak around him, keeping a distance from the bird. Hopefully he would wake before it did. He had always been a light sleeper. Closing his eyes, he drifted off to sleep.
All the while building his hatred stronger and stronger.

NotScaryBats
2012-03-23, 03:49 AM
Joan nods at the man. "I apologize for the misunderstanding, Father George. It warms my ... It pleases me to see a priest of the Festering King again. You are doing the gods' work.

"To answer your question, however, there were others with me, and you can find them at the barracks more often than not. If you have not yet spoken with Simon, he spends his days with the clergy more often than not -- it seems much knowledge has been lost since these attacks began.

Here Joan pauses for a moment, looking the man up and down and judging him. She had much love for all the gods of the pantheon, and found that any revulsion the followers of the Festering King had instilled in her during life was gone now.

"I believe that there are more tombs, with more free undead like myself. What precisely is it you hope to learn about me and mine?" Joan leaves out mention of Caligulus for now.

When Siggeir speaks up, she turns to address the adventurers gathered around her. "I intend on meeting with Ms Ashley, the leader of this settlement. I have reported to her in the past, and must see if there is anything that has come up that requires my attention. Any of you that wish to accompany me may do so. I do request that we meet in six hours' time at the gates; the roads will need clearing and there will be much more to do before the Long Night. Please, you have all shown yourselves to be strong men and women -- and children -- I could certainly use your help in preparing the town for the trying times ahead.."

Wavelab
2012-03-23, 04:57 AM
"I shall accompany you." Siggeir said calmly, looking at Joan. He walked up to her and held his hand out towards the road "Shall we?"

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-23, 09:28 AM
Les follows along as with the party to meet Ms Ashley, but then darts around a corner to go to the bathroom. There are no outhouses in Les's woods so he has no idea were to go do his buisiness. He is back with the party before long though, and is thinking of things to ask this Ms.Ashley she seems like she would know how to behave in a town.

Kazyan
2012-03-23, 11:09 AM
Istid hugs Anthony, keeping him close. Him being a child, the size mismatch is not pronounced enough to bother her.

"I'll be at the gate for you," Istid pipes up at Joan's request. "But you that Ashley lady on your own. I guess I'll follow Les. He might walk into something awful." She shrugs and chuckles. "Come on, Anthony!" She strolls off in a random direction into the city. "Let me know if you spot him!"

Of course, she didn't notice Les following Joan at all.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-23, 11:33 AM
Les disappointed that nobody wanted to go and have a drink he will poke his head through windows looking for bottles or kegs and if he sees some mead he barge in and ask for it handing the owner a bag of mostly copper pieces, a few silver, some berries or leaves, and a rock. Then he will run back up to his companions. Les also remembers to restock the rocks for his sling and tries to pick up part of the cobbled street "Why won't you budge!"

nyarlathotep
2012-03-23, 02:30 PM
I am assuming that Anthony would follow Istid, if this is out of line just tell me and I can modify it.

Also I will be occasionally using alternate titles for some of the deities. So chances are if two names sound the same chances are they are the same guy, unless they are explicitly stated to be seperate. So the Festering King, the Plague Martyr, and the Suffering Lord are all the same guy.

Les finding what he is seeking in a tavern whose sign simply reads "Moe's". After being tossed some coinage the bartender looks it over and produces a large bodied bottle with a shark fin on the label.

Moe: There's wine made from sea grapes, but for a full bottle that'd cost you a gold piece. For this much In can give you hàkarl spirits, never is short supply of that with all the fishing we have. Word of warning though plug your nose the first time you drink it, its got an odor that could kill a horse.

He is shortly there after able to join back with Joan and Siggeir with little trouble as they are not moving particularly quickly.
----------

While wandering through the town Istid and Anthony find themselves near the waste water conduit, leading out into the ocean down current from the primary fishing bay, through and underground tunnel. Emerging from the tunnel is a man dressed in the satin coat of a Satum noble, but saturated by the blood running out its sleeves from some point underneath. Whatever face he has is obscured by the long uncut hair or a barbarian. He holds on leashes two smaller humanoid creatures, hunched over like beasts and naked save for executioner hoods that cover their heads.

Noble: There was once a forest owned by a great King.
And the King gave one homestead in this woods to each of his servants; to each so that he would work the land and multiply; and straightway to to journey.
The servant who had received the first homestead went and lived in it, and made four worths sons.
And likewise each servant after the first, gained worthy sons.
But he that had received a house deep in the woods far from the King's sight produced three prideful sons.
After a long time the King of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.
And so he that had received the first household came and brought his four sons saying, King, thou deliveredst unto me a household: behold, I have gained beside it four sons.
His King said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy King.
Likewise those who also that had received homesteads came and said, King, thou deliveredst unto us households: behold, we have gained sons beside them.
His lord said unto them, Well done, good and faithful servants; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee rulers over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy King.
Then he which had received the deep homestead came and said, King, thou deliveredst unto me a household: behold, I have gained beside it three sons.
The three sons however scorned their King and rebuked him saying, we are kings of our own domain, you art a wicked man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
And we shall have the homestead what is ours.
Their King answered and said unto them, Thou wicked and slothful servant: Thou oughtest have raised livestock instead of sons for at least then I might feast.
The King took therefore his hounds, and soldiers, and his poisons, and smote those prideful sons.
He then said to the servant of the deep household, I will leave for another journey, take therefore the household I have given you and produce worthies sons or beasts for slaughter.

As he recounts this verse the noble fades from view into the shadows of the conduit until he disappears, his houndmen with him.
-----------

On the way to Ms Ashley Father George continues to speak with Joan.

Father George: My order is made up of those who priests who still remain who refused the deathlords offer of immortality on the earthly realm. He are few and mostly limited to followers of my patron, the Plague Matyr, for one cannot suffer for the sake of others if they are incapable of feeling pain, and disciples of your own Wrapped King, for he believes that judging a man of his sins on earth violates their right to prove their worth.

The Red Man's followers have been forcibly converting the common folk and treating them needing in judgment as though they were already dead. Now with the deities of the living silent our patrons are the only ones left to defend souls from his claim to the right to punish them. What's more the Horned Hunter no long patrons the boarder between the underworld and ours in search of lost or escaped souls, but instead tracks those who still live but who have escaped the cities of the dead.

I was hoping that with the help of the auxiliaries we would be able to at least free the living who are held captive in the deathlords' cities. I know where they are being detained, but do not possess the physical might to take them by myself.

NotScaryBats
2012-03-23, 03:56 PM
Joan considers this. The Red Man was always a cruel deity, and she could understand this change -- but the Horned Hunter? Times were grim indeed.

"If that is the case, then I have a lead on the remaining auxiliaries. I recall several tombs up to the north -- though I am unsure if they have been opened by now or not. I believe that there are others forming a resistance group in the mountainous ruins of the giant civilization as well. When we move out, perhaps we can make contact with Caligulus, their leader, and entreat his aid."

Wavelab
2012-03-23, 05:12 PM
Siggeir watches as Les returns with a bottle of ale. Cheap he thought. He put is handed in his pocket and took out 100 gold coins. He handed them over to Les and said jokingly "Would you mind buying something proper the next time we have the chance?".

He saw Father George talking about the deathlords and thought about his own vampirism. He looked at Joan and whispered softly "He probably shouldn't find out about your massive amount of being dead."

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-23, 06:36 PM
"Thanks Moe" Les sais as he leaves and happily unquarks his bottle. Siggeir however could probably smell the infamous aroma of this beverage a mile away, and so Les acknowledges his companions request to upgrade to a finer brew, and ties the new coin purse to his belt.

NotScaryBats
2012-03-23, 06:49 PM
Joan bristles at Siggeir's comment, perhaps taking him too seriously. "I gave my life for the protection of the people of Constance. The gulf between myself and those who pervert the true will of the Pantheon could not be larger. I trust that the good Father understands this, but do you?"

Wavelab
2012-03-23, 07:01 PM
"I understand what you are saying. I'm having trouble understanding you though. But no matter, let's get on with business."

NotScaryBats
2012-03-24, 04:54 PM
"Very well, then." Joan says, mulligied but mystified. She continues on to Ms Ashley, thinking of possible routes that would allow her to reach all objectives in one outing. She'd need to look at a map...

Kazyan
2012-03-24, 08:05 PM
Istid watched the...cultist?...speak verses. She approached him as he retreated, concerned about the two people he held onto as if they were slaves. After the end of his verse, she sped up.

"...Wait! Wait!" the nixie spoke up as she ran, but tripped over a stray rock she was unaware of and vaulted facefirst into the cobblestone. Undeterred, she stood up again and wiped the dirt from her face. "Bleh."

She stared into the tunnel, considering whether to chase after the three. The water here looked polluted, and she didn't know whether to appreciate the mere presence of something to possibly swim in, or to be revolted.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-25, 12:54 AM
Takes a deep swig of hàkarl spirits "I can go get you *hic* a map... Joan. *hic*"

nyarlathotep
2012-03-25, 07:13 PM
(to avoid anarchism the barrel is merely a fire proofed wooden barrel rather than a metal one)

Istid's investigations do not find the Noble but they do find something within the tunnel, a secret alcove.Within 50 feet of the tunnel's entrance there is a bend obscured from the outside, within is a small living space consisting of a bed of dirty blankets, a crate turned into a makeshift table, and a barrel fire for light. Standing in the room's center is a man wearing the same sort of hood as the houndmen, but who is standing up straight. Besides the hood his cloths are a ratty mess that one would expect from a sewer dwelling hermit, save for the necklace of human teeth around his neck. As soon as he sees the pair of party members draw near he begins to speak, and the slurring makes it clear that the teeth are his own.

Hermit: Yes, yes! The Guide said you would be here on your trip. You will stop the dead ones and the live ones and prove that we are the worthy sons! Thank you for protecting the son of the King winged one. Even though you are not beholden to his service you perform his work. *he then turns to face Anthony* Prince, you must go north follow the Guide to the north. You must awaken the Angels beneath the mountains an show the King that we stand with him against the dragons and the dead.
-------------------
The rest of the party reaches the bay where Ms Ashley waits with a small group of guards and Joan's spiritual advisor and retainer Simon Monnic. The mayor is currently busy speaking to one of the guards who looks very tired, so Simon approaches the group.

Simon: Milady, are these new companions the capable warriors we were hoping for, and more importantly are they trustworthy enough to share the latest reconnaissance report with?
-------------------
Malain awakes shortly before his draconic companion does. The slowing in its snoring before waking up, alerting the assassin that it was time for more activity.

Roc: Brother we must set out to find the as many other family members as we can. You still have keen eyes, and my hearing fails me within magma mountains. Would you be my eyes to find the others so that we won't be later to the New Dawn.

NotScaryBats
2012-03-25, 10:03 PM
"Simon, it is good to see you again. Yes, when the caravan was attacked by a roc and terror birds, these two were very helpful -- a pair of others left to explore the town, and will meet up with us later. I'd like to introduce you to Siggeir, the tactician and Lester, the Druid. Father George has traveled here to looking for citizens of Constance like us, Simon.

"You three, this is Bishop Simon Monnic, my closest advisor and friend. Ms Ashley looks busy at the moment, behind him.

"Now that introductions are over, what have you found, Simon?"

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-25, 11:32 PM
"Pleasure ta' meet ya Simon. *hic*" It dawns on Les that it probably was a bad idea to get drunk before visiting important people.

Wavelab
2012-03-26, 01:21 AM
"Afternoon. And concerning your question of us being trustworthy; I'd have to say that depends on whether you are." Siggeir said, staring deep into the man's eyes.

Sneaky Weasel
2012-03-26, 07:42 PM
Malain watched warily as the dragonspawn awoke. He remained still as it clambered slowly to it's feet, stretching out it's massive wings in the cool morning air. A shudder of revulsion went through him as he gazed upon this perversion of nature, for the first time getting a good look at it. His mouth filled with spittle, and he had to look away and breath deeply to avoid vomiting. He was just as bad as this thing, wasn't he? Just a twisted parody of a real man.
He shook off his disgust as the monster spoke, asking him to serve as it's eyes. And there was that New Dawn thing again. It filled Malain's heart with foreboding, for whatever it was it couldn't be good for humanity.
He blinked his watery eyes, the wind making them sting. Although not nearly as keen as before his transformation, he still had excellent vision. The better to see how twisted this world has become. He stands up, pain shooting through his joints as he does so. Flexing his hands, he flips his knife in a circle, practicing a few parries and jabs. The poison still stiffened his every movement, but it was getting better.
"I will be your eyes, and seek out our brethren. The New Dawn awaits. Let us go." He steps forward into the beast's talons, preparing for his journey into darkness.

nyarlathotep
2012-03-27, 01:13 PM
I probably should have described Simon a bit more. The basic idea is that he is dressed in robes like an Anglican minister, that were once very colorful but are now faded and dull. Additionally his face is obscured by a shroud and large blue spectacles.

As Siggeir leans in close he is able to see past the bishop's tinted spectacles into eyes that are withered husks illuminated by a dull blue glow.

Simon: I proved my loyalty when I first gave up my rightful place in the afterlife to accompany the Lady Joan in defending the next generation.

After his verbal rebuke the tomb priest pulls away from the vampire and turns to speak better to the entire group.

Simon: A badly damaged ironclad broke through the endless storm. All but one of the passengers were dead. The only survivor was a badly savaged man who touched one of the guards investigating and immediately morphed into a perfect copy of him sending the original into a coma. Unfortunately the copy seems to be utterly convinced that he is the original and has been suffering an emotional breakdown now that we have showed him the original.

Now the other guards have refused to investigate the ship further. Additionally they are trying to figure out what to do with the shapeshifter.

---------
Malain's dragonspawn companion stretches its wings, breaking newly grown scales that constrict its articulation. They clearly cause him pain and agony from the puss and blood at their base where it digs into the beast's skin. After struggling against the air for what feels like an eternity but it likely only seconds the roc is able to lift itself and its passenger into the air.

They sweep off to the north using any updrafts possible and sailing into the unknown, the north that has been devoured by dragonkind.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-27, 01:35 PM
Les takes another swig from an almost empty bottle of spirits and seems to only be standing with support from his walking stick. "Did ya put da guy in a field of *hic* of dat anti-magic spell to stop the shapey shiftin'."

nyarlathotep
2012-03-27, 01:45 PM
Simon: That was my first choice. When we did that his form remained the same, but he lost any ability to move or speak.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-27, 02:46 PM
"Well in dat case maybe is own kind knows how t' fix em' ya can raise one o' his buds if I can get em' out o' de' shipy ting."

NotScaryBats
2012-03-27, 02:52 PM
"Yes, that is a good plan. I doubt I can be rendered comatose by any means that would also work on a living creature, News that something made it through the storm is very good indeed; it means there is a way." Joan realizes why Ms. Ashley looks so tired and concerned, now. It was a good idea to come here first, then. She nods to herself.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-29, 10:02 AM
"Well let's get a goin'. *hic*" Les hobbles off in a direction not knowing if it is the right way, but trying not to move as fast while this intoxicated.

Wavelab
2012-03-29, 04:32 PM
"May I spend some time alone with the subject? Just a few minutes before we start anything. I think I might have an idea on how to solve his problem. All I require is a room and him to be fully restrained." Siggeir said, thinking about what he can do.

Kazyan
2012-03-29, 04:37 PM
Istid stared blankly at the ill-looking human. Partway through his speech, she began to chuckle, but let him finish. "Winged? These are fins!" she tapped a uncovered spine close to her right hand, then winced as she felt a sharp pain at the edge of the dry webbing. "And it's about to crack. That's awful. Oh, who's the King?" She wrapped her arms around Anthony's shoulders. "Angels? You're confusing me. I don't know a lot; I'm not originally from Landsend."

Sneaky Weasel
2012-03-29, 07:17 PM
Malain squints through the driving wind, trying to keep an eye out for any dragonspawn below. Now that he didn't have to worry about being killed, he actually found flying rather enjoyable. He was moving far faster than he could ever hope to on his own, and there was no pain throbbing through his legs. The wind stung his eyes, but the majestic vistas below more than made up for it. For once, he felt almost free.
Death was not a fear for him. If he died here, in the cool air and sunlight, that would be a good way to go. It would almost be a boon. But no. Revenge must come first. Then rest.
He focused once more on the ground below, keeping a lookout for anything of interest.
Spot: [roll0]

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-29, 10:34 PM
Runing back for a second after hearing Siggeir, Les says "Well uhh... Siggeir ya can yap at de existin' fella *hic* and me and Joan can explore dat boat." then stumbles in his drunkenness.

nyarlathotep
2012-03-31, 09:42 PM
Sorry for moving through this post a bit quickly, but I'm trying to make up for lost time.

While taking careful care not to touch him the group of guards guides the doppelganger to follow Siggeir to the port's old trade goods inspection house, now disused do to the lack of trade and lack of smuggling even if there were goods being exchanged.

Doppelganger: I swear I swear. I'm the real Edgar, I don't know what that corpse is but I'm the real Edgar!

To be continued via PM

Shortly after Siggeir moves off you purpose your plan to Mayor Ashley.

Ashley: Thank you for volunteering to explore the ship. After what happened to Edgar and the scene they saw in the next room I don't think I would be able to convince anyone else to enter. Amongst the corpses we found a passage leading to the lower levels but covered in holy scripts of sealing to a god none of us recognized. If you're going to go down there I would advise doing to only with extreme caution.

Following that quick debriefing Joan and a hobbling Les enter the iron leviathan. Its exterior is covered in pock marks and dents obviously from impacts with large rocks, but also several long rents that cannot be so easily explained. The entrance is an airtight door sealed with circular tumble handle that has been opened by previous exploration.

The first room is a preparation room with numerous pieces of clothing for various types of environments, parkas and snow shoes for tundra travel, air-tanks for diving or high altitude travel, and at least one pressure suit for deep sea diving. This room is relatively intact save for the signs of struggle with the doppelganger that ended up outside before your group arrived. The door leading further into the ship is a similar airtight apparatus to the outer door.

The next room however is a fair less pleasant sigh to behold. The room was obviously once a main control room, filled with steering mechanisms, valves to release pressure on the boilers below, and bells to alert the crew to emergencies. Now however the room is covered in swaths of blood and festering gore. At six mostly whole, but headless, bodies of men in black fullplate are laying against the stern wall as though placed there with great care or that they sat down there of their own accord. Scattered throughout the room are enough disconnected body part to make at least half a dozen more victims, but they appear to have been clothed in something much less durable than these knights. The only exit from this room save for the one you entered through is a metal hatch leading directly downward in the room's center. It is covered in pieces of parchment in a language neither Lester nor Joan can recognize, though both of them can see some familiar words and phrases, indicating that it likely has a come root language with human common.

Both of the investigator's keen senses can pick up a sound coming from beyond the hatch. It is the sound of great blizzard's winds racing through a narrow canyon and echoing for a full half minute before a new gust of wind comes to drown out the old one.
-------------
Back with Istid.

Hermit: Am sorry miss, terribly sorry for reminding you of injury. I cannot see well and I was told you were a f- f- *he stumbles over the syllable as though it is foreign to him* fae, and assumed your veils were wings. It is always good to meet another of the sea, Dagon is of the sea and he give us food.

Sorry lost track. The King and his Angels are not of Landsend, neither am I. I am from north, far far north. He and his Angels are the creators of this world, well by proxy. They are the creators of the sun who in turn created the world, and after the sun's betrayal he has decided to give the sun's children a chance to show their loyalty, to escape his damnation.
--------------
Malain's observations are met by nothing more than coniferous forest for the first hour of flight, but just after he begins to lose focus something emerges from the foliage. There is a broken keep tower atop a hillside, long abandoned by humans, but now the abode of dragonbloods. It is under siege by undead attackers. Within are the animalistic degenerations of humans and dwarves infected by dragonblight. They are directed by a gorilla sized man with enormous leathery wings growing from his solder blades. Also within the compound, visible through the keep's dis-repaired roof, are at least a dozen uninfected humanoids huddled together under makeshift blankets of burlap and straw.

Outside of the keep is an gigantic creature at least twenty feet long that resembles the rotted front half of a humanoid torso, it's spinal cord trialling off into nothing but rot shortly before the pelvis would appear. It's flesh is grey and covered in yellow sores oozing pus, whose very touch causes the ground to blacken and crack. This creature's head is that of a skeletal horse's safe increased in size so that it could comfortably sit atop any elephant's body, and housing a tongue longer than the head it belongs to. Malain, not having been much for church going isn't sure what sin this horrible abomination represents but its followers are easy to peg. Swarming around the creature are eight vampire spawn, embodiments of pride and currently the foot soldiers working on scaling the keep's walls while their master batters down the main gate.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-31, 10:57 PM
Les throws up seeing the gruesome sight although it does not help that he is drunk. After some effort he clears his mind and readies himself. "Joan I think some magic is in order." I cast Longstrider on Joan and myself then I cast barkskin on myself and I cast Magic stone twice for a total of 6 magic stones.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-01, 03:54 PM
Joan examines the scene with a cool detachment that only an undead like herself could employ. These men will need proper funeral rights when Simon is free, she thinks to herself.

As Les evacuates his stomach on the floor, Joan smiles reassuringly at him, saying, "Magic will be a good idea, I think. Gird yourself, Les, who knows what might await us belowdecks."

She readies her shield and closes the door leading outside; if they were defeated, hopefully the beast would still be locked in here, unable to ravage the city. With a final glance at Les to ensure he is prepared, she removes the wards and swings the door open, her undead Darkvision piercing the shadows below.

"Be you demon, beast, or monster, I am Joan of Constance and I have come to investigate this ship. If you are innocent, you have nothing to fear from me -- but if you are wicked, come and meet your end by my hand." She draws her sword swiftly and enters the next room, ready for anything.

Sneaky Weasel
2012-04-01, 11:45 PM
Malain cursed vehemently when he saw the battle below. He should just leave the dragonspawn to their fate, let the undead kill them. But he had to keep up a pretense, and the undead were almost as bad...Damn it!
"Brother! Below us, we need to help them!" His words felt like ashes in his mouth, almost choking him with the horrible irony. It felt like he was betraying every person who the dragonspawn had killed, like he was breaking his promise of vengeance. But he knew the for true vengeance, he needed to do this. At least it was undead attacking, and not people. He didn't know what he would do in that situation, and he hoped he would never find out.

nyarlathotep
2012-04-02, 01:17 PM
Past the door Joan and Les encounter a grim scene. This was a mess hall with two tables long enough to seat at least sixteen crewmen at a time. They are both smashed and covered in dried blood. Directly beside the door they entered from is the body of a man in scarlet wizard's robes, who is much more intact than those on the upper deck, but still appears to have died of violence. His neck is splayed open by two large claw mark, leaving his once black beard caked with hardened plasma.

On the opposite wall how is something that immediately draws the eyes of both investigators. It is a creature resembling a man ten feet tall and composed of the skin and bones of other men, their starving emaciated faces bulging out of chest and shoulder. It head is that of a skeletal deer, and is instantly recognizable as a wendigo, the result of one human being feasting upon another not only out of necessity but also out of a perverse pleasure. It is impaled by sword glowing with a slight golden aura, and covered in runes of the same language as the holy scripts encountered before. The beast is struggling with all its might, but appears unable to move the sword in any way.

Behind the creature is a hallway leading to cabins that have all been broken into and debris would indicate their occupants were murdered therein or dragged out fighting. There is also a door to the still red hot boiler room, that was apparently automated enough to allow the ship to land.

Upon seeing the two visitors the wendigo opens its mouth and produces a sound like the wind they had heard earlier, only this time intermixed are sound not unlike shrill whispers that can be understood as the common tongue.

Wendigo: Go ahead. Kill me for your red cloaked masters, but you will never take the north. We will always be coming for you and your flesh. The south will be our farmland, and we will reap it as we please.
---------------
Malain's winged companion cranes its neck attempting to get a whiff of the enemies below. It then begin accelerating down towards them.

Roc: I can smell the big one, if there are more I can't sense them, it's smell masks almost anything else moving in the area. You have fast sharp knives, I will drop you on top and then you can attack from atop its back while I circle and tear.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-02, 01:48 PM
"Well what do ya say Joan? I guess we should kill him sense its evil and all, but he could know somethin'?"

NotScaryBats
2012-04-02, 02:12 PM
"Unexpected." Joan says slowly, trying to wrap her mind around what is going on here. If this creature is from the north, where did this fancy ship come from? The same place? How come no one recognizes the design? What is this language? Red cloaks...

Religion check to see if I can tell anything about the significance of the cloaks, wards, etc. [roll0]

"Your death needn't be senseless. Tell me where you hail from and what your story is, that I might give you proper rites upon your passing." She addresses the monstrosity without irony or scorn, but genuine pity. It would be a shame for any soul to be lost in these trying times.

Kazyan
2012-04-02, 08:02 PM
"Whose damnation, again? Umm...Dagon's not the King, right? I think I'm getting it." Istid nods. She doesn't actually understand everything the hermit says; the point of pain on her fin distracts her. "What are we supposed to do for the sun, then? I know I can fight, because I endure hits really well. Is that a good thing for him?"

Sneaky Weasel
2012-04-03, 12:15 AM
Malain swallows uneasily as he examines the massive undead below. He hated undead. They didn't have the decency to die when the were killed, and they were at least twice as hard to eliminate then regular foes. But he had some tricks up his sleeve when it came to dealing with them, so he wasn't too worried. Flames kill most anything, after all. The only thing worrying him was the poison that still made him as weak and slow as a kitten.
"Alright, drop me when I say now." He watched the creature as the roc circled, waiting for it to get close enough. He didn't want to break a limb falling on it, after all.
"Now!" As the roc lets go, Malain goes into a dive, angling his body so that he lands on the creature without damage, the breath leaving his body as he collides with it. Not stopping for an instant, he raises his blade in the air, twirling it. As he does so, flames spring up along it's length, crackling in the cool morning air. He stabs it down with a vicious yell, and the flames flash out in an explosion of blue fire, smashing into the vampire spawn as well as the undead he targeted.
Tumble Check, to eliminate falling damage: [roll0]

Attacking with Death Mark: [roll1] (I'm not sure if falling on it would count as a charge attack, if so, add 2 to the attack roll)

Damage from Death Mark: [roll2] and [roll3] Fire Damage to the undead targeted and everything in a radius depending on it's size. If it's Huge, which seems most likely, then it's everything in a 30 ft. radius. Reflex Save DC 19 halves damage.
Hoping to take out a couple Spawn.

nyarlathotep
2012-04-03, 06:46 PM
The ship's hold the wendigo pauses for a bit, apparently suprised at what Joan had said.

Wendigo: "You're not some zombie raised by the Red Wizards then are you. How far did this ship get then, fascinating? I'll tell you my story then.

I was one of a dozen children sent to a shrine of the great lord Dagon. We were told it was an honor, we were to become his vessels on earth, we would be great soldiers capable of defeating the Red Wizards, the Glass Princes, and all other enemies of Donn. I was the only church goer among us, the rest were too fidgety and would run around and play while the old shamans were talking, so I knew what his vessels were. I knew that I had to eat the others and become a wendigo.

Actually consuming the flesh was no big problem, after all in hard winters we ended up eating those who died in one way or another, I understand that is taboo among you Southerner who have enough farmland to get through the winter. I hadn't however up until that point killed anyone, at least not anyone who was still fit enough to fight back. It was horrible, but it gave me the strength to fight you white skinned fattlings, and did your kind ever taste so good. How do you taste like flesh from heaven? You eat the same wheat and corn you feed your livestock, but they taste like ash, just like the plants you feed them.

As for my funeral rites. I should have been back on the battlefield, to be consumed by my squire when I fell. Here there is no funeral for me, so far from those pure of blood and hard of spirit."

With that the wendigo stops talking and stops struggling against the sword having apparently accepted his fate.

As for your knowledge check you remember that humans were originally colonists from a far off homeland, and that most heraldry and holy symbols from that land used red as a prominent color. It is possible that this ship is from the homeland for some reason and as a result the holy symbols are likely harder to decipher because they would include long names of nobility due to old humanity primarily practicing ancestor worship.
-------
The hermit continues to talk crazy at Istid.

Hermit: No Dagon is the King's son and servant. All of the stars were the King's servants including our sun, but he betrayed the King, and was cast out. We must prove that we do not follow him. We need to get the son of the King and the son of Man *nodding to Anthony* to the mountains where Angels sleep. There we will show we are good children and help the Angels kill the worms and dragonspawn who seek to help the sun. They are making a New Dawn that will damn all of us like they were damned.
-------------
Already weakened by the sun overhead, five vampire spawn turn to ash when the fire sweeps over them. There remaining three begin running up the torso creature's back, but only one can reach Malain and attack him with any force. The creature itself reacts by lashing its tongue out toward the assassin and grabs hold of him before an attack by the roc's talons tearing its mucus covered appendage forces it to release him.

Two hits my friend, but you partner interrupted the grapple and dealt some damage.

damage from vampire spawn: [roll0] and one negative level.
torso beast: [roll1] roll a fort save verse strength damage.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-03, 08:38 PM
"Well seein' what direction you came from it would seem that you are from northern part of some more southern continent. We up here in the norther north are havin' trouble with dragons as they are spreadin' a dragonic disease of sorts as a group of undead meanies spread additional evil, Joan here is not with them though. Now if you don't mind we would also like to ask about the ship, the red wizards, and any other passengers cause it's our job to be investigatin' them types o' things."
Retyped my old post sorry for the misunderstanding.

nyarlathotep
2012-04-03, 10:17 PM
Wait I misread the text I thought the windigo was still alive. Retyping my post now.

He is still alive. I was just letting psiclone have a chance to respond first. He just stopped thrashing. The sword is just a seal, preventing him from moving not actively bleeding him out. Wendigos don't really have running blood. Worst that will happen is starvation.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-03, 10:19 PM
"This ship seems to have crossed the Great Storm, to our land long ago settled by humans. I cannot speak for the political situation from your homeland, but here humans don't have the luxury of fighting amongst ourselves. As Les said, the undead under the corrupt Lords of Death and the Dragonborn under the dread Linnorms threaten our very existence.

"If you could aid us in any way, your information would be invaluable to us." Joan is amazed that this ship actually crossed the great storm... If they could somehow reverse-engineer it, then there would be hope for the citizens of Landsend. Still, the wendigo's tale did not bode well for what sort of civilization the citizens would find...

Hopefully, they would learn more from the wendigo before Joan was forced to end it.

Wavelab
2012-04-03, 10:19 PM
When do our PM's continue?

nyarlathotep
2012-04-03, 10:41 PM
When I stop being dumb

Upon hearing Joan and Lester's response the Wendigo stops utilizing its wind speech and lets out a weak chuckle from a throat obviously unused to actual vocalization, before once again opening its jaws and allowing speech to resume.

Wendigo: To think that beyond those horrible storms were lands untouched by Red Wizards taint. Where my brothers' and sisters' children would not be forced to eat from their fellow man. Alas it is too late for me, I cannot eat anything other than other humanoids, and I have very little knowledge of the wizards' machines. My lands have no metal and knowledge of machines is worthless when they rust overnight from the ice storms.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-03, 11:14 PM
"Very well, then. I wish there were another way for this to end, but you may rest now, warrior." Joan feels an odd kinship for this man, who became undead to serve his people, and faces his destruction with honor and conviction. No honeyed words to convince them to free it, no hateful curses. In another life, the two may have had much to talk about, but Joan had people counting on her for survival, and releasing a flesh-eater was just not something that she could do. She grasps her sword and says a prayer.

If she is not stopped, Joan executes the wendigo, with some remorse.

Wavelab
2012-04-03, 11:33 PM
Siggeir rushes in just as Joan is about to execute the wendigo. "No!" He shouts. "Can I do it?"

Back with an entrance.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-04, 12:39 AM
Joan raises her sword and stops it when Siggeir bursts into the room. "What? You... want to do it? Why." She glares at the man, not understanding his request. He wasn't here to stop the wendigo's death, but ... Took some perverse pleasure in taking life? Was this the doppleganger? She waited for his response suspiciously.

Wavelab
2012-04-04, 12:49 AM
"Oh no I don't really want to." Siggeir said. "I merely find outrageous statements a good way to get attention. I actually just wanted to tell you that this is the real Edgar, and that he will be accompanying us from now on."

Before Joan could even think about Edgar he quickly said "If I may ask, why do you want to kill him?"

NotScaryBats
2012-04-04, 01:05 AM
"I find that difficult to believe. This wendigo has shared information about the land through the great storm. How could anyone from Landsend know about such things? Or, am I misunderstanding who Edgar is?

"As for why he deserves to die, a wendigo must sustain itself on the flesh of intelligent humanoids -- it cannot safely live amongst us. Undead that prey upon the living are a scourge that I cannot permit to exist. He has prepared himself for this eventuality, and I do not take the extinguishing of a live lightly."

Wavelab
2012-04-04, 01:10 AM
"I meant, this is Edgar." he said as he pulled someone in from outside. He couldn't help but feel a little threatened as she revered to undead that feed off the living, considering he himself did.

"I presume you hate vampires just as much then?"

nyarlathotep
2012-04-04, 01:38 AM
The entrance of Edgar and the vampire causes the wendigo to stir once more.

Wendigo: Edgar? Is that the name those wizards gave you when they molded you out of wax, or is that the name of the poor sap whose skin you're wearing?

Edgar: What do you mean? I'm a man, that body was.

Wendigo: That body was the man whose mind and appearance you stole after sealing me in this ship for your masters. For all their skill they gave you fake skin, fake memories, fake blood, and even a fake soul, but could never make you smell like anything other than a candle.

Edgar: No no no. I can remember my wive, my friends, my.

Wendigo: Just like you remembered the life of that knight you copied during my last battle, and the troll who operated the boilers before that, and the girl you used to infiltrate our canal controls before that.

At this point Edgar collapses sobbing and his begins to visibly deteriorate into a mess of melted wax.

Wavelab
2012-04-04, 01:41 AM
"You suck." He said to the wendigo. "I emplore you to kill it now Joan."

He goes to the pile of wax and starts to comfort him "It's alright. You're unique in your own way, don't let him bother you."

NotScaryBats
2012-04-04, 02:05 AM
Yet again, Joan is surprised by how quickly events are unfolding around her. Siggeir must have known the Doppleganger wasn't the real Edgar -- what was his game? And the wendigo proved itself useful once again. She wished there was a way to recruit it to the path of goodness, but flesh was like a drug to these creatures, and there would always be a hunger in its mind.

She paused for a moment and looked at Les.

"What do you think about all of this, Druid? At this point I fear we must bring the authorities in to judge these two."

Wavelab
2012-04-04, 02:16 AM
Siggeir had to act quickly. He got up and sighed.

"Yes I know that he wasn't the real Edgar. I do not need to be a mind reader to know that. You see, he is a friend I met long ago while I still ruled of my kingdom. He doesn't have a proper sense of what is right and what is wrong. I attempted to show him that path by letting him adventure with us, but it seems to have been rendered moot. I ask you to reconsider the actions you want to take. For if you want to imprison me for trying to teach someone morals, then you are truly evil." Siggeir said, with a small tear dripping down his face.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-04, 02:40 AM
"You met someone who has crossed the Great Storm before today? Were you aware of its origins at the time? How did it go from your... kingdom... across the Storm, to this boat, and then back across the Storm to where we are, now?

"Regardless, it is responsible for attacking the real Edgar, and rendering him comatose. I pray that its... Current situation will lift whatever spell it cast upon him. In the future, perhaps you should not so lightly free a criminal from its bonds."

Wavelab
2012-04-04, 02:45 AM
"He was not on the other side of the great storm when I met him. This is one of the main reasons I wanted to speak to him further." He looked back to the pile of wax.

"And can something be considered truly immoral if the person didn't know what they were doing at the time?"

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-04, 10:43 AM
"Well if my opinion matters the Wendigo must die or stay pined to that wall so long as he is not bein' a risk to the livin' folks. And if Wax Edgar returns his body to Edgar then I suppose I can forgive him, although a bit more background on him would be nice. Above all I am disappointed that we cannot send folks through the storm to safety."

nyarlathotep
2012-04-04, 03:14 PM
Edgar's features have been dissolved completely dissolved leaving nothing more than a roughly humanoid wax sculpture, with a crude hole for a mouth. The figure stands up from its prior position, and begins facing Siggeir before speaking. Its voice is nothing like that of Edgar, instead being a monotone sound constructed by out of ambient buzzing sounds.

Edgar?: The western realms have fallen to the Giants and the Star God's followers. The Scarlet Confederacy is calling on all of its colonists and all other humans of blood true. We were attacked in transit by the forces of Donn, one of whom is now trapped on our ship. I was only able to include a message in this construct to be triggered by the presence of a full blooded human in the hopes that beyond the storms there is some power great enough to save our homeland.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-04, 04:01 PM
Les pauses a moment in shock and a moment longer when realizing that Edgar was referring to him then speaks slowly "Well I suppose it would be nice to save two continents I if I knew how. Wait a second did you say giants? I thought they were all killed off."

nyarlathotep
2012-04-04, 04:56 PM
Edgar?: Be warned I only have contain preprogrammed responses, some message may be outside of my bounds to answer. The giants, or Fomorians, were for a very long time thought to be extinct, with modern sitings being attributed to drunken fools and folktales, but in the last three decades they have emerged in force, led by a Khan named Chronson. He claims to be the direct descendant of the legendary titan Chronus, and his attacks coincided with the lengthening of days and nights. The giants' reemergence has also triggered attacks by the a species known as the mi-go who claim that they are destroyers sent by the Star Gods to exterminate "failled species".

Kazyan
2012-04-04, 05:15 PM
"But how can stars be servants? Unless the King is really powerful. Can gods even do that?" Istid slowly scratches the back of her opposite hand, careful not to pull too hard on scales, and leans up against the wall. "I'm...I'm not making sense of this. Why are you here? This isn't the nicest place to live, you know."

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-04, 05:34 PM
"Extermination hmmm... well that doesn't sound very fun. So where does me being a human come in can other races not stop the giants or mi-go?"

Sneaky Weasel
2012-04-04, 05:56 PM
Malain is thrown backward by the force of the vampire's blow, his head reeling. He can feel his very essence draining away as the creature moves to strike again. Then the torso monster's tongue smashes into him and wraps around his waist, his ribs cracking like dry kindling. Luckily his unlikely companion rips away it's tongue before it can get a firm grip on him, but the damage is already done.
I'm on my last legs here. One more punch from that spawn and I'm dead. I have to get away. Gritting his teeth with the pain, he awkwardly leaps past the vampires, twisting and tumbling to avoid their attacks. Once he is on the ground, he runs up to the wall, his legs trembling with the effort of running. Without stopping, he jumps unto the wall, black energy coalescing around his hand and feet. Like some sort of twisted spider, he scuttles up the wall as fast as he can, trying to make it inside before the spawn catch him.
Tumble check, to make it past the spawn: [roll0]
Using Dance of the Spider to climb the wall, at 20 ft. movement. It is amusing to note that Malain is actually faster at climbing than running.:smallamused:
Edit: There could be no better time to roll a natural twenty. The dice-gods are with me today.:smallcool:

nyarlathotep
2012-04-04, 06:04 PM
At questions of his reason for living here the Hermit seems to lose much of his past excitement, and sighs before slouching onto his home's stool.

Hermit: I am here because the gods guided me here, the star gods, to serve their master the King. I chose this abode because to do otherwise would put a burden on the people of this city, and a good servant does not cause more work. I must be helpful to gain forgiveness for my weakness. I let them all die, my faith was not strong enough to save them from the dragons. I was at Krone's capital on the day the great serpent landed in our lake, the monster Fàfnir. The mayor's son slew the beast but its blood killed all of them, I couldn't cure them. My faith it wasn't strong enough, I had to kill the blood soaked infants. My faith wasn't strong enough, they starved too afraid of the curse to eat anything. My faith wasn't strong enough, Fàfnir was reborn from the son's boy while I treated him. My faith wasn't strong enough.

At this point the hermit descends into a series of sobs while repeating "My faith wasn't strong enough" over and over.
---------------------
Edgar?: Demihumans are able to fight to prove they are above their base blood contaminants, but all other races are monsters that cannot be trusted. They are only permissible as slaves and servants that require constant supervision.

Kazyan
2012-04-04, 06:21 PM
Istid's face slowly shifts into one of worry, empathic sorrow for the hermit. Though she really had trouble keeping up, she regretted bringing him into this state.

At least she knew something, now: to kill the Fàfnir. The prospect of possibly getting to do it in water made her think it was doable. She sat down next to the hermit, then slowly reached into her haversack and pulled out her psicrystal. She reached up to place it in his hands, but if he would not reciprocate, it would be placed on the ground.

"...The 'dead ones' made my family die. I...I know what it maens to lose everyone like that." She looked up at Anthony, then bit her lip and ran one finger over the graven images of the late nixies on the crystal. "About the Fàfnir, that's something to get revenge on." Istid thought for a moment, not quite at in an emotional state that would bring her to cry--not that nixies could cry, anyway. "You can't make your faith stronger. But maybe I can kill the the Fàfnir again and make things a little better? I can do that." Istid nodded.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-04, 06:59 PM
"Well I don't see why your creators would trust me more than someone who has fought for you already, I may need to talk to some of your lands humans about slavery. But yes I will help as soon as I save my own homeland, you know how it is."

Wavelab
2012-04-04, 07:01 PM
Siggeir looked at the wax model and said "You look disgusting. I preferred your other form."

NotScaryBats
2012-04-04, 07:20 PM
Joan looks at the wendigo and raises her sword once more. "Peace be with you." she says solemnly as she executes it.

She turns to the wax golem and grimaces. "I am unsure how far anything from this other land can be trusted. But it seems like, no matter who you believe, things are no better on the other side of the Great Storm. Perhaps we should use discretion in who we tell this information to, to prevent despair among the populace."

Wavelab
2012-04-04, 07:33 PM
"Alright, I'll go tell the bartender. I'm sure he doesn't spread rumours right? Siggeir said, trying to annoy Joan to the point where she forgets about his Edgar incident.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-04, 08:55 PM
"This is not the time to be joking Siggeir."

nyarlathotep
2012-04-04, 10:17 PM
Joan brings down her sword on the wendigo's head rending its brow in twain. This looses a horrible wail of a wind rushing through twisting caverns, and with it comes a light blue vapor rushing up through the ship and out into the air outside. After this flurry of activity the wendigo's body collapses into a heap of barely recognizable bones and skins. The sword binding it shines brightly and then its aura dims, retreating into the runes running along its blade and leaving the blade itself to the natural gleam of metal alone.

The wax creature does not respond to this or any of the groups other statements that are not direct questions, simply standing passively.
--------------
Malain's climb up the walls is greeted by the winged dragonspawn he saw earlier in the keep. His chest puffs out and then releases a gout of green flame that destroys the two vampires spawn scaling the wall after him. Meanwhile his avian companion continues to tear at the torso creature.

Winged Humanoid: Welcome I had not known we had brothers so small. We'll have to talk later once the bigger one is dead.
---------------
The Hermit stops sobbing and smiles at Istid.

Hermit: Thank you fae one. I will make preparations to leave soon. There is still so much traveling to do.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-04, 11:05 PM
"Well this is a lot to take in. Shall we push on though there is more ship left."

Wavelab
2012-04-04, 11:08 PM
Siggeir smiles faintly at Les. He watches the Wendigo's death, calmly almost bored.

OOC:

By the way Nyarlathotep I never did get to thank you for destroying my doppleganger :smalltongue:

nyarlathotep
2012-04-04, 11:24 PM
You also never made the knowledge check to figure out that your doppelganger was a wax golem. Oh 2nd edition how I love thee.

Wavelab
2012-04-04, 11:26 PM
You also never made the knowledge check to figure out that your doppelganger was a wax golem. Oh 2nd edition how I love thee.

Dude... Ok yeah you're an awesome DM.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-05, 02:47 AM
"I pray that you will find peace in the afterlife." Joan says, before turning to face the room. She lowers her blade to her side. "Can you tell if this sword is magical? If it has special undead-sealing properties, that would be quite useful in the long night to come. I cannot tell if it was a spell cast upon the sword or the sword's own strength, however.

"Yes, I am ready to move on and search the rest of this vessel. It sounds like these two were the only survivors, but let's keep our senses about us just in case." Joan moves on to investigate the ship, with her sword and shield ready, should any unpleasant surprises await them.

Sneaky Weasel
2012-04-05, 04:19 AM
I'm alive! The thought kept going through Malain's head. Once again, he had survived. Once again, he had cheated fate. He started to laugh, but it turned into a bout of coughing and he had to cling to the parapet to wait for it to stop. Alive, but barely.
"Oh yeah, I'm as small as they come. Lucky me, eh?" Without waiting for a response he turns back to observe the scene below. The roc was tearing up the torso thing, so Malain didn't need to worry about that at the moment. As for the spawn, they were all dead...wait. There had been three left from his attack, hadn't there? And the dragonspawn had killed two more. That left one unaccounted for.
Drawing out a second knife for throwing, he swiftly runs through his attack pattern in his mind, preparing to send out fire at the undead once more. He scans the area for the last spawn, making sure that it would not catch him off guard.
Recovering Death Mark as a full round action.
Also, if I've somehow miscounted and the spawn are all dead, I'm going to feel like an idiot.:smallsigh:

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-05, 09:27 AM
Detect magic on the sword.

nyarlathotep
2012-04-05, 11:48 AM
Assuming Lester does not want to keep this secret everyone can look, I'm just posting in spoilers due to length.
The sword is indeed magical and appears to be designed to easily give up its secrets. Even through nothing more than a detect magic spell you understand what it does and how it works. It is a +2 holy long sword with bane (servants of gods). Additionally if it critically hits a creature that triggers its bane ability or is used to attack such a creature that is helpless it can impale the creature. When used to impale something the wielder lets go of the weapon, and its target is staggered and immobilized as long as it is impaled. Furthermore the impaled creature is affected by dimensional shackles and is unable to take actions that would remove the blade. Additionally if it is a creature that possesses blood it takes 10 bleed damage every turn that it is impaled. Other creatures may pull out the sword as a move or standard action.

Its runes have now shifted to read "No gods, only great men and terrible monsters" in common.

The ship's other rooms all appear to have been broken into and ransacked. The boiler room contains the bodies of two ogres who appear to be have been loading fuel into the furnace with their hands bound, meaning that any defense against the wendigo would have been near impossible. Even beyond the claw marks across there throat they look horribly injured, with lash marks running their backs and an emaciation that would imply starvation. They are curiously undevoured. Otherwise the boilers appear to be running out of currently fed fuel and are cooling down, though it would appear simple enough to restart them.

None of the crew quarters contain anything of note save for the captain's cabin. While the other rooms are relatively spartan affairs with little beyond a footlocker end a bed, or in the case of guard rooms multiple beds, the captain's room contains three separate bookshelves and a nightstand in addition to the necessities. On the nightstand rests a book across whose front is written a message in simplified Hominis, the language of the common folk that was the direct precursor to modern common. Joan is able to read the basics of it, but some of the more complex ideas might be lost. (Think of it like reading Chaucer. Sadly I do not yet have the skill or time to actually type out a message like early modern English or late middle English, so I'll just be typing in as encyclopedic a tone as possible).

The books front reads "an Introduction for Colonists". Its inner pages are written in the same script, but with summaries written in Terran at the end of each entry.

Book: "This book is to serve as a basic introduction to the current events of the home continent for colonists and give a basic understanding of modern day Confederate technology. Of first importance is knowing our enemies.

The inhuman enemies are the Chronan Dynasty, the Mi-go Empire, Ignus, and the Donn Regions. The Chronans are a collection of degenerate descendants of the titans. They have bread for resistance to the mi-go spores and near complete immunity to magic. Though they appear foolish and simple their more powerful khans still maintain of the intellect of titans and are capable of strategy. It is recommended that they only be engaged by martial masters of great skills, or wielders of the great armor given by our Princedom allies.

The Mi-go are sapient fungal colonies that claim to serve the Star Gods. Their primary weapons are devices that can discharge lightning by non-magical means, that have resisted all attempts at reverse engineering, and a spore that takes control of the mind of any it can take root in. These thralls retain some level of intellect, but are perpetually happy and will do anything to defend their mi-go masters. They frequently attempt to open up diplomatic channels, but all of their demands inevitably contain `willingly submit to infestation´. Recommended that they are dealt with using Compound Green detailed later in this book and fire."

At this point you find that several pages have been ripped out of the journal. The remaining portion is speaking of the application of Confederate technology and how to replicate it.

Book: "Compound Green is a chemical that is capable of killing any and all biological contaminants. If a human being is contacted with it or consumes food that has been exposed to it usually develop skin sores, but are otherwise unaffected and they do not suffer any effects of contaminants that might be in the food they consume. It is recommended that all food supplies in a region suspected of harboring mi-go be coated in Compound Green. Here are instructions for an alchemist to synthesis Compound Green from Sulfur and digestive acid. *lists instructions* Furthermore there should be at least a gallon already mixed on the colonist contact ship. *scralled in the margins are the words 'in my nightstand'*

The steam engine is a device powered by steam turning turbines through the use of heated water. Here are the basics of constructing and maintaining a steam engine like the one powering the colonist contact ship. *list instructions, which include notes on bound fire elementals generally being better than fueled fire, but sometimes these are in short supply*"
------------
Malain stands atop the keep walls, just able to notice the last vampire spawn in time to avoid its wild claw swing. The once human beast now stands inches from him, drool running down its chin as its lips have long been shredded by over zealous biting and chewing.

Vampirespawn: None will escape justice. You least of all small demon.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-05, 01:01 PM
"This... Is remarkable. I should get it to Simon so he can study it in more depth. He is a brilliant man, and now that his research attempting to penetrate the Storm is obsolete, he can devote his time to mastering this technology.

"I believe we are done here. Will that sword harm me for wielding it? Though I feel somewhat uncomfortable wielding a weapon designed to punish servants of gods, it would be foolish to give up such a tool for philosophical reasons."

Having explored the ship to her satisfaction, Joan makes her way to the exit, intending on returning to Simon and Ms Ashley to report the incredible findings of the afternoon.

That sword seems better than my Cold Longsword. I don't know the rules, but can I replace my Tomb Blade with this one?

nyarlathotep
2012-04-05, 01:15 PM
I'd normally allow you to replace your tomb blade by attuning over a 24 hour period, but as your mummy magic comes from service to the Wrapped King, and this sword is specifically meant to fight god servant's it cannot. As for simply wielding it, you can with no penalty.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-05, 01:43 PM
Okay, I will simply keep it on my person, then, for God-Stabbing.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-05, 02:30 PM
Les examines the blade and describes it to Joan. After looking over the rest of the ship Les is happy that nothing went wrong and he hadn't even needed to lift his sling. "Well now we can finally get out of here." Upon exiting the ship Les calls his eagle and begins walking in some random direction deep in thought.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-05, 04:27 PM
Joan searches out Simon and gives him the book she found in the ship.
"This book contains information on the 'steam engine' that powers that metal behemoth as well as several other interesting bits of information. A substance that removes contaminants may or may not be able to be used to remove dragonblood taint from a human. I am confident you could make excellent use of it."

nyarlathotep
2012-04-05, 04:41 PM
For convenience's sake I am abandoning color text for any NPC simply due to how many of them there are. There will still be certain phrases, like King and New Dawn highlighted, but no more NPCs with color by default.

Simon: I will be making the best use of it I can, milady. Even if the substance proves worthless, a new means of mechanical power will be useful, especially in the moving scouts vessels while putting as few men at risk as possible.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-05, 05:18 PM
"Excellent. I shall go find Ms Ashley now, and inform her of my findings. Keep a look out for that Siggeir. I don't know where his loyalties truly lie, but tread lightly around him; there is something strange about him." With that, she moves on to find Ms Ashley.

Joan casts an eye to the heavens, attempting to get a feel for how much time has passed, and how long she has to meet the others at the gate. She prays for the toad-man, hoping that he has the fortitude to survive the situation she left him in.

Wavelab
2012-04-05, 05:23 PM
Siggeir looks at Les with a grin. "Let me go show you what the good drink looks like. My treat." He said as he grabbed Les on the shoulder and dragged him towards the inn.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-05, 06:06 PM
"Alright Siggeir lead the way I still can't tell all these houses apart."

Sneaky Weasel
2012-04-05, 06:10 PM
Malain laughs in the undead's face. "Justice? I am Justice, you pathetic fool. Now disappear." He ducks past it's swiping claws, and stabs at the thing's foul heart. He underestimated it's agility, however, and his attack goes wide. He ducks back, trying to put some distance between him and the vampire before it's next attack.
Death Mark attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] plus [roll2] fire damage.
And 10 is probably a miss, so I'm moving back 20 ft.

Kazyan
2012-04-05, 06:36 PM
"That's okay. We can travel. To the mountain, I guess?"

Istid stood up, took out her waterskin from her haversack, and drank for a few seconds before removing it from her lips. She splashed the remaining water onto her aching fin, and felt the point of pain subside into comfort. "I have some other friends you might want to meet, if we're going together to kill the Fàfnir, whatever order makes things best. They traveled with me back to here. Oh, where's..." Istid sighed, then giggled. "I wonder what Les got himself into."

Wavelab
2012-04-05, 07:53 PM
Siggeir navigated the streets with Les until they finally found an inn.

"Give me 10 rounds of your most powerful drink." He said to the bartender and placed a purse of coins on the bar.

He took a table with Les and watched as all the drinks arrived. "Let's drink!"

nyarlathotep
2012-04-05, 08:17 PM
Actually due to the new dragonspawn's reach you're flanking bringing it up to 12, and the spawn is flatfooted due to climbing. Meaning that you just barely hit.

Malain's strike lands true, the vampire spawn exploding into a conflagration that none could survive. It soon burns to ash leaving behind only a gold and ruby signet ring of a minor Constance noble. Meanwhile the torso beast is finally finished, it lets out a groan before exploding into fleshy bits.
-----------------
back with Istid

Hermit: Yes I will follow you to meet the other ones. Lead me to them. More friends will help, they will help a lot.
-----------------
Joan finds Mayor Ashley talking to Father George still back at the dock.

Ashley: Thank you for investigating the ship Lady Joan. I am not sure what you did but Edgar has recovered form his coma. Also Father George has been talking to me about retrieving reinforcements from the north. Would you be willing to accompany him?
-----------------
Moe takes Siggeir's coin purse and pulls out 25 gold pieces. He then sets down ten shots of a bluish black spirit. The bottle is labelled Wormwood Spirits.

Moe: Just be warned, might make you a bit loopy for a while. The flowers and leaves they're made from contain a wee bit of extra kick.

Wavelab
2012-04-05, 08:23 PM
Siggeir took a deep swig of the wormwood spirits. He could feel it rushing down his undead body. It would have no effect on him though. But Les is a different story...

Kazyan
2012-04-05, 08:24 PM
"Nice. I'll see if I can remember where they were going." She reached out to allow the hermit to grab her hand and stand up, and would then lead him out of the tunnel.

"I might get lost. Just so you know." She chuckled and looked out to the city.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-05, 10:22 PM
Les trills a sip of this higher quality beverage through his teeth leaving coat of foam on his mustache. "WHOA! Thats strong... and has a bit of an oaky aftertaste. Do we really want ten of these?" After a the second mug Les seems to have already succumb to this powerful brew and raises the empty mug as if to drink from it again and misses his mouth hitting himself in the eye (the one with the eye patch fortunately) with the empty mug. "Oops."

Sneaky Weasel
2012-04-05, 11:38 PM
Malain smiles as the creature bursts into ash. Say one thing for Malain Sorroweye, say that he's lucky. He had survived once more.
As the adrenaline from the fight fades away, the pain in his wounds redoubles. The poison still deadens his sense and sends fire shooting through his joints with each movement, and his ribs ache from being crushed by the torso beast. He slumps against the battlements of the keep, simply laying still for a while to recover from his ordeal. I should really invest in some healing potions, he thinks.
His elation at winning turns to a sick feeling as he looks at who he has saved. The enemy. The dragonspawn. He had to remind himself that this was only so he could bring them down from within, so he could strike when they least expected it. It still felt like a betrayal, though.
"Hey, you with the wings, he wheezes, his throat dry, "Any way you can help me out? I'm pretty badly wounded, here." Unlikely, but worth a shot.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-06, 07:02 PM
"I can aid him in this, yes. Milady, my intention is to make a large circuit of the surrounding territory in the month of daylight that we have left, aiding whatever citizens I can, while pursuing secondary missions like Father George's. I am certain the other members of my troupe have things that they need to accomplish out in the wilds, as well.

"With your leave, I would like to carry out this mission, returning with the setting sun to protect Landsend during the Long Night. I believe this is the best course of action at this time." Joan responds, saluting the mayor. She had respect for this woman -- she reminded her of herself.

nyarlathotep
2012-04-07, 08:41 PM
In Moe's Siggeir and Lester "enjoy" several shots of what could be considered a lethal poison in a more civilized and cautious time, but now was merely a form of recreation. The strong alkali impurities in the drink burn in both of their bellies, but fail to do any lasting harm besides possibly to their bedsheets later on in the night. Lester however does feel the hallucinogenic effects, or visions as was claimed by the countrymen who brewed it, of the drink quickly enough.

He felt himself lifted up into the upper reaches of the atmosphere among the whirling clouds. Even so he knew this could not be real as the planets and stars were far too close, and he could see things dancing along the surface of the World's planetary neighbors. The flaming corona of the sun crawls with horrible linnorm like serpents composed of fire and fought by winged humanoids made of darkness, forming sunspots across its surface and plunging its child planets into darkness. Meanwhile the circling above are the four stars of the cardinal points: Dagon of the north, Alexandria of the south, Byzantium of the East, and Iberian of the West. They lash out at the sun's planetary children with luminous tendrils and hordes of tiny sparks.

Shortly after seeing this Lester loses balance and falls to the floor, completely unconscious.
-------------------
Meanwhile with Joan

Ashley: Go on your mission and help those in need as you see fit. It would be foolish of me to act as though you would do more good here than out in the world overrun by evil. We will defend here and always be a home for you to return to in your efforts to restore the world. I wish there were more people who could simply go out and expect to survive and make a difference out there.
---------------------
Malain's new companion looks at him strangely.

Winged Humanoid: We don't have any magical healing available here, but we do have enough food that a good night's rest with your natural healing should be able to recover most of those wounds. The walkers are dumb, but should be able to show you where the food it, but do not eat any of the humans or allow the walkers to. Those soft ones are immune to our blessings and for some reason that means that Jörmungandr needs them for the New Dawn.

*After a brief pause to consider what he has said he addresses Malain again.

I assume you two were headed north to the Four Wyrms Council, and know of the New Dawn, correct?
-------------------
Istid and the Hermit reach Moe's just in time to see Lester fall over and Siggeir's attempts to salvage the situation.

Sneaky Weasel
2012-04-07, 11:57 PM
Malain listens intently, his face giving away none of his internal thoughts. His face twitches slightly as the creature tells him not to eat humans, but not noticeably. He is reminded of how hungry he is, however, as he has not eaten in over a day.
"I would be grateful for some food, brother, even if man is not on the menu." He listens as the creature mentions Jormungandr, and the New Dawn. Jormungandr...the name was familiar. Something about a serpent?
"We were heading to the Council, yes. I hardly know anything about the New Dawn, though. Our winged brother told me that it would mean a great victory for us, but I don't know more than that." Perhaps it was not a good idea to show his ignorance, but Malain needed information. He was willing to take risks if necessary. He just hoped he hadn't made a mistake, or it could mean his head.

Wavelab
2012-04-07, 11:59 PM
Siggeir looked at the passed out Les. Staring at his neck and the alcohol pulsing through his veins.

Hey Dr. Orph, you wanna become a vampire :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-08, 12:32 AM
Les sits dumbstruck and speechless as his hallucination unfolds before him. This was different from when Les would eat rare mushrooms in the forest he does not quite get the symbolism, but tries to put this to memory. During which he carries the stupidest expression on his face then slumps over to far in his chair and hits the ground and mutters something like "The stars will be beautiful tonight."

I guess this sleep will be my resting time to renew spells.

@^: I don't mind but Les probably would.

Wavelab
2012-04-08, 12:38 AM
Siggeir rented two rooms for them. He dragged Les up to the first one and started drinking his blood.

1d6 Con damage each round until you die. I'll just hide your body somewhere and then after a few days you'll come back.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-08, 12:59 AM
Joan salutes Mayor Ashley, "the people are blessed to have a woman like yourself to lead them. Please meet me at the gates in an hour, Father George," she says to the priest.

She then searches out her two squires in the barracks.

"Rex, Ingrid, I need you two to remove the bodies from the metal ship in the harbor -- coordinate with Simin to give them a proper burial, please. I am leaving town for awhile, but I will return. Please take care of these people when I am gone. Be well, my friends." It saddened her that these two had lost so much of themselves, but she was certain that their reward in the next life would be even greater for it.

With her work behind her for now, Joan makes her way to the town gates. It would be a long time before she saw this town again, and she had grown fond of it. She cast a lingering look at the inn, wishing that she had a few more hours to relax and clean her bandages of the travel grime and terror bird blood, but such luxuries were not meant for heroes, she supposed.

She arrived at the gate and began to wait for the others to arrive, doing some minor maintainence on her gear while she waited.

nyarlathotep
2012-04-08, 01:36 AM
Father George: Aye milady, but I do believe that you companions who require sleep will desire it before setting out. The druid and shifty-eyed one appeared to be headed out for some liquid confidence for the road ahead. That is unless we have some form of automated transport to move them in while asleep.
--------------------
Siggeir begins to sup on his companion's blood but as the feast begins his eyes are filled with the sights of worlds far beyond and his ears the sounds to accompany them.

He now stands in a court-room surrounded by others like himself, those of great power but without any higher purpose or master. Beside him is a man whose face is covered by bandages; he is giving an empowered speech on why Siggeir should be spared, from what he does not say, for his life was one of living to the fullest, one that experienced all that life could offer.

The jury is unmoved by this speech, but why would they be. They were all of the living whom he had ever victimized, be it through trickery and guile or literally sucking the blood form their veins. They seem to be salivating at the chance to see him condemned, ignoring that by such measures all of them would surely be judged guilty as well. After what must have been moments, but felt like days the defense attorney rests his case and the judge makes his pronouncement.

The judge is a mammoth beast, a reptile of titanic size that had not walked the material in well over a millennium. Its four column like legs stand as great oak trees unmoving, while its neck towers nearly to the courtroom's ceiling. The only remotely human feature of the arbitrator of punishment was its face, a mask of human features twisted into black voids of anger where their should be eyes and a mouth. From is empty lips boomed the pronouncement "Guilty".

Siggeir is brought back to reality with a start. His hands normally pristine tools for fine manipulation were twisted into crude claws with the warty scales that cover the talons of a bird of prey. Lester is bleeding out of the gashes in his neck, but they won't be fatal wounds unless significantly more blood is drained.
Con damage: [roll0]
--------------------
Humanoid: Ah there is no shame in ignorance lad. We all started as children alone and afraid of this world that is out to kill us, and only walkers for company. Please we must be familiar call me Smog. The New Dawn will be a great liberation that will allow all of the children of Mother Earth to be transformed in the same way Father Sun's children were transformed when he fell, rather than through blood. We will use these humans who refuse enlightenment, due to their connection to the Star Gods to force Mother Earth to fall as well. We will stand in defiance of their condemnation of our rightful father.

Wavelab
2012-04-08, 01:51 AM
Siggeir reflected on what he had just seen. He felt his cold undead heart sink into his chest, filling with dread.

"Is this what I have become..." he asked himself with a quivering voice.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-09, 11:21 AM
Unless more blood is drained Les eventually will wake to see his robes have been removed to better expose his neck and a pain in his butt from falling after his vision. Les tries to make sense of the situation not thinking clearly with a hankover and a lack of blood and jumps to a conclusion. After finding Sigger's room "Sigger I don't know what happened last night, but for future reference I am bisexual."

NotScaryBats
2012-04-09, 12:02 PM
Joan considers Father George's words. "I see. I find myself forgetting that others do not share my vitality. Thank you for reminding me. I should acquire a cart and mule, then."

Joan asks the gate guard to inform any of her companions that happen to check in of her whereabouts -- she then goes to purchase a cart.

If I get a cart can my 28 str and I pull it effectively, while still being able to deal with problems that arrive (IE will I have to be tied to it or could I pull it like by those two front poles, then if monsters show up drop it and duel with them) or will I need *sigh* a living draft animal that also needs sleep. Lazy mortals.

Wavelab
2012-04-09, 03:00 PM
Unless more blood is drained Les eventually will wake to see his robes have been removed to better expose his neck and a pain in his butt from falling after his vision. Les tries to make sense of the situation not thinking clearly with a hankover and a lack of blood and jumps to a conclusion. After finding Sigger's room "Sigger I don't know what happened last night, but for future reference I am bisexual."

Siggeir looked at Les. "If you touch me I will stab you." he said. He paused for a moment.

"The truth is that I tried to drain your blood, for I am a vampire. But during the process I saw a vision and I saw all the people I had wronged. I was punished..." he said, showing Les his claws "...And I wish to reform. Will you help me?"

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-09, 03:10 PM
"Oh... I guess I was way off. As for fixin' your hands I'll give it my best shot." Les prepares spells then uses a Lesser Restoration then I will use two on myself cure the con damage (rolling the con damage cured in OoC tread). "Well I am glad I aint dead, but don't go tryin' this on me again."

Wavelab
2012-04-09, 03:38 PM
"I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you, I just spent most of my life with women. And I thank you my friend, it means a lot to me."

Kazyan
2012-04-09, 06:35 PM
Istid, being rather oblivious of anything she wasn't actively concentrating on, almost completely missed Siggeir taking Les to a room. Istid looked in the direction of the noise, then blinked a few times.

"Whose voice was that?" She wondered aloud to herself, and corrected her course of walking to enter Moe's. "I think that one of them, mister--oh, I never got your name at all, and we've been walking for a while" she giggled, and looked at the hermit. "What's your name? I'm Istid."

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-09, 07:35 PM
"I am glad we are friends too Siggeir because I have no idea about the stupid legal bureaucracy stuff involving arresting someone that all them cities have."

Wavelab
2012-04-09, 08:18 PM
"I like you, but if you try to arrest me I will have to end your life. This is bad since I'm trying to reform. So please control your justice."

nyarlathotep
2012-04-09, 08:57 PM
Joan reaches the only real local vehicle dealership, as there is little demand. The only animals still in the stalls have been selected or breed for long time between meals, to avoid potential exposure to dragon's blood. The only ones available for sail are three humped muskox, creatures from the north who can survive the hard winter nights and go without food or water for up to a month, but during the summer their long coats must be shaved daily (stats are bison with Con 18). Additionally there are four horses for sale, they are of a swift moving Constance breed known as Borderrunners(stats light warhorse with +4 bonus to con checks to continue running).

Store owner Jim: Well we do have hand carts but none that are big enough or a smooth enough ride to pull five people in comfortably, if you want to pile everyone in one it's 15 gold. We've also got a larger one drawn by the oxes for 20 gold and 10 gold per ox to pull it, I recommend two. The horses are 15 gold apiece if you want any of them.
-------------------
The hermit seems fidgety and uncomfortable in a crowded bar and uncomfortable in particular upon seeing Lester and Siggeir's departure.

Hermit: I am dreadfully sorry my birth name was Edard but my ordained name is Byzantine, one who is of Byzantium. I wish I have felt empty since the passing of my eastern counter part Iberia, he/she was-

The Byzantine's hooded head then shoots up from his usual hunched posture, and he stares down the hallway to the inn's rooms and rushes down it. He then begins furiously slamming on the door to a room. This begins driving away most of the bar's customers who were sitting in that area.
-------------------
In Lester and Siggeir's room the restoration spell appears to do nothing to restore the vampire's hands. Shortly after the spell finishes they hear a loud banging on their door and hear the slurred voice of a man lacking teeth.

Byzantine: I do not let the child gods judge you. We, I can help. We, I offer salvation from the true gods. Do not ally with the dead ones, they are the path of destruction. Please don't fight with them.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-09, 09:00 PM
"I just don't like bein' taken advantage of ya know. Vampires are probably one of the undead less hated by druids like myself sense they actually possess some bond with animals through there affiliation with bats." Then after hearing the man at the door "Mind your business I don't want you city folk changin' my beliefs with your philosophy and science. I ally with who I want... wait are you takin' to me or siggeir?"

Wavelab
2012-04-09, 09:08 PM
"Yes I apol..." Siggeir's sentence was interrupted by the knocking on the door. "The dead ones..." Was he referring to Siggeir?

"What do you make of this Les?"

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-09, 09:11 PM
I make that this guy outside thinks you are with the bad undead, but why would you be let in if that were the case? I'm not accusin' you or nothin', but You may need to explain your self to the man out there, I got your back.

Wavelab
2012-04-09, 09:14 PM
"Or we could disappear." Siggeir whispered silently with a grin.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-09, 09:21 PM
Les whispers too to avoid the ears of Byzantine "You mean like an illusion spell? I was never much good at them."

Wavelab
2012-04-09, 09:24 PM
"Actually I was thinking more along the lines of teleportation, hiding or running. I have enough magical energy to shift us both to a different place."

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-09, 09:38 PM
"Ok cast away."

Wavelab
2012-04-09, 09:40 PM
Siggeir put his hands on Les' shoulder and let the magical energies flow.

Teleport to the ship where they saw the wax golem and the wendigo - Viewed Once [roll0]

Wavelab
2012-04-09, 09:42 PM
Off target
[roll0]
[roll1]

How far is the ship away from the inn room?

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-09, 10:01 PM
"Wow I haven't had this much bondin' sense my last adventuring party back in my forties. It's a shame I haven't seen mighty Chester in ages, but thats what happens when your old... wait I forgot you are immortal so you are probably old too. Nice hiding spot by the way." (said sarcastically now that I realize where we are)

nyarlathotep
2012-04-09, 10:07 PM
About 1 mile due to the elongated nature of the cove. I'll take it from here.

Siggeir and Les appear in the air within sight of the shore and the boat they were aiming for, but immediately fall into the ocean below. Thankfully they are past the undertow of the immediate coastline, but there is still turbulence (DC 15 swim check to avoid sinking). Also thankfully saltwater dilutes the presence of dragon's blood quickly and even if it didn't the only marine life usually able to survive becoming dragonspawn are whales and other marine mammals. Unfortunately Lester knows that the oceans around the southern coast of are still patrolled by the conventionally dangerous Spear Tooth (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/Dorudon_BW.jpg) and Lizard King (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ef/Basilosaurus1DB.jpg) whales. The former being a vaguely dolphin like pack hunter, and the later functioning much more like a solitary sperm whale targeting other large marine like and living, but also not above snacking on floundering terrestrial creatures.
----------
Byzantine stop hitting the door and rushes back to Istid.

Byzantine: You friends are gone. Taken by the dead ones I think. We need to help them.

Wavelab
2012-04-09, 10:11 PM
"Can you swim?" Siggeir said as their heads appeared above water. "I'll meet you at the shore!" he shouted as he turned into a ball of gas, just narrowly escaping the waves.

Gaseous Form :smallcool:

I love being a vampire :smallbiggrin:

Oh and I lose 1/3 of my hit points for being immersed in running water. 99 HP left. I regain 5 points each round.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-09, 11:00 PM
Les's lack of response is his indicator of his lack of swimming experience. I try to cast Air Walk before I likely sink. Concentration check to cast [roll0]. If successful I run out of the water into the air and then to shore.

nyarlathotep
2012-04-09, 11:04 PM
you make it no real problem. Airwalking will commence.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-09, 11:19 PM
Flies about 60 MPH towards the shore and scoops up Siggeirs Gaseous Form in a fold of my robe to pull him at a faster pace. Thats 525 ft. per round till we reach land.

Wavelab
2012-04-09, 11:25 PM
Siggeir felt himself being pulled fast. When they reached the shore he said "Are you alright?"

Sneaky Weasel
2012-04-09, 11:28 PM
This isn't good. This isn't good at all. Malain's blood turns cold as he hears the dragonspawn's plan unfold. Infecting everyone with this madness. Making every man, woman and child share their curse. His curse. This was the sort of thing Malain had nightmares about. This New Dawn? It filled his heart with terror. It frightened him, as nothing else did. He would not let it happen. He would not.
All of this flashes through his mind in an instant, his face giving to sign of the internal turmoil. He grins at Smog, his lips pulling back to reveal yellowed, broken teeth. The smile is very real, as he imagines cutting off the monster's head.
"A world where everyone is one of our brothers? Where the undead are defeated, and the stain of humanity is extinguished? That is wonderful news, Smog. I will do anything I can to further the cause. My name is Malain." He gives a small bow, his joints screaming with the effort. He has to seem willing, and subservient. Now more than ever.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-09, 11:28 PM
"I'm wet and cold, but not hurt or nothin'."

Wavelab
2012-04-09, 11:32 PM
"We should find a place to hide, I trust in your Druidic instinct."

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-09, 11:49 PM
Les flies Siggeir to a nearby farm sense the city is to confusing for a druid and being in a corn or weat field allows hiding, food, and the ability to return to town in little time if needed.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-10, 12:30 AM
Joan considers this a moment. She did not want to rely upon anything that needed to sleep, but it sounded like this was her best bet. She purchased two oxen and a good, sturdy cart, then plenty of blankets, trail rations and water to stock it.

She hoped to be able to support any refugees that she came across with such things.

Then, Joan went to find her companions.

nyarlathotep
2012-04-10, 11:58 AM
Weasel rolled your knowledge nature for you and you got stupidly high allowing you to not only pinpoint that the turkey vulture was immune to dragonblight. There may be a few other creatures as well.
As Malain and Smog continue their discussion the roc who brought our toady assassin here flies into the fortress and quickly falls into another fitful sleep

Smog: Well brother Malain, we will had out when our avian friend wakes. It is a shame that our brothers from bird stock tire so quickly, just as our aquatic friends drown. Such is the price of freedom from the Star Gods.

Smog then retires to an inner room of the keep leaving Malain only with the zombie-like walkers. They were humanoids whose mind and body were not strong enough to retain sapience through the transformation into dragonspawn. Their skin is a patchwork of light blue and dark purple scales and with teeth too large and crooked to fit allow their mouths to ever fully close, but at the same time too far apart to conceal the mouth's grotesque inner regions.

One of these walkers leads Malain to the food Smog referenced earlier. It is a pile of animal carcasses most of them boars covered with a coating of acidic dragonspawn saliva, preserving it from all but the most indiscriminate of scavengers and bacteria. There is still one walker guarding it from occasional raids by turkey vultures, a creature famous for eating even the most disgusting of carrion and curiously unaffected by the dragonblight.
----------------------
Siggeir and Lester are able to quickly reach the coast and observe Joan and Father George exiting the vehicle shop with two muskoxen, but can also see a hooded man wearing a necklace of human teeth exiting the bar they just teleported from followed closely by Istid and Anthony.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-10, 12:57 PM
Upon seeing this Les speaks up "Siggeir the rest of the gang's down there with some hooded guy we should meet up with them."

Sneaky Weasel
2012-04-10, 04:42 PM
Malain gags as he looks at the carrion. Wonderful. There was no way he would eat this without getting violently ill. However, there didn't appear to be any other food available, and he hadn't eaten in over a day. Maybe if he cooked it? That would probably appear very suspicious to the others. Dammit, he was going to have to eat raw carrion, wasn't he? He was turning into what he hated more and more.
Hmm... perhaps he could cook it a bit anyway. He pulls out his knife, twirling it in thought. As he twirls it, flames light along the length of the blade, hissing and burning. After finding a suitable piece of meat he holds it over the flame, attempting to at least make it somewhat edible. The flame goes out at regular intervals, but he simply starts it up with little trouble. He does this as surreptitiously as possible, staying out of view of the walkers.
I'm using Lingering Inferno to slowly cook the carrion. Hopefully eating wont do more harm than good.:smallyuk:

Wavelab
2012-04-10, 06:14 PM
"Alright, let's go."

Kazyan
2012-04-10, 07:04 PM
At Byzantine's rush to go find her friends, Istid nodded. "RIght! Let's go!"

She would follow the hermit and, once she realized she was there, Joan. Istid waved at her acquaintance in greeting, but would otherwise stay quiet and try to maintain at least a little awareness of her surroundings. Not that it ever worked. Istid winced as she recalled accidentally walking into a tree during her journey across the continent. Twice, with the same tree. "Byzantine, let me know if you see either of them, or any dead ones." Istid looked left and right.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-10, 07:37 PM
After Siggeir responds I land us near Joan and Istid.

"Hey everybody".

Kazyan
2012-04-10, 07:54 PM
"Hmm?" Istid looked towards the voice. "Les! Where have you been?" She jogged towards him and extended her hand. She gestured towards Byzantine with her head. "Hey, this is Byzantine. He's a great guy. He has a lot of interesting religious stuff on the undead that I wasn't paying enough attention to."

Wavelab
2012-04-10, 08:12 PM
Siggeir looked at the Byzanite. "Are you for or against the undead?" He said while throwing a concerned glare to Joan.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-10, 08:13 PM
"I would love to listen but I am still a bit hungover from last night. I also renewed my spellpower if your feeling driedout."

Kazyan
2012-04-10, 08:20 PM
"Right, I do need to sit down and drink," Istid answered, as if she had forgotten. She sat down at the side of the road and raised her waterskin. "And you need to, also, right?" She smiled.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-10, 08:40 PM
Les casts create water and he fills mine Istid's and anybody elses waterskin who wants water.

Kazyan
2012-04-11, 07:17 PM
Once her waterskin was filled, Istid raised it to her lips and drank continuously for about ten seconds before letting go. She look a few breaths and splashed some of the remaining water onto her face, then rolled up one sleeve and splashed more onto her arm.

"Great. Just great, in every way." Istid sighed in comfort, then pulled her sleeve back into place. "Thanks, Les. This'll keep me going for a while," she said with a smile.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-11, 07:41 PM
"Glad I could help."

NotScaryBats
2012-04-11, 08:55 PM
"Are you all sufficiently prepared to depart? We will not be returning for some time, so I trust you got any supplies you may need. There is daylight burning, so I acquired these sturdy oxen and this cart. It's stocked with blankets, trail rations and water -- for any refugees we may find.

"I imagine there are many reasons for all of us to be heading out, but I suggest we start off north."

Wavelab
2012-04-11, 09:30 PM
"Please tell me it has a roof."

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-11, 09:47 PM
"Ah don't worry Siggeir you can always wear a hood. All the coins I have were given to me by you for the purpose of buyin' booze that don't smell like flotsam, So I'll be doin' that before we leave." Les then goes to Moe's one last time and spends his 100gp on second strongest drink that will hopefully cause no hallucinations. "So long Moe. Hope I survive the night cause if I do I'll have a hoard of undead and dragonspawn treasure to spend hear in the morning."

NotScaryBats
2012-04-12, 12:45 AM
I was under the impression that I bought an 'Oregon Trail' style large covered wagon.

nyarlathotep
2012-04-12, 02:17 AM
It has the poles and a tarp to be pulled over it but is currently left uncovered. It is 15 feet long and 8 or so feet wide.

The game has two NPCs following you around and both of them are the dudes with covered faces. Huh weird.

Also just so you know Wormwood Spirits is a sort of supernatural absinthe stand in.

Moe: Sorry for the confusion Les. I thought anyone would know that a drink made with mother's milk was bad news. Here have some old Spirits put down 10 years ago from the last corn crop.

Lester leaves with ten bottles of ten year old bourbon. By the time he returns to the others everyone seems rather grouped together and read to head out. Save that Byzantine is still being well a crazy hermit at Siggeir.

Byzantine: Undead can be good or bad, but not the dead ones. Not the ones who talked to you in dreams. They've forgotten their place, and claim the world they do not own.

This talk begins making Father George look very uneasy.

George: Yes, well it would eb best for us to discuss this on the road.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-12, 09:30 AM
Les moves along with everyone else, and mentally instructs his eagle with its keen eyes to look for edible plants and animals which ether it or Les will gather and put in the wagon.Eagles spot check [roll0]
My survival check help find things [roll1]
My knowledge nature check to identify what everything is [roll2]
Add penalties for me being drunk because I start on the first bottle.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-13, 06:56 PM
Joan guides the wagon as the group moves out, offering any tired members of the party the chance to rest inside of it.

Wavelab
2012-04-13, 07:31 PM
Siggeir rested under the shade, out of the sun's way. "So where are we going precisely?"

Kazyan
2012-04-13, 07:46 PM
Istid is able to walk without tiring. She hasn't performed anything exhausting lately, and is used to walking long distances.

"Can we stop by my cottage on the way to wherever you want to go? I want to go pick up something. If not, let's at least take a trip to the coast at some point."

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-13, 08:19 PM
Les wanders up bottle in hand. "Guys look at what I found." Points to something that is probably cool considering the critical of 44 he got on survival to look for animal tracks. If it turns out there was nothing important around Les shows a normal looking animal footprint that he thinks is important being drunk and everything.

nyarlathotep
2012-04-14, 05:18 AM
Malain's cooking experiment turns turns the meat into something edible, but still extremely unpleasant. The meat has broken down into something much more tender than the rawness would indicate, but there is a horrid almost citric taste.

Over the smell of his meal however the assassin can also makeout the scent of burning flesh. The odor is intermixed with air that tastes much like tar hinting at horrible events to the north, where the smell is coming from.
----------------
Lester is able to find two very important things. First he finds paths that the river hippos use for travel. They are the centers of wide and relatively deep, but still calm rivers. They sever to keep any small dragonspawn from reaching them, but still shallow enough that tired hippos can rest on the bottom. This means that if your wagon was caulked up your muskoxe could easily just travel down the center of this river and others like it to the north. Second he found a very nice and tasty looking collection of truffles, that would be delicious if properly prepared.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-14, 11:49 AM
Les puts the truffles in the cart and explains the use of the river. "That river over there would make for some slightly faster, and safer travel. Siggeir could stay in the cart to avoid the water, and Istid may enjoy the pleasure of swimmin' to our destination."

NotScaryBats
2012-04-14, 01:08 PM
Joan considers this for a moment. "Very well, we can travel by river. Keep a lookout for any civilians. Remember that we are not here for ourselves, but for the good of the people."

She begins to make whatever adjustments to the wagon that she must in order to take the river.

Wavelab
2012-04-14, 05:36 PM
"Alright. But I won't be able to help should the need arise."

NotScaryBats
2012-04-14, 06:51 PM
Joan glances at the man quizzically, unsure if he is joking. She then shakes her head and continues with her preparations.

"I trust you two will be quite competent fighting around water?" she asks the Nixie and Druid.

Kazyan
2012-04-14, 07:38 PM
Istid doesn't answer Joan's question, entirely because she is already in a full sprint towards the river and too gleeful to pay attention to anything else right now.

"Out of the way!" Istid says, almost singing in happiness, before leaping into the water with the grace of an experienced human. Water rushes past the hidden gills on her neck, and she sighs in relief. The river carries her along its path, and she allows it to without any struggle.

Already, she can feel her skin rehydrating. Yep, Istid is staying in here for a while.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-15, 11:05 AM
Joan grins at the exuberant display for a moment before she is back to her usual stern-faced demeanor.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-15, 12:40 PM
"Come on Singgeir the water ain't flowin' that fast." Les steps in to the river and moves along the bottom letting Istid get to the water first and will swim behind her, as to no steel her thunder during her reunion with water.

nyarlathotep
2012-04-15, 09:21 PM
The river path remains shallow enough for the oven to keep their heads above the water and the caulked wagon to only need to float occasionally. Within the river are signs of life persevering despite the current disasters, long necked turtles in underwater burrows, river eels, and any other creature able to swim beneath the surface when tainted blood washes across the river's top.

Lesters knowledge of nature and geography allows him to peice together that this is a tributary of the Great Maiken River which flows through central Constance. Additionally he knows that by backtracting through similar tributaries the party could reach central Krone of the Northern Mountains that house the remnants of the old giant empire.

Wavelab
2012-04-15, 10:01 PM
And so Siggeir slept silently. He was interrupted as the wagon hit the ground but fel asleep again as soon as it returned to the water. A bumpy ride awaited for him.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-15, 11:41 PM
"Well you never told me what we are goin' north for Joan, but I got a hunch that this river can take us up them old mountains the giants lived in, but before that there will be a lake. That means we will have to walk in the shallow bit until the lake turns back in to a river. This other river will be flowin' against us, but we can use this here river up to them northern mountains."We were in the south. We went north and found a river that was also heading north. The river connects to a mountains in the north. Water can only flow downhill, so the mountain river will be flowing south. Why is the southern half of the river flowing north? Likely because the river we are in is salt water, and is flowing inland from the ocean. the two rivers at some point will run into each other forming a huge estuary."

NotScaryBats
2012-04-16, 07:45 PM
"Ultimately, we have several different missions that we need to accomplish; as far as I know, they all are to the north.

First, we must attempt to waken the remaining tombs of Constance's reserve forces. That is why Father George is traveling with us.

Second, we must track down and slay -- what is it, again, Byzantine? A Linnnorm?

Third, there are many powerful warriors holed up in the ruins of the mountains, led by a man I know and trust named Caligulus. It could be that the reserve forces are also with him, but I cannot say for now.

Fourth, should we be able to somehow track Marius, we should rescue him from that great bird that abducted him.

Fifth, and most importantly, we must render assistance to any and all civilians that we meet.

I think it is unnecessary to mention that slaying any of our enemies that we encounter is also a priority."

Joan speaks slowly and clearly, carefully outlining the plan for her flighty companions. She has developed an almost maternal tone when speaking to the druid and Nixie.

Kazyan
2012-04-16, 08:34 PM
Istid pokes her head out of the water to listen to Joan as she swims. She nods at the list of duties.

"All of those sound as if finding anything will be random. We'll just keep our eyes out for anything, then?" She smiles and closes her eyes. "Tracking, then. I think we can do it." Satisfied, she sinks back into the water.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-16, 11:07 PM
"I can follow tracks well enough, I was the tracker in my older adventurin' crew." This is definitely an understatement, Les has an ability to track while moving at full speed without penalty, and he gets a bonus against dragons, undead, and aberrations.

nyarlathotep
2012-04-17, 01:49 AM
As the cart moves further and further northward signs of dragon corruption become more obvious. Most trees are leafless, even the conifers that normally do not shed. The corpses of rodents and other small creatures crushed under the weight of their growing dragon carapaces litter the ground, whatever meat was once attached to their bones likely picked clean by desperate scavengers. The living animals that you do encounter are all those noted for their resistance or ability to detect disease: the rot log boar, black vultures, mongooses. Despite all of this however you cannot find any actual dragon spawn during your entire northern trek to the three river vertex.

The vertex is a location where the waters of the Imperial River, which you are currently traversing connect with the Northern Main to create the eastern flowing Great Maiken River. At this location you find many things of interest. First is evidence of a large campsite, containing enough tracks to account for eight strange quadruped creatures, but only one humanoid set of footprints, and one set of tracks that seems to be a human walking on all fours, using only the tips of their fingers and toes. Tracks from this camp site lead almost directly north along the river toward the mountains.

The other clue is disturbing in a far more immediate and threatening way. You can all detect a horrible stench, almost similar to the smell of tar and hair burning. This scent wafts in from the west of the river junction. Just beyond the treeline you can make-out its source, the scarred and ruined city covered in still smoldering fires.

At these site and smells your hooded hermit companion begins trying to shrink down into the wagon's back corner.

Byzantine: They've both been here! Fàfnir and the dead ones. His breath does not only burn the grass, but salts the earth so that nothing may ever grow again. Even for all of his power he is too reckless, and a stray arrow might fell him, but then he is reborn through one of the hundreds coated in his blood that day.

While Byzantine rants Father George begins trying to explain the specifics of the what he gathered from Lester's examination of and reports on the tracks to all those in the front of the wagon.

George: I think that given our declared priority of rescuing innocents, this will take second priority to searching the dragon's rampage for survivors; I still feel the obligation to inform you of the sort of undead we are likely to encounter if and when we begin tracking this party. I believe the majority of them are Sciths, centaur-like undead who are the result of a pact with the death lords by a one whose greatest sin is allowing their loyalty to a corrupt lord lead them to hurting the innocent. The corrupt lord I would believe to be the one with mostly human footprints. I have no actual insights on the last set of tracks though.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-17, 05:13 AM
Joan agrees with the Father, "Yes, I pray that some have survived..." She does not look hopeful as she says this. Securing the cart and oxen, she readies her sword and shield and takes point in their investigations.

Sneaky Weasel
2012-04-17, 05:28 AM
Malain has nothing to do for the time being, so he binds his wounds as best he can. After doing so, he decides to see if the smell is anything of interest, or just a far off putrescence. Hopefully the former, his stomach is already churning from the carrion he just ate. After some thought he decides to sleep on the battlements, above the courtyard. Perhaps more exposed to the wind, but that would keep the odors to a minimum, so it's a good thing. Perhaps he can ascertain the source of the fumes, if they are anything of interest. And he was still wary of sleeping near the dragonspawn, even though they were harmless for now. Better safe than sorry. He takes a single swig from his canteen, in case he has to ration it in the future. If at all possible, he would like to avoid drinking tainted water. The days ahead would not be pleasant in the least, but if it meant killing one of the linnorms, and possibly saving the world, it was worth any hardship. Heh, Malain Sorroweye saving the world? You'd think the gods would have chosen less of a bastard for the job. Their loss.
Heal Check, untrained: [roll0]
I should really put some ranks in this skill, I've been using it quite frequently.
Edit: Eh, at least I tried.

nyarlathotep
2012-04-17, 10:24 AM
Malain's investigation reveals a great crater to the north of the keep. The hole is the earth is approximately 50 feet in diameter. At its center is the corpse of a burned and broken couatl, one of the many serpents of the Sun Father who did not survive his fall and was unable to complete its transformation into one of the linnorms. Its flesh is charred black forming a crisp shell, but within you can clearly see the steamed pink flesh that still yet bleeds great torrents of black red blood. This blood is being collected in torso sized jugs carried by a procession of the zombie-like human dragonspawn directed by Smog, who begin plodding back to the keep after their container is full.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-17, 11:38 AM
Les decides to scout ahead, he sprints off toward the burning town to see what the undead may have in store. He listens outside the wall briefly and his eagle takes a look at the town from above. After returning to the party on there way over Les reports what he saw.

nyarlathotep
2012-04-17, 12:39 PM
Lester's first observation is that although the city is covered in still smoldering tar there are two solid cement and stone structure that have survived most intact, save for their coating of burning pitch. Both of them appear to be bunkers of some kind that would take quite a bit of force to get into, and only one even has a door visible through the black coating. Outside of these bunkers all the buildings are nothing more than foundations and charred stone remains of structures that once had wood or straw in their construction.

Leading away from the town to the west is a path of tar covered destruction and ash through the trees that forest this region of the continent. Specifically toward the Kingdom of Bell, one of Satum's northern most states. As due to the pride of nobles houses many mostly independent principalities of Satum declared themselves "kingdoms" even though they were no longer or more powerful than any other. Castle Tor Bell is the capital of the region and is positioned in such a way to be nearly impregnable. It is built into the side of the mountain itself, with a natural roof protecting it from aerial assaults, a glacial stream providing it with pure water, and an entrance only accessible through a long tunnel covered in murder-holes for the defenders to rain down boiling death on invaders. It any fortress held against the dragonspawn and deathlords this far north it was Castle Tor Bell.

Just as he turns to leave Lester is surprised by movement in a grey brown lump he had believed to be a decaying log. It was in fact a humanoid beetle digging through the dirt beyond the burning pitch. When it gets a glimpse of Les he immediately rushes over to him and begins writing in the dirt in front of him.

Writing: YOU HERE FOR CHILDREN. THEY SAFE IN DOME. PLEASE TAKE THEM. I TRY TO KEEP THEM SAFE BY STAYING OUTSIDE. CANNOT CHECK BECAUSE OF GHOSTS AND VOICES.

For wavelab

Bell was the kingdom Siggeir took control of in his backstory.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-17, 01:42 PM
Les stares at the letters on the ground then sends his eagle to the party and tells it lead them to his location. "I'm sorry it's just as unnatural for humans to read as it is for animals to write." For the first time Les feels the same annoyance he gets from city dwellers in an insect. This is one of many problems with living a simple life in a forest. There are no books, and Les believes nature intended oral communication and animal body language so humans are no more advanced then animals.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-17, 04:06 PM
Joan follows the bird to Les. She sees him speaking with a humanoid beetle. Ah, yes, that makes sense. Someday, her strange companions would cease surprising her, but that day was not today. When she sees the writing, she can't help but read it aloud, as it takes a few moments to decipher the scrawling in the dirt.

"There are children in there!? Thank the gods that someone survived." She stops herself from going to get them, reasoning that -- for better or for worse -- it would have to be the living humans of the party to make contact with them. "I don't want to frighten the children unnecessarily. Please, Siggeir and Les, we must get them to safety."

Sneaky Weasel
2012-04-17, 05:01 PM
Malain smiles grimly as he stares down at the couatl. It seems there is some justice in the world after all. If only more of them had ended up like this. Of course, if he succeeds, more of them will.
He stares at it for a long while, seething, plotting. One fine day, he would kill them. One fine day, he would have his revenge. I swear it.
He idly wondered what the vials of blood were for. Well, he could always find out another time. He curls up in a corner of the battlement, wrapping himself in his cloak. He wasn't going to do anything if his wounds didn't heal. After a while he drifts off into uneasy sleep, where nightmares of a burning village and the screaming of children haunt his twisted mind.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-17, 06:25 PM
"WHAT!?" Les races toward the dome were Joan is looking.

Kazyan
2012-04-17, 06:45 PM
Istid manages to catch a few details of a situation, enough to get her to poke her head out of the river for a better look.

"...I'll stop some of those fires," Istid decides aloud. Whatever people remaining, if any, might appreciate not losing all of their property. After more than a little hesitation, she climbs out of the water. Already, some of the ugly puce-colored blood vessels on her body had resolved to bluer or redder shades of a healthy circulatory system. She jogs towards the city, staring at the first small fire she can visually locate. Once close, she clenches her fists and concentrates, pulling the flames away from their fuel to extinguish them.

Control Flames (1pp), handling fires up to 1'x1' in size. Extinguishing them like this: "This power also enables you to make a fire move as if it were a living creature...a fire that moves away from its fuel or its original location dies as soon as your control over it lapses."

nyarlathotep
2012-04-17, 07:41 PM
Istid is able to extinguish all of the fires left. The ground and buildings are still covered by a disguising black sludge, but they are not actively being destroyed.

Meanwhile Les and the beetle rush for the cement dome, while Joan follows distantly behind. The humanoid creature knocks on the door indentation, which is a steel with a dropbox built into it to allow for items up to the size of a small dog to be pulled in without opening the door. This dropbox opens and a child's voice can be heard from within.

Voice: Charlie you made us promise not to let you back in until there were other people there. You we can't go back on a promise.

The beetle begins gesturing for Lester to say something.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-04-17, 09:47 PM
"Charlie brought me to save you."