PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Spell Eidolon (Summoner Archetype)

deuxhero
2012-03-11, 05:49 PM
Fairly quick and dirty, but wanted thoughts. I realize that this is weaker than the normal Summoner due to QWLW as well as having no support (beyond a buffer) for the melee abilities. Most obvious problem is the name is really awkward.

Features Changed: Hit Dice, Class Skills, Skill Points, Base Attack Bonus, Weapons and Armor, Spells, Cantrips, Eidolon, Summon Monster.

Hit Dice
A Koldun's HD is d10

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
A Koldun is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields (except tower shields).

Base Attack Bonus
A Koldun's Base Attack Bonus is equal to her HD (as a Fighter)

Class Skills and Skill Points
A Koldun gains 4 skill points + a number of skill points equal to her Intelligence modifier at each level. A Koldun's Class Skills are Acrobatics (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Fly (Dex), Handle Animal (Cha), Knowledge (all) (Int), Linguistics (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Swim (Str), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Spells/Cantrips
A Koldun does not gain these abilities.

Channel Casting
Starting at first level, as long as her Spell Eidolon is not summoned, a Koldun may as a spell-like ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + her Constitution Modifier, have her Spell Eidolon cast any spell with a standard action or shorter casting time, with its position considered to be the summoners. These spells use the Spell Eidolon and count against a Spell Eidolon's Spell Per Day as if casted by the Spell Eidolon. This ability is a standard action, At level 7, this ability takes only a swift action, at level 11, a Koldun may, as an immediate action, have spells with an immediate action casting time cast through this ability. The true origin of these spells may be determined by a DC15 Spellcraft check.

This ability replaces the summoner’s Summon Monster ability

Spell Eidolon
A Koldun does not gain the standard Eidolon class feature. Instead a Koldun gains a Spell Eidolon, which is like a normal Eidolon with the following changes.

Hit Dice
D8 HD

Class Skills
Spellcraft is a class skill for a Spell Eidolon in addition to the normal Eidolon class skills.

Base Attack Bonus
A Spell Eidolon's BAB is 3/4ths its HD (as a cleric).

Ability Scores
A Spell Eidolon's Ability Scores are the same as a normal Eidolon's, except that the Charisma and Strength scores of the base form are swaped (for example, a Spell Eidolon Biped has the following ability scores Str 11, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 16).

Dex/Cha Bonus
Instead of gaining a bonus to Strength and Dexterity as the Summoner's level increases, a Spell Eidolon gains a bonus to Dexterity and Charisma.

Spells
A Spell Eidolon casts spells like a Summoner equal to its hit dice.

Share Spells
A Spell Eidolon may cast spells with a target of "you" on his master. A Spell Eidolon may cast spells on his master or itself even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the Spell Eidolon’s type (outsider) or the type of its master. Spells cast in this way must come from the summoner spell list.

Also some support

Evolutions

1 Point

Crafter
A Spell Eidolon's Caster Level for crafting magic items and qualifying for Item Creation feats is considered equal to the Summoner's HD instead of the Spell Eidolon's (Yes, this whole write up WAS for the one reference...)

Float
A Eidolon floats just above the ground, as per the effects of Horseshoes of a Zephyr. (This is not exclusive to Spell Eidolons)

2 point

Item Creation training
A Spell Eidolon gains a Item Creation feat.

Variable points
(Cost of these abilities is something I'm not too sure on)

Bonus Spell Known
A Spell Eidolon gains a bonus spell known of any spell level it can cast. This evolution costs a number of evolution points equal to the spell level of extra spell.

Bonus Spell Slot
A Spell Eidolon gains a bonus spell slot of any spell level it can cast. This evolution costs a number of evolution points equal to the spell level of the bonus slot.

Tarvon000
2012-03-11, 07:56 PM
If you're going to switch the roles of the summoner and his eidolon, you're probably also going to want to re-fluff the class. Perhaps it's the eidolon that controls the "summoner" and not the other way around, using the mortal as an intermediary between itself and the humanoid societies that would normally consider it a monster. Then you could rename the class to the Eidolon Slave (or the Eidolon Servant, if you want a friendlier relationship between them).

By the way, I think you meant to say that Spell Eidolons (which you could rename Master Eidolons) have 3/4 BAB, not 2/3.

deuxhero
2012-03-11, 08:28 PM
It was "designed" with pretty much no fluff in mind. I'm not entirely sure that would reverse the default summoner fluff either, given the talk about being part of the Summoner in a lot of ways

Also fixed.

DiBastet
2012-03-11, 09:35 PM
I like this a lot. I'm going to add it to my summoner options.

Doorhandle
2012-03-12, 06:49 AM
Wait, so this is a russian summoner? :smallbiggrin:

deuxhero
2012-03-12, 10:40 AM
If nothing else "Russian Summoner" would flow better than "Spell Eidolon Summoner"

edit: Aside from Aspect and a buffer, the fighter half is also weaker due to no class features to help in melee.

Cieyrin
2012-03-13, 09:58 AM
Why is 'Small' an evolution? You can choose to make your Eidolon Small at no Evolution cost normally. :smallconfused:

SamBurke
2012-03-13, 11:02 AM
Also, I don't see the physical mechanic for it casting spells... unless you're going to use the horrific one already in place.

deuxhero
2012-03-14, 06:47 PM
^ I don't understand. You mean something other than "A Spell Eidolon casts spells like a Summoner equal to its hit dice."?

Why is 'Small' an evolution? You can choose to make your Eidolon Small at no Evolution cost normally. :smallconfused:

Missed that line. Updated

Cieyrin
2012-03-14, 06:55 PM
You can? I thought it was just part of a penalty for various archetypes.

Alternatively, any one of these base forms can be used to make a Small eidolon. If the eidolon is Small, it gains a +2 bonus to its Dexterity score. It also takes a –4 penalty to its Strength and a –2 penalty to its Constitution. It also gains a +1 size bonus to its AC and attack rolls, a –1 penalty to its CMB and CMD scores, a +2 bonus on its Fly skill checks, and a +4 bonus on its Stealth skill checks. Reduce the damage of all of its attacks by one step (1d6 becomes 1d4, 1d4 becomes 1d3). If this choice is made, the eidolon can be made Medium whenever the summoner can change the eidolon’s evolution pool (which causes it to lose these modifiers for being Small).

I don't think any current archetypes take it away from you, so I don't see a reason to keep people from doing so. Well, except perhaps Broodmaster but that requires a lot of work to do anything useful with.

Benly
2012-03-14, 08:25 PM
So does the Summoner herself lose any casting, or are you just a spellcaster with full BAB, d10 HD, and another spellcaster in your back pocket?

deuxhero
2012-03-14, 08:50 PM
^ It's listed under the feature changes, though I should make it explicit.

I don't think any current archetypes take it away from you, so I don't see a reason to keep people from doing so. Well, except perhaps Broodmaster but that requires a lot of work to do anything useful with.

Thanks. Got ninja edited.

Benly
2012-03-14, 09:14 PM
^ It's listed under the feature changes, though I should make it explicit.

You list that the "spells" class feature changes, but the only change you list to the "spells" class feature is that the spell eidolon gets spellcasting.

edit: or did until you fixed it, hah. Basically it's not enough to say "this feature changes", you have to actually say what it changes to.

deuxhero
2012-04-09, 05:56 PM
OK, I made a few updates.

Firstly I replaced the Summon Monster ability with something a melee type can actually use.

More obviously, I changed the name (thanks Doorhandle for the inspiration), now there is no more "Spell Eidolon Summoner's Spell Eidolon".

I made a few corrections here and there too.