PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade build advice

zeboss
2012-03-11, 08:11 PM
So I have an idea for a build to increase the power of a duskblade.
Human Jade Pheonix Mage
Levels: duskblade 13/ Crusader 1/ JPM 6
Feats: Power Attack, obtain familiar, arcane strike, improved familiar (imp), Weapon Group (exotic), Versatile Spellcaster, Knowledge Devotion, Poison Spell
Spells
0 level: Ray of Frost, Touch of Fatigue,
1st level: Kelgore's Firebolt, Blade of Blood, True Strike, Shocking Grasp,
2nd level: Scorching Ray, Dimension Hop, Bull's Strength, Spider Climb
3rd level: Vampiric Touch, Dispelling Touch, Regroup, Ray of Exhaustion,
4th level: Dimension Door, Dispel Magic, Enervation, Shout
5th level: Disintegrate

This class does some work. The main idea is that the character can deal lots of damage at mid range with the spiked chain. The level of crusader is only so i can get Jade Pheonix Mage. I chose the crusade because of his starting stance that lets you recover health easily. But the main attack this build uses is channeling a spell (standard action), using arcane strike (free action), and using arcane wrath (swift action). All of these buffs together can deal craptons of damage.

So i thought i would but this around and see if anyone had any advice to improver this.

Snowbluff
2012-03-11, 09:38 PM
Okay, let me start by saying I am thoroughly not fond of the JPM.

If you are dead set on getting 6 levels in JPM (Bad Idea btw, you don't learn another Mave, and you lose a CL), you should be a making use of the 6th level ability.

JPM isn't worth it purely for Arcan Wrath. You'll have 12 initiator levels (6th level Maves) level at level 19, when you learn your last Mave and Stance. I'd suggest Aura of Chaos (which should affect you Weapon-Like Touch spells, which are indeed melee attacks). White Raven Tactics should be on your list, regardless. It's better than the measily 5d10 on one hit from arcane wrath.

Talionis
2012-03-11, 10:14 PM
It gets said a lot,but Chameleon 7 gives you access to all arcane and divine spells level 5 or less. That gives you a ton of options for Touch spells that the Duskblade spelling doesn't.

gbprime
2012-03-12, 12:42 PM
Jade Phoenix Mage isn't the way to get craptons of damage out of a Duskblade. Divine Crusader is. Take Destruction Domain and you eventually channel HARM with every full attack. Hard to beat 4-5 attacks a round that deal a bonus 110 points of damage per hit...

Thespianus
2012-03-12, 02:27 PM
Jade Phoenix Mage isn't the way to get craptons of damage out of a Duskblade. Divine Crusader is. Take Destruction Domain and you eventually channel HARM with every full attack. Hard to beat 4-5 attacks a round that deal a bonus 110 points of damage per hit...

That doesn't kick in until level 19, though? By then, 500 pts of damage in a nova round isn't all that impressive. But yeah it's solid.

And channeled Disintegrate at level 20 will be nice, I assume ;)

Snowbluff
2012-03-12, 03:26 PM

I've had people come o the conclusion differentiating between ranged touch spells and channelable spells. You might want to talk to your DM about that.

Blackfang108
2012-03-12, 04:09 PM
That doesn't kick in until level 19, though? By then, 500 pts of damage in a nova round isn't all that impressive. But yeah it's solid.

According to the FAQ, it's spells with range: touch.

Not ranged touch spells.

I read it the same way.

On a mobile device, so no link.

Grim Reader
2012-03-12, 06:46 PM

Or Wyrm Wizard, pick Harm off the Adept list. Its faster.

zeboss
2012-03-12, 09:40 PM
I have been lpoking into it some and chameleon is looking like a very useful choice for my last seven levels. So now my question is, what are some good divine and arcane spells for the duskblade?

Snowbluff
2012-03-12, 10:02 PM
I have been lpoking into it some and chameleon is looking like a very useful choice for my last seven levels. So now my question is, what are some good divine and arcane spells for the duskblade?

Harm and Inflict spells. Slay Living is a personal fave, and great when channeled MULTIPLE TIMES IN ONE TURN! BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA >:D

zeboss
2012-03-12, 10:10 PM
Harm and Inflict spells. Slay Living is a personal fave, and great when channeled MULTIPLE TIMES IN ONE TURN! BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA >:D

My god, that strategy is so sadistic it's amazing.

Snowbluff
2012-03-12, 10:18 PM
My god, that strategy is so sadistic it's amazing.

Adding this to my sig, if you don't mind.

As a rule, Harm and inflicts will do better versus creature with good Will saves, but Slay Living is just beastly regardless.

Btw, Divine Crusade or Ur-Priest would work better with these spells.

gbprime
2012-03-12, 11:37 PM

100 points of damage a round kicks in by 13th, though. And in the meantime, since you wisely chose Tomb Tainted Soul as one of your feats, you've got PLENTY of negative energy damage to heal yourself with as well.

500 points of damage in a round isn't that impressive at 19th level? Man, I'd hate to see the kind of power level you routinely play with. :smalleek:

Thespianus
2012-03-19, 01:43 AM
500 points of damage in a round isn't that impressive at 19th level? Man, I'd hate to see the kind of power level you routinely play with. :smalleek:
I should clarify, 500 points of damage while spending a 7th level spell slot isn't that impressive.

If you could dish out 500 points of damage per round, every round, without spending a high level spell slot or another limited resource, THAT would be impressive.