PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Getting more immediate/swift actions in a turn?

Jigokuro
2012-03-12, 12:28 AM
I'm playing a warblade, specifically this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12672635&postcount=3) [credit: Crasical], and it is going great except for one thing: only getting one immediate action to counter is typically fine, but then then is no swift left to activate an item or boost.
So a simple question, is there any way to get more than just the one action?
I initially thought of the Belt of Battle to get +3 move actions a day I could subsume but then I saw it's activation cost is a swift :smallannoyed:

kardar233
2012-03-12, 12:53 AM
There are very few ways to get bonus swift actions. The only ways I know are the Synad's racial ability (though that only works with "purely mental actions") and the Ruby Knight Vindicator.

Keld Denar
2012-03-12, 08:59 AM
Stance of Alacrity is another method. Gives you basically an extra swift action per round that can only be used on counters. Its a pretty high level stance, though.

I've noticed that too. Warblade's do tend to pretty much always use their swift actions every round. Which is a good thing, IMO. Opportunity cost is one of the things that makes the class interesting to play. Having to weigh the benefits of several decent options is better than repeating the same option over and over and over and over again because it is the only decent option available.

Quietus
2012-03-12, 09:07 AM
There are very few ways to get bonus swift actions. The only ways I know are the Synad's racial ability (though that only works with "purely mental actions") and the Ruby Knight Vindicator.

Do note that the RKV has to spend a standard action to get that extra swift, though. So, not all that helpful.

Particle_Man
2012-03-12, 09:47 AM
I rule that that RKV ability is a free action to make it more helpful. Your DM might too. After all, it does cost a "turn undead" and they are limited and you have to get well into RKV to get the ability.

Quietus
2012-03-12, 11:10 AM
I rule that that RKV ability is a free action to make it more helpful. Your DM might too. After all, it does cost a "turn undead" and they are limited and you have to get well into RKV to get the ability.

I agree, that's probably how it was intended. Strictly by RAW that isn't the case, but ..

I will, however, point out that if it's given as a free action, then the ability becomes rather ridiculously powerful. It's one of those things that is either very good or very bad, with little in between.