PDA

View Full Version : What do you call a dragon with lots of knowledge skills?

Hylas
2012-03-12, 01:05 AM
A book wyrm. :smallbiggrin:

Anxe
2012-03-12, 02:13 AM
Hylas now bears the mark of shame.

Rain Dragon
2012-03-12, 02:20 AM
Oh dear goodness. It's leaning towards the lame side, but it made me smile anyways. :smallbiggrin:

Nice one!

Agent 451
2012-03-12, 02:32 AM
Hylas now bears the mark of shame.

Care to explain? Is that an aberrant dragonmark? :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2012-03-12, 02:42 AM
Come to think of it, I believe there is a Tome Dragon somewhere.

Where's that list of playable dragons when one needs it?

edit: here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3070.0)we go, I believe. Dragon 343 it seems.

Alleran
2012-03-12, 04:00 AM
That joke was so bad that it went from bad, to so bad it's good, to so bad it's terrible, all the way down to so bad it's confusingly bad and then to so bad it just produced a blank slate from me followed by the thought of groaning from pain (which never actually happened).

Ernir
2012-03-12, 07:46 AM
I am just going to leave this here. (http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=rimshot)

Talya
2012-03-12, 08:51 AM
I'm not sure whether to "LOL" or "groan."

Thanks, though.

Seharvepernfan
2012-03-12, 02:09 PM
A book wyrm. :smallbiggrin:

I don't get it.

erikun
2012-03-12, 02:15 PM
I don't get it.
Here you go. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bookworm)

Kuulvheysoon
2012-03-12, 02:41 PM
I'm not sure whether to "LOL" or "groan."

Thanks, though.

Personally, I'm inclined to go with both.

As I clicked on the link, I was honestly expecting some new sort of Loredrake abuse. Truth be told, I'm not sure if this is any better.

Hylas
2012-03-12, 03:23 PM
Sorry guys, just thought the forums could use a little joke. I'll try not to punish everyone in future threads.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-03-12, 03:26 PM
Sorry guys, just thought the forums could use a little joke. I'll try not to punish everyone in future threads.

You, sir, should be shot for that one.:smallamused:

Seharvepernfan
2012-03-13, 03:49 AM
Here you go. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bookworm)

lolwut herpaderp

kardar233
2012-03-13, 04:34 AM

Have you not seen what the bear threads devolve into? It's unbearable.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-13, 04:39 AM
You know, strictly speaking, having knowledge skills doesn't necessarily imply book learnin'. A druids Knowledge: Nature ranks are as likely to come from experience with perhaps some mentoring and tutelage from fellow druids as from books, if not more so. A bard with Knowledge: Nobility might get it from simply living a lifetime in court rather than special training.
So even if I accept the pun, it really doesn't work if you think about it too long.
Still , the idea of a dragon that is more interested in lore and learning rather than more physical treasure could make an interesting encounter.

Elemental
2012-03-13, 07:14 AM
Particularly if they're a red, or other fire-breathing, dragon and you attack them in their library.
It would be unthinkable for them to destroy their beloved books!

At which point, the PCs threaten the burn them, causing the dragon to accede to their demands.

Alleran
2012-03-13, 07:18 AM
Particularly if they're a red, or other fire-breathing, dragon and you attack them in their library.
What if they'd been reading the Twilight series or the D&D equivalent? I'd say burning something would be entirely justified.

The Glyphstone
2012-03-13, 07:20 AM
That'd work if it was a Mind Flayer or Beholder's library - only a creature not of this reality could find such things enjoyable.

Alleran
2012-03-13, 07:23 AM
That'd work if it was a Mind Flayer or Beholder's library - only a creature not of this reality could find such things enjoyable.
Aren't you an Eldritch Horror in the Playground? That sort of qualifies as not of this reality.

It does make one wonder what the Twilight equivalent might be in D&D. They actually have a specific type of vampire and werewolf, so would their fiction be different?

Killer Angel
2012-03-13, 07:55 AM

I believe that's one of the main reasons they developed the ability to cast spells... :smalltongue:

The Glyphstone
2012-03-13, 09:17 AM
Aren't you an Eldritch Horror in the Playground? That sort of qualifies as not of this reality.

It does make one wonder what the Twilight equivalent might be in D&D. They actually have a specific type of vampire and werewolf, so would their fiction be different?

Hey, even Eldritch Horrors have standards.:smalltongue:

Elemental
2012-03-13, 09:35 AM

That is an interesting question and required further thought... Perhaps a terrible series of romantic novels concerning a mysterious figure hidden behind a screen?

3drinks
2012-03-13, 12:17 PM
I am just going to leave this here. (http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=rimshot)

Shamelessly stolen and bookmarked. >__>

Shadowknight12
2012-03-13, 01:10 PM

Let's deconstruct the tropes:

High school setting becomes magic academy setting.
Blandy McAudience-Stand-In becomes a high elf because that makes her fragile and pretty. She remains clumsy despite the bonus to Dex.
Sir Broods-a-lot becomes a drow in disguise. He and his family are supposed to be evil and she's supposed to be her natural enemy, but these important conflicts are invariably swept under the rug after the second page to make room for the contrived romance. Sir Broods-a-lot's family become creatures of beatific proportions. Each and every one of them has the Saint template and actively enrich the world with their very presence. Readers who are not beguiled by the imagery or the author's awkward and stilted narrative constantly feel the urge to vomit whenever they're mentioned.
Mr. Fanservice becomes a wood elf, because he's nature-y and stuff. He and Blandy would be one of those "What does he see in her?" couples, but she keeps stringing him along as she is hopelessly in love with Sir Broods-a-lot. Mr. Fanservice is, unfortunately, regularly used as target practice for Feeblemind, so his rampant idiocy is somewhat understandable.

The title of the saga becomes "Starlight", in allusion to the elven nature of the main characters. The word itself has only tangential relation with the plot, while being vaguely romantic and generic enough for the hackiest of hacks to use. From the moment of publication onward, writers cringe whenever they're about to write the word "starlight" out of fear of being associated with the fermenting spew that the voracious masses consume with the zeal of a full-grown Terrasque.

No matter how much the saga is hated, it only grows ever more popular, proving that the evil gods had a hand in it.

Seharvepernfan
2012-03-13, 01:51 PM
All that.

I'd read it.

Starlight is my favorite word, too.

INoKnowNames
2012-03-13, 02:03 PM

Did you really do that?

Really?

Top right panel. I share his sentiments. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0396.html)

I'd be lying if I didn't laugh, though.

Socratov
2012-03-13, 02:09 PM
You know, strictly speaking, having knowledge skills doesn't necessarily imply book learnin'. A druids Knowledge: Nature ranks are as likely to come from experience with perhaps some mentoring and tutelage from fellow druids as from books, if not more so. A bard with Knowledge: Nobility might get it from simply living a lifetime in court rather than special training.
So even if I accept the pun, it really doesn't work if you think about it too long.
Still , the idea of a dragon that is more interested in lore and learning rather than more physical treasure could make an interesting encounter.
Wow Anti-joke Raven strikes true with... ...truestrike...

Did you really do that?

Really?

Top right panel. I share his sentiments. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0396.html)

I'd be lying if I didn't laugh, though.

this is a fully supported action on my part, I may be willing to pay if able to take a part in either the action, or the spectation of this punishment.

Blisstake
2012-03-13, 03:26 PM

Most jokes don't work if you think about them for too long. That's why you don't and just laugh :smallsmile:

Plus, the traditional idea of someone with a lot of knowledge skills (in my experiences at least) is someone who studies a lot and is well-read.

Hylas
2012-03-13, 06:15 PM
Alright, alright, "what do you call a dragon in a library?" There, now it's all better. :smalltongue:

I feel sorry for the DM that has a wizard with a wood golem army because you woodn't believe the puns you can make.

Blisstake
2012-03-13, 06:37 PM
Alright, alright, "what do you call a dragon in a library?" There, now it's all better. :smalltongue:

How do you know he's not just visiting the library against his will?! Maybe he hates books! :smalltongue:

JKTrickster
2012-03-13, 06:41 PM
I feel sorry for the DM that has a wizard with a wood golem army because you woodn't believe the puns you can make.

I know! I would just leaf the game after so many!

Ragnar Lodbroke
2012-03-13, 06:43 PM
Let's deconstruct the tropes:

High school setting becomes magic academy setting.
Blandy McAudience-Stand-In becomes a high elf because that makes her fragile and pretty. She remains clumsy despite the bonus to Dex.
Sir Broods-a-lot becomes a drow in disguise. He and his family are supposed to be evil and she's supposed to be her natural enemy, but these important conflicts are invariably swept under the rug after the second page to make room for the contrived romance. Sir Broods-a-lot's family become creatures of beatific proportions. Each and every one of them has the Saint template and actively enrich the world with their very presence. Readers who are not beguiled by the imagery or the author's awkward and stilted narrative constantly feel the urge to vomit whenever they're mentioned.
Mr. Fanservice becomes a wood elf, because he's nature-y and stuff. He and Blandy would be one of those "What does he see in her?" couples, but she keeps stringing him along as she is hopelessly in love with Sir Broods-a-lot. Mr. Fanservice is, unfortunately, regularly used as target practice for Feeblemind, so his rampant idiocy is somewhat understandable.

The title of the saga becomes "Starlight", in allusion to the elven nature of the main characters. The word itself has only tangential relation with the plot, while being vaguely romantic and generic enough for the hackiest of hacks to use. From the moment of publication onward, writers cringe whenever they're about to write the word "starlight" out of fear of being associated with the fermenting spew that the voracious masses consume with the zeal of a full-grown Terrasque.

No matter how much the saga is hated, it only grows ever more popular, proving that the evil gods had a hand in it.

Still, a better love story than Twilight.

Wait, what?

Shadowknight12
2012-03-13, 06:54 PM
I'd read it.

Starlight is my favorite word, too.

A year ago, that statement would've cracked my sanity. Today, I come to the realisation that you can't crack what's been ground to fine dust.

Still, a better love story than Twilight.

Wait, what?

You're right. It needs more female oppression.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-03-13, 07:02 PM
Don't forget Mr. Fanservice falling in love with the baby high elf/drow elf spawn of the main character... while she's a newborn.

Ragnar Lodbroke
2012-03-13, 07:09 PM
You're right. It needs more female oppression.

And an Unholy Unborn Vampire Womb-eating Fetus. That "falls in love" just after being born with a grown man.
And that will remain underage forever

Game: Guess the content of the spoiler based on what I write under this.

God, it sounds like something a Lovecraftian character discovers before loosing his mind.

Hylas
2012-03-13, 07:10 PM
I know! I would just leaf the game after so many!

Yeah, but it's kinda what you get after the players pine for a large-scale battle to happen.

Shadowknight12
2012-03-13, 07:37 PM
Don't forget Mr. Fanservice falling in love with the baby high elf/drow elf spawn of the main character... while she's a newborn.

Of course. How could I forget. Must be all the brain bleach I took. Silly me. :smallamused:

And an Unholy Unborn Vampire Womb-eating Fetus. That "falls in love" just after being born with a grown man.
And that will remain underage forever

Game: Guess the content of the spoiler based on what I write under this.

God, it sounds like something a Lovecraftian character discovers before loosing his mind.

DM: "You take 5d10 Sanity damage."
PC: "Sure... I need a drink."
DM: "We all do."

Also yes, good description. So that's the vampire, evolved and spellwarped templates on the half-drow base race (half elf with darkvision instead of low light vision), and Lolth-touched for the extra Strength? The CR of that thing would be through the roof.

Palanan
2012-03-13, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Hylas
Yeah, but it's kinda what you get after the players pine for a large-scale battle to happen.

Clearly this thread is beginning to splinter.

Lucid
2012-03-13, 07:47 PM
. These puns are giving me a splitting headache, I shouldn't have logged in today.

Rubik
2012-03-13, 08:22 PM
That'd work if it was a Mind Flayer or Beholder's library - only a creature not of this reality could find such things enjoyable.Ted the Mindflayer gives it two thumbs up!

And a tentacle! (No, not THAT one...)

JKTrickster
2012-03-13, 08:31 PM
These puns are giving me a splitting headache, I shouldn't have logged in today.

Well you know how poplar tree puns are :smalltongue:

Agent 451
2012-03-13, 08:48 PM
Well you know how poplar tree puns are :smalltongue:

You sure are axing for it. :smallwink:

Rubik
2012-03-13, 08:50 PM
Is the bookwyrm a libertarian?

INoKnowNames
2012-03-13, 08:55 PM
These puns are giving me a splitting headache, I shouldn't have logged in today.

It took me an hour to get that....

Palanan
2012-03-13, 09:07 PM
You guys are really gumming things up. We need to move on to something more resinable.

Or am I just being a sap?

Hylas
2012-03-13, 10:13 PM
It certainly has branched off into its own creation.

Ragnar Lodbroke
2012-03-13, 10:14 PM
You guys are really gumming things up. We need to move on to something more resinable.

Or am I just being a sap?

You are right, this Canoak be!

I know, but they can't all be good. A prize to the one who can make a pun with "Mexican buckeye"

Ravens_cry
2012-03-13, 10:17 PM
I pine for the old topic, though it could use some sprucing up. Nutting wrong with the new one if you ash me, maybe it will stick.

Hylas
2012-03-13, 10:19 PM
You are right, this Canoak be!

I know, but they can't all be good.

Well, I for one, appreciate you going out on a limb like that.

Ragnar Lodbroke
2012-03-13, 10:24 PM
Thanks, the topic seems to be really taking root.

I'll come back and knock tomorrow.

Agent 451
2012-03-13, 10:56 PM
Good call. Yew don't want to miss anything!

Palanan
2012-03-13, 11:38 PM
That's fir sure.

JKTrickster
2012-03-14, 12:24 AM
I'm releaved I'm not the only one who took a lichen for the change of topic!

Let's till it like it is!

Not technically all tree related, but I had to start branching out or it would have turned into an absolute debarkle!

Alleran
2012-03-14, 12:28 AM
I suppose tree puns are better than those lumbering bear puns the Playground usually goes for in this sort of thread.

absolmorph
2012-03-14, 01:32 AM
I suppose tree puns are better than those lumbering bear puns the Playground usually goes for in this sort of thread.
Yeah, those usually get pretty grizzly.
I cedaresemblance, though.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-14, 01:47 AM
I can't bear to think what you peoples wood come up with next.
I myself refuse to panda to such impulses.

Elemental
2012-03-14, 02:07 AM
I think we may need to start a thread somewhere so that people can talk randomly in puns...

Alleran
2012-03-14, 02:08 AM
I think we may need to start a thread somewhere so that people can talk randomly in puns...
They are quite poplar.

JKTrickster
2012-03-14, 02:11 AM
They are quite poplar.

Your pun is unbeleafable, espescially since I used it already :smalltongue:

But I don't cedar need for a new thread. This one is blossoming just fine!

Ravens_cry
2012-03-14, 02:19 AM
It may knot be what the OP intended, but we seem to be in a-cord on this one.

Seharvepernfan
2012-03-14, 02:56 AM
I like trees.

...wait

Alleran
2012-03-14, 05:03 AM
Your pun is unbeleafable, espescially since I used it already :smalltongue:
Well, I was pining after a better one, but I was a bit pressed for time. I maple to throw out a few others on oakasion, but why go against the grain?

Elemental
2012-03-14, 05:27 AM
These puns, they're destroying my soul!
I think I'll just box myself into my room and not come out...

Palanan
2012-03-14, 12:46 PM
See, this is the sort of conversation you'd expect in some seedy dive in Moss Eisley.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-14, 01:09 PM
These puns, they're destroying my soul!
I think I'll just box myself into my room and not come out...
I can't decide if this was intentional or not.
If so, well played.:smallamused:

INoKnowNames
2012-03-14, 01:20 PM
...This is going to suck....

The situation is growing out of control... my sanity is wilting away...

Agent 451
2012-03-14, 02:10 PM
...This is going to suck....

The situation is growing out of control... my sanity is wilting away...

Time to make like a tree and leaf then.

Shadowknight12
2012-03-14, 02:11 PM
This thread is deciduously insane.

Agent 451
2012-03-14, 02:20 PM
It's becoming close to high treeson!

Kuulvheysoon
2012-03-14, 02:28 PM
This thread is deciduously insane.

I'll admit, this is the best pun that I've seen yet. I treed to find a better one, but I failed.

Agent 451
2012-03-14, 02:30 PM
I'll admit, this is the best pun that I've seen yet.

I wholeheartedly conifer.

CGforever!
2012-03-14, 05:08 PM
This has gotten out of hand, people. It started off all subtle and clever, but (I hate being the one point this out) regrettably has sunk to a sad low state. The puns are overbearing. They are painfully obvious. We can all see it. Everyone is stretching the joke too far coming up with new puns. We need new humor to fix this situation. Any erstwhile alternative literary humor we could use? I don't know how much more of these puns I can take. They sycamore than yo mama jokes.

:D

Hylas
2012-03-14, 06:07 PM
It may knot be what the OP intended, but we seem to be in a-cord on this one.

It was always my intention to needle you guys with a linguistical assault.

Ragnar Lodbroke
2012-03-14, 06:21 PM
All this puns are making me sleepy.

Yaaaaaaaaaaarn

Alleran
2012-03-14, 06:30 PM
This has gotten out of hand, people. It started off all subtle and clever, but (I hate being the one point this out) regrettably has sunk to a sad low state. The puns are overbearing. They are painfully obvious.
I agree - some of them are really sapping my mental health away and driving me nuts.

Rubik
2012-03-14, 06:30 PM
Baa. All you people are sheep.

Shadowknight12
2012-03-14, 06:33 PM

Meeeeeh. You do what you must.

Hylas
2012-03-14, 06:46 PM
Ewe have got to be kidding, now we're doing sheep? The this is sheer nonsense.

Lucid
2012-03-14, 06:53 PM
Haven't you herd, they'll keep on ramming those puns down your throat here.

Ragnar Lodbroke
2012-03-14, 06:54 PM
I hit my hand against the table accidentaly from laughing too hard.

Now it's swoollen!

mikau013
2012-03-14, 07:02 PM

Did someone call for sheep people (http://xkcd.com/1013/)?!

Shadowknight12
2012-03-14, 07:03 PM
Aw, ship.

Yeah, I did it.

Seharvepernfan
2012-03-14, 07:27 PM
This has gotten out of hand, people. It started off all subtle and clever, but (I hate being the one point this out) regrettably has sunk to a sad low state. The puns are overbearing. They are painfully obvious. We can all see it. Everyone is stretching the joke too far coming up with new puns. We need new humor to fix this situation. Any erstwhile alternative literary humor we could use? I don't know how much more of these puns I can take. They sycamore than yo mama jokes.

:D

T
r
E
e
s

Was this intentional?!?

JKTrickster
2012-03-14, 11:52 PM
T
r
E
e
s

Was this intentional?!?

That would be amazing. Puns taken into a whole other dimension!

But regardless of the puns we use, we better not let this thread wither! Forget those baaaaaad bear puns! Let's bleat the competition!

Ewe have got to be kidding, now we're doing sheep? The this is shear nonsense.

Fixed it for you :smalltongue:

Alleran
2012-03-15, 04:05 AM
Haven't you herd, they'll keep on ramming those puns down your throat here.
Until a moderator decides to put an end to it. Best keep a sheep-eyed watch out for one.

Elemental
2012-03-15, 04:13 AM
I can't decide if this was intentional or not.
If so, well played.:smallamused:

You got me!
All I can say is, fifty points to you.