PDA

View Full Version : Getting little brother into gaming - help/suggestions

Silus
2012-03-12, 02:34 AM
Ok, here's the thing. I want to try and get my younger brother into gaming but he's not for really anything that I've suggested (Star Wars, Pathfinder, D&D, Shadowrun, D20 Modern/Future and Deathwatch), probably due to my bungling of early gaming attempts (Like trying to play D&D 3.0 without really knowing all the rules and taking over his Warhammer 40k army when he lost interest).

So I'm looking for suggestions on...well, anything. Game systems to try, whether the whole idea is foolish and futile, ect.

He's into lacrosse, he's in ROTC and is looking at getting into a career in the Army, and his...ugh, pastimes are watching TV (Friends, UFC, military stuff, ect) and going to the gym. One of my friends maintains that he's a meathead and is, more or less, a lost cause in terms of any sort of gaming barring Munchkin.

I wanna try to find something we connect with that does not involve my muscles aching for days from working out.

Xiander
2012-03-12, 02:40 AM
Where does he stand on comicbook supeheroes?

Silus
2012-03-12, 02:42 AM
Where does he stand on comicbook supeheroes?

He's aware of the basic Marvel and DC characters (those that the movies are made of) but he does not read the comics as far as I know. Or really any comics as far as I know of.

kenjigoku
2012-03-12, 02:43 AM
After years of trying to get my meathead little brother to play, I found it a disaster.

If your brother is not interested I would suggest not trying to play with him. Even if you can hook him, his dislike for this sort of gaming will only lead to a poisoned game at best.

Silus
2012-03-12, 02:44 AM
After years of trying to get my meathead little brother to play, I found it a disaster.

If your brother is not interested I would suggest not trying to play with him. Even if you can hook him, his dislike for this sort of gaming will only lead to a poisoned game at best.

*Nods* I kinda figured that the whole "get my brother involved with gaming" venture would fail.

kenjigoku
2012-03-12, 02:48 AM
*Nods* I kinda figured that the whole "get my brother involved with gaming" venture would fail.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, I mean YMMV. But in general, if someone does not want to play RPGs, when they do play they tend to poison the game :(. Maybe someday everyone will be a RPGer.

Silus
2012-03-12, 02:51 AM
Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, I mean YMMV. But in general, if someone does not want to play RPGs, when they do play they tend to poison the game :(. Maybe someday everyone will be a RPGer.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. Tried to get him in on an OWoD game and he wanted to make like...a Seal Team 6 werewolf that, as he put it, "would just ruin things for everyone" or something to that effect.

Gonna have to remember to be just as steadfast with my "no, I'm not interested in X at all and I don't want to do it" type stuff. Wearing cowboy boots, drinking Jagerbombs, Miller, Bud or Shiner, listening to Dubstep, ect. Hell, at least I'd normally give those things a shot.

*Grumbles and glowers*

kenjigoku
2012-03-12, 02:53 AM
My brother played a Paladin that was the biggest stick in the mud since Miko.

Silus
2012-03-12, 02:59 AM
I'm pretty convinced that there's a whole "peer pressure" aspect to the whole not wanting to try tabletop gaming. He and I were pretty opposite in High School. I had the whole "Feh, peer pressure, whatever, I DO WHAT I WANT!" where he always went with the crowd (or at least what was "normal").

And it's not even an educated dislike.

Me: "Hey, wanna try Savage Worlds?"
Him: "No, I don't want to play any of that D&D stuff."

THEN LATER!

Him: "Hey, let's go to the gym, get your swell on."
Me: *Relaxing on couch reading through a Pathfinder book or browsing the 'net* "Eh...no thanks."
Him: "Oh come on. *Proceeds to nag*"
Me: "*Swears* FINE!" *Growls and goes to get dressed for the gym*

Dr.Epic
2012-03-12, 06:30 AM
Sit him down and explain the abridged rules to D&D. Just really combat and stuff like that. Then have the gaming sessions be about things that would interest him and focus more on the RP than combat at first. Don't have it be too serious ans strict.

Xiander
2012-03-12, 06:32 AM
He's aware of the basic Marvel and DC characters (those that the movies are made of) but he does not read the comics as far as I know. Or really any comics as far as I know of.

The reason i ask is that I would like to suggest Icons. It is a very rules light superhero system. It is build around comic book cliches, but that can be downplayed.

The reason i suggest it is that your brother seems like the type who might enjoy playing a character based on wolverine (or any other macho movie super hero) and this game lets you do that without to much fuzz about rules.

Reluctance
2012-03-12, 06:41 AM
Tabletop RPGs are a lost cause. I mean, I don't get why a Seal Team 6 style werewolf is necessarily bad, but it sounds like a fundamental disconnect.

Thankfully, "gaming" is quite broad. Board games are a weak maybe. Blasting various sorts of bad things into their component polygons, everybody is into. Find multiplayer computer/console games that he's into. Be willing to take up one of his interests.

On that note, what sort of gym stuff does he do? If it's just reps, I can understand being bored lifting weights. If there's a class of some sort, take it up. You'll learn something new, you'll wind up healthier, and it'll be a bonding excuse.

Totally Guy
2012-03-12, 08:57 AM
Ask if he'd like to join you at a gaming convention. I took my younger brother out to a con on saturday and he really enjoyed it.

He talked for an hour about his game of My Life With Master on the car trip home.

eepop
2012-03-12, 10:08 AM
If you really want to get him into tabletop RPGs, DM a campaign where the theme is something he is interested in.

Roleplaying is about getting to play the role of people that interest you. If werewolves, elves, or superheroes don't interest him, make it about the people that do interest him.

Sounds like he's big into the military. Make a campaign centered around a plain old human seal team. They are badass enough, they don't need to be werewolves or superheroes to be fun to roleplay them.

EDIT: And absolutely keep it to this premise! There is going to be a temptation to do something like, "and then X crazy thing happens and now you are all vampires". Don't start adding supernatural or fantasy elements just because you might get a little bored. This game should be about finding a middle ground with him, not dragging him kicking and screaming over to your side. If the campaign is a success, you will have all the time in the world to move on to more fantastical things.

Silus
2012-03-12, 11:18 AM
Tabletop RPGs are a lost cause. I mean, I don't get why a Seal Team 6 style werewolf is necessarily bad, but it sounds like a fundamental disconnect.

Thankfully, "gaming" is quite broad. Board games are a weak maybe. Blasting various sorts of bad things into their component polygons, everybody is into. Find multiplayer computer/console games that he's into. Be willing to take up one of his interests.

On that note, what sort of gym stuff does he do? If it's just reps, I can understand being bored lifting weights. If there's a class of some sort, take it up. You'll learn something new, you'll wind up healthier, and it'll be a bonding excuse.

It wasn't necessarily the Seal Team 6 thing, but the "I'm gonna ruin the game for everyone else" bit.

And it's mostly weighs/crossfit stuff. Like he'll go out jogging early with a weighted vest kinda stuff.

On a side note, I can barely move my arms from the Saturday workout he put me through.

Ask if he'd like to join you at a gaming convention. I took my younger brother out to a con on saturday and he really enjoyed it.

He talked for an hour about his game of My Life With Master on the car trip home.

I actually asked him if he would come to a gaming convention that's happening in April. The short answer was no.

If you really want to get him into tabletop RPGs, DM a campaign where the theme is something he is interested in.

Roleplaying is about getting to play the role of people that interest you. If werewolves, elves, or superheroes don't interest him, make it about the people that do interest him.

Sounds like he's big into the military. Make a campaign centered around a plain old human seal team. They are badass enough, they don't need to be werewolves or superheroes to be fun to roleplay them.

EDIT: And absolutely keep it to this premise! There is going to be a temptation to do something like, "and then X crazy thing happens and now you are all vampires". Don't start adding supernatural or fantasy elements just because you might get a little bored. This game should be about finding a middle ground with him, not dragging him kicking and screaming over to your side. If the campaign is a success, you will have all the time in the world to move on to more fantastical things.

I tried suggesting this with a D20 Modern game. You know, fast roping into a battle zone, taking out the enemy, rescuing pinned down squads, the whole shebang.

The response?

"Why do that thing for pretend when I'll be able to do that for real?" (Or something to that effect)

TurtleKing
2012-03-12, 11:51 AM
Sounds like a lost cause.

Though if still interested in getting him to try then do a little research into D&D before it was D&D. Point is your brother is in ROTC and if he makes it could be in a leadership position. Many military leaders have maps showing their units as well the known enemy units. Those military leaders run simulations or similar in planning the missions. So could bring up that this could be a teaching tool or at least help run simulations on battles engagements (better term) so to better plan the mission. So if your brother seems like to be a strategist or at least aspiring to lead then you still have hope.

Silus
2012-03-12, 11:59 AM

Though if still interested in getting him to try then do a little research into D&D before it was D&D. Point is your brother is in ROTC and if he makes it could be in a leadership position. Many military leaders have maps showing their units as well the known enemy units. Those military leaders run simulations or similar in planning the missions. So could bring up that this could be a teaching tool or at least help run simulations on battles engagements (better term) so to better plan the mission. So if your brother seems like to be a strategist or at least aspiring to lead then you still have hope.

Well he's mentioned either wanting to get into Armor, Military Intelligence or Infantry. I think the "endgame" for him is to get into Ranger school.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-03-12, 11:59 AM

So... Warhammer? Warhammer 40k? Axis and Allies?

Try a D20 Modern or GURPS game. Zombie apocalypse. If he says "why do that thing for pretend when I'll be able to do that for real?" or even equates it to your other D20 Modern game you suggested, but with zombies, he really is a lost cause.

TurtleKing
2012-03-12, 12:16 PM
Well if Military Intelligence then you still have a chance. Ranger school however makes me think wants to be a glorified grunt with special skills. Note I am not putting down soldiers at all. Besides I am a Veteran so I can speak with some experience. Well if going that route get him Private Murphy: http://www.pvtmurphy.com/. Think he will find that hilarious.

Totally Guy
2012-03-12, 12:23 PM
Then let him be.

bokodasu
2012-03-12, 02:27 PM
On the one hand, I've played with lots of military guys - one of my friends even started a wargaming group while deployed in Iraq (so there goes his "but I can do that in real life!" argument). They may have a slightly different focus in their games than you're used to, or not - I've played with guys who are all about the tactics and strategy, and others who just want to let out their inner elf, but it's all good. See if you can find an RPG related to one of his favorite shows, if that's what he's into. (Or tweak one to fit - I played a FUDGE Firefly game with some Navy guys that was superfun.)

On the other hand, if he's not interested, he's not interested, quit bugging him.

(Also, Shiner has the hands-down best brewery tour in the US, so don't go knocking them.)

Silus
2012-03-12, 03:41 PM
On the other hand, if he's not interested, he's not interested, quit bugging him.

(Also, Shiner has the hands-down best brewery tour in the US, so don't go knocking them.)

Yeah, I figure I'll stop pestering him so much. If a game is going on and here's around (In the same building or room or something) then I'll probably extend an invitation, but yeah, no more "Oh come on, you should totally play!".

Also, I'm more of a Guinness kinda guy myself.