PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Power Adapter Issues

Castaras
2012-03-12, 06:23 AM
So, I got meself a new laptop about 3 weeks ago. The power adapter has issues, however. But I can't seem to work out what the issue is. Basically - it'll be plugged into my computer, charging it up, then the adapter light will turn off and it will act like it has no power in it. This is solved by unplugging, then replugging after 3 seconds. Then the cycle begins again.

Normally I'd assume overheating, but this only happens half the time. The other half it works perfectly fine. I've even in frustration turned off the laptop, left it exactly where it is, replugged in the adapter, and it'll still be working perfectly the next morning.

So I'm guessing it's a loose connection somewhere in the powersocket cable, which means that a slight change of position solves the issue. Haven't yet worked out a fool-proof method of keeping it working. However, I'm really not wanting to send off for a new adapter or complain to people about it (poor student, plus all the effort that would take trying to explain a problem I'm not too sure of myself to people in a little cubicle and a thick accent I can hardly understand - no offence intended to anyone who works in techsupport, but this is the normal situation for me when it comes to calling up people). Any suggestions on how to solve this, or a place to try find a new power adapter, or even just an idea on what the problem is with the little black box?

Archonic Energy
2012-03-12, 06:49 AM
what type of plug does it use?

is there a cable, box then a cable. or do you plug the box into the wall?

have you tried contacting your supplier?

Castaras
2012-03-12, 07:03 AM
Not sure how to identify which jack it uses, but it's some sort of jack thing. Plug is a normal british plug socket.

Cable - box - cable.

Haven't contacted supplier yet, want to have a better idea of what the issue is before I start complaining to people.

factotum
2012-03-12, 07:49 AM
It's actually possible the power adapter is on the way out--the old PSU on my Dell laptop started doing this trick of randomly deciding whether it was going to work or not, and I assumed it was the connection as well, until the thing stopped working entirely! Does the actual adapter have a light on it so you can see if it's working at the times when the laptop isn't being charged?

Archonic Energy
2012-03-12, 08:18 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320

which one?
:smallbiggrin:

have a question? there's a wiki page for that.