PDA

View Full Version : Tieflings make a second pact

Mandrake
2012-03-12, 12:07 PM
Hi!

I'm starting to DM a campaign for a group of friends and one of them decided that she wants to play a tiefling bastard princess whose parents (queen and not-her-real-father the king) had to give up their throne because

in state of civil disapproval and unhappiness they wanted to find a way to appease the dominant tiefling race and few less present races living in the kingdom, and the queen had a "brilliant" idea of making a new pact. They did this without notifying anyone else and when it somehow leaked outside the castle, people were very, very unhappy, so they had to leave. She never met her parents, but her real father (the councilor) thought her magic and took care of her until his recent death, just after telling her all that you can read here. She is the only person carrying the side-effects of the second pact: MC warlock and cannot speak Supernal, not even repeat it (maybe can learn to understand, didn't think of that), so that she cannot make a new pact with another devil, ever, nor can anyone tainted by the second pact (her dead mother, for example).

Also, adds she, the members of that close circle of makers of the original pact (lets call them The Bearers, sounds better in my mother tongue) that produced the Tiefling race, or their offspring, must be present in a certain number in the world or every tiefling will die or worse (haven't decided on the number yet). Now, the councilor is one such offspring which makes her one as well. But, the number of other descendants is unknown, so she is most certainly advised to reproduce.

The problem is that the second pact is somehow... evil, a bad idea, a big mistake, and she better not give it to anyone else, like her child.

I need help with:
1) What was the benefit of the second pact? Except for the obvious MC Warlock boons provided for a PC, what is the benefit a king and queen with unhappy subjugates could have?
2) What is the price that had/has to be paid? What can we expect from the devils?
3) Why is it such a big, big problem walking around with a second pact and, even worse, spreading it to your children?
4) Who do you suppose the first pact maker was? Could there be an opposing devil trying to usurp something? Who would he be, then?
5) She doesn't know anything about her father's later days - meaning you can add another carrier of the second pact.
6) Anything else I didn't mention, any other idea, critics or advice, balloons, even.

Thank you in advance for making it sound and epic.

ChaosOS
2012-03-12, 05:33 PM
1) Depends. You have a few choices, but
A. Food supplies
B. Money Supplies
C. Domination over subjects
D. Zombification of subjects (All subjects turned into zombies, souls go to the devils)

2) Depends on your choice above, D I covered. Additional:
A. Eternal souls of all involved (Meh)
B. When a pact-bearer dies, their soul instead of going to the devils stays on earth, trapped their and under complete control of the devils.
C. Some seemingly innocuous object that "happened" to be in their vaults, secretly a super powerful artifact put there for some magical reason

3) Answered by the first two choices in the previous, but additionally:
A. Strengthens infernal ties to the plane, once you hit a critical mass of second-pact bearers devils can open a portal
B. Degenerative disease passed on by bearers of the second pact that turns them into Typhoid Mary's

4) Depends if you're using the classical 9 hells as presented in many sources. If so, I think it's Mephistoles who is constantly trying to usurp Asmodeus.
A. Asmodeus I think would be the obvious original pact-maker
B. The original was Mephistoles and this is an Asmodeus pact. A pact with Asmodeus would allow him to easily gain enough power to escape Baator, thereby making him a lot more of a threat

5) Lead advisor, knows the whole details of the WHY of the second pact, extremely powerful warlock, suggested the idea in the first place. Slightly cliche, but straightforward, and all you have to do to beat the metagaming/genre savvy is make him a "Wise Mentor Figure" and fake his death at some point.

6) Have fun! I hope the response helped