PDA

View Full Version : 3.5e- Another Optimizating Build Question

Hiro
2012-03-12, 02:14 PM
Sorry if it seems so annoying.

I'm working on a character for a long running RP where only base races are allowed (though there's no limit on classes.)

Currently we're starting at lvl 1 but plan to run through 15 or 16 or so depending on how things go. But the catch is: all the PC's have to be Female (yeah the DM is kind of into that concept atm. something different considering 90% of the dnd "heroes" people tend to make are male)

28 point buy system (blaaargh)
Max HP at first level and Max gold (as iti means anything)

But I've got this to start with: Any suggestions on how to grow this character into as close to awesome as possible? (Conceptually centric on Saber from FSN and that type.)

Link= http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=380140

gbprime
2012-03-12, 02:22 PM
You're going to get a lot of suggestions involving Tome of Battle and not choosing Fighter. :smallamused:

But what do you want to focus on? (damage dealing, magic resisting, leadership?) And how close to the fictional character do you want to stay?

Hiro
2012-03-12, 02:32 PM
Focus: Well I can't change the Fighter part. the Caveat in the character creation was that they had to be of the base 11 classes. And Human Fighters get the most bang for the buck at first level.

I was going with a balanced approach (given the stats) so probably someone that can take damage and deal it out as well. (IE don't let your mouth write checks your sword arm/armor can't cash.) But there's a way to put in magical defense: all the better!

And how close: Not super close; but that type of "flavor" you could say.

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-12, 02:36 PM
Why can't you change the Fighter thing?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80415

Even within the base 11 classes, there is lots of interesting stuff you can do!

That, for example, restricts books to core (or maybe core + cw + srd).

If you could pick Ranger and not have restricted books at all, there is a WHOLE LOT of crazy stuff you could do, too!

Hirax
2012-03-12, 02:37 PM
Barbarian1/fighter4/pious templar10 is works great in my experience.

Keld Denar
2012-03-12, 02:44 PM
I think you should try to do something with that Cha score. You are only 2 points short of being able to take Imperious Command. If you could get a +2 Cha cloak by level 6, you could nab it there. Can you change any of your first few feats? Or your first level? Get Barbarian1 as your first level, and get Extra Rage and Intimidating Rage as your first 2 feats. Then take a couple levels in Fighter to get your Power Attack and whatever else you want. As soon as you can, take Imperious Command from Drow of the Underdark. That will allow you to Cower anyone around you when you swing into Rage. That's a pretty awesome tactic.

Hiro
2012-03-12, 02:48 PM
This is true and why can't I change it? DM says basically. If it were my game I wouldn't limit it.

I can do that. But I'd need to take teh barbarian as teh second or third class. And no the first level is basically locked in unfortunately.

It may work to understand the char a little here too:

She's effectively been raised as a soldier or a )blech) knight (I hate the class. I can understand it being "duty0bound" and all but as teh books have it: it's basically a non-divine paladin... but some of the defensive skills are interesting)

Effectively trying to live up to that expectation of greatness.

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-12, 02:53 PM
You do know that Horizon Tripper is a passable Fighter/Ranger/Barbarian build?

I mean, my personal favorite version is the Core+SRD version...

http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=55074

That's just Ranger/Barbarian (the barbarian has acf's).

And the concept is to play it with basically identical fluff to a fighter! Identical. Except you can use wands of cure light wounds and go into 'the zone', a sort of very focused combat trance (coughragecough).

You totally ignore the two weapon fighting bit, too!

Plus you are using weapons that make you actually, you know, useful in combat (unlike longsword and light shield, blech!)

Core+SRD doesn't have too many useful combat styles with useful weapons...

There's Greatswords, Guisarmes, Spiked Chains, Falchions, Spiked Heavy Shields...

Some useful Core+SRD weapons...

+1 Psychokinetic Adamantine Spiked Chain

+1 Psychokinetic Adamantine Greatsword

+1 Spell Storing Adamantine Guisarme (put, say, Hold Person or some other debuff in it)

+1 Keen Adamantine Falchion

+1 Heartening Bashing Darkwood Heavy Shield with +1 Psychokinetic Adamantine Shield Spikes (This would be used two handed as a primary weapon, so as to get two handed weapon bonuses with shield bonuses. fighting two handed with a single spiked shield is a realistic, historic combat style, btw.)

Hiro
2012-03-12, 02:58 PM
The base equipment on there is basically what I can afford with fighter's starting gold + one reasonable "gift" (which is the armor in this case)

And you're right. that Horizon Tripper does work well.

the equip is only limited by the gold and teh DM decided to be nice implying late rwe get to "rebuild" the char's inventory according tot he actual gold-based on level you find in the PhB II

Two weapon fighting while nifty takes WAY too many feats to make it viable.

Fun Stuff: I can use whatever books I want for the later levels and equip the DM basically said that teh first few levels have to be core and SRD but after that it's possible to use what we want short of Psionics and classes out of the ToB (feats are open though.)

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-12, 02:59 PM
Thats why I dont do two weapon fighting, at all, ever! Horizon Tripper isnt a two weapon fighter...

So are you switching to Horizon Tripper?

Hiro
2012-03-12, 03:01 PM
It seems like it'd be something interesting to attempt given the situation.

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-12, 03:06 PM
If you want to stick with one class, and have open book availability, but have to stay in the core books for your class choice itself... here's an idea.

A Ranger who focuses on melee combat, with fighter like fluff, for example, might have the following ACF's:

Arcane Hunter (Complete Mage)
Skilled City Dweller (Cityscape Web Enhancement; Ride for Tumble)
Trap Expert (Dungeonscape)
Spiritual Connection (Complete Champion)
Spiritual Guide (Complete Champion)
Strong Arm Ranger (Dragon Magazine 326)

Just describe him as a Fighter with a few tricks he can do.

Hiro
2012-03-12, 03:19 PM
" Spiritual Connection (Complete Champion)
Spiritual Guide (Complete Champion)"

Uh...what? What in the world are these?

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-12, 03:35 PM
These are various options to replace class features the ranger gets...

If you are restricted to core CLASSES but not core books that change things in those classes... than you can use splatbooks that change things in those classes to be more the way you want. Make sense?

Those two options you mentioned are on page 50 of the book Complete Champion.

Hiro
2012-03-12, 03:58 PM
I see. Well I have that book at home. So I will read the details on it when i get a chance *nods*

I can use splatbooks if I want yes.

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-12, 04:00 PM
Do you have the other books? Complete Mage, Dungeonscape, Dragon Magazine #326? Of course, other options might be more POWERFUL, but those are the ones that are easiest to describe as being more martial, and more useful...

Hiro
2012-03-12, 04:10 PM
I have virtually allof the 3.5e splatbooks other than dungeonscape and heroes of horror. But none of the dragon's sorry

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-12, 05:19 PM
See if you can get your hands on Dungeonscape and that Dragon Magazine. Also look at Dragon Magic, for Phynxkin Companion.