PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Best way to cast spells in a social setting?

macdaddy
2012-03-12, 03:56 PM
As a wizard, I am looking for a good way to cast spells in a social setting. There is a good skill trick in the complete scoundrel, but it is based on sleight of hand opposed by spot. Will work against some, but not consistently with out a HUGE investment of skill points.

What other ways are available besides adding still spell, invisible spell and eschew components?

p.s.
I am playing as a beguiler/wizard/ultimate magus, so i can hey some sleight of hand

Feralventas
2012-03-12, 04:22 PM
Well, if you're trying to avoid notice in your 'casting then yes, Slight of Hand for your 'casting via the skill trick is certainly a good choice. Still and Silent spell will be your friends for prepared 'casting, but don't forget that spell-casting can be done in public in some cases (especially in settings where you won't get lynched for magic-ing). In that case, I'd suggest picking up False Theurgy to 'cast and convince the other 'casters in the area that you're only casting an Illusion of Godzilla instead of summoning him.

Personally, if you want to get away with 'casting without someone noticing, I'd suggest bard and singing your spells via Melodic Casting, but that's probably not on the table if you'd rather go for the Beguiler's 9th level 'casting.

You can also 'cast through a Familiar for delivering touch spells.
"Oh what a cute little kitty!"
BZZZZZAPT.

Psyren
2012-03-12, 04:28 PM
Don't bother with the skill trick - the Sleight of Hand skill was expanded in Races of Stone to let you hide your casting, and this was given additional legitimacy by being reprinted in Rules Compendium (pg 117.)

UNOBTRUSIVE SPELLCASTING

As part of casting a spell, you can make a Sleight of Hand check to make your verbal and somatic components less obtrusive, muttering magic words under your breath and making magic gestures surreptitiously. Your Sleight of Hand check is opposed by any observer’s Spot check. The observer’s success doesn’t prevent you from casting the spell, but it keeps you from doing it unnoticed.