PDA

View Full Version : Did I miss anything about the psicrystal?

Raendyn
2012-03-12, 05:01 PM
I play a psion the last months and he has reached lvl 10 eventually.

My primary attack method is crystal shard via Dorje. I also have Dorje mastery so with 4500 I have 50 x 10D6.

Now I wanna give a Dorje to my psicrystal and I wonder:
Does the HD increase give it Skil points?
Is UPD class skill for constructs?
It says it uses owners ranks, but is there anyway I can give it other bonuses?
Can Psicrystals wear items?

If a psicrystal dies, whats the procedure to get it back? just repairing it back to positive hit points do anything?

Can someone clarify if the +2 bonus for reactivation applies only to blind activation or its general bonus?

Coidzor
2012-03-12, 09:16 PM
HD should give it skillpoints, as it is an intelligent creature. As for what count as class skills... I don't recall that it was ever clarified. :/

If you could aid another or get a buff spell cast on it, that would give the psicrystal a bonus. There's a couple of spells, such as guidance of the avatar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a) and I believe Master's Touch(PHB2 version) which provide a hefty bonus to skill checks or a single skill check.

Raendyn
2012-03-13, 07:27 AM
TY, I thought that it should get skill points, but class skills for constructs are nowhere to be found...

Anyone can help with the rest of the questions?

Big Fau
2012-03-13, 09:41 AM
If a psicrystal dies, whats the procedure to get it back? just repairing it back to positive hit points do anything?

There isn't a method of restoring it, so it's entirely up to the DM. Wish/Miracle/Reality Revision should do the trick in most cases, as resurrecting a Construct is well within the safe powers of either spell, but it is ultimately the DM's decision.

That said, Psycrystrals are nigh invulnerable compared to a Familiar. Vigor+Shared Pain=Tank Crystal.

Need_A_Life
2012-03-13, 10:06 AM
Well, re-training Feat Psicrystal Affinity [Artisan] into Psicrystal Affinity [Diplomatic] would get you a new one :smalltongue:

I'd say that the following are decent class skills:
3.5: Concentration, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Tumble.
PF: Acrobatics Stealth, Perception.
Add any non-physical skills that seem appropriate. I'd question, however, having a Psicrystal who speaks languages its owner doesn't or has more ranks in a Knowledge skill than its owner.

The Glyphstone
2012-03-13, 10:10 AM
Well, re-training Feat Psicrystal Affinity [Artisan] into Psicrystal Affinity [Diplomatic] would get you a new one :smalltongue:

I'd say that the following are decent class skills:
3.5: Concentration, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Tumble.
PF: Acrobatics Stealth, Perception.
Add any non-physical skills that seem appropriate. I'd question, however, having a Psicrystal who speaks languages its owner doesn't or has more ranks in a Knowledge skill than its owner.

Maybe if it was a Sage crystal - in addition to knowing something you do, it knows a whole bunch of stuff you don't.

Urpriest
2012-03-13, 10:29 AM
Guys, this looks pretty explicit: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm)

Skills

A psicrystal has the same skill ranks as its owner, except that it has a minimum of 4 ranks each in Spot, Listen, Move Silently, and Search. (Even if its owner has no ranks in these skills, a psicrystal has 4 ranks in each.) A psicrystal uses its own ability modifiers on skill checks.

This looks like the psicrystal's skill ranks are automatically set the same as the master. Even if the psicrystal was allowed to allocate its own skill points, its class skills would be Spot, Listen, Move Silently, and Search because it has ranks in them by default, and Climb because it has a racial bonus to it. If we're going by the monster rules anyway.

Rubik
2012-03-13, 08:34 PM
Guys, this looks pretty explicit: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm)

This looks like the psicrystal's skill ranks are automatically set the same as the master. Even if the psicrystal was allowed to allocate its own skill points, its class skills would be Spot, Listen, Move Silently, and Search because it has ranks in them by default, and Climb because it has a racial bonus to it. If we're going by the monster rules anyway.+1

However, psicrystals can use magic items, though not slotted ones (since they don't have body parts for slots to work on), and they DO get feats, just as any other intelligent creature with HD.